The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfer

What bothers me about Staal

I believe that Staal's passing is as precise as his shooting. Recently he has dished the puck well, but the assists just aren't there. That is what puzzles me.

This and the whole thread doesn't make sense. No offense. What do you want Staal to do? He can't force his teammates to find the back of the net. If he passes the puck to a winger and they miss the net, how can you fault Staal for that? You can't. Hence why saying he should be getting more assits, is kind of pointless. If Staal isn't racking up the assits, well that ain't his fault, its the wingers that aren't finding the net when he's passing to them.

This and the whole thread doesn't make sense. No offense. What do you want Staal to do? He can't force his teammates to find the back of the net. If he passes the puck to a winger and they miss the net, how can you fault Staal for that? You can't. Hence why saying he should be getting more assits, is kind of pointless. If Staal isn't racking up the assits, well that ain't his fault, its the wingers that aren't finding the net when he's passing to them.

Precisely, his stats don't make sense. They are upside down and his skills are good. Maybe I should have titled it What bothers me about Staal's stats. Hence I asked the open ended question? Is it the changing line mates, etc.?

Something doesn't add up to the norm (more assists than goals). Maybe he needs less "playmaker" type wings and more gunners on his line.

Firstly, this isn't a complaint. It is an observation. I'm clearly stating that Staal has played well recently, yet looking to explain a very unusual upside down statistic. Yes, that statistic is unfavorable in my opinion, as I believe a true center sets up the wingers.

Well Eric has had so many different wingers, its not that easy adjusting

And you know what, Eric Staal isnt your Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, and he doesnt need to have the stats like them

Eric's unique in his own way, and hes got a gift for shooting..and thats why he has 27 goals this season

and i say, Keep them coming Staalsy :)

Crosby has 20g and 43a and +15

Yeah, that's the point. For some reason, Staal doesn't have more assists than goals, which is the norm for a center. However, it's got more to do with his winger's ability to finish than Staal's abilities.

To be perfectly fair, I have never really thought of Eric as much of a center. He'd be a much better winger, he's just not strong on the wall or on draws.

I dont know what his stats are but he seems to winning his fair share of face offs lately, and he's become much stronger along the boards. Not saying hes in Sids league but he has shown big strides in development.

To be perfectly fair, I have never really thought of Eric as much of a center. He'd be a much better winger, he's just not strong on the wall or on draws.

I dont know what his stats are but he seems to winning his fair share of face offs lately, and he's become much stronger along the boards. Not saying hes in Sids league but he has shown big strides in development.

Yeah, that's the point. For some reason, Staal doesn't have more assists than goals, which is the norm for a center. However, it's got more to do with his winger's ability to finish than Staal's abilities.
Reminds me just a little bit of Ron Francis' last season. I thought Ron was a beast at feeding the pucks that season, but no one could finish on that team (I think we finished last in the league in goals). It was sad to watch Ron go on there night after night and not get the rewarded assist and, as a result, his incredible record of 22 straight 50+ point seasons came to an end. Seems the same with Staal this year; Cole, in particular, is not finishing on Staal's feeds.

They are upside down and his skills are good. Maybe I should have titled it What bothers me about Staal's stats. Hence I asked the open ended question? Is it the changing line mates, etc.?

Something doesn't add up to the norm (more assists than goals). Maybe he needs less "playmaker" type wings and more gunners on his line.

I actually think this an excellent, but very subtle, point you've made.

A franchise center should make those players around him better and that is usually reflected in his assist totals. I don't buy into the Cole isn't finishing argument b/c the other guy who has been his linemate for most of the year, Stillman, is finishing at a very high rate.

What it comes down to is that he doesn't have the moves to consistently draw defenders to him that leave teammates with high quality scoring chances and he doesn't have the superb vision like a Thornton or Savard, neither of who plays with elite scoring wings.

Staal is like a shoot-first point guard and defenses know it. They play him for the shot instead of the pass and if he could improve his passing (he is nowhere near Brindy or even wings like Whitney and Stillman) it will open up more scoring chances for him. As a result, he rarely gets shots from the slot area where he either scored frequently in prior years or got redirects or put-backs from wingers down low that resulted in assists for him. Nobody consistently plants themselves down low and without any open ice from stretch passes to Staal he does much of his scoring down low which doesn't lend itself to many put-back assists.

In an odd sense, I think his inverted stats are a product of what he lacks as a pure playmaker and the team lacks in terms of outlet passing and a presence in the crease.

As far as Staal - He was lacking in the first half but has stepped up and is hitting harder. He is trying to make passes but his primary objective is to score! If he isn't scoring, people get upset.

As far as Cole - Cole is no longer a 'drive to the net' winger. He tried that earlier and had to be rolled off the ice. He is working on trying to maneuver around the defense now and honestly, he tries to go between their feet and jump around them to much! He needs more plans of attack.

The bottom line with me is SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT! Rebounds are plentiful if you have someone charge the goal. We try to get TOO fancy with the puck sometimes and hurts us. If there is an open lane...shoot! Our centers and wingers need to start crashing the net more and stop lagging behind expecting a pass.

Just my .02~

Bingo. Staal makes pretty passes just as easily as he makes pretty goals. It's up to his teammates to finish in order for him to get those assists.

Can we close this thread now?

If Staal gets 1 assist tonight vs Nashville, then it should be closed. However, if he gets more goals than assists it should remain open until a game when his assists exceed his goals.

If Staal gets 1 assist tonight vs Nashville, then it should be closed. However, if he gets more goals than assists it should remain open until a game when his assists exceed his goals.

Ok, Staal gets the assist and its closed, per the thread starter :)

But Staal DIDN'T get an assist nor a goal and neither did anyone else on the team and the 'Canes lose - again. Sounds like a whole 'nother thread entirely!!!