The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
just-joe

Post-Game Analysis, Feb. 5th Cam Ward vs. Nashville Predators

Negative

Being one of 2 teams that have 4 players with 19 or more goals and being shut out for approx. 180 minutes. (going back to Saturday's game)

LaRose breaking his leg

Power Play

No one in front of the net

dumping and not chasing

Positive

Ward

Penalty Kill

Its a shame that Ward's awesome play tonight means diddly squat. The guys really wasted a great game by Ward, he was awesome and did exactly what he needed to do.

Wallin is worthless and where the hell was Commodore on the Preds goal. No reason why Wes was defending those 3 guys on his own. Hedican was pretty bad as well.

Negative

Being one of 2 teams that have 4 players with 19 or more goals and being shut out for approx. 180 minutes. (going back to Saturday's game)

LaRose breaking his leg

Power Play

No one in front of the net

dumping and not chasing

Positive

Ward

Penalty Kill

Its a shame that Ward's awesome play tonight means diddly squat. The guys really wasted a great game by Ward, he was awesome and did exactly what he needed to do.

Wallin is worthless and where the hell was Commodore on the Preds goal. No reason why Wes was defending those 3 guys on his own. Hedican was pretty bad as well.

I wrote up a big reply, but then my computer got faulty and you beat me to my number one thought. Where is our secret weapon? That was the most lazy effort I have seen in a long time. How much longer do we have to keep this secret and wait for it to show up. I agree worthless effort tonight and for the past few weeks. All of the defense played uninspired hockey. You think after being challenged for so long and being labelled as our biggest problem they might take on some pride and work a little harder. I am not seeing it, unless we are talking about the penalty kill. The one guy that was showing heart as of late and was hussling around the ice went down with a broken leg in the first period. We are going to miss his play. We didnt look horrible, but got nothing to show for it. Maybe next game we can show up and let Ward take a break from standing on his head. Also good to see Scotty showing more effort as of late.

Positives

Cam. He was AMAZING tonight. He was seeing the puck so well and was making amazing save after amazing save. It's wonderful to see him play with such confidence. Too bad his team didn't reward his play with a win, but hopefully he can keep his focus and pick up where he left off on Friday in Washington.

Letowski. I swear he suddenly looks like Brind'amour in the faceoff circle. I haven't seen his numbers, but he has looked really good in the circle.

Aucoin. He had some good chances tonight and was working hard on the boards. If he keeps his play up from tonight, the points will come.

Negatives

Commodore. :angry: Way to be way out in no man's land on that goal tonight Commie. As Nashville was clearing the zone that led to the 3 on 1 and the goal, you could see Commodore skating towards our end at about 80% speed at the top of the far circle! And the puck wasn't even close to that side when Nashville cleared it. I don't know what he was doing, but he wasn't doing what he should've been doing. Even though they scored, at least Wesley wasn't off in la-la-land :rolleyes:

Offense. Hello? Score some goals? Whitney? Cole? Feel free to contribute by way of goals any time you want fellas. I'm not putting the blame for the loss tonight only on them though, there were a dozen other guys who are capable of scoring.

Passive, mediocre play, "I don't really care about this game"-type work ethic from too many players. Not gonna list them out. There was just no hunger for 2 points tonight as a team. You couldn't see it from Nashville either, but they solved the hotter goalie in this game, and we couldn't solve the less hot goalie. If they'd have worked harder as a team, they'd have had higher quality chances.

The whole difference tonight (besides Cam's play) was our inability to create traffic in front. I hear everybody on Commodore's absence on their goal, but bottom line, we should have had at least a two-goal lead by that point. Staal has taken the last week off, and as a whole the team is skating like everybody's wearing ankle weights.

I like what was said during the Stillman interview (VS. coverage) about Lavi's approach to these last 30 games. If we think in terms of seven-game series and win those series we're probably in and ready for playoff pressure to boot. If we can't win down the stretch we shouldn't be in anyway.

You can't just bring it in October and expect to be playing in June, boys.

A shame to waste one of Ward's good nights by refusing to score goals. I only saw the 2nd and some of the 3rd, but it seemed like all we did was dump the puck in over and over and over and over. Hard to believe we had as many shots as we did. All in a night's work I guess.

