The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

I got a good one for u guys - Staal for Pronger straight up. ;)

HAHAHAHA! Kind of like catch 'n release, then snagged again. If Pronger was younger, I'd take that deal.

I cannot believe Eklund sometimes. He just amazes me with some of the stuff that he comes up with.

Let's see...Carolina's got a surplus in offense. In order to get hits, let's say they're trading the face of the franchise. But with whom...AH! They've got a history with the Oilers, let's go with that!

But they also need defensive help...So I'll post that they're giving away one of their defensemen, just to confuse everyone!

:rolleyes:

I agree that Ladd could go but I think the Staal/Whitney/Cole line is a keeper. We need another scrappy forward to replace Justin and we need a defenseman who can QB the powerplay when Hamilton/Cullen aren't out there.

I say Commodore goes nowhere considering he is one of our defensemen besides Wesley that has been key lately in breaking up big plays. Kaberle/Wallin/Seidenberg/Tanabe are defensemen that I would offer up and Ladd/Letwoski/Adams/Larose for forwards. I love all those guys but this is sports and if it were my choice I would be willing to part with them. Not cuz they haven't played well, but because they are consistant enough to be worth something but not so valuable that the team production would suffer.

Of course there are always some prospects or draft picks.

Those of you suggesting trading Cole or Staal you are throwing away the best line on the team right now doing that. You better have something really good to get for trading one or both of those guys. Those 2 for one defensemen would NOT be worth it. If you're going to trade anyone at this point in the season it can't be the heart or the core of the team. It has to be role players or prospects.

If only we could clone Lidstrom.

Rob Blake? my favorite non Cane. Love to see him here if only for rest of this season and possibly one more.

The guy loves surfing so the Outer Banks gotta be appealing.

Feel like stirring the pot tonight :lol:

Ah, I love me some Rob Blake too, but he's getting old, he's overpaid for what he brings to the table now, and if Colorado's in the playoff picture come deadline, he'll be going there if anywhere.

PM me if you're interested in buying a cheap Rob Blake Avalanche jersey. I know a place where you can get 'em for $43. ;)

I don't think Seidenberg's going anywhere. He's been great this season despite playing through nagging injuries and getting scratched by the coaches at the beginning of the season for no real reason. He's another one of JR's diamonds in the rough.

I also don't get why Commodore is seen as untouchable by those on the boards. Sure, he's popular and a fan favorite, but he's probably one of the more important guys in a potential Liles trade. I like Commie, but would trade him in a heartbeat if we can get that PP QB we want with him (and a good one, not Joe frickin' Corvo).

As for McGrattan, he's probably a better enforcer than Brookbank is and will come cheap. I'll take him.

Regarding Ladd moving, since we're so short on forwards now, I'm tempted to believe otherwise. He's been playing real well (even after that injury he sustained from Avery), and will only progress. If we still had our full top nine forwards, then I can see us throwing his name around, but for the time being, he's a keeper.

Personally, I would package Andrew Ladd, John Grahame, and a draft pick and see if that is enough to fetch Alexander Frolov out of Los Angeles. Then, once everyone is healthy, our line-up would look like this:

Frolov / Staal / Cole

Stillman / Brind'Amour / Walker

Whitney / Cullen / Letowski

Adams or Nolan / Hamilton / LaRose

At the moment, offense should be our main concern not team toughness. A quick look at our opponents tonight, Chuck Kobasew should enter the conversation as a potential acquisition.

A quick look at our opponents tonight, Chuck Kobasew should enter the conversation as a potential acquisition.

Love to have him but the Bruins aren't sellers yet. Even if they were, Kobasew won't be for sale, unfortunately.

A quick look at our opponents tonight, Chuck Kobasew should enter the conversation as a potential acquisition.

Love to have him but the Bruins aren't sellers yet. Even if they were, Kobasew won't be for sale, unfortunately.

I say Commodore goes nowhere considering he is one of our defensemen besides Wesley that has been key lately in breaking up big plays. Kaberle/Wallin/Seidenberg/Tanabe are defensemen that I would offer up and Ladd/Letwoski/Adams/Larose for forwards. I love all those guys but this is sports and if it were my choice I would be willing to part with them. Not cuz they haven't played well, but because they are consistant enough to be worth something but not so valuable that the team production would suffer.

Those of you suggesting trading Cole or Staal you are throwing away the best line on the team right now doing that. You better have something really good to get for trading one or both of those guys. Those 2 for one defensemen would NOT be worth it. If you're going to trade anyone at this point in the season it can't be the heart or the core of the team. It has to be role players or prospects.

