The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

You really think we wouldn't get much? He'd be a playoff rental, and guys of his calibre have been bringing in very nice returns the last few years.

I hate to say it but with the way he's been playing lately, if we did rent him out we wouldnt really miss him in the line up. When he's healthy, hes a huge part of the line up but he's clearly not healthy right now. ...And other teams must be noticing too.

I would say that by the time this road trip is over JR will have a much clearer picture as to which way he will be leaning towards at the deadline. Will he have a team looking to rebuild or a team looking to beef up for the playoffs. Truth be told even with the injuries this team should have the personel to win on a much more consistant basis. Many teams would give anything for this group of forwards (Whitney/Staal/Cole/Stillman/Brindamour). They should more than make up for our defensive shortcomings. This team is built for a wide open style of hockey and they are very successful five on five. If the special teams had been better this year we would be well above the 500 mark and have no worries.

This was on TSN.

The Calgary Sun has the Hurricanes talking to the Kings about D Tom Preissing.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/columnists/...llen/?ID=228690[/post]

Let me confirm that with the Los Angeles Times, a newspaper with hockey coverage as solid as Gibraltar. (It sure doesn't hurt the paper that columnist Helene Elliott was inducted into the HHOF writers' wing a few years ago.) One of the Times' policies, regardless of section, is to avoid letting unconfirmed rumors go into print. With that, I'll check out today's online Sports edition ...

*GSBG searches paper for mention of proposed Preissing deal*

Well, this came up about Rob Blake:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl/k...1,2311349.story

NEW JERSEY 6, KINGS 3

Without Blake, Kings bow to Devils

By Lisa Dillman, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

February 3, 2008

" ...(Blake's) expected return, incidentally, would be about three or four games before the NHL's Feb. 26 trade deadline. The timing of the injury could possibly disrupt any such plans to move him. Blake has been the subject of trade rumors almost more than any other Kings player with the thought he would waive his no-trade clause."

So far, nothing about Preissing's trade possibilities has been mentioned. I'll go with what the Times -- the paper with far and away the most and best Kings' coverage -- says.

Jan/GSBG

I don't think the Kings are interested in veterans that can score, teams that are on the cusp of the playoffs would be interested in them. The Kings want draft picks and prospects.

Hockey central Guys said Rob Blake would be a good fit. The kings suck this year. i think the canes would be lucky to get him go JR.

Pass.

Kings want a Top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman, prospect, and pick. Way too much for a 'rental' player that won't make this team that much better that they 1) make the playoffs and 2) go far in the playoffs

Figured I'd put this here since it has to do with trading. If you are looking for a big trade, don't get your hopes up. I'm leaning towards 70% JR doesn't pull the trigger this deadline. He will probably wait until the off season if he does anything. There aren't going to be too many guys available, and the ones that are available, you are getting into a bidding war with other teams.

To sum it up, some GM is going to highly overpay and I'd rather JR sit pat than overpay for a rental.

Every year, we're told the trade deadline won't include the massive overpaying for star players, and yet it always does. The argument this year is that, with so many clubs bunched together in the standings, general managers will be reluctant to go all in with their moves, in either direction. Carolina's Rutherford begs to differ. "I think the price and the return for top players will be higher than it's ever been," he said. "First off, there likely have never been this many teams packed so closely in the standings, many of whom feel one top guy can put them over the top. And, secondly, there simply aren't that many top players who will be available, so the bidding for those are (available) should just keep going up."

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...3.html?sid=101

I would like to see JR stand pat right now. After this season we will have Grahame, Wesley and Hedican's salaries all off of the books. That will allow us to go out and get two good d men. The problem I see with the Canes now is that for the last season and a half the offense has been trying to win games by themselves, but then lately the D is playing much better, but due to a lot of the younger, quicker players (Cullen, Williams, LaRose) getting hurt we don't have the high energy, high speed offense running well and the older guys are feeling the toll. Guys like Stillman, Walker and Whitney aren't producing like they can be because they've got to do what they do and fill the void from Cullen and Williams. The only forwards I would look to trade if I was JR are Cole and Ladd because even though I love Cole, neither of them are producing at all on the ice.

