The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jschifty

Watching the MSG broadcast

Somehow, DirecTV blessed us with MSG last night. I am not questioning it, just thankful! We don't have Center Ice, didn't have tickets for last night, and were prepared to listen to the radio broadcast. My husband found it on channel 621, and right after the game it said we had not purchased the channel. Go figure! Anyway, I got to compare a Canes broadcast with John & Tripp to the guys from MSG. While they were not as animated, they were informative. I did not have to listen to Tripp drone on about who he got a text from, who he had dinner with, and his five minutes as an NHL goalie. There was about a two week stretch when he kept saying "Well, John...in order to win our best players have to be our best players". It got so bad we muted the sound and tuned into the radio broadcast. Unfortunately, the radio and TV broadcast don't sync up. Don't get me wrong...I think John Forslund is the best play by play guy around! But Tripp can just ruin a game for me. I really want to hear commentary about what's going on in the game right now. I am still learning the game, even after years of watching and attending. I'd rather hear an explanation of what I just saw than a list of where and what you had at your last meal. Am I alone in this? Do I need to put on the flame retardant suit now?

Just my .02.

<crawling in the fire proof tent>

Sam Rosen is a great play by play announcer. B) who was on color? was it Micholetti? He is good as well.

I didnt think they were all that bad. They at least would compliment the 'canes when they deserved it. They didnt act like "homers" to me. I do wish they would have sounded like they were calling a hockey game and not The Masters on CBS...a little too monotone for me...made me miss Johnny and Tripp.

I watched on Center Ice (MSG) and thought the announcers did a good job....not hommies like some teams. They (correctly) called (IMO) the missed boarding call (against us) and the missed crosscheck call (against them) as well gave credit to the Canes forecheck.

Somehow, DirecTV blessed us with MSG last night. I am not questioning it, just thankful! We don't have Center Ice, didn't have tickets for last night, and were prepared to listen to the radio broadcast. My husband found it on channel 621, and right after the game it said we had not purchased the channel. Go figure!

There is a free preview of Center Ice this week, which I believe is owned/operated by iN DEMAND, which apparently sells the Center Ice package to cable and satellite providers, who resell it to you. You're on DirecTV, I'm on Time Warner, and we both got the MSG feed last night because of the free preview.

Just FYI :)

John is absoutely the best... However, his having played the position partner gets old really fast. Just got done going over the rags gdt on hf boards and it pretty much made my day. They tore apart everything. Their team, the officials, the other team, the crowd... Anyways, it takes a very impressive tv broadcast team to keep the excuses for their teams poor play out and compliment the other team on their good plays.

John is absoutely the best...

He was in Edmonton doing the Sharks/Oil late game on Versus last night. Even slipped in the "bullseye" for San Jose's late empty netter. I believe he'll be doing the late Calgary game tonight, as well.

As far as the MSG guys, they're not bad, but they're not among my favorites. Rosen and whatshisface are much better than the other MSG crew that works a certain team's games upstate.

I'm new here...didn't know this had been covered alredy...

Let me give you a heads up then. Pretty much whenever a Tripp bashing thread appears, it ends with everyone agreeing that Tripp, while a little annoying at times, does a good job of getting those "behind the scenes" details (which is why he keeps getting those text messages).

Let me give you a heads up then. Pretty much whenever a Tripp bashing thread appears, it ends with everyone agreeing that Tripp, while a little annoying at times, does a good job of getting those "behind the scenes" details (which is why he keeps getting those text messages).

Got it!

I missed the first period (sounds like I didn't miss much) and to be honest, I didn't mind the commentaters at all. They did a great job. However, if this is the same Sam Rosen that does NFL games, I have to say that I am shocked! It seems that it would be harder to remember NHL players' names, what with all the slovic and foreign pernounciations. He had the most trouble doing it with the Carolina Panthers when he and Big-Big-Big Bill Maas worked together on FOX here lately. Rosen kept calling Steve Smith Stephen Smith, he called Jake Delhomme Jake Plummer, and no matter which running back was in the back field, he was called Stephen Davis (who left prior to the 2005 season). Not to mention several several others. I mean, he couldn't get anyones name right! His famous quote "I mean ___, my appologies!"

I just thought that was strange... but, like I said, they did well.

There is a free preview of Center Ice this week, which I believe is owned/operated by iN DEMAND, which apparently sells the Center Ice package to cable and satellite providers, who resell it to you. You're on DirecTV, I'm on Time Warner, and we both got the MSG feed last night because of the free preview.

Just FYI :)

I just switched back to Directv and I got MSG last night because I have the Sports Pack that carries over 30 sports network including all the FSN broadcast.