I don't know what Staal you all were watching tonight. I was five rows back from the ice and saw someone completely different than you're describing. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but he deserves SOME credit. The only thing I didn't like about him tonight was the fact that he couldn't seem to win a draw to save his life. (At leas he couldn't win the ones down on my end of the ice.)

Preds were all over Staal tonight, poke check after poke check when he tried to stickhandle.

Cam ward did play well, but so did Mason, and when we get the goaltending and decent defense...we can't seem to score.

All i ca say is, I really wish Matt Cullen gets better soon, we need him back badly.

Preds were all over Staal tonight, poke check after poke check when he tried to stickhandle.

Well yes, but isn't that what they're supposed to do? I was just happy to see him finally dishing out some hits.

Positives

Cam. He was AMAZING tonight. He was seeing the puck so well and was making amazing save after amazing save. It's wonderful to see him play with such confidence. Too bad his team didn't reward his play with a win, but hopefully he can keep his focus and pick up where he left off on Friday in Washington.

Letowski. I swear he suddenly looks like Brind'amour in the faceoff circle. I haven't seen his numbers, but he has looked really good in the circle.

Aucoin. He had some good chances tonight and was working hard on the boards. If he keeps his play up from tonight, the points will come.

Negatives

Commodore. :angry: Way to be way out in no man's land on that goal tonight Commie. As Nashville was clearing the zone that led to the 3 on 1 and the goal, you could see Commodore skating towards our end at about 80% speed at the top of the far circle! And the puck wasn't even close to that side when Nashville cleared it. I don't know what he was doing, but he wasn't doing what he should've been doing. Even though they scored, at least Wesley wasn't off in la-la-land :rolleyes:

Offense. Hello? Score some goals? Whitney? Cole? Feel free to contribute by way of goals any time you want fellas. I'm not putting the blame for the loss tonight only on them though, there were a dozen other guys who are capable of scoring.

Passive, mediocre play, "I don't really care about this game"-type work ethic from too many players. Not gonna list them out. There was just no hunger for 2 points tonight as a team. You couldn't see it from Nashville either, but they solved the hotter goalie in this game, and we couldn't solve the less hot goalie. If they'd have worked harder as a team, they'd have had higher quality chances.

I don't really think you can blame Commodore totally for that goal...

IMO Wesley could have taken the opposite side of the ice away a little more as well....then Cam would have only had to play the glove side.

I got really tired of hearing the announcer on VS (not Forslund) complain about a lack of effort and then finally change his tune right before Nashville scored. I know they are in the West, but why don't we play them more often just due to proximity to each other?

Last night's game was a battle between two goaltenders.

I missed the beginning of the game, so I did not see how LaRose broke his leg.

Both teams got one shot on net before the flow would end up at the other end of the ice.

Before the breakout 3-on-1 goal, I was expecting this game to go to OT.

The 3-on-1 was a calculated risk on Nashville's part. IF they hadn't cleared the zone with the

long pass, the Canes would have had an advantage in their offensive zone.

Ward was phenominal last night. He was seeing the puck really well and his lateral movement was great.

Shame he ended up with the loss.

Offensively, we are struggling. PP is horrendous last night, but you have to give credit to the Preds, as they have

one of the top PK units in the league. At least the PK looked good.

Staal was a disappointment, tonight was the night for him to step up big and show why he was the All Star MVP. Even more since he hasn't done anything since then.

I second that ,, Staal is no where near physical enough for his size there are guys half his size that take him off the puck with ease.

i'm not even gonna read the write ups for this game, I dont need to hear Stillman and Brindamour saying how they played well and skated hard, what a bunch of BS. 3 strides and glide is this teams new motto.

Why is Brindy getting a free pass? He was quite possibly the worst forward on the ice last night. I saw several turnovers, and one that he just about put on a tee in the slot for a shot on Cam......

Hedican was awful as well, but that's nothing new.

Ward was great and fun to watch. Too bad it was all a waste.

I don't really think you can blame Commodore totally for that goal...

IMO Wesley could have taken the opposite side of the ice away a little more as well....then Cam would have only had to play the glove side.

