The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Post Game Analysis, Jan. 31 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3225851

Maple Leafs coach Paul Maurice expressed displeasure with some of the other calls, as well. There was a Hurricanes goal he thought should have been waved off because of a high stick. Maple Leafs forward Jason Blake's apparent goal was waved off after a video review. And Carolina defenseman Tim Gleason fell on a puck in the crease, which ordinarily would result in a penalty shot.

"You know, there's a good story here," Maurice told the Toronto media. "It was a high-stick goal, Blake's puck was in the net, Gleason fell in the crease and it was a lousy call on Antropov.

"But that's my judgment. That's the way I feel, that's the way the hockey players feel. That's what the camera looked like to me."

Cry me a freaking river, Paul.

The officiating was good/bad both ways. Brindy gets cut on a high stick that isn't called, so what would've been a double minor never happened. Blake's puck did not cross the line completely, and no camera shows otherwise. The "high-stick" goal apparently was good because Walker's stick was not above the crossbar and the video judge saw it that way. As for Gleason falling on a puck, I thought the rule was using your glove in the crease? Whatever... And Sundin's goal was a fortuitous one because countless goals have been waved off for less movement of the skate. Let's not even go into how many other non-calls there were, both ways.

CRY ME A RIVERRRRRRRRRR

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3225851''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3225851' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3225851[/post]

Cry me a freaking river, Paul.

The officiating was good/bad both ways. Brindy gets cut on a high stick that isn't called, so what would've been a double minor never happened. Blake's puck did not cross the line completely, and no camera shows otherwise. The "high-stick" goal apparently was good because Walker's stick was not above the crossbar and the video judge saw it that way. As for Gleason falling on a puck, I thought the rule was using your glove in the crease? Whatever... And Sundin's goal was a fortuitous one because countless goals have been waved off for less movement of the skate. Let's not even go into how many other non-calls there were, both ways.

CRY ME A RIVERRRRRRRRRR

To be fair, the Leafs feed had a great view of the Blake shot. It definitely crossed the line. But the only way they found the puck was by zooming in and magnifying like 3 different times. Of course, it didn't help that both Cam and Commodore were reaching behind the line to get the puck.

True, the Canes did catch a few breaks tonight. But, they also had to take advantage ofthe breaks for them to do any good. They took advantage of the PP in OT, unlike other games in which they fialed to capitalize on breaks. A much needed win if not a pretty win.

To be fair, the Leafs feed had a great view of the Blake shot. It definitely crossed the line. But the only way they found the puck was by zooming in and magnifying like 3 different times. Of course, it didn't help that both Cam and Commodore were reaching behind the line to get the puck.

I watched the Leafs feed and couldn't find a conclusive view, as much as the magnified it, unfortunately it was impossible to tell from the angles they had....and although I'm about 80% sure that puck went over the line, fact is, by the book they cannot assume the puck is over the line, thats what the rule says..indisputable evidence is needed.

If no evidence is found, gotta go with what the ref calle don the ice. hence why walker's goal stood up even though it could've been a high stick (it was really hard to line his stick up with the crossbar), and the same reason why Sundin's goal counted. It was called a goal on the ice, but we can't tell if he intended to direct the puck in with his skate. So although maurice acts like his team got no good breaks, the tying goal definitely was a good break to score a flukey goal to tie the game with like 15 seconds to go.

I thought the one angle from in front of the net that FSN South had shown that the puck crossed the line. I also found it suspicious that they only played that angle once, and the video from about the goal which showed little was constantly shown. Probably should have been a goal and the Gleason cover-up in the crease should've been a penalty shot. What can you do though?

I thought the one angle from in front of the net that FSN South had shown that the puck crossed the line. I also found it suspicious that they only played that angle once, and the video from about the goal which showed little was constantly shown. Probably should have been a goal and the Gleason cover-up in the crease should've been a penalty shot. What can you do though?

What you do... is remember that sometimes the ref doesn't see things, or sees them from a different angle. (They don't have tv replays on the ice) And you remember that this happens to all teams. We all have games where calls are missed or downright wrong, or the bounces all go the opponets way.....Remember that god awful game in Florida (just one example) with the Panthers. I thought the officiating was ridiculous. Diving when someone with 5 inches and 30 pounds on you slams you into the baords, or when you're tackled from behind. We just have to remember that it happens to every team and to get over it and if the Leafs fans and coaches were honest they would admit that and quit whining.