The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Trade Winds Swirling

Trade everybody including the coach

Great idea, I think maybe we should start with members of this board too....who's first? <_<

Trade everybody including the coach

Great idea, I think maybe we should start with members of this board too....who's first? <_<

So you'd really prefer having Jason LaBarbera (a.k.a. The Dying Octopus) tending goal for the Canes?? :unsure:

Jan/GSBG

Actually, when you consider how bad the Kings are, LaBarbera's numbers are pretty respectable. 2.90 GAA and .911 save percentage. I wouldn't mind him backing up Ward than Grahame or Leighton (unless Leighton learns to close that five-hole).

Actually, when you consider how bad the Kings are, LaBarbera's numbers are pretty respectable. 2.90 GAA and .911 save percentage. I wouldn't mind him backing up Ward than Grahame or Leighton (unless Leighton learns to close that five-hole).

Take my word for it, Caniacal: I've watched this guy play all but three or so games on TV since he debuted with the Kings two years ago, and he's much, much worse than his numbers. He's much slower and far less agile than Kolzig, even though he's about nine years younger than Olie the Goalie, and the Kings' defense has been shored up considerably during the last few weeks.

As a SoCal puck fan who sees nearly every game on TV -- Mr. GSBG and I just can't afford to go to games any more -- I can tell you that JLB's lucky to have a two-point-nine GAA. Very lucky. Indeed: If your number-one's GAA is two-point-nine or higher, your team probably isn't long for the postseason ... and it'll be lucky to finish tenth in your conference. :blink:

Jan/GSBG

Indeed: If your number-one's GAA is two-point-nine or higher, your team probably isn't long for the postseason ... and it'll be lucky to finish tenth in your conference. :blink:

Jan/GSBG

Ward's is 2.96. :mellow:

As for trades, I want to see more proposals. A response like "we won't trade Erik Cole" doesn't lend itself to discussion, whereas if you made a counter-offer that would acquire what we need without Cole being moved it would be much more interesting. Personally, I don't see any way this team can improve in other areas unless they move Cole.

I don't agree with trading Cole unless we get a real talent in return who could be steady on our D for years to come. One of this teams major problems is size and Cole just happens to be one of our bigger forwards. I believe the guy that should be moved is Whitney, he has great trade value at the momont and is very similar in playing style and size to Samsonov who we should be able to sign for less money. I also believe we should trade some of our UFA's(Stillman/Commodore) at the deadline for picks and prospects, something we are in short supply of.

If we are going to make any trades, it has to be some of our older players. Whether it is for this year or a building towards the future. First let me say that personally, I like all of these guys as human beings. Trades can not take that into account. Everyone on this board says that we have a deep group of forwards and no defense, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that we can't trade Kaberle for Crosby or Tanabe for Luongo. If you are going to get a top defenseman, you are going to have to give up a top player to do it. If we are going to keep our younger players, that leaves a few options.

Stillman-Older player at the end of his contract. One of the group of talented forwards. Could be great help to a contender.

Whitney-See Stillman but not at the end of a contract.

Walker-See Whitney.

Brindy-He's our Captain. I love the guy. Does he want to go to a team with a shot? I'd hate to move him, but if we are going for a younger team, he should still bring a good return on a trade. Is Staal ready for this?

Cole-Comes up in every trade scenario. Playing style makes him injury prone. Would be a great addition to many teams. He's still part of our young nucleus of players.

Commodore-Younger player. End of his contract. Comes up in every trade scenario. Part of a porous defense. I'm really not sure we get a big return other than a prospect since he is UFA at the end of the season.

Staal, Ladd, Williams, LaRose-Young group we need to build around. I know I'm forgetting someone because I'm doing this without looking at the roster. All of the guys are obviously not the same caliber, but they are our younger talent and too early to give up on (Ladd or LaRose).

Everybody else-lump them all together. Either too old or too average to bring a big return by themselves. These guys would be part of a package deal or a trade deadline deal for a prospect or pick to a team trying to fill a hole.

This team is at a crossroads. We had a bad season last year and basically went into this year with the same team. It isn't working out too well. Everyone knows the weaknesses so I will not touch on that other than we did nothing to shore them up in the off season. If we are going to play like we have been playing, I'd rather see some younger players doing it. At least then I could say "wait until next year".

I agree with most of what you said, superdave. I wouldn't include LaRose in the list of players to build around in the future. How many of our older forwards have no-trade-clauses? I believe Stillman has one and wouldn't be surprised if Walker and Whitney had one as well.

