The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
just-joe

Post-Game Analysis, Feb. 5th Cam Ward vs. Nashville Predators

The whole story with this team, besides October, is that the team and the goalies aren't in sync.

Our goalies play a hell of a game and the team can't score.

When the team does score, 4 or 5 goals, the goalies let in 6-7 goals.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I always say this. Just like last night, obviously Mason was on, but Cam was playing very well also, neither team was getting anything in the back of the net until that odd-man rush in the third. But, even when our team is out there scoring goals, it always seems like the other team is just going to get more, a-la the Avs game. I'm just tired of seeing out goaltender consistently outplayed by the other goaltender, even if it is letting in only one goal during a good game.

I always say this. Just like last night, obviously Mason was on, but Cam was playing very well also, neither team was getting anything in the back of the net until that odd-man rush in the third. But, even when our team is out there scoring goals, it always seems like the other team is just going to get more, a-la the Avs game. I'm just tired of seeing out goaltender consistently outplayed by the other goaltender, even if it is letting in only one goal during a good game.

So you're still blaming this on our goaltender saying he got outplayed? Anyone know what the odds oare of a goaltender stoning a 3 on 1 odd man rush with no help for him to be found? You're certainly entitled to your opinion but Im curious as to how you think Cam was outplayed.

So you're still blaming this on our goaltender saying he got outplayed? Anyone know what the odds oare of a goaltender stoning a 3 on 1 odd man rush with no help for him to be found? You're certainly entitled to your opinion but Im curious as to how you think Cam was outplayed.

You don't think he was outplayed? Mason stopped every shot and Ward didn't. Please don't hesitate to look at past games throughout the season in which Cam has been outperformed by every possible goaltender in the league including Wade Dubil-who?. Mason let in 0, Cam let in 1, sure Commodore should have been back but how many odd-man rushes or breakaways has Cam stopped this year?

The chance of a goaltender stopping that was small, but for Cam I'd say there was no chance at all.

You don't think he was outplayed? Mason stopped every shot and Ward didn't. Please don't hesitate to look at past games throughout the season in which Cam has been outperformed by every possible goaltender in the league including Wade Dubil-who?. Mason let in 0, Cam let in 1, sure Commodore should have been back but how many odd-man rushes or breakaways has Cam stopped this year?

The chance of a goaltender stopping that was small, but for Cam I'd say there was no chance at all.

No, I really dont think he was outplayed last night at all. There have been plenty of games where he was but those dont effect my opinion of this one. It all comes down to the Preds executing their gameplan perfectly and keeping our offense from getting too many quality chances. Kinda like how the Giants outplayed the Pats. You take away the weapons, and you've at least doubled your chances of winning. The defense, although certainly not perfect, did a respectable job (of course not in that one 3-1 rush) all game.

No, I really dont think he was outplayed last night at all. There have been plenty of games where he was but those dont effect my opinion of this one. It all comes down to the Preds executing their gameplan perfectly and keeping our offense from getting too many quality chances. Kinda like how the Giants outplayed the Pats. You take away the weapons, and you've at least doubled your chances of winning. The defense, although certainly not perfect, did a respectable job (of course not in that one 3-1 rush) all game.

And I will 99.9% guarantee that if we were able to get a 3-on-1 that Mason wouldn't have stopped it either.

Look at what Cam did in those last 3-5 minutes to keep the game in reach and give his team a chance to tie it. Cam even stopped a breakaway, something he has struggled with in the past. Cam kept his team in that game and if it wasn't for Cam, the score wouldn't even have been close.

For once the goalie did his job, its a shame that his stellar play was wasted b/c the offense couldn't convert. And its not the first time the goalie plays a great game, but still gets the lose, ie St Louis.

Seriously, if you think Ward was outplayed last night, you need to start watching hockey games...

Yes, Ward has been outplayed in a number of games this year, I agree. But for sure, not last night.

I'll say it again: Ward had 33 saves last night. Mason had 31. Ward had *by far* the more difficult chances....by a mile.

The Canes didn't generate even 1/2 the number of good opportunities the Preds did.

And I'll throw this in as well since you brought up the Islander game and the 3 shorthanded goals...

I would bet if they kept stats, the Canes would lead the league in odd-man rushes against.

What other games have you seen this year where a team allowed 4 breakaways against and a 2-on-1 against while on a PP? You haven't.

Seriously, if you think Ward was outplayed last night, you need to start watching hockey games...

Yes, Ward has been outplayed in a number of games this year, I agree. But for sure, not last night.

I'll say it again: Ward had 33 saves last night. Mason had 31. Ward had *by far* the more difficult chances....by a mile.

The Canes didn't generate even 1/2 the number of good opportunities the Preds did.

And I'll throw this in as well since you brought up the Islander game and the 3 shorthanded goals...

I would bet if they kept stats, the Canes would lead the league in odd-man rushes against.

What other games have you seen this year where a team allowed 4 breakaways against and a 2-on-1 against while on a PP? You haven't.

