The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfer

What bothers me about Staal

Last 5 games, Stiller 2 assists, Whitney 4 assists, Staal no assists, but 1 goal. He's really filling it up! Since, Stiller and Whitney have zero goals, they're clearly the reason Staal has no assists in the minds of some.

Consider this, if imaginable: Maybe they're not being fed instead of they're too busy doing the feeding.

Again, assists come from goals. Even a harmless pass can become an assist if the person who gets the puck puts it in the net. So, if goals aren't being scored, Staal's not getting assists.

Again, assists come from goals. Even a harmless pass can become an assist if the person who gets the puck puts it in the net. So, if goals aren't being scored, Staal's not getting assists.

I think we're just wired differently. I put a high value on assists, particularly from a center. Sounds like its all about goals for you, where assists are more circumstance.

I think we're just wired differently. I put a high value on assists, particularly from a center. Sounds like its all about goals for you, where assists are more circumstance.

I guess so. I just don't see how you can complain about Staal's play just because he scores more than he passes.

He's not complaining, as he has stated many times. He's got a point that most star centers will have assists that outweigh their goals. Most star centers can win faceoffs, too.

Assists and goals aren't as important as total points. I couldn't care any less about whether Staal has more goals than assists, as long as he has a lot of points, which Staal has 48 of.

The only thing i will say about this and i am a Staal supporter is that other teams big names always seem to step up and score when its needed.I know Eric is still very young but i theink he needs to put this team on his back like Crosby,AO,Kovalchuk(sp?) to name a few.If they can do it on teams that are in the same boat as we are then He should be able to as well.Just a little food for thought!!

The only thing i will say about this and i am a Staal supporter is that other teams big names always seem to step up and score when its needed.I know Eric is still very young but i theink he needs to put this team on his back like Crosby,AO,Kovalchuk(sp?) to name a few.If they can do it on teams that are in the same boat as we are then He should be able to as well.Just a little food for thought!!

AMEN but there are people on here that will bash every player on this team about playing bad but when it comes to Staal its never him that plays bad it's the people around him holding him back.

Staal is still my favorite player. I believe he will get back ontop of his game soon. Hopefully it will be tonight. Because the last 4 games he is scoreless, the previous 5 games before that he was 4 goals and 3 assist.

My offer stands for tonight (again). If Staal gets an assist, then the Mods can close this thread. Even if he scores more goals than assists, any points tonight will do after being shutout.

That should put us all on the same page for game time.....

Staal's play tonight is my kind of guy. Full complete game. He doesn't seem to worry as much about being a star as we worry about him being one. My kind of player.

He played well, and was a big part of keeping the Caps to only one goal. The type of thing not on the scoresheet, but noticed in the locker room. No problem with no points with the game he played.

There's nothing wrong with Eric Staal that 30 more pounds couldn't cure.

Indeed. Once he fills out, he'll be a player feared both because of his scoring prowess and because of his size. You're not going to want to be nailed by a 6'4" 230lb Staal.

AMEN but there are people on here that will bash every player on this team about playing bad but when it comes to Staal its never him that plays bad it's the people around him holding him back.

We have an overpaid veteran with 23+ pointless games making bonehead plays every week. ACCOUNTABILITY is what this team lacks and Staal is one of the few who has been accountable this season. Assist/Goals? *edit*!

The question is will Staal ever get another point? I have him in my hockey pool and he is killing me. I also have Stastny in my pool and when he got injured Staal had four less points , now Staal has two less points as Stastny is getting ready to return. Not sure how many games Stastny has been out but it must have been around ten. I mean come on , we are paying this guy more money per year than I will make in a lifetime. Put the puck in the net already.

The question is will Staal ever get another point? .....

....and will I ever ask the mods to close this thread? Not until then at the earliest. I may start a new one about +/- at that point.

....and will I ever ask the mods to close this thread? Not until then at the earliest. I may start a new one about +/- at that point.

It's funny how Staal was lambasted here for his 70 point season last year. He is tracking for another 70 point season but actually doing less this year to make his wingers better, as measured by assists:goals, yet some of the same people think the point is meaningless. :unsure: If he could generate more than the relatively modest 21 assists and still score goals at the same pace, that could be a couple more wins. It's not fair to pin all the blame on Staal but it is fair to discuss an oddity that has other implications.

For what it's worth, he has now dropped to 47th place in terms of centers' assist totals and remains the only one with an inverted ration in the top 50 center assist leaders. You actually don't see another inversion until Jeff Carter at #72.

For the record, he's at a -10 now. The only players with a worse +/- ratio are Kaberle (-11), Wallin (-15), and Letowski (-15).

Haha the stats don't lie. but remember its not staal's fault it's the other people.

For the record, he's at a -10 now. The only players with a worse +/- ratio are Kaberle (-11), Wallin (-15), and Letowski (-15).

Now take a broader look at nhl.com....

Out of 795 players listed, he is at 737 in the +/- column. Yikes!