The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

And what does that mean...we shouldn't try? You still should try to bring in/acquire these guys! If you don't try, then you give yourself 0% chance of getting them!

Even if you can get just 1 of these guys, it would be a huge boost for the Hurricanes!

I would offer Green 3.5 million a year (5 year contract) see if the caps match that!?! (Remember they gave a ton of money to Ovechkin and their ticket sales to games have been near rock bottom in comparison with the rest of the league, they also have a lot of other FAs they have to worry about losing this offseason)

The Caps have plenty of space to work with. The contract with Ovechkin is set up to accommodate that space.

Washington still would have plenty of room to do what they want. They currently have over $14 million in salary cap room.

The cap is for teams like Detroit and other teams making a ton of money in ticket sales and merchandise. $14 million under the cap, is just that in relation to the NHL Rules. Maybe due to poor ticket sales, they don't have enough revenue to pay the other salaries. 14 million under the cap, maybe the Caps actual cap for spending is just that, so they don't go bankrupt.

By that thought, Chicago and St. Louis, two teams who have been among the bottom of attendance in the last few years, should have some of the lowest pay-rolls in the NHL. Truth is that both have more money committed to the salary cap this season than Detroit. Washington has been smart and they have created a contender without spending much money. If they continue their run and make an appearance in the playoffs, their front office will be more than ready to do everything necessary to keep their core together.

I can agree that they will try to keep the core group together but still try to get him i would try for green more than cambell b/c green is younger and will only get better. the caps are siging guys back but they havent done green yet i am wondering why he is going to want some more money but i just dont know if they will pay it. trade someone for him with a draft pick everybody says the defense needs a spark you get him you will have it put him and gleason on first line together they got speed and can move the puck for a goal. :unsure::blink:

I wonder if we could get Irbe and Storr back?...Just joking again!

We need to see what happens after the All-Star game. I wonder if Ward and Grahame have been working out over the last few days? It would be nice to see the team come back refreshed and hot!

I am going to give them all a chance in the first game to get my confidence back up. If they don't, trade anybody and get what we need.

That's my $.02

It's stated on TFP that Vermette, from the Senators, is being used for bait. Any wingers we would like to trade reasonably for him?

Also, Hossa is being shopped. I know that we do not want him but I hope he goes out West!

And what's the deal with Boston trying to get 2 defenseman for Kessel? His salary is only $850 G's. Is there something about him I am looking over? I thought he was suppose to be a HOT new rookie?

Anyone help me understand?

From what I hear, Bruins' fans just don't seem like he fits with the style of hockey Boston wants to play. Same type of situation with Ladd here. They say he is too selfish with the puck at times and can be knocked off of the puck too easily. Too one-dimensional to ever be a top player for their franchise.

Signing Green as an RFA isn't going to happen because of the compensatory draft picks the Canes would owe the Caps. Unless the Canes were to trade for him, he won't be here. Cambell would be expensive, if he even makes it to market, but if this team wants to improve its D it will have to spend some money, so I wouldn't say he's out of the question.

I just read this on Spectors. What do you guys think of Preissing? You will need to scroll towards the bottom.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:nhl-rumor-compilation-for-january-28-2008&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=9' target="_blank">Spectors[/post]

Preissing does fit the description of an offensive puck-moving D-man but from my recollection he doesn't play much D. But given how the rest of the team play defense he would be an upgrade. With rising salaries 2.75 is a bit steep for him, but might not be compared to what he or a similar player could cost on the open market. For the right price he could be worth it.

I just read this on Spectors. What do you guys think of Preissing? You will need to scroll towards the bottom.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:nhl-rumor-compilation-for-january-28-2008&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=9' target="_blank">Spectors[/post]

Preissing fits the description of what we are looking for and this could intrigue JR:

he has another three seasons remaining on his current contract at $2.75 million per

$2.75 sounds alot for him, but what teams are throwing at players during FA, its somewhat reasonable. Would be better if we can get LA to take Kaberle. I would use the "both guys could use a change of scenery" ploy.

ESPN Insider mentioned this about Preissing today:

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has had discussions with the Kings about D Tom Preissing, according to the Ottawa Sun.

The Hurricanes are in the market for a puck-moving defenseman and Preissing has been a disappointment since being signed as a free agent last summer.

One exective told the Sun that Kings GM Dean Lombardi is seeking inflated prices for his players.

I'll pass on Preissing and see what it takes to go for Stuart.

Preissing's just a more expensive version of Kaberle with some added offensive ability.

"EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reported Oilers management will soon have to re-sign defenseman Joni Pitkanen, who's eligible for restricted free agent status this summer. Matheson speculates over what it might cost to re-sign Pitkanen, suggesting it could be upwards of $5 million per season, and wonders if GM Kevin Lowe might consider shopping Pitkanen due to the emergence of blueliner Tom Gilbert, who'd be more affordable to re-sign. Pitkanen's agent Larry Kelly said negotiations hadn't really begun. Matheson wonders if Lowe might be willing to shop Pitkanen, perhaps to Carolina or to Los Angeles in hopes of landing another scoring forward"

This is the second time we've been rumored to be looking at Pitkanen since the summer. Last time Nic wouldnt let his NTC go with a rumored multiplayer deal that included Erik Cole.

Could this be our guy?

I wonder if JR regrets sending jack johnson to LA before last season. we could sure use that young stud defencman now. and on top of it we got little in return as i recall it was gleason and some one else thats already gone.

This is the second time we've been rumored to be looking at Pitkanen since the summer. Last time Nic wouldnt let his NTC go with a rumored multiplayer deal that included Erik Cole.

Could this be our guy?

Or it could be the same rumor, and just left over from the first time. Since we didn't exactly fix our defensive woes.

Either way, I wouldn't take him. 5 million? Pass.

I wonder if JR regrets sending jack johnson to LA before last season. we could sure use that young stud defencman now. and on top of it we got little in return as i recall it was gleason and some one else thats already gone.

Yeah, because JJ's doing sooooo well in LA. The highlight of the year in that regard is when LA beat someone 8-1 and JJ still managed to finish -1.

Yeah, because JJ's doing sooooo well in LA. The highlight of the year in that regard is when LA beat someone 8-1 and JJ still managed to finish -1.

TO put things in perspective for you, a Young stud defenceman (hardest position to learn) johnson is a -10 on the worst team in the league. LA is a -174 in + - stats ON the other hand carolina is -47 in + - stats and staal is -7. so what r u wining about???

TO put things in perspective for you, a Young stud defenceman (hardest position to learn) johnson is a -10 on the worst team in the league. LA is a -174 in + - stats ON the other hand carolina is -47 in + - stats and staal is -7. so what r u wining about???

I'm saying the JJ thing has been discussed to death, and until JJ proves he's a better defenseman than Gleason (which he has yet to do), right now, we're on the winning side of that deal.

As a reminder:

1) Gleason is already one of our best defensive defensemen.

2) Oleg Tverdovsky and his 2+million salary became the Kings problem.

Jack Johnson has a longggggggg way to go. The games I've seen on center ice I can't help but hand it to the kings who are giving up quite a bit to let Jack learn the game. Kudos to them for handing in the towel this year for the young guys to learn as Jack has been taken to school many times in the games I've seen.

I wish Jack well, but we needed a Dman bad last year and we needed to off load Oleg's salary. Gleason has all the tools and is maturing. I'm more worried about keeping him than any Dman we have. Hardly what I would call getting "little" a year ago.

Gleason is a keeper. In his early twenties, right? Yeah, keep him and who was the Albany Dman call up? Borer? He seemed pretty good. But we definitely need a puck moving Dman. JM Liles, come on down! ;)