I would love to see us go out in the offseason and end up with a Defense next year of Borer, Gleason, Commodore, Seidenburg, and either 2 new defensemen/Wallin or Kaberle and one new defenseman). We've had a lot of freak injuries this year to some of our top young players like Cullen and Williams and it showing that we can't keep the high tempo offense up if other guys like Cole, Stillman, Walker, Whitney aren't going to pick up the slack. I would come back with the same offense next year (good mix of young and veterans) and just revamp the D. I think a trade now will only help us a little in the short term, but will end up killing us in the long term.

I would like to see JR stand pat right now. After this season we will have Grahame, Wesley and Hedican's salaries all off of the books. That will allow us to go out and get two good d men. The problem I see with the Canes now is that for the last season and a half the offense has been trying to win games by themselves, but then lately the D is playing much better, but due to a lot of the younger, quicker players (Cullen, Williams, LaRose) getting hurt we don't have the high energy, high speed offense running well and the older guys are feeling the toll. Guys like Stillman, Walker and Whitney aren't producing like they can be because they've got to do what they do and fill the void from Cullen and Williams. The only forwards I would look to trade if I was JR are Cole and Ladd because even though I love Cole, neither of them are producing at all on the ice.

I would love to see us go out in the offseason and end up with a Defense next year of Borer, Gleason, Commodore, Seidenburg, and either 2 new defensemen/Wallin or Kaberle and one new defenseman). We've had a lot of freak injuries this year to some of our top young players like Cullen and Williams and it showing that we can't keep the high tempo offense up if other guys like Cole, Stillman, Walker, Whitney aren't going to pick up the slack. I would come back with the same offense next year (good mix of young and veterans) and just revamp the D. I think a trade now will only help us a little in the short term, but will end up killing us in the long term.

I think stillmans on his last leg and is a FA at the end of the year, he could provide a nice return in a trade. I dont think that trading FA's in their last year is a detriment to the future seeing theres a chance they wont be retained and you can also pursue them when theyre on the market at the end of the year. Another one is Commodore, teams may be willing to give up more than these 2 are really worth for a cup run and we in turn can get younger as well as fill some of the holes we know exist and hopefully stay competitive for a number of years.

yeah, as much as we'd all like to think it WOULD, trading for ONE good D-man is not going to make this team "a contender". So... if you enter the realm of multi-player deals, complex deals, etc. then I don't think we have enough to offer in return for anyone. I say if we get into the playoffs, great. If not, it's a deep draft and we've got a decent pick in it, so let's leave things alone and do our dealing in the offseason.

I think stillmans on his last leg and is a FA at the end of the year, he could provide a nice return in a trade. I dont think that trading FA's in their last year is a detriment to the future seeing theres a chance they wont be retained and you can also pursue them when theyre on the market at the end of the year. Another one is Commodore, teams may be willing to give up more than these 2 are really worth for a cup run and we in turn can get younger as well as fill some of the holes we know exist and hopefully stay competitive for a number of years.

i love the boys, but i'd have to agree.........new d. aside from a handful of nice plays i haven't seen any defenceman that i think we should keep for sure. for the most part they're all good players, but none of them are great. what we need is someone that will make a difference in front of our net............just my 2 cents

after what commie has shown this year, I think we have to let him go, especially if he is going to command high dollars that he is not worth, and I would not be adverse to trading him

I was against trading Stillman early in the year cause he was the MVP of this team for half the year....but he is getting slower, and I think we could pick up a good defensive prospect for him, or possible a 1st round pick (lot sof good young defensemen in this year's draft). If cullen is gone for the year, and williams has no chance of returning for the playoffs, I'd lay off going after a guy like Rob Blake or any star to help in the short term unless we are confident we'll re-sign them.