Wallin has a NTC and he already proved he won't waive it as he didn't this summer. We need a Top Defenseman, Kaberle/Tanabe/Letowski/Adams/LaRose are not going to get you a Top Defenseman. Even if you package 2 or 3 of them together, no go.

And I really don't see Seidenberg or Ladd getting us what we want unless their packaged together.

Cole will get you a top defenseman plus a prospect in return.

Staal isn't going anywhere.

Point is, if a team is giving up a top defenseman, they don't want our role players or garbage or prospects. To get something you have to give something.

Here's more on the defense part:

Colorado Avalanche defenseman John-Michael Liles, who can become an unrestricted free agent after the season, is believed to be atop Carolina's list.

The Canes would likely be willing to gamble that they can re-sign the 27-year-old, who has fallen out of favor in Colorado after breaking the 40-point mark in the previous two seasons.

Other defensemen who may be on the market at some point include Derek Morris of the Phoenix Coyotes, Tom Preissing of the Los Angeles Kings and Joni Pitkanen of the Edmonton Oilers.

Now for the Avs followers: what does Colorado need and who can we offer to get the deal done.

JR also talks about how hard it is to acquire that defenseman and that the price is high and will get higher as the deadline approaches. So those who are thinking Letowski/Adams/LaRose etc are gonna get us a defenseman, think again.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/866952.html

With Liles' name coming up again, hardly a surprise, I'd think you would be looking at moving Commodore for him. They are both slated to be UFA's there is risk both ways but here is why each team could sign them. Liles needs a fresh start, prefers a skating, attacking style consistent with the Canes' system and has experience playing for Lavi with Team USA.

Commodore is a Quenneville-type Dman - big, physical and defense-first. Commodore is from Western Canada and Denver is much closer to home and the Avs system is better suited to his style. With Theodore's bloated contract finally coming off the books, the Avs will have a little salary to throw Commodore's way that the Canes' likely won't. There is no guarantee of course but it makes for some interesting thoughts.

The forward will be a depth guy who is a relatively cheap, pending UFA like Kapenen in Phoenix or maybe even Sanderson in Edmonton (despite his past history here). They probably don't want to tie their hands with a bigger, longer-term contract but if someone too good comes along at an affordable price they might pull the trigger as a future hedge in the event Stillman can't be signed.

I wonder if they are going to go with a "change of scenery" trade. Get a guy like Michael Ryder who has produced in the past but is in theie teams doghouse right now. Washed up Russians? I'm thinking a Sergei there (Federov or Samsonov).

I wonder if they are going to go with a "change of scenery" trade. Get a guy like Michael Ryder who has produced in the past but is in theie teams doghouse right now. Washed up Russians? I'm thinking a Sergei there (Federov or Samsonov).

Haha...Federov makes like $5 million/year still probably, Columbus could only wish we'd take him, maybe back in 1998, but not ten years later, so yea can't afford him even if we wanted him.

Samsonov, he is a risk, but you could ge thim cheap off waivers, but he could be a potential cancer in the locker room like he was in Montreal. I think he'd be another whipping boy on this team like kaberle kind of is.

Ryder is an interesting choice, cause I know he'll actually play physical, not sure how badly Habs want to dump him though cause of what he's done in years past.

Overall i'd love to get Liles if the asking price is just Commodore and a mid-round pick or something, I'm all over it if I'm on the GM. But first, you gotta find out if he would actually be open to playing here in future seasons. If not, don't care for him as a rental.

I was wondering about Fedorov's contract. We would not take on a 5 mil per contract. Samsonov, however, is a bit more interesting. you take a chance with clubhouse chemistry, but he has been a goal scorer in past seasons. I honestly don't even know where he's playing right now, but I heard washed up russians and those two were the first that came to mind.

If we could get Ryder for a prospect and a pick, I would do it in a second.

Ryder is an interesting choice, cause I know he'll actually play physical, not sure how badly Habs want to dump him though cause of what he's done in years past.

I was thinking Ryder this morning. He's been a healthy scratch in Montreal and sounds like the team and fans are ready for him to go. He shouldn't cost us too much, probably a decent prospect. We need someone to fill in for Williams/Cullen while their out. I think playing alongside Brind'Amour could help Ryder find his scoring again.

Now the only question remains, are we going to our D man now? :huh:

I certainly hope so. If we get Cullen back in a reasonable amount of time, we'll always have a reduced price Sampsonov to use as a part of a package toward a new Dman.

I certainly hope so. If we get Cullen back in a reasonable amount of time, we'll always have a reduced price Sampsonov to use as a part of a package toward a new Dman.

This one will take a bit longer. Like JR said the asking price for these defenseman are quite high. Theres gonna be alot of wheeling and dealing going on. I don't see a defenseman trade for atleast a couple weeks.