The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

I was just reading the AVs message board, and they are all saying that we should take Liles. I got on there to get their views on it. Some of them are for Commie going there, but one did mention that they would like to have Gleason. I was suprised to see how they have been keeping up with us. I guess we'll wait to see what may happen.

I would post their comments, but I'm not sure how to do that without cutting and pasting. Besides, their entire trade thread is 53 pages long. I jumped to the end and went back to page 50 or 51.

Are they saying he would be a good fit or is its the "hooray someone will take him off our hands"? I generally don't take it as a good sign when fans of another team are happy someone gets traded away or signed away. Usually that shows some kind of problem.

Those are the two I would deal, Stillman would come back and keep his family here, and I don't know about Commodore. I think that if JR knows he's not going to be able to resign him, he'll deal him. I don't want to deal anyone who's contract isn't up at the end of the year or a RFA.

I just get a feeling that if anyone will be dealt from this team it will be an elder statesmen....such as we did with Francis. Those seem to be the players that get traded or "loaned out". Good examples are Francis to Toronto(though that may have been a we'll give you one last shot at the cup) and Recchi/Weight to us.

I guess the the biggest question seems to be is how far away from being a serious contender are we? 1 or 2 players away? If it is more than 3, then we could see a change of leadership(player wise) in the lockeroom?

I say if we are out of contention come the trade deadline we should unload some of our UFA's. We could trade them for prospects and draft picks and still resign them in the summer if they would like to return. St.louis have rebuilt their team by trading guys at the deadline and I believe we could do the same.

Not to sound like an idiot (still learning some of the stat stuff), who are are UFA's?

From nhlnumbers.com:

Keith Aucoin

Ryan Bayda

Wade Brookbank

Mike Commodore

John Grahame

Bret Hedican

Michael Leighton

Trevor Letowski

Sergei Samsonov

Cory Stillman

Glen Wesley

I just get a feeling that if anyone will be dealt from this team it will be an elder statesmen....such as we did with Francis. Those seem to be the players that get traded or "loaned out". Good examples are Francis to Toronto(though that may have been a we'll give you one last shot at the cup) and Recchi/Weight to us.

I guess the the biggest question seems to be is how far away from being a serious contender are we? 1 or 2 players away? If it is more than 3, then we could see a change of leadership(player wise) in the lockeroom?

you forget Wesley, he got shipped to Toronto one year then got injured and didn't play in the playoffs for them.

Are they saying he would be a good fit or is its the "hooray someone will take him off our hands"? I generally don't take it as a good sign when fans of another team are happy someone gets traded away or signed away. Usually that shows some kind of problem.

good point....totally off the subject but, ill raise a ty conklin issue. edmonton and buffalo wanted him off their hands and the pens are now grinning ear to ear. just an analogy.

Liles has worn out his welcome in Colorado not b/c he has an attitude, he's just not producing the way the fans want him to. He could be a case of change of scenery or the Avs system isn't working for him anymore. IMHO, the way Liles plays, he would be a better fit with our style, the up tempo aggressive forecheck.

Here's the latest from Spectors, they apparently pulled this out of the Ottawa Sun. I agree with the Spector's dude, these trades won't happen:

Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford would like to acquire Senators forward Antoine Vermette or d-man Joe Corvo, but he's reluctant to trade winger Erik Cole. It's also rumored he could move Cole to Columbus for David Vyborny.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Cole's offensive production is down a bit this season but I don't see Rutherford moving him for Corvo or Vermette, and I certainly don't see him going to Columbus for Vyborny.

I do see JR interested in Vermette and Corvo, but he won't move Cole to the Sens period. And Cole for Vyborny, not sure where this is coming from, but will never happen.

lol David Vyborny??? Very crafty player...just like Slava Kozlov and Ray Whitney...but not worth trading for...esp. not a power winger like Cole. We don't need anymore smallish winger types...

I'm a little fearful everytime I hear that Aaron Ward is on the market. I just can't help but feel that we'll over-pay with a draft pick or prospect to add another old and injury-prone ex-Hurricane to our stable of old and injury-prone Hurricanes.

I'm a little fearful everytime I hear that Aaron Ward is on the market. I just can't help but feel that we'll over-pay with a draft pick or prospect to add another old and injury-prone ex-Hurricane to our stable of old and injury-prone Hurricanes.

Aaron Ward is on the market??

It was mentioned on the NBC broadcast of the Bruins/Rangers game today.

I wasn't listening that close. Hmmm...we should get him :lol:

If Hedican and/or Wesley retire after this year I won't be surprised if JR brings him back for $1-1.5M next season. We will need a veteran presence on the blueline and he's already stated he wants to come back. But I don't see Ward here anytime before July 1st, if he comes back at all.

If Hedican and/or Wesley retire after this year I won't be surprised if JR brings him back for $1-1.5M next season. We will need a veteran presence on the blueline and he's already stated he wants to come back. But I don't see Ward here anytime before July 1st, if he comes back at all.

I could see it happening too, but I dont like the idea of it. Like JJ said we dont need another old ex-cane. Plus he is probably going to retire soon anyway, and we dont need to be getting any older.

I could see it happening too, but I dont like the idea of it. Like JJ said we dont need another old ex-cane. Plus he is probably going to retire soon anyway, and we dont need to be getting any older.

If both Hedican/Wesley retire, I have no problems bringing Ward back if not only for the veteran presence. We can't can't expect Wallin or Kaberle to lead our defense or atleast I don't want these 2 guiding Gleason/Seidenberg and Commodore ain't ready for that. However, if Wesley decides to comeback, then we don't need another vet, hence, we shouldn't bring Ward back.

With the way Wesley has played this year, and his ability to stay healthy, I'd be surprised if he DIDN'T return next season.

Yeah, I think Wesley could be turning into Chelios. Don't even expect retirement until you see it in writing.

If both Hedican/Wesley retire, I have no problems bringing Ward back if not only for the veteran presence. We can't can't expect Wallin or Kaberle to lead our defense or atleast I don't want these 2 guiding Gleason/Seidenberg and Commodore ain't ready for that. However, if Wesley decides to comeback, then we don't need another vet, hence, we shouldn't bring Ward back.

Hedican retiring in and of itself would free up enough for us to bring back Ward... and I really don't see why we'd trade now for him (unless you factor in the dire need for some DEFENSE on our team... esp since, no matter what, Kaberle ain't gonna play any). I will not be suprised to see him signed over next summer (whether or not Wesley retires, and I hope he doesn't)

I'm not sure why everytime we make room we want to bring an old player back????

We got a chance to get someone better then Ward, he was good sure.... but theres better...

Besides your replacing a great backwards skating d-man with another Commodorish player. Thats not a smooth move considering our d-man already cant get out of the zone and your gonna add more muscle over handling players.

It says today that Carolina is interested in the following two D-men:

John Michael-Liles - Col

Marek Zidlicky - Nash

I know I would like to see Liles here but don't know if Zidlicky is worth his 3.2 mil paycheck.

Anyone have thoughts on him and how he would fit in here?

I think Zidlicky could fit in here, but I really haven't watched much of him. From what I've seen he is what we are looking for as far as the puck moving defenseman.

I'd perfer Liles, but then I've been a Liles fan for years, so I could just be bias.