The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
just-joe

Post-Game Analysis, Feb. 5th Cam Ward vs. Nashville Predators

Well yes, but isn't that what they're supposed to do? I was just happy to see him finally dishing out some hits.

Yes.....I was complimenting them.

Don't see how you're calling out Staal for not being physical when that is one of the biggest things he has improved on this year. If you're gonna point at any of the centers point at Brind'Amour for being almost nonexistant...oh...except when he centered it in front of his own net.

And also, if I was Cam, I would call out the defense too, even though in every game he gets outperformed by the opposing goaltender. One crucial save in the third period and he doesn't make it, Mason on the other hand, does. Seems to be the story of the year for us, Cam getting outperformed.

Sorry, but Ward did not get out-perfrormed yesterday. He was easily the best player on the ice for either team.

He made 33 saves, Mason made 31. And of those, Ward had by *far* the tougher chances. By far.

The defensive player has to do one of two things, take the shooter or play the pass. Glen let the odd man rush skate right to him and he neither played the shot or the pass. Cam played the shot and the pass got through. Cam was not outperformed. He faced much more difficult shots and chances. Regardless of the play you can't win if you don't score.

You're talking about a 2-1 defense. It's different for a 3-1. I think the defensive on that play was good, played by the book. Glen stayed in front of the puck carrier in the center of the lane, allowing him the ability to go to the puck when passed. Commodore was coming up the right side, so Nashville made the correct play in passing to their right wing, wide. Cam moved over to to that side, but did not over commit to the post. This gives him the ability to make a play on a cross ice pass to the left wing, which is what Nashville did. Glen went down to try and block the pass, but missed it. Unfortunately, Commodore stopped skating at t he top of the circle instead of continuing to skate to the offensive player deepest in the zone. If he had, he could have caught up to the player of the far side of the net and possibly make a stick check. Check it out @ NHL.com video highlights.

Granted, we should have scored some goals, but Mason was on his game, as was Cam. All in all I don't see how people are so upset with the game. Guess it's that "we lost so we stink!" again. It came down to a one shot game and unfortunately we gave up a 3-1. It's done, put it behind us and move on.

I was just saying Wesley could have been a little more agressive. 3 on 1 is usually not going to end well for the 1. And I agree with Commie not getting back. My point was you can't blame the goalie on 3 on 1. I don't know too many goalies going to consistently stop a well played 3 on 1.

A poor peformance by all. Is the only way I can sum up last nights loss. Our guys just seemed to skate in slow motion. Poor puck handling and lack of work ethic also contributed into what should have been an win for us. And for crying out loud someone tell Lavi the ole dump and chase just ain't working anymore. Our non existant PP goals is a joking matter and our PK ain't much better either. Someone needs to wake up the Canes before its too late.

The ship is almost sunk. The Williams and Cullen injuries have basically crippled this team right now. They are a shell of what the team was offensivley at the beginning of the year. We used to have 4 scoring lines, now they Canes don't even have 1 line that can score. The defense needs to be totally re-tooled. The only problem now is that JR is running out of assets to trade. There is no offensive depth to trade away.

The only positive from last nights game is that Cam looked real good. It may have been his best game of the year.

Ward played awesome, Cole can't stickhandle or deke and only has one move that constantly gets shut down, Commodore blew it, and Wesley didn't block the pass properly/effectively enough as he should have. But could I do any better? No! (Then again, I'm not the million dollar professional that does it for a living ;)

My wife got mad at me for not watching the last 1.7 seconds and turning the TV off, anyone else turn it off at the end?

The whole story with this team, besides October, is that the team and the goalies aren't in sync.

Our goalies play a hell of a game and the team can't score.

When the team does score, 4 or 5 goals, the goalies let in 6-7 goals.

The whole story with this team, besides October, is that the team and the goalies aren't in sync.

Bingo!

This has been an interesting read. This is the first game where we seem to be split 50/50 on whether or not it was a well played game. We all agree that the outcome was disappointing, but have very different takes about how we got to that point.

IMO, one bad defensive play cost us the game. The Preds did their homework and took away good scoring chances from our top lines, and the goaltenders owned the game. I wonder if we were the ones to score that 1 goal, would the game look just as awful as some seem to think?

This has been an interesting read. This is the first game where we seem to be split 50/50 on whether or not it was a well played game. We all agree that the outcome was disappointing, but have very different takes about how we got to that point.

IMO, one bad defensive play cost us the game. The Preds did their homework and took away good scoring chances from our top lines, and the goaltenders owned the game. I wonder if we were the ones to score that 1 goal, would the game look just as awful as some seem to think?

I disagree to some extent. The issue seems to be when this team plays decent defense, they can't score.

