The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Latest from Toronto: "Karmanos won't stop Rutherford"

I don't mind Francis taking over, when he's ready, but I honestly don't see Francis ready to be full time GM come the summer. Being a GM takes alot of work and experience. I love Francis and will love to see him GM of this team, but I'd rather him be the Asst. GM for a few years before taking on 100% responsibility. Atleast give the guy more than 6 months before throwing him to the fire.

If he were to leave, I wouldn't feel that bad. I always felt he was a little overrated. The Stanley Cup season was fantastic, but the lack of depth in our system cannot be ignored and the future of this franchise is in serious doubt once guys like Brind'Amour and Whitney start to call it a career. I would be excited to see what Ron Francis would add to the franchise in the general manager capacity, so I'd actually like to see the switch happen.

I completely agree with that. I would love to see Ronnie GM, and excited to see what he does with this team. He have a good share of great vets, but once they start retiring, we will be in trouble. Plus IMO, JR is greedy and would rather save some pocket change and "Wait to see how things turn out" or "Wait to fix this over the off-season" than spend some to try to save a season or help the team.

I completely agree with that. I would love to see Ronnie GM, and excited to see what he does with this team. He have a good share of great vets, but once they start retiring, we will be in trouble. Plus IMO, JR is greedy and would rather save some pocket change and "Wait to see how things turn out" or "Wait to fix this over the off-season" than spend some to try to save a season or help the team.

I find the above comments laughable and sorry to be so forward. You are entittled to your opinion. I think the same people are saying "Rid JR from the org and we want Ronnie" are the same people who thought Leighton coming in would fix the canes problems. For the "greedy" comment, I am thankful they have a budget and hope they stick to it because they could have jumped "this ship called Raleigh" years ago and I am surprised they have not.

The NHL teams are not a table setting where you move items around with no limits. If so, the Coyotes and the Kings would win the cup every year.

I understand the difficulty, I also understand the word "consistency." Two finals' appearances sandwiched between three offseasons where this franchise earned top-six draft picks isn't consistency. I would never completely discount what Rutherford has done for this franchise, but I wouldn't be sad to see him step aside this year and let Francis take over.

I Absolutely agree with you on the consistency but it begs the question of what comes first the chicken or the egg. Consistency is the calling card of the coach and the system ( and of course the talent) not the GM. Yes I know the GM hires the coach and you cant fire 21 players for THEIR lack of consistency. A bit off topic but if you are JR what would you do with this team this year???? BTW there are huge financial reprecussions (millions of $s from your budget) when you fire a coach and his staff...

Now back to the topic at hand I would be crushed to see JR leave this organization at this juncture because I just dont think Ronnie has enough experience under his belt. If you listen to his comments about some of his recent difficulties with being the asst GM he doesnt think so either. He has never even participated in a Draft as a guy that has to pull the trigger. My grandmother often said "sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.."

To those of you who are hoping for Ronnie to step in Do you have any idea how difficult the situation will be for RF and the organization if he gets tossed into the fire too soon? I'm not saying I dont want him in the head office one day just not this year...

Um you do realize that JR isn't spending his money, but he is spending Peter Karmonas' money. Your pretty off base when you say JR is greedy, his boss gives him a budget and he has to stick to that budget no matter what.

Um you do realize that JR isn't spending his money, but he is spending Peter Karmonas' money. Your pretty off base when you say JR is greedy, his boss gives him a budget and he has to stick to that budget no matter what.
Actually PK has given the green light to JR several times to acquire players that will make a difference above their budget... Weight and Recchi both took us way over the self imposed cap but it got PK's name on the Cup... That had to be worth a few million for PK :)

Actually PK has given the green light to JR several times to acquire players that will make a difference above their budget... Weight and Recchi both took us way over the self imposed cap but it got PK's name on the Cup... That had to be worth a few million for PK :)

JR had to get permission from PK to go over the budget, just like he had to discuss taking on Cullen's salary with PK first. He can't just go out and take on extra salary w/o first discussing and getting approval from PK first.

Besides look around, do you honestly think there are trades to be had. There's not. Every team besides the kings are in the race. As long as teams are still in the race, they aren't going to make big trades.

JR had to get permission from PK to go over the budget, just like he had to discuss taking on Cullen's salary with PK first. He can't just go out and take on extra salary w/o first discussing and getting approval from PK first.

