The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

The only goal scored last night was when Cole was out and Ladd was in his place with Brind'Amour and Samsonov, I think you need to try that line out for a little while to see what chemistry is there.

I completely agree with this. I do not know what Lavi is thinking. He sees a line that does something, but doesn't continue to use it.

And I have one request. If we get Stoll could we ask him to change his name? Hearing Stoll/Staal will give me a headache. :lol:

No offense to Stoll, but his name is probably the only way he could ever be mistaken for Staal so I think he would be against the change. I have liked every report I have read about Stoll and if he is on the market, I think he is THE guy we need to target if we plan to address the depth at center. At 25-years-old, there is still plenty of time for him to develop into a solid #2 center in the mold of Brind'Amour.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13051' target="_blank">Recchi coming back?[/post]

Eklund makes the comment that Recchi might be on the move, that is if Atlanta is out of the playoffs, and Carolina seems to have interest. Given his season he has had since being picked up by Atlanta do we go for him or not?

Since Atlanta is exactly tied with us right now, Recchi won't be moved anytime soon.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13051' target="_blank">Recchi coming back?[/post]

Eklund makes the comment that Recchi might be on the move, that is if Atlanta is out of the playoffs, and Carolina seems to have interest. Given his season he has had since being picked up by Atlanta do we go for him or not?

Since Atlanta is exactly tied with us right now, Recchi won't be moved anytime soon.

Right now I'd be willing to see Stiller go. Cole is trying like hell and Stillman ain't doin crap. Maybe he'd waive his NTC considering he's up for a contract this year

Right now I'd be willing to see Stiller go. Cole is trying like hell and Stillman ain't doin crap. Maybe he'd waive his NTC considering he's up for a contract this year

Stiller is injured, that is why he isn't playing like he did earlier this season, but I agree...we need to start doing SOMETHING.

Stiller is injured, that is why he isn't playing like he did earlier this season, but I agree...we need to start doing SOMETHING.

It's hard to make the case he is injured given two key points: 1. he has always had stretches in his career when his game just disappears (that's the reason Tampa Bay walked from his arbitration award) and 2. he has never been a prominent PK player at any point in his career until this year and he is still logging lots of minutes there, playing on the first unit with Brindy again last night. An experienced PK'er like Brindy can get away with playing big minutes there with an injury but not Stillman.

Given his willingness to backcheck and battle along the boards, I'd given serious consideration to bringing Samsonov back at a more modest contract and letting Stillman go.

Is this a known fact, or speculation because his play is off?

It's hard to make the case he is injured given two key points: 1. he has always had stretches in his career when his game just disappears (that's the reason Tampa Bay walked from his arbitration award) and 2. he has never been a prominent PK player at any point in his career until this year and he is still logging lots of minutes there, playing on the first unit with Brindy again last night. An experienced PK'er like Brindy can get away with playing big minutes there with an injury but not Stillman.

Given his willingness to backcheck and battle along the boards, I'd given serious consideration to bringing Samsonov back at a more modest contract and letting Stillman go.

So why would he say he is playing through in injury as some have implied they heard during an interview? Just asking.......

I personally didn't hear that interview but the timing of suspected injury seems to coincide with the recent lack of production.

Based on points per game and game winning goals I'm beginning to think the only thing Stillman is guilty of is carrying the team earlier in the season. I'd sign him for 1.75 mil.

Is this a known fact, or speculation because his play is off?

Um, unless Stillman was lying when he said he was playing through an injury when they interviewed him.....

Um, unless Stillman was lying when he said he was playing through an injury when they interviewed him.

I believe interview happened before all star break. Stillman also added that his injury was almost over at the time of the interview.

So why would he say he is playing through in injury as some have implied they heard during an interview? Just asking.......

I personally didn't hear that interview but the timing of suspected injury seems to coincide with the recent lack of production.

Based on points per game and game winning goals I'm beginning to think the only thing Stillman is guilty of is carrying the team earlier in the season. I'd sign him for 1.75 mil.

At this stage, they all have nagging injuries of some sort. The allusion was to a lower body injury and an inexperienced killer will not get 1st unit minutes with that kind of injury. They could plug Cole into that role and not lose anything in the way of performance. I have little doubt Stillman probably does have a nagging injury but if it doesn't take him off the PK, it can't be that serious. The lateral movement a forward needs on the PK would preclude him playing there with any kind of more serious lower body injury.

He isn't going to sign for $1.75 mil again either. He only went for that bargain price because nobody else wanted him after Tampa passed up paying him the arbitration number.

