The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

Wallin has a NTC and he already proved he won't waive it as he didn't this summer. We need a Top Defenseman, Kaberle/Tanabe/Letowski/Adams/LaRose are not going to get you a Top Defenseman. Even if you package 2 or 3 of them together, no go.

And I really don't see Seidenberg or Ladd getting us what we want unless their packaged together.

Cole will get you a top defenseman plus a prospect in return.

Staal isn't going anywhere.

Point is, if a team is giving up a top defenseman, they don't want our role players or garbage or prospects. To get something you have to give something.

ehhhh true.

I guess if anything I was also proving the point we don't have much to offer anyone. Do you break up the chemistry right now of the Cole/Staal/Whitney line just to get something from Cole? I say ride them while they're hot. They continue to improve on their efforts together once they are in the zone.

Perhaps we should trust our veteran defensemen(once they are all healthy), stick with the power play comprised of forwards(which by the way was tops in the league at one point) and pray for better goaltending.

With a 7-0 loss to the Predators fresh in their minds, I think now is the time to approach the Kings about a potential package trade that would include Grahame and a forward on our end in return for a defenseman and a draft pick or prospect on their end.

Denis Potvin on XM this morning mentioned that LA will need to try and get something for their surplus of defensemen, and that Rob Blake has agreed to waive his no trade clause if traded to a contender.

He then cited Carolina as the most likely destination for Blake. He did not allude to if he was speculating or if he had insider info.

Denis Potvin on XM this morning mentioned that LA will need to try and get something for their surplus of defensemen, and that Rob Blake has agreed to waive his no trade clause if traded to a contender.

He then cited Carolina as the most likely destination for Blake. He did not allude to if he was speculating or if he had insider info.

No Thanks. Scott Laughlin was doing his if you could get a UFA at the deadline who would it be. He pretty much said Blake is gonna cost you alot. That LA is going to want high end prospects and high picks. Two things we either don't have or can't afford to loose for a rental player. I would stay clear of Blake, just my 2 cents.

I still would try and get either Liles out of Colorado or Preissing out of LA, but not Blake.

I think this Samsonov move is also a move to free up another forward for the trade for a DMan.

I just don't want it to be Cole, I think Staal has a lot of trouble when Cole is out.

Samsonov could fill a Whitney role, at least as far as puck handling and speed go. Finishing is a problem, but of course we are not going to get something for nothing. He is no Whitney, but I think you could make a case that you could replace Whitney with him if you were able to get a good defenseman for Whitney.

I dont want to get rid of the wizard he means more to this team than Samsonov does, I mean I think Sergei will be a big part of this team but I dont think he could take Ray's spot and put up the same production as he does, Id like to see him on a line with Cole, all that speed would be crazy which would equal alot of penalty's. I was pleased with his performance last night.

I dont want to get rid of the wizard he means more to this team than Samsonov does, I mean I think Sergei will be a big part of this team but I dont think he could take Ray's spot and put up the same production as he does, Id like to see him on a line with Cole, all that speed would be crazy which would equal alot of penalty's. I was pleased with his performance last night.

I agree wholeheartedly with the thought that his production will not come close to the Wizard's. I am just saying that this move made a trade for a forward for a defenseman much more likely, and looking at the guys who could actually bring in someone decent, I think they are Cole, Whitney and Stiller.

We're also in the situation with Stiller that he is a free agent at the end of the year as well, and although I would hate to see him go too, he could be considered in a rental situation. Not that we would be able to get someone in a rental situation for a rental necessarily, but maybe that happens too with LA for instance. A rental for a rental.

Ray would not be a rental, his attractiveness is he is locked up for 3 years at a relatively low salary vs. performance, and he is putting up career numbers. Buy low, sell high. His stock must be at its peak.

I don't want to see any of the 3 going, but I just think something is going to happen, and this latest move makes it even more likely.

I don't think Stiller's going anywhere. I've heard him say he'd like to retire here in NC because we were the only team that wanted him after his stint with Tampa Bay. JR would be wise to sign him to an extension immediately.

I know Williams is popular here, but am I the only one who can see him being a piece of the puzzle? Sure, he's on IR, but you know other GM's wouldn't mind having him. If Samsonov can produce with Brindy, Williams can almost be considered expendable. Players usually aren't the same after having surgery on the same knee twice. I'm sure other GM's know this, but isn't there a chance we might be able to trick a not very good one like Ferguson for someone like Tomas Kaberle?

I certainly hope so. If we get Cullen back in a reasonable amount of time, we'll always have a reduced price Sampsonov to use as a part of a package toward a new Dman.