Perhaps I've read this wrong, but this seems like another Tripp bashing thread.

I was going to say the same thing. Let's keep it on MSG or something but not another trashing thread.

The original post said something about MSG then went to directly to 2K words of Tripp bashing. Enough is enough. Get center ice and listen to the other teams and you will be thankful.

Back to MSG....can someone explain what they meant by saying the only reason we got the MSG feed on Directv last night was because of the free preview? Like I said in my earlier post I had just returned to Directv from Dish on Monday and I purchased the "Sports Package" and I get everything from FSN South to FSN North, college games, AHL games, along with a bunch of other stuff. I called back to add this for $12 because when I was looking for the channel monday night to find the Canes game for Tues. I couldn't get it and got mad and I started looking for other game dates and nothing so I knew that it wasn't just because it wasn't an aired game. I called them and they added the package for me and was able to catch the remaining of the AHL All-Star game.

I think both Sam Rosen and Forslund are awesome...I know Sam does NFL games for Fox on Sundays, he does an awesome job. However, if you heard him last night, he didn't sound too good as he was clearly losing his voice.

In terms of Tripp Tracy, he really isn't that bad, if you watched the color commentator enough times you'll find negative things about them that gets on your nerves.

^^ C&E fan - Center Ice is running a free preview this week..Thats where i watched the game...but for some weird reason, i was able to get MSG channnel also...it was showing the same game feed. But i dont have the same FSN package you have...all i get is FSN-south.

Sam Rosen is a great play-by-play man. I used to watch games on MSG all the time back when I was growing up. He a JD were quite the team. His signature phrase is "Its a power play goal." Now only if I could stomach the Rangers team.

I'm new here...didn't know this had been covered alredy...

Unfortunetly it will probably be covered alot more,,,lol,,cuz it doesn't take long to get sick of Tripp!!!Its usually a breath of fresh air not have to listen to Tripp and all of his nonsense! So welcome to the "sick of Tripp club"

I didn't mind it. I had to keep reminding myself that we were playing here in Raleigh. Kinda threw me off a few times. Whenever there was a stoppage of play for a penalty, I would hear the crowd cheering and be like "CRAP what did we do now....OH WAIT that's OUR crowd cheering!!" HA HA! DUN DUN DUN DUN!!!!

The commentators were not as animated, but it was nice not hearing Tripp!!!!!! Very relaxing actually! I know, that's mean, but we've been through the Tripp thing before and alot of people know what I mean!

^^ C&E fan - Center Ice is running a free preview this week..Thats where i watched the game...but for some weird reason, i was able to get MSG channnel also...it was showing the same game feed. But i dont have the same FSN package you have...all i get is FSN-south.

I am a Direct TV subscriber. I can't speak for DISH or you cable TV viewers. Here is how it works on Direct TV.

NHL Center Ice offers 2 free promotions each season. Once at the start of the season, and once mid-season (usually after the all-star break). When a game is on Center Ice, it is also broadcast on the regional sports channel even though you do not subscribe to the regional sports channels. The same holds true for the NBA and MLB packages. They also offer a couple of free promotions to entice subscribers.

Oh...by the way, on Direct TV you can get a decent fill each week of NHL games without subscribing to NHL Center Ice. I usually can watch 6 or 7 games a week between our Hurricanes on FSN, and national games shown on Versus, the NHL Network and HD Net.

Back to MSG....can someone explain what they meant by saying the only reason we got the MSG feed on Directv last night was because of the free preview? Like I said in my earlier post I had just returned to Directv from Dish on Monday and I purchased the "Sports Package" and I get everything from FSN South to FSN North, college games, AHL games, along with a bunch of other stuff. I called back to add this for $12 because when I was looking for the channel monday night to find the Canes game for Tues. I couldn't get it and got mad and I started looking for other game dates and nothing so I knew that it wasn't just because it wasn't an aired game. I called them and they added the package for me and was able to catch the remaining of the AHL All-Star game.

DONT GET THE fSN SPORTS PACKAGE if you want to watch hockey games. all hockey games are blacked out when they come on. the only way you can watch all of the games is by purchasing center ice!

Back when Kovalev was a Ranger, I always wondered why Sam pronounced it "Koval-ov". Recently I found out that the Cyrillic spelling of Kovalev is "Ковалёв," the letter ё being pronounced "yo". So he was saying it right. I don't think he's as good an announcer as he used to be. Seems like his only adjective is "good": "Good pass by Gomez! Good hit by Tyutin! Good right hand by Orr!" But I'll never get tired of hearing his "It's a power play goal!" or "Save by Richter!"--I mean, Lundqvist!