The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Latest from Toronto: "Karmanos won't stop Rutherford"

Yes, and I believe the Toronto Sun thinks we should have Vermette and Corvo for Cole now...and one other trade I don't remember. It's hard to believe a source when they make outlandish rumours and then try and be credible wiht stuff like this.

The http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/02/01/4805512-sun.html' target="_blank">Toronto Sun[/post] is reporting that Hurricane's owner Peter Karmonos will not stand in the way of Jim Rutherford going to Toronto as GM/President even indicating that "he would be willing to act as go-between with Rutherford and the Leafs' search committee." Of course, we've heard wild wind out of the Toronto press and Leaf organization before, but the actual quotes from Karmonos makes one wonder as to how real JR actually leaving may be... :huh:

you need to consider the source!!

I think the writing is on the wall on this one. Although well over a year away, I see this, if offered, a deal JR can not turn down. I just hope Francis is studying hard and learning fast.

I like JR and I do think he is one of the best GMs in the NHL. Some don't like him but look at the teams who have not been to the NHL finals and those who have in the last 6 years. that says enough.

Source or no source, they spoke to Karmonos and I can see PK saying this. Their is a big difference between a rumor on a trade and citing a source directly.

If they're willing to give up a couple of draft picks (maybe this year's, should be a pretty good one) then that'd be nice. It could be JR's one last gift to us.

Know what would have me ROFLMAO, JR goes but Toronto has to give us their first round pick in the 2008 draft. Toronto ends up with the First pick and we pick Stamkos, or whatever that kids name that all the leaf fans are wanting Toronto to tank so they get. :lol:

No offense to REF or our other Leaf fans but no top level GM will go there.

Profit for the teachers union means more then wins and loses and frankly anyone that has ever tried to get a Leaf's ticket knows they have no problem selling tickets regardless of wins or losses.

JR is far to talented to go to a team where he would have so little say so in team matters. PK gives him near free reign here. No way anyone will get that in Toronto unless/until the ownership position changes.

If there are 2 people that won't end up in Toronto its JR or Lou Amarillo.

Onetimer you and the Spector's guy think alike, but in away I gotta agree with both of you.

This was spector's comment about JR to Toronto:

As for Rutherford, I think Karmanos' words suggest he doesn't believe Rutherford would get the chance to do his job with the Leafs and thus probably won't be interested in that job.

If he were to leave, I wouldn't feel that bad. I always felt he was a little overrated. The Stanley Cup season was fantastic, but the lack of depth in our system cannot be ignored and the future of this franchise is in serious doubt once guys like Brind'Amour and Whitney start to call it a career. I would be excited to see what Ron Francis would add to the franchise in the general manager capacity, so I'd actually like to see the switch happen.

This isn't all that surprising. JR and PK are pretty tight, so if JR tells PK "it's my lifelong dream to be GM of the Leafs, please let me go," PK won't say no to his friend. At the same time, JR won't just bolt for Toronto and leave his buddy's team in the lurch.

If he were to leave, I wouldn't feel that bad. I always felt he was a little overrated. The Stanley Cup season was fantastic, but the lack of depth in our system cannot be ignored and the future of this franchise is in serious doubt once guys like Brind'Amour and Whitney start to call it a career. I would be excited to see what Ron Francis would add to the franchise in the general manager capacity, so I'd actually like to see the switch happen.

Over Rated???? He has made a couple of badd acquisitions but 90% of the time when we as fans looks at a trade or signing and go WTH???? then three months later we are talking about what good move it was.

Not really a Stats guy but lets look briefly at a body of work for JR...

1)Brand new team in a virgin hockey market, put marketing in place to generate interest and convince some Free agents that they can help build a legacy here ( Ron Francis for one)

2) Get an Arena built while "sharing "control over key decisions with a bunch of political amatuers... (Centenial authority)

3) Play your first two years 75 miles from where your "team will be".

4) Two Stanley Cup apperances

5) Three time division Champs

6) One Stanley Cup Championship

Go ask ANY Ownership group if they would hire a GM that could post these kind of results and they would do it all day long and twice on SUnday.

Over rated???? I don't think so....

