The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfer

What bothers me about Staal

I'm sorry, but I would rather Staaly score than pass it to a winger who could possibly not score. Everyone complained about his lack of scoring before but now we are complaining that he is scoring too much?? :huh:

I'm sorry, but I would rather Staaly score than pass it to a winger who could possibly not score. Everyone complained about his lack of scoring before but now we are complaining that he is scoring too much?? :huh:

Re-read my post. I'm not complaining he's scoring too much. He isn't assisting others for some reason. That is a primary role for a Center.

Re-read my post. I'm not complaining he's scoring too much. He isn't assisting others for some reason. That is a primary role for a Center.

Assists come from goals. It means that the passes he's making aren't finding their way to the back of the net.

I think we should be more concerned with other issues right now than Staal having more goals than assist. I'll take a goal from anyone that can score no matter what position they play.

Yeah, have you seen Ward lately? Hasn't scored a goal in his entire career. Slacker. ;)

Erik Cole shooting percentage:

05-06: 18.3

06-07: 17.5

07-08: 7.8

If Cole was shooting at the percentage he was in the previous two seasons, he'd have 25 goals already (instead of 11) and I'd imagine Staal would have assisted on a few of them. Blame Cole for not converting on his chances, not Staal for failing to set his wingers up. 7.8% is pathetic.

A lot of Staal's goals have come from being right in front of the net with him tipping it in, or getting a rebound and knocking it in. He does try/fail to deke the other defense out a little too much (boy he is bad at deking i dont think ive ever seen him get by someone) but he has never been paired with a great set of scoring wingers.

I honestly think this is the stupidest thread ever...

saying that eric is scoring more than assisting?

he makes passes to his teammates A LOT and his teammates pass back to him

and if he has the shot, hes not going to give it to another teammate, hes going to shoot it

hes always infront of the net for deflecting it into the goal

and im proud of staals play lately, hes doing amazing, so no, hes not selfish..he just has the open shot

Staal has picked up his game since late Dec 2007. I'm satisfied with his play lately, but one thing bothers me....

He has more goals than assists this season.

While the goals are welcomed, part of his job is to feed the wingers. His passing skills are good, but where are the goals from the wingers? To me, assists are a true measure of a Center. Look at the top point getters among Centers, and you'll see what an odd stat this is. His "breakout" 100 point season had better balance, albeit with 40+ goals.

I don't believe he is selfish, but would love to hear comments that explain this. Too many Lavi line switches? Injuries (Cole, Ladd)? Play styles that don't mesh?

He's not getting the assits because his linemates are either hitting the freakin posts or going wide. Majority of the season he's played with Stillman/Cole. Stillman is more of a playmaker than goal scorer. Cole is the goal scorer but he likes to hit the posts. A couple games he's also had LaRose on his wing. Well LaRose is no finisher. Now he's playing with Whitney and Stillman who are both more playmakers than goal scorers. This is why Staal's assits are down.

Has Staal ever really been a playmaker though? The last 2 seasons hasn't seen a huge discrepancy between his goals and assists. The guy is a natural goal scorer, and we have good playmaking wingers who can rack up the assists instead... Whitney, and stillman, one of the two usually play with Staal. Although a center usually should be a pretty good playmaker, I can live with the fact that Staal is more of a goal scorer and not much of a playmaker.

Staal has picked up his game since late Dec 2007. I'm satisfied with his play lately, but one thing bothers me....

He has more goals than assists this season.

While the goals are welcomed, part of his job is to feed the wingers. His passing skills are good, but where are the goals from the wingers? To me, assists are a true measure of a Center. Look at the top point getters among Centers, and you'll see what an odd stat this is. His "breakout" 100 point season had better balance, albeit with 40+ goals.

I don't believe he is selfish, but would love to hear comments that explain this. Too many Lavi line switches? Injuries (Cole, Ladd)? Play styles that don't mesh?

Cole and Ladd are not even his primary line mates so I'm not sure where they really come in with this. Look at the play of Stillman and Whitney lately. Less than stellar at best. Maybe if they could find a way to put pucks in the back of the net, Staal would get some assists. In my opinion, Whitney needs to be moved to Brind'Amour's line and Cole needs to come down to Staal's line. Move Stillman to the 3rd line and give someone else a chance also.

Cole and Ladd are not even his primary line mates so I'm not sure where they really come in with this. Look at the play of Stillman and Whitney lately. Less than stellar at best. Maybe if they could find a way to put pucks in the back of the net, Staal would get some assists. In my opinion, Whitney needs to be moved to Brind'Amour's line and Cole needs to come down to Staal's line. Move Stillman to the 3rd line and give someone else a chance also.

Stillman has been in the third line the last two games.

Stillman has been in the third line the last two games.

Cole has been on Staal's right wing all year up until January when he got moved to play with Brind'Amour and Samsonov so that's where Cole comes in.

I have no complaints about Staal, even though earlier I was very critical of his play. He has proven me wrong and I will gladly eat crow if he continues his current level of play. As for the selfish issue, maybe he is a little selfish, but maybe that is what is needed. I have seen a number of Canes pass up what looked good scoring chances for the extra pass. Maybe if a few more players displayes the same kind of selfishness, things would be different.

I have no complaints about Staal, even though earlier I was very critical of his play. He has proven me wrong and I will gladly eat crow if he continues his current level of play. As for the selfish issue, maybe he is a little selfish, but maybe that is what is needed. I have seen a number of Canes pass up what looked good scoring chances for the extra pass. Maybe if a few more players displayes the same kind of selfishness, things would be different.

Staal has also made me eat my words, as he has significantly picked up his play in the last month from where he was before that. We have also heard good things about Staal behind the scenes and the leaderships traits he shows. However, as Staal has stepped up, it seems like some of the older guys have lost a step. As always, we need everyone to show up for 60 minutes to win consistently.

You've got to be kidding me - what else can you people find to complain about the Canes? Give me a break. Be a fan. Cheer your team on, and quit complaining.

Firstly, this isn't a complaint. It is an observation. I'm clearly stating that Staal has played well recently, yet looking to explain a very unusual upside down statistic. Yes, that statistic is unfavorable in my opinion, as I believe a true center sets up the wingers.

I won't get into the definition of a fan, and won't challange your fandom :)

Take some time and look at the stats for the top 30 scorers playing center. Now do that for the previous 2 years and you'll see what an usual stat this is.

Yes, it bothers ME since it's my opinion of a center. For that position, having more assists than goals is clearly the norm, and even desirable for some.

..... As for the selfish issue, maybe he is a little selfish, but maybe that is what is needed. I have seen a number of Canes pass up what looked good scoring chances for the extra pass. Maybe if a few more players displayes the same kind of selfishness, things would be different.

My post clearly says I don't believe he is selfish, so I doubt you're referring to the opening. Maybe you're right and the wingers should shoot more (I don't consider that selfish, but more of a job responsibility).

Has Staal ever really been a playmaker though? The last 2 seasons hasn't seen a huge discrepancy between his goals and assists. The guy is a natural goal scorer, and we have good playmaking wingers who can rack up the assists instead... Whitney, and stillman, one of the two usually play with Staal. Although a center usually should be a pretty good playmaker, I can live with the fact that Staal is more of a goal scorer and not much of a playmaker.

I believe that Staal's passing is as precise as his shooting. Recently he has dished the puck well, but the assists just aren't there. That is what puzzles me.

I believe that Staal's passing is as precise as his shooting. Recently he has dished the puck well, but the assists just aren't there. That is what puzzles me.

Then, it's like I said before. Whoever he's passing to isn't scoring.