Besides look around, do you honestly think there are trades to be had. There's not. Every team besides the kings are in the race. As long as teams are still in the race, they aren't going to make big trades.

So just to clear this up because I think we are saying the same thing...

"Your pretty off base when you say JR is greedy, his boss gives him a budget and he has to stick to that budget no matter what. "

Its not "no matter what"... I am saying that JR has gone above the the cap after discussion of pros and cons with PK in the interest of improving the team...

"Actually PK has given the green light to JR several times" would imply to most that he did ask PK and that going above the cap was OK in some instances, correct?

Andy Macdonald was shipped by the Ducks for Doug Weight BTW...

Yes there will be trades to be had as we get closer to the end of the month and Toronto will be blown up by Fletcher... The issue is 28 of the 21 players on their roster have NTCs so getting them waived is the issue there. Right now everyone needs "a puck moving D-man who is responsible in his own zone and doesn't take penalties and kisses his mother each time he leaves home"... There arent too many avail right now :lol:

Yes there will be trades to be had as we get closer to the end of the month and Toronto will be blown up by Fletcher... The issue is 28 of the 21 players on their roster have NTCs so getting them waived is the issue there. Right now everyone needs "a puck moving D-man who is responsible in his own zone and doesn't take penalties and kisses his mother each time he leaves home"... There arent too many avail right now :lol:

Post of the day :)

Post of the day :)

Well two schools of thought on the following... Usually when a GM vehemently denies they are doing something, then its a 100% chance it will happen. When a GM doesnt deny anything that concerns me too. The followng excerpts from a writer for the Toronto Star at Faceoff.com:

"I'm under contract here and to comment on another job at this point in time, I don't think would be appropriate," said Rutherford when the topic was broached in his office yesterday.

But unlike, say, Anaheim's Brian Burke, who shot down gossip linking him to the Leafs with thick bluster, Rutherford is far less dismissive. While he clearly understands that to admit interest in one team while managing another would be foolhardy, it seems he also doesn't want to close the door on what he readily admits will be a plum job for someone.

"It's the most prestigious franchise in hockey," said the 58-year-old. "It needs to turn that corner to get back to earning that (distinction) but it still is. I played there briefly at the end of my career. I wasn't any good but I was still honoured to put on that jersey. I grew up there. I feel honoured that someone decided to throw my name in the hat. But there's 100 names in that hat."

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/nhlnews/story.html?id=07b25278-7ca7-49e6-9078-8a2f1dffdb1d&k=83194&add_feed_url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.faceoff.com%2ftopfeatures.atom

It certainly appears more likely than some of us (me) are willing to admit since generally JR has been fairly straight forward ( he hasnt lied about stuff) when asked about front office items. At times he is not really forthcoming but he hasnt blatently lied about things ( like Brian Burke).

I really wish that JR was leaving. He's been buging me about the trades this year and why he hasn't been getting the good players out there to sign and play for us like Rob Blake.

Cause Rob Blake isnt interested in coming here.

I really wish that JR was leaving. He's been buging me about the trades this year and why he hasn't been getting the good players out there to sign and play for us like Rob Blake.

Cause Rob Blake isnt interested in coming here.

It's not totally up to JR to get us some good trades. There's the other half of the equation which is the other GMs around the league. JR has commented several times, this year and last, that the asking prices for certain players are ridiculously high. They were stupid high last year, and from what I've read of JR's comments, they're even higher this year. You also have to consider (as someone pointed out in a different thread), that the Canes are riding a very blurred line right now. Can they get into playoffs? Who knows. Will they miss playoffs? Who knows. There is absolutely no certainty, and that doesn't make JR's decision making any easier. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that we've been absolutely slammed by injuries this year. At one point we had 10 guys who were injured and/or sick. Right now, we have a key winger out (Williams), we are missing our most energetic and hardest working player (LaRose), and arguably our best playmaking center and pointman on the PP is out (Cullen). The injuries don't make trading decisions any easier either. Face it: JR doesn't have a lot of bargaining chips at the moment. It's kind of tough to bring in a puck-moving defensemen when you only have 2 good centers. Let's also not forget the countless great trades JR has pulled off. He was named NHL Executive of the Year for a darn good reason. You can't hang a guy like JR out to dry just because the team isn't winning and he isn't making trades.

If you can back up your opinion on why you think JR should be shipped out, I'd love to hear it.