You're kidding, right? That was 100% Commodore's fault for his, once-again, stupid pinching. He floated in at half-speed and was only a couple of strides above the crease when the outlet pass was made. Wesley had no chance on the resulting 3-on-1 and again Commodore showed total unawareness of game conditions and decision-making.

I was glad Ward essentially called out the D b/c although it was good for much of the game, that one breakdown was the game. He was right in saying you can't allow a 3-on-1 at that point in the game. I won't Commodore one bit if he walks in the off-season which I expect him to do.

Why is Brindy getting a free pass? He was quite possibly the worst forward on the ice last night. I saw several turnovers, and one that he just about put on a tee in the slot for a shot on Cam......

Hedican was awful as well, but that's nothing new.

Ward was great and fun to watch. Too bad it was all a waste.

Brindy was flat-out wretched with his tape-to-tape passes to Nashville. Stillman made a brain-dead clearing attempt in the Pens game and Brindy committed the same cardinal sin last night. The vets needs to steady the team not play like rookies and then show no urgency about the team's predicament.

You're kidding, right? That was 100% Commodore's fault for his, once-again, stupid pinching. He floated in at half-speed and was only a couple of strides above the crease when the outlet pass was made. Wesley had no chance on the resulting 3-on-1 and again Commodore showed total unawareness of game conditions and decision-making.

I was glad Ward essentially called out the D b/c although it was good for much of the game, that one breakdown was the game. He was right in saying you can't allow a 3-on-1 at that point in the game. I won't Commodore one bit if he walks in the off-season which I expect him to do.

I wouldnt let commodore walk, Id trade him yesterday and get something for him like every other team does, enough with this false hope.

I wouldnt let commodore walk, Id trade him yesterday and get something for him like every other team does, enough with this false hope.

Agreed and I posted a while ago that I would trade him this year. I just don't see it happening though.

I second that ,, Staal is no where near physical enough for his size there are guys half his size that take him off the puck with ease.

Don't see how you're calling out Staal for not being physical when that is one of the biggest things he has improved on this year. If you're gonna point at any of the centers point at Brind'Amour for being almost nonexistant...oh...except when he centered it in front of his own net.

And also, if I was Cam, I would call out the defense too, even though in every game he gets outperformed by the opposing goaltender. One crucial save in the third period and he doesn't make it, Mason on the other hand, does. Seems to be the story of the year for us, Cam getting outperformed.

It seems to me that when we have the puck, we are mostly concerned about hastily getting rid of it in an up direction. If insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, then as a hockey team, we are truly insane. It seems as if we don't have the confidence to move the puck by passing to one of our own people. Tell me some of you who know, is hockey a "vertical" game? Or is passing laterally and backward totally out of line?

Guess you are watching a different Staal. He's been our more physical forward the last month. Last night, He, Ladd, Walker, and Gleason all led the team in hits.

Its also pretty sad when your defenseman: Gleason, Walker, and Kaberle led the team in SOG with 4. Shouldn't the offense be putting up more shots?

And also, if I was Cam, I would call out the defense too, even though in every game he gets outperformed by the opposing goaltender. One crucial save in the third period and he doesn't make it, Mason on the other hand, does. Seems to be the story of the year for us, Cam getting outperformed.

The defensive player has to do one of two things, take the shooter or play the pass. Glen let the odd man rush skate right to him and he neither played the shot or the pass. Cam played the shot and the pass got through. Cam was not outperformed. He faced much more difficult shots and chances. Regardless of the play you can't win if you don't score.

Last night, He, Ladd, Walker, and Gleason all led the team in hits.

Its also pretty sad when your defenseman: Gleason, Walker, and Kaberle led the team in SOG with 4.

Yes, Staal was plenty physical. Some people seem to think that effectiveness only equals hits which is false. It's easy to notice the hits but the more important factor is playing a sound positional.

The Preds collapsed down low and swarmed the crease which left only perimeter shots. With an offensively challenged blueline, that is exactly how you play it. They know, as do most teams, that the Canes don't have puck-movers so it limits the transition game. As a result, they have to cycle low and set-up shots up high as the Preds took away anything from the slot on down.

Bottom line for last night is, we have 4 scoring lines that went 0 for!! had each line scored once then it is a 4-1 win. Cam played one of his best games ever but the D let him down on the one goal scored. if it wasn't for that we would have picked up at least one point.