Rumor out of Montreal is that prior to the Montreal/New York Rangers game today Michael Ryder left the arena with all of his gear. We've been linked to him in the past and injuries may have forced Rutherford's hand to make a move.

I believe interview happened before all star break. Stillman also added that his injury was almost over at the time of the interview.

You're right! He must just be playing badly, because there is no such thing as a lingering injury. That Cullen guy is a slacker too. They said his injury was all better before and now he is not playing again. :rolleyes:

Come on now.

From Luke's blog:

The Hamilton dilemma

The Hurricanes are in a bit of a pickle as regards Jeff Hamilton right now, having expected someone to claim him on waivers.

They don't want to send him down, because then they'll have to not only eat his $800,000 NHL salary but can't call him up -- if he goes on re-entry waivers he'll be claimed, but the Canes are stuck paying half his salary not only this summer but next summer.

As the original decision to put him on waivers is a pretty good indication that he no longer fits in their plans, the only way to clean up the mess is to trade him, but that would require taking a high-salaried veteran impending free agent in return, from a team looking to clear cap space.

That group would include players LIKE, if not these actual players, Michael Ryder, Doug Weight, Owen Nolan, Paul Mara, Geoff Sanderson or Sergei Fedorov. (In Fedorov's case, the Canes would take on $1.8 million in salary this year to free up $800K next year, but wouldn't that be something!)

Now, I'm not starting rumors because I don't think any of those players are available (or know if any of those teams are interested in Hamilton), but that's an idea of the market that might be out there.

Interesting...

Ek posted about Ryder too saying that:

Interesting twist. Habs are interested in defensive prospect Kline I am told...could be a part of another deal for the Habs and part of the Preds plan to try and trade for Cole.

At this stage, they all have nagging injuries of some sort. The allusion was to a lower body injury and an inexperienced killer will not get 1st unit minutes with that kind of injury. They could plug Cole into that role and not lose anything in the way of performance. I have little doubt Stillman probably does have a nagging injury but if it doesn't take him off the PK, it can't be that serious. The lateral movement a forward needs on the PK would preclude him playing there with any kind of more serious lower body injury.

He isn't going to sign for $1.75 mil again either. He only went for that bargain price because nobody else wanted him after Tampa passed up paying him the arbitration number.

Fair enough.............

I wouldn't be surprised if he went for a bargain price again given he's three years older since that offer and family appears to be very important to the man.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why Stillman is on the PK other than that he is not very mobile and will "stay at home" more to block the shooting lane from the point.

You're right! He must just be playing badly, because there is no such thing as a lingering injury. That Cullen guy is a slacker too. They said his injury was all better before and now he is not playing again. :rolleyes:

Come on now.

I never said he isn't playing trough injury, i also never said i didn't think he was playing with injury.

I just added few facts. You probably learned from my posts before that i like facts and quotes to be provided when people state something.

Come on now. :rolleyes:

Um, unless Stillman was lying when he said he was playing through an injury when they interviewed him.....

Didn't see the interview. Thanks.

When was it?

When was it?

The Isles game maybe? Honestly I don't write down the dates of specific interviews :lol: It was one of the games shortly before the All-Star game.

When was it?

It was the Isles game that Monday afternoon. Stiller got the GWG in OT and John and Tripp interviewed him afterwards. He made a comment how it was good to get a goal especially when battling through an injury. I've kind of put 2 and 2 together after hearing that interview and think its his knee. If you remember the game before Justin went down, Stiller twisted his knee pretty bad and it didn't look good, but he some how miracously recovered and didn't miss a game. I don't think that knee is 100% and if you watch him close enough, you'll see something is bothering him.

Before I would say trade Stillman...I'd ask my self what would we get in return? I really don't think much...he'd be a salary dump if anything to give him a chance at another cup with a contender...if we get to the point where JR is sure we will not make the playoffs.

Before I would say trade Stillman...I'd ask my self what would we get in return? I really don't think much...he'd be a salary dump if anything to give him a chance at another cup with a contender...if we get to the point where JR is sure we will not make the playoffs.

You really think we wouldn't get much? He'd be a playoff rental, and guys of his calibre have been bringing in very nice returns the last few years.

You really think we wouldn't get much? He'd be a playoff rental, and guys of his calibre have been bringing in very nice returns the last few years.

I hate to say it but with the way he's been playing lately, if we did rent him out we wouldnt really miss him in the line up. When he's healthy, hes a huge part of the line up but he's clearly not healthy right now. ...And other teams must be noticing too.