He passed through waivers and re-entry waivers, then waivers again before we finally claimed him on his second time on re-entry waivers. No one took him for free. Do you honestly believe anyone would give something up for him?

I say if we are out of contention come the trade deadline we should unload some of our UFA's. We could trade them for prospects and draft picks and still resign them in the summer if they would like to return. St.louis have rebuilt their team by trading guys at the deadline and I believe we could do the same.

From Spectors:

- The Carolina Hurricanes are believed interested in Colorado defenceman John-Michael Liles and might be pitching either forward Andrew Ladd or defenceman Tim Gleason.

Spector's Note: Liles has been oft-rumoured on the move by the deadline but if the Avs do shop him I suspect it could be for a scoring forward, given their recent injury woes up front.

From Spectors:

- The Carolina Hurricanes are believed interested in Colorado defenceman John-Michael Liles and might be pitching either forward Andrew Ladd or defenceman Tim Gleason.

Spector's Note: Liles has been oft-rumoured on the move by the deadline but if the Avs do shop him I suspect it could be for a scoring forward, given their recent injury woes up front.

I do know that the scouts were out on our bench during warmups watching someone, most likely Liles. I am just not so sure that trading either Ladd OR Gleason would be the answer.

I'd rather see JR dump certain players for picks and fill the voids with Rats until he can use the UFA market this summer. I think our troubles are way deeper than one or two new and probably expensive faces could overcome right now.

I do know that the scouts were out on our bench during warmups watching someone, most likely Liles. I am just not so sure that trading either Ladd OR Gleason would be the answer.

I agree, I would hate to see either go, especially Timmy, I do love to watch him! He was hilarious at SWTC yesterday! If they do trade him, at least I got my jersey signed!

I'd rather see JR dump certain players for picks and fill the voids with Rats until he can use the UFA market this summer. I think our troubles are way deeper than one or two new and probably expensive faces could overcome right now.

My thoughts exactly, too.

I don't think one or two players is going to turn this ship around. It's going to take a major overhaul of the roster, and even the Canes' system, to make a difference. We've only started to see the difference in stocking up Albany this year to having minor leaguers that might not be ready to play the big time full-time, but can be called up when needed. It needs to go much further, though.

Especially with the limitations of the self-imposed salary cap, this team is hurting as being the 3rd "oldest" in the league. Some fresh young faces not only could bring on some new vigor to the team, but also could help to lower the salaries of the team.

Trade for the future, and not today, would be my focus. No more prospects/picks for veterans from us, but turn it around and do the opposite if anything.

It'll be tough to swallow loosing Ladd or Gleason. These are the 2 youngest guys on the team 22/24, and I'm one to believe we need to hang onto them. Loosing a RFA to a FA this summer will be tough, even tougher if Liles doesn't sign here come July.

On his new rumor chart he suggests that we are sellers and that Stillman and Commodore are available (but does state they will return after the playoffs).

On his new rumor chart he suggests that we are sellers and that Stillman and Commodore are available (but does state they will return after the playoffs).

Those are the two I would deal, Stillman would come back and keep his family here, and I don't know about Commodore. I think that if JR knows he's not going to be able to resign him, he'll deal him. I don't want to deal anyone who's contract isn't up at the end of the year or a RFA.

I was just reading the AVs message board, and they are all saying that we should take Liles. I got on there to get their views on it. Some of them are for Commie going there, but one did mention that they would like to have Gleason. I was suprised to see how they have been keeping up with us. I guess we'll wait to see what may happen.

I would post their comments, but I'm not sure how to do that without cutting and pasting. Besides, their entire trade thread is 53 pages long. I jumped to the end and went back to page 50 or 51.

I was just reading the AVs message board, and they are all saying that we should take Liles. I got on there to get their views on it. Some of them are for Commie going there, but one did mention that they would like to have Gleason. I was suprised to see how they have been keeping up with us. I guess we'll wait to see what may happen.

I would post their comments, but I'm not sure how to do that without cutting and pasting. Besides, their entire trade thread is 53 pages long. I jumped to the end and went back to page 50 or 51.

I'm a semi-regular poster there, and most of the Liles discussion has come from around page 48 or so. You haven't missed too much.

I read this morning that Brian Campbell wants to wait until the season ends before he considers options offered by Buffalo. If Buffalo is consistent to their past, they will not offer what other teams would, once Campbell becomes an UFA. Therefore it would be in their best interest to deal him before his contract expires. He

I read this morning that Brian Campbell wants to wait until the season ends before he considers options offered by Buffalo. If Buffalo is consistent to their past, they will not offer what other teams would, once Campbell becomes an UFA. Therefore it would be in their best interest to deal him before his contract expires. He