And when they score, they can't play any defense at all. As they have been saying for months... inconsitent play.

I was just saying Wesley could have been a little more agressive. 3 on 1 is usually not going to end well for the 1. And I agree with Commie not getting back. My point was you can't blame the goalie on 3 on 1. I don't know too many goalies going to consistently stop a well played 3 on 1.

I respect your opinion and agree 100% that a well played 3-1 is going to be a goal. But if Glen commits too early and makes a move higher in the zone, the offense has many more options. The D has to try and make the puck carrier go as deep, and wide into the zone as possible to limit his options. Once the puck gets down to the hash marks, it's shoot or pass. Anyhow, imo, I think it was played about as well as possible. If Glen just got flat on the ice and the pass was blocked, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Or if Commodore kept skating, or if pigs could fly... It is what it is, unfortunately. But regardless of other's opinions, I still think it was a good game and doesn't deserve the bashing.

Me too! :blink:

No it wouldn't! I thought they played hard last night and they just got beat. They lost a very high energy man right from the start and they kept digging. I dont want to spoil anyones bashing but I felt it was a good game. ;)

To answer that question...the answer would be a big fat NO. It goes back to what was said earlier. when we score 4 goals...we get scored on with 5. usually when you only let 1 goal in...you win the game. that didnt happen. this has happened twice this year first with st. louis, and now with nashville. they caught us flat footed just 1 time....and thats all it took.

I think Lavi said it best in the paper when he said we have only played on bad period in the last four games and that was the third period against the Pens.

You don't win games if you don't score goals, had our guys done that then the naysayers would be quiet.

Nashville played an EXCELLENT defensive game. They collapsed to the net all night and forced us to play from out top. The Preds were cleaning up all the garbage in front and not giving up many rebounds. They always had two men back and didn't allow us to run. If you can limit transition and make us shoot from the blue line, you've got a good shot to beat us. That's what happened last night.

That being said, I thought the effort was there last night. We just couldn't solve Mason and the Preds' D. Credit Nashville for that. I thought we played a good defensive game, outside of the fatal 3 on 1 - and even that took a bit of a goofy hop to get out of the zone. Our offense looked out of sync because the defense put it out of sync. I would say that's a coaching matter more than anything on the ice. Ward was outstanding - totally didn't deserve a loss after that one. Last night, you could argue, was his best performance of the year.

OK, I think I was wrong and maybe we're split 60/40, lol. A good night's sleep puts thing more into perspective.

OK, I think I was wrong and maybe we're split 60/40, lol. A good night's sleep puts thing more into perspective.

One thing i still don't understand,,,WHY doesn't someone go to the front of the freakin net!!!We have guys that love to center the puck and there is never anyone there,no traffic,no screens.Although i think we played a decent game,it just seems like the basics that we don't do game in and game out.Did we have some good checking last nite,,,,a few not anything consistant.WE make it so easy for the opposing goaltenders.I'm not really upset with last nites game,but then again i'm not real happy either.I guess i'm justy getting use to the Canes way of playing.."Stanley Cup" team some nites (and sorry ladies )

and an" A" cup the other nites(you know, there still there just not alot to talk about,,,lol)

One thing i still don't understand,,,WHY doesn't someone go to the front of the freakin net!!!We have guys that love to center the puck and there is never anyone there,no traffic,no screens.Although i think we played a decent game,it just seems like the basics that we don't do game in and game out.Did we have some good checking last nite,,,,a few not anything consistant.WE make it so easy for the opposing goaltenders.I'm not really upset with last nites game,but then again i'm not real happy either.I guess i'm justy getting use to the Canes way of playing.."Stanley Cup" team some nites (and sorry ladies )

and an" A" cup the other nites(you know, there still there just not alot to talk about,,,lol)

That pretty much sums it up for me too... And Stanley vs A cup :lol: Ms Bag will love this one....

To add one more comment and I said in a post last week... a 1-0 game is an inability to score something a 4-1 loss is an inability to score AND defensive lapses (or penalties). At least we cleared the puck last night but for the love of all that is frozen GO TO THE FRIGGIN NET!!!!

funny you mention that, as I was watching I thought if the Canes were to win, it would be the worst played ugliest game I've watched in awhile, it almost seems like theyre getting the opposition to play down to their suprisingly slow paced defensive style, mainly after the first period. Nashville isnt a scoring machine, if the canes were to play a team thats playing at their peak and converting I think it would be ugly.

No it wouldn't! I thought they played hard last night and they just got beat. They lost a very high energy man right from the start and they kept digging. I dont want to spoil anyones bashing but I felt it was a good game. ;)

I agree, the lost doesn't hurt so bad just the fact that we walked away empty handed sucks.

..And seeing ATL lose last night makes me feel a little better.