The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfer

What bothers me about Staal

Now take a broader look at nhl.com....

Out of 795 players listed, he is at 737 in the +/- column. Yikes!

I feel some of the +/- is a matter of situation and out of a players control. But 737 out of 795 there is no excuse for that and takes effort to get that low.

I feel some of the +/- is a matter of situation and out of a players control....

Then it should not consistently impact any single player, and nets out for all, right? I think it is meaningful, and a stat that players themselves care about.

Then it should not consistently impact any single player, and nets out for all, right? I think it is meaningful, and a stat that players themselves care about.

Not sure what you mean but Staal is playing like a -10 and you can see it in his play. I hope they would be worried about it.

What is this thread all about? Seriously, Staal has been one of our only players who has been trying to bring it on a nightly basis and it shows. He busts his *edit* out there on a nightly basis trying to scrum for pucks and trying to do everything he can. Unfortunately, he can't do everything and his linemates can't do ANYTHING. The opposition only has to shut him down and they shut down his line. Cole and Whitney have been nonexistent this year. They have to pick it up for Staal to be effective and they haven't done anything. He can't be the only one trying...

In times like these, the +/- stats for him are completely worthless because it doesn't show how he's been doing, it shows how his linemates have been letting him down.

What is this thread all about? Seriously, Staal has been one of our only players who has been trying to bring it on a nightly basis and it shows. He busts his *edit* out there on a nightly basis trying to scrum for pucks and trying to do everything he can. Unfortunately, he can't do everything and his linemates can't do ANYTHING. The opposition only has to shut him down and they shut down his line. Cole and Whitney have been nonexistent this year. They have to pick it up for Staal to be effective and they haven't done anything. He can't be the only one trying...

In times like these, the +/- stats for him are completely worthless because it doesn't show how he's been doing, it shows how his linemates have been letting him down.

Come on when is staal going to be held to the same standard as the other players. He is being treated like the favorite son it's never his fault always sombody elses. Since the All Star game he has done nothing not one point. Time to take the rose colored glasses off.

This is what it is about: Facts.

Unlike those that want to sugar coat his play, I won't. The facts are a center is a playmaker for the most part, and he is unique in his lack of assists. Pair that with a dreadful +/- and the fact that as a center he has 3 assists in the last 15 games and you get a clearer picture.

He was absent earlier this year, and only picked up his play in late December. Since the "MVP" win he's scoreless. Ask your self why? Well, they don't body check in All Star games.

When has Staal ever been labelled as a "playmaker"? Last time I checked, he was considered a "power forward". Stillman's the playmaker on that line.

Maybe we should move him to wing and get a center. Or we can accomodate him as the marque name and watch 3 individuals skate independently instead of as a unit.

Look, the elite players in the league make the others around them even better. Look at Tampa and Vinnie, or Crosby, or Spezza. I don't think he's in their league, notwithstanding the Canes and League marketing.

Maybe we should move him to wing and get a center. Or we can accomodate him as the marque name and watch 3 individuals skate independently instead of as a unit.

Look, the elite players in the league make the others around them even better. Look at Tampa and Vinnie, or Crosby, or Spezza. I don't think he's in their league, notwithstanding the Canes and League marketing.

Last time I checked, Vinnie had St. Louis and Richards, Spezza had Alfie and Heatley, etc.

If it was all about the centers making other players better, then Spezza's (and subsequently Ottawa's) play wouldn't have decreased when Heatley and Alfie were injured. The linemates that a center has plays an important part as well.

Come on when is staal going to be held to the same standard as the other players. He is being treated like the favorite son it's never his fault always sombody elses. Since the All Star game he has done nothing not one point. Time to take the rose colored glasses off.

So you expect Staal to do everything himself?

When you have the other team focusing on stopping you, you need your linemates to make up for it to help you out. When the defense is smothering you because you're the only one for the Canes on the ice who can actually do something, you're numbers are going to suck.

You want Staal held to the same standard as everyone else? Fine, DECREASE your expectations of him. In fact, you people hold him to a much higher standard as everyone else and expect way too much of him. How bout some blame being put onto his linemates for not helping him out... He can't do everything himself, he needs the help and he's not getting it.

Last time I checked, Vinnie had St. Louis and Richards, Spezza had Alfie and Heatley, etc.

If it was all about the centers making other players better, then Spezza's (and subsequently Ottawa's) play wouldn't have decreased when Heatley and Alfie were injured. The linemates that a center has plays an important part as well.

Good point about Spezza, but he was still producing at a lower rate without Alfi and Heatley. I just don't see how Staal's lack of production is being put on his linemates. We can call it a collective breakdown, but I'm not buying the causal effect of them on Staal.

Whitney is the team's top scorer, Stillman the team's leader in Shooting % (despite your playmaker label). Cole has been paired with Staal, where some have called Cole the league's best "power forward" recently. So if they all fail, then we need an overhaul.

I haven't seen one winger join Staal where a chemistry developed into tandem or unit play lately. In contrast, Brindy gets Samsonov and they click. Oh, right - Brindy is a Center.

He doesn't need anything. He needs to look in the mirror.

OK so you're just going to rip into Staal for his play because he's playing a legitimate 3 on 1 most nights where he's the one being focused on...