If he doesn't make a move for the present at the deadline, I would hope Rutherford would make moves for the future. To think that this offense will be better with guys like Brind'Amour and Stillman a year older isn't realistic. If he thinks the price is too high at the trade deadline, he shouldn't expect them to get any better in the offseason.

If he doesn't make a move for the present at the deadline, I would hope Rutherford would make moves for the future. To think that this offense will be better with guys like Brind'Amour and Stillman a year older isn't realistic. If he thinks the price is too high at the trade deadline, he shouldn't expect them to get any better in the offseason.

In the N&O today JR stated he won't be making any move for a short term fix, he will be looking at trades that he thinks will contribute for the long term.

yeah, as much as we'd all like to think it WOULD, trading for ONE good D-man is not going to make this team "a contender". So... if you enter the realm of multi-player deals, complex deals, etc. then I don't think we have enough to offer in return for anyone. I say if we get into the playoffs, great. If not, it's a deep draft and we've got a decent pick in it, so let's leave things alone and do our dealing in the offseason.

Dont understand your thinking, the canes are not contenders even with the D-man they need, but instead of trying to deal now to get a head start on the retooling, they should sit and possibly let stiiman and commodore walk with nothing in return.

Here's what Caniac97 is referring to:

But general manager Jim Rutherford still considers himself a buyer rather than a seller as the Feb. 26 trade deadline approaches, primarily because of the Canes' chances in the wide-open Southeast.

He has taken a positive message from Saturday's 4-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins and Tuesday's 1-0 loss to the Nashville Predators.

"The two losses don't change my opinion. It's actually the opposite," Rutherford said. "I see signs of this team coming together. We played five good periods out of six on the road."

A puck-moving defenseman remains at the top of Carolina's list, but Rutherford said he plans to avoid the rental market of potential unrestricted free agents.

"If we do that, it won't just be for now," Rutherford said. "It will be for future years. We're not bringing in a guy for a quick fix. If there's a guy that fits our team and we can do that, we'll do it."

To get the defenseman JR wants, a top guy is going the other way. If we are loosing a top guy, I'd rather the player we get in return is here for a couple years, not till July 1st then its see ya later. JR is going about it the right way IMHO.

As long as he wants to play, I see JR giving Wesley another contract, only have to decide how much.

I think JRs comments in the N&O about not wanting a rental could be putting him out of the running for some players/teams who may just want to move a player to be a rental.

examples: Weight and Recchi in 05-06

I think JRs comments in the N&O about not wanting a rental could be putting him out of the running for some players/teams who may just want to move a player to be a rental.

Or deep down he realizes that one guy isn't going to fix what is ailing this team so no need to get rid of top guys or the future (prospects/picks) for a rental player.

Gotta keep in mind in 05-06, we clinched the division early, i believe late Feb. It was a well known fact that this team was making the playoffs. Right now, we have no clue and as it stands, if the playoffs started tomorrow, we wouldn't be there. There's no point in sacrificing our future for a quick fix now, b/c that one guy isn't going to put us over the top like Weight/Recchi did.

We'll either need to shore up for the present or stockpile for the future. It's nice to say that we shouldn't give up our future for the present, but the fact of the matter is that our "future" is really bleak at the moment. Outside of Borer and Carson, I wouldn't expect to see any of our prospects ready for the NHL next season. We don't have a system full of prospects ready to step up once the older guys call it a career. Our junior hockey prospects (Bowman, Sutter, Terry, etc.) are all atleast two years away from the NHL if not more. If the future is what you have your eye on, we'll need to explore the potential to trade a player like Brind'Amour, Cole, Stillman, or Whitney for picks and prospects. Sit and wait attitude doesn't work if you don't have a system full of solid prospects. While it worked for teams like Chicago, St. Louis, and Washington, there isn't a prospect in our system that even comes close the talent of guys like Toews, Erik Johnson, and Backstrom.

Good. This team shouldn't be giving up picks/prospects for players in their late 30s...even if we were bonafied "contenders".