I agree with most of what you said, superdave. I wouldn't include LaRose in the list of players to build around in the future. How many of our older forwards have no-trade-clauses? I believe Stillman has one and wouldn't be surprised if Walker and Whitney had one as well.

Stillman does have an NTC, as does Walker. Not sure about Whitney, though.

A no trade clause can be waived by the player if he is going to a team he likes. It just gives them some control over where they might go. Management can get a player to sign for less money sometimes by giving a NTC. Some on this board have questioned why certain players have them. I know if I were a player, a NTC would be high on my list of things to bargain for. There is a lot of difference in living in Raleigh versus New York, LA, or many other cities. These guys have families.

All of that being said, an older player with a NTC may wish to have a chance with a Cup contender and waive the NTC.

recently read barret jackman (d-man) of the blues intends to test the market as a free-agent.

any thoughts?

While he does have youth on his side, he also has the worst +/- ratio on the Blues' roster (-14). Not an impressive statistic for a player that is considered a defensive defenseman.

While he does have youth on his side, he also has the worst +/- ratio on the Blues' roster (-14). Not an impressive statistic for a player that is considered a defensive defenseman.

Especially on a team that's considered a defensive team.

The Fourth Period says that Phil Kessel could potentially be acquired for a top-two defenseman. If the Hurricanes decide to look to the future, Kessel could be a very nice pick-up with Commodore headed the other way.

If we had to trade cole could get back Corvo and Vermette, that would be a good deal for us IMO. Also, seeing commie lately, and figuring he will ask for a big contract in the off-season, if we can trade him, it might be a good idea. Finally, I don't really have any interest in Liles coming here despite our PP woes and then having to pay him in the off-season when hes also coming off a poor year.

The Fourth Period says that Phil Kessel could potentially be acquired for a top-two defenseman. If the Hurricanes decide to look to the future, Kessel could be a very nice pick-up with Commodore headed the other way.

Commodore? Top-two defensman? LMAO..... I haven't laughed so much in a long long time... Thank you! You made my day.

The Bruins are not trading Kessel for Commodore, that would be laughable at best for them.

Well since the Canes don't currently have a Top 2 defenseman, I don't see us getting Kessel. And besides, offense isn't exactly what we need right now. Maybe in 2 years, but right now our need is defense.

Commodore? Top-two defensman? LMAO.....

Not only that but why in the world would Boston trade for a pending UFA especially if it costs a youngster like Kessle with a bright future? Management is still probably kicking itself for moving Boyes.

Commodore would be a piece of the deal. While I realize he wouldn't be a top-two defenseman on most teams in the NHL, he would be a solid addition to any team in the NHL. Why do you think most believe we won't be able to retain him in the offseason? It isn't because he is an overrated player on a terrible defense. We would need to add a prospect or draft pick to make the deal possible.

As for why Boston would want to move Kessel, don't ask me. All I now is what I read on The Fourth Period and what I've heard from a couple of Bruins' fans. They don't seem to think Kessel "fits" the style of hockey Boston wants to play. They feel he tries to score five-on-one too often and can be a little wreckless with the puck on his stick.

I just think it's more realistic to look at trades that will benefit the future of this team than to waste assets trying to save this season.

I believe the Canes should go hard after Campbell (sabres) and Green (caps), both are in the last year of their contract (assuming the sabres and caps allow them to hit the market this offseason)

There is 2 very good defensmen!! (possibly and hopefully available this offseason)

I believe the Canes should go hard after Campbell (sabres) and Green (caps), both are in the last year of their contract (assuming the sabres and caps allow them to hit the market this offseason)

There is 2 very good defensmen!! (possibly and hopefully available this offseason)

Campbell would cost too much and Green's an RFA, meaning that any offer we throw towards him can (and probably will) be matched by the Capitals.

Campbell would cost too much and Green's an RFA, meaning that any offer we throw towards him can (and probably will) be matched by the Capitals.

And what does that mean...we shouldn't try? You still should try to bring in/acquire these guys! If you don't try, then you give yourself 0% chance of getting them!

Even if you can get just 1 of these guys, it would be a huge boost for the Hurricanes!

I would offer Green 3.5 million a year (5 year contract) see if the caps match that!?! (Remember they gave a ton of money to Ovechkin and their ticket sales to games have been near rock bottom in comparison with the rest of the league, they also have a lot of other FAs they have to worry about losing this offseason)