Interesting... I bet you also scream at WRs on TV when they're not producing because they are constantly in double or triple coverage. Sorry, your criticisms make no sense because the man IS giving it his all every night. He needs more help than the nonexistent play he's getting from his wingers. It is not acceptable that they sit around and loaf because they expect Eric to do everything himself. They need accountability as well, and thats something you have consistently shyed away from.

Sorry, long before you start criticizing Staal's play, you need to check to see how his linemates are performing. You can look at the stats all you want, but thats all they are, stats. Any idiot can look at the stats and make decisions based on that. You need to take everything into account when lashing out at players like this thread is, and for the most part, that is something that is blatantly lacking.

Good point about Spezza, but he was still producing at a lower rate without Alfi and Heatley. I just don't see how Staal's lack of production is being put on his linemates. We can call it a collective breakdown, but I'm not buying the causal effect of them on Staal.

Whitney is the team's top scorer, Stillman the team's leader in Shooting % (despite your playmaker label). Cole has been paired with Staal, where some have called Cole the league's best "power forward" recently. So if they all fail, then we need an overhaul.

I haven't seen one winger join Staal where a chemistry developed into tandem or unit play lately. In contrast, Brindy gets Samsonov and they click. Oh, right - Brindy is a Center.

Whitney and Stillman were typically Staal's linemates. And those 3 players lead the team in goals. What, exactly, do you want again?

...Sorry, your criticisms make no sense because the man IS giving it his all every night. ...

Our definition of giving it all differs. I'm not seeing it, and do take everything into account.

I've forgotten more hockey than most posters on this thread know. I played the game through my teens and know what a center's responsibility is. I don't like what I see, and the stats simply bear that out.

Whitney and Stillman were typically Staal's linemates. And those 3 players lead the team in goals. What, exactly, do you want again?

More than 3 assists in 15 games. More than 0 in the last 6 games. We need some goals, and by Tuesday.....

And its no surprise that Staal's numbers have declined ever since those 2 completely vanished from the productive lineup. We expect those 2 to be consistent contributors to this team, but all they do anymore is pass the puck to Staal and hope he can do everything on his own. I have seen neither crash the net or help out Eric on the fast break in weeks. It just doesn't happen anymore.

But hey, lets blame Staal because they don't bring it every game. I mean, he is the easy target, so lets go after him...

Our definition of giving it all differs. I'm not seeing it, and do take everything into account.

I've forgotten more hockey than most posters on this thread know. I played the game through my teens and know what a center's responsibility is. I don't like what I see, and the stats simply bear that out.

No, you don't

you just look at the stats sheet, see Eric's declining +/-, see his points total leveling off, and just freak out and come here whining your head off because he isn't producing anymore putting the blame of the team's play on his shoulders. Sorry, you can't just look at the scoresheet and make those assumptions, and thats all they are, assumptions.

Anyone who has actually been watching the games recently has been seeing Eric skating his head off trying to do everything he can to make this team better, but its just not happening. And the reason it is just not happening is that when he's on the ice, he's the ONLY player in a Canes logo who is actually trying anymore.

More than 3 assists in 15 games. More than 0 in the last 6 games. We need some goals, and by Tuesday.....

Last time I checked, the team as a whole has had trouble scoring lately. 4 goals in 4 games isn't going to cut it. And really, it's only our 3rd line that has been producing lately. Ladd, Walker, and Aucoin make up the majority of goals in our last 5 games.

...you just look at the stats sheet, see Eric's declining +/-, see his points total leveling off, and just freak out and come here whining your head off because he isn't producing anymore putting the blame of the team's play on his shoulders. Sorry, you can't just look at the scoresheet and make those assumptions, and thats all they are, assumptions.

Anyone who has actually been watching the games recently has been seeing Eric skating his head off trying to do everything he can to make this team better, but its just not happening. And the reason it is just not happening is that when he's on the ice, he's the ONLY player in a Canes logo who is actually trying anymore.

Look, you don't know anything about me so don't make any assumptions about me, my hockey viewing, etc. - PERIOD!

I'm SEEING the same things you are, but we have different opinions. My definition of "skating his head off" isn't what I'm seeing. I can honestly say he's not doing that as a two way player and playmaker in MY opinion.

So you expect Staal to do everything himself?

When you have the other team focusing on stopping you, you need your linemates to make up for it to help you out. When the defense is smothering you because you're the only one for the Canes on the ice who can actually do something, you're numbers are going to suck.

You want Staal held to the same standard as everyone else? Fine, DECREASE your expectations of him. In fact, you people hold him to a much higher standard as everyone else and expect way too much of him. How bout some blame being put onto his linemates for not helping him out... He can't do everything himself, he needs the help and he's not getting it.

DECREASE my expectations of him are you serious? The man has not even scored a point since the all star break if i can't expect him to score a goal or assist in one those games since winning the MVP what in the world are we paying him for.

No, you don't

you just look at the stats sheet, see Eric's declining +/-, see his points total leveling off, and just freak out and come here whining your head off because he isn't producing anymore putting the blame of the team's play on his shoulders. Sorry, you can't just look at the scoresheet and make those assumptions, and thats all they are, assumptions.

Really what games are you watching. reruns of the cup season

....Anyone who has actually been watching the games ..

Just noticed your in Blacksburg. Let me ask you a question, as a STH, how many games have you been to this year? Hopefully all of them. There is plenty going on away from the camera, and its easy to see who's busting it.