Agreed, sometimes I wonder what game people are watching and how st(w)rongly opinionated they can be when its obvious to anyone who knows the game that theyre off their rocker. I think the players are drinking the same kool-aid that some of the posters in here are when after a bad performance they say that the effort was there and they thought they played well.

Eh, breakaways frustrate Cam, he had to make that ONE and the game is different, but he doesn't. Maybe he should start stacking the pads like Conklin? :)

Ron Hextall couldn't have stoped that ONE last night!

One thing i still don't understand,,,WHY doesn't someone go to the front of the freakin net!!!We have guys that love to center the puck and there is never anyone there,no traffic,no screens.Although i think we played a decent game,it just seems like the basics that we don't do game in and game out.Did we have some good checking last nite,,,,a few not anything consistant.WE make it so easy for the opposing goaltenders.I'm not really upset with last nites game,but then again i'm not real happy either.I guess i'm justy getting use to the Canes way of playing.."Stanley Cup" team some nites (and sorry ladies )

and an" A" cup the other nites(you know, there still there just not alot to talk about,,,lol)

Watching the past couple games I've realized we are just not a playoff team. The dream is over it's time for us to start thinking about the future. If we get in the playoffs thats great but we need to make trades that help our future not to try to win the Stanley Cup. I'm not saying there is no way we can make a run in the playoffs but if I'm the GM we are thinking about tomorrow not today.

On Cam Ward, I have been a detractor this year, and feel that he should have stopped one of the multiple breakaways vs. the Islanders, but last night Ward played extremely well. He stoned a couple of bang-bang plays and ultimately only allowed one goal on a 3 on 1. Ward has been a big part of our problems this year, but to put last night's loss on Ward is stunningly bad analysis. If that's your take, probably best to just read and not do a lot of posting. Ward was stellar. If we get last night's play out of Ward from here out, we make the playoffs.

I have noticed though, that low scoring, low skill teams have been very succesful packing it in and shutting us down, and when we get into these grinding lock-down games where one mistake decides it, we seem to be the ones that make that mistake. I guess the good news is if by some chance we make the playoffs we may not see these teams.

More and more this is looking like last year all over again. Just when it was looking better....

Well, someone is going to win the SE.

Watching the past couple games I've realized we are just not a playoff team. The dream is over it's time for us to start thinking about the future. If we get in the playoffs thats great but we need to make trades that help our future not to try to win the Stanley Cup. I'm not saying there is no way we can make a run in the playoffs but if I'm the GM we are thinking about tomorrow not today.

The problem with that thinking is too many years of not being in the playoffs and this team is history and there is no future... We are not The Maple Leafs who will sell out every game with a roster of 18 year old draftees and 50 year old hasbeens...

The CH ( as do many other NHL teams) will have to rely somewhat on the additional revenue that the playoffs generate in order to augment their revenue and allow them to spend near the Cap on team salaries.

Wow, a bit harsh don't you think? that was a 3-1 not a simple break away! Look at the play on NHL.co and tell me honestly how Cam is supposed to stop that shot? Mason couldn't have played it any better than cam did. The play was perfectly executed and other than being lucky, no goalie is going to stop that. Ward was playing the situation exactly the way it should have been played concerning positioning. He got over to the right side, but just missed making contact with it. I agree with TopShelf, if we had scored that goal, this string would be having a different tone.

Regardless of the score last night, Cam Ward was the best player on the ice for the entire 60 minutes. Mason had to make a few really good saves, but Ward was putting on a SHOW. In a game that tight, you can't give up 3on1s, so if Wardo called out his D, then good for him. He has been hot lately, and the team needs to get their collective butt in gear!

He has been a problem through the year, but Cam played one of his best games this season- at times spectacular. Too bad we couldn't get anything past Mason. Although we got "shots" I thought our quality chances were not as many as the preds had on Wardo.

My 2 cents. Cam played great, we played OK, but not playoff caliber. Turnovers suck. For a team that leads the NHL in 3rd period goals, we've been outscored 4-0 the last 2 games.

That being said, if Cam can bring that A game consistently the rest of the season and the offense can generate the goals again, we have a good shot at a playoff spot. Let's face it, our defense will be mediocre on a good night. Oh yeah, stop turning the puck over in our slot!!

If not start building for next season. :huh:

For a team that leads the NHL in 3rd period goals, we've been outscored 4-0 the last 2 games.

Just for the record, they've been outscored 5-0 in 3rd periods the last 2 games. 4 in PIT, 1 in NAS.

okay okay okay, just watched the game again after recording it and as hard as I looked I can't fault Cam anymore. Blame me for disliking his play in earlier parts of the year, but Wesley should have scored early, that would have been big.

okay okay okay, just watched the game again after recording it and as hard as I looked I can't fault Cam anymore. Blame me for disliking his play in earlier parts of the year, but Wesley should have scored early, that would have been big.

Good for you. Others could follow your lead and admit that maybe its possible that someone else saw something different than them, and just maybe they were mistaken. The whole purpose of this thread is to share different observations and opinions, and discuss the game. Ive changed my opinion of games several times after reading some posts and taking another look too.

BTW, Wesley actually had 2 good scoring chances ;)