The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

We need to go on a streak one way or another to decide which way to go. This .500 stuff doesn't help make this decision any easier. If we would just drop the next 4 games, we could be landlords instead of renters, and perhaps fix that problem. This staying on the brink of a playoff spot makes it tough to decide what to do. I'd rather win the next 4, but my guess is we'll go 2-2 and be in the same situation, within 1 or 2 points of the playoffs and another week down the road with the picture no clearer.

With Rutherford's insistance that the deal will be future looking, Pitkanen makes sense, but only if the Canes are sure they can resign him and don't have to pay too much for him. With the Oiler's postion in the standings and the recent loss of Horcroff, you'd think they'd be turning into sellers. But the point of being a seller is generally to accumulate young talent, which is what Pitkanen is, so I'm not sure he'd be on the block except for a great deal or if they beleive he won't resign at a reasonable price.

this team is going no where fast. win a couple,loose a couple.....aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. one or two guys are not going to make a differance. and if you want someone to make a differancewe will be forced to give up one of our top players. its time to retool, keep the nucleus in tact. staal, cole, ward, gleason, boyer, everyone else is avalible if JR can get a good return on them. i wouldnt mind seing us drop down into the draft lotteryfor a year or two if that is what it takes to get top young talent. look at chicogo, pittsburgh and washington who have had toppicks in the draft. those highdraft picks turn into game breakers. sell offsome veterans for draft picks and young players. hope you can sighn a couple free agents this summer.

I'm not sure that this team could get deep into the playoffs( if they even make them), so I think it would be wrong to trade a good player or high draft position for a rental player.

I'm not sure that this team could get deep into the playoffs( if they even make them), so I think it would be wrong to trade a good player or high draft position for a rental player.

Would you rather not make the playoffs if you are not going to at least make the ECFs?

Would you rather not make the playoffs if you are not going to at least make the ECFs?

I don't think its a question of whether you would want to make the conference finals, its whether you'd rather trade a piece of the future to make the playoffs and then not get past the first round because the team just wasn't that good. That is the position the canes are in, they could make a splash like ATL did last year and have nothing to show for it except a the gate money from 2 home games (not that isn't a significant amount of money). JR's recent comments make it sound like he is trying to avoid that senario and he only wants to make a trade if the player he picks up will be around after next year and is not a rental who will pack up and leave.

I don't think its a question of whether you would want to make the conference finals, its whether you'd rather trade a piece of the future to make the playoffs and then not get past the first round because the team just wasn't that good. That is the position the canes are in, they could make a splash like ATL did last year and have nothing to show for it except a the gate money from 2 home games (not that isn't a significant amount of money). JR's recent comments make it sound like he is trying to avoid that senario and he only wants to make a trade if the player he picks up will be around after next year and is not a rental who will pack up and leave.

good point..agreed. I've always liked his stance though that we should be able to win with the pieces we have. Yet our D is so suspect that it's probably hard for him to swallow his pride and admit that in the last two years some poeple were let go who shouldn't have been and some were extended when they shouldn't have been. Also not having 3 of your top 9 forwards is a pretty difficult pill to swallow when so much is unkown about Cullen and to some extent Larose.

Of course hind sight is always 50/50....

It's funny, I haven't heard that the 'Canes are seriously trying to trade for anyone. So many of the players in this topic that have been rumored to come here have also been rumored to go other places as well...in fact usually in more concrete terms. Liles to the Rangers, Campbell to the Sharks, etc. I honestly don't think we're close to getting anybody.

Firstly, we are definitely not in the rental market. The only reason to rent is when you are solid and want to push yourself over the top. We are not there. Supposedly we have been a team of good chemistry. This is a good thing and keeping the nucleus of that chemistry is key. However change is an inevitable and necessary thing. Trade Staal, Ward... no way. I'd even say that we need to keep a guy like Cullen who has seen that going to another team just for the money can sometimes suck but who fits in very well here. We do have guys that would fit well in other systems, retool, move on and hopefully both teams get what they want. We were hot on Pitkanen last year and I think the way he would fit into Lavi's system is key. I'd definitely think JRs made some calls here.

If anything, I think we need to become a fast team again. That's what Lavi's system is all about; speed and aggresive forechecking.

Which brings us right back that ever so important puck moving defenseman to boost the transitiong game. Without it, things arent getting much better as long as they play this system.

If anything, I think we need to become a fast team again. That's what Lavi's system is all about; speed and aggresive forechecking.

Which brings us right back that ever so important puck moving defenseman to boost the transitiong game. Without it, things arent getting much better as long as they play this system.

But the question is do we wait to get one in the offseason w/o giving core players and having more room by not resignig some one, or do we trade for one now when all the sellers are going to jack up the prices?

But the question is do we wait to get one in the offseason w/o giving core players and having more room by not resignig some one, or do we trade for one now when all the sellers are going to jack up the prices?

I think you've answered your question...why pay jacked up prices when you can shop at the thrift store this summer!

Who's to say the prices will be any cheaper in the offseason? It is rumored that Joni Pitkanen will demand over $4 million a year, which will likely drive up the price of every other offensive defenseman on the market. Either way, we'll have to make moves to accomodate any free agent we sign.

As for the belief that we haven't been connected to any players thus far. CBC mentioned that there was a deal on the table in the offseason that would have sent Cole to the Kings for Frolov straight-up, but the Kings pulled the deal off of the table at the last minute. The Fourth Period mentioned just recently that we also had a deal in place to acquire Pitkanen, yet it was also pulled off of the table at the last minute by Philadelphia and Pitkanen was sent to Edmonton. I also think Cole's name has been mentioned far too much for it to simply be un-founded speculation. If it was just Eklund, that would be one story, but it seems that Cole is mentioned just about anywhere that wants to talk hockey and trade speculation. I think if any deal is made in the next couple of weeks, he will definitely be the center-piece on our end.

Would I rather see this team trade the older guys and stockpile for the future? Yes. Do I think that will happen? No. I think this will eventually turn out to be Rutheford's final year with the Hurricanes and I would expect him to make the necessary moves to try and leave with another Stanley Cup on his resume.

Well I certainly don't think of Cole as one of the older players that needs to go...but hey if he's our only trade-bait then whatever. I just don't wanna see JR risk our entire future by trying to salvage this single season.

Per Spector's we had scouts at the San Jose game last night:

"With the Sharks hosting three teams in four days, a large contingent

of scouts has descended.

At Friday's game against Columbus, scouts included Nashville (who the

Sharks play on Saturday), Los Angeles, Rangers (who the Sharks play

in less than ten days), Carolina, Tampa Bay, Ottawa (who the Sharks

play in 3.5 weeks). and Toronto."

I was thinking Ryder this morning. He's been a healthy scratch in Montreal and sounds like the team and fans are ready for him to go. He shouldn't cost us too much, probably a decent prospect. We need someone to fill in for Williams/Cullen while their out. I think playing alongside Brind'Amour could help Ryder find his scoring again.

I think that is a good suggestion cosidering we could get him for a low draft pick and Montreal also has plenty of good young d men