I have to say that JR has done a lot of the Cane's and if he ever did leave, he would be surely missed. With that being said, if he ever did leave, I would really like to see Francis take the position and run with it. My only fear is that Francis may not understand today's hockey.

He was always a quite player that would sneek in between the defense and get the one-timers. Do you really think he could develop an entire team? I am still making a decision on this one.

Just my .02

If he were to leave, I wouldn't feel that bad. I always felt he was a little overrated.

You've got to be kidding?

We had no business whatsoever being in the SC finals in 2002, yet there we were. The second time we returned a mere 4 years later after hiring a new coach and totally changing our system we were real contenders. Keep in mind we have shifted our philosphy from clutching and grabbing (Coach Mo days) to skating and tilting the ice (Coach Lav). During a mere 4 years of different philosphies we sent 2 teams to the Stanley Cup Finals and won once. JR is also the only person since the lockout to use the "rent a player" to the teams obvious advantage (Weight/Recchi).

Other than being named NHL executive of the year at least 2 times in those same 10 years, I don't know anyone that supports your opnion.

PK and JR had been accused of being "tight" but they seem to have shaken off even that one complaint.

You don't win a Stanley Cup with prospects. If that were the case Toronto would have won multiple cups over the last 30 years and the Wings wouldnt have won hardly any.

What exactly did we do before, between, and after those two appearances in the Stanley Cup finals? It's not just that he hasn't prepared for the future of this franchise, it's that after the postseason success he didn't take steps to improve the team. All those two Stanley Cup appearances prove is how inconsistent this franchise is, from the front office to the players on the ice.

Let me see, in 10 years we have 3 division titles, 2 conference titles and one Stanley Cup. I can tink of a number of teams that have not had nearly that success. Granted, the let downs have been frustrating, but the franshise seems to bounce back.

What exactly did we do before, between, and after those two appearances in the Stanley Cup finals? It's not just that he hasn't prepared for the future of this franchise, it's that after the postseason success he didn't take steps to improve the team. All those two Stanley Cup appearances prove is how inconsistent this franchise is, from the front office to the players on the ice.

Are you just being blatantly ignorant or do you genuinely not understand the difficulty involved with building a team of winners under a self imposed salary cap? We have veteran group of players mixed with some young stars all of which are signed to multi-year deals. The organization is in need of some young prospects to backfill some positions but what team isn't. Ask any team in the league or fans of that team if they would like to consistently get to the playoffs and get bounced in the first or second rounds or if you would like to be in two cup finals in five years and have one championship but not make the playoffs two of those five years. Does the name Toronto Maple Leafs ring a bell? I question moves that JR make but 9 times out of ten he proves why he is a two time GM of the year and JustJoe and Bag are posting about who they like and don't like instead of calling Agents and other GMs at the trade deadline.

JR stays here as long as he wants to and transitions Ronnie into the front office.

I understand the difficulty, I also understand the word "consistency." Two finals' appearances sandwiched between three offseasons where this franchise earned top-six draft picks isn't consistency. I would never completely discount what Rutherford has done for this franchise, but I wouldn't be sad to see him step aside this year and let Francis take over.

I understand the difficulty, I also understand the word "consistency." Two finals' appearances sandwiched between three offseasons where this franchise earned top-six draft picks isn't consistency. I would never completely discount what Rutherford has done for this franchise, but I wouldn't be sad to see him step aside this year and let Francis take over.

We could use another top six draft pick.....just sayin' :ph34r:

We could use another top six draft pick.....just sayin' :ph34r:

I'm with Justjoe on this one. I don't think Rutherford sucks or anything, but I do think he's somewhat overrated. If he were as great some make him out to be, this team would've made the playoffs more than 4 times in 12 seasons on his watch, small budget or not. Yes, under him we won a Cup once, and we also finished last in the league once. Our drafts have generally been unspectacular under him, granted the draft is as much the responsibility of the scouting department as it is the gm (but who hires the scouting people), and we now have one of the thinnest farm systems in the league.

Again, I don't think he's bad. He's good. But not great. He made some very good moves in 02 and 06, and he deserves credit for them, but he also deserves his share of blame for the team's inconsistency otherwise.