The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 2/9-Devils

hahahhahha touche'! i think thats it in a nutshell

Unfortunately. Probably why we have one of the worst farm systems in the league. If we end up in 9th-10th every year, we miss the playoffs and are far too high to get a good pick.

The one thing i don't like is when they say we can't pull him,,it will shake his confidence,,,the heck with that,these guys are pro's not kids,if they aren't playing well yank them and maybe that will get their attention.I believe that is better than leaving them in there when they are playing poorly.The last thing ANY athlete wants to have happen to them is being pulled out and sat down.Athlete's want to play and win not sit!!A true athlete will lose more confidence sitting the bench than being pulled from a game that he is playing poorly in, or one that his team-mates are hanging him out to dry! That being said Cam should have not started the 2nd period.He wasn't on his game and neither was the rest of the team but you can't pull the rest of the team but you can pull the goalie!!!

And that quote about the song is perfect^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well this morning was the first opportunity I had to discuss this when I didn't think I would be sick to my stomach after that performance. Sorry for the multi quotes but here goes...

Was Cam awful or was it a complete breakdown?

Yes... Cam let in some a Pee Wee could have stopped Waayyyyyyy slow on his movement and way too far back in the crease again. Dmen set some really nice screens for him too...Nough said

So Im guessing that the "iamfirehazrd orange jersey award" goes to....the entire defense?

And a couple of forwards... Johnny O goal he skated between 4 Canes to get there and slam it in on Cam.

The Canes ran into a team with like circumstances. I had the New Jersey feed. They pretty much spent the first period talking about the Devils woes, inconsistency, slow starts and a lack of production from the defense corps. They talked about team meetings, the coach motivating the team, the players self motivating themselves and a team about to reach a boiling point.

Maybe we should have some of those.

I'm not making excuses for the Canes but this new NHL, a league I have to get used to myself, is full of parity. The Devils are in a dog fight too and blew a couple of games recently. The Canes spent IMO a lot of energy last night with a solid effort in Washington. Those two things plus a couple of early Devil goals, one with a lucky bounce, unfortunately ended the night early.

Does anyone have a stat on the percentage of teams winning both of their back to back games?

You do realize that the Devils played the defending SC champs the night before and in my opinion played against much tougher defensive competition... Back to back can be used sometime but not this time. We played, they played, they played again, we didn't.

Again, confidence is great and all, but letting in 2 more goals and then getting pulled isn't exactly a confidence builder either. If Cam can't handle getting pulled after a horrible performance, he needs to man up and realize he's a professional goaltender now.

Absolutely!!!!!! In either case... The team isn't playing in front or the goalie just isnt on his game he should have been out after the 1rst period. Cam is a big boy now and if his confidence is that fragile he needs to get over it. He is a SC winning goalie and a Conn Smythe winnner... I give him a pass occasionally for the physical ( being out of position) part of the game because he is still only 24 or so, but the mental part he should get by now.

I was shocked to see Cam starting tonight. I thought Graham would have been in goal. If management doesn't have enough confidence in Graham to start him on back to back situations, they should have kept Leighton up. We can not rely on one goalie to play every minute for the rest of the season. All of the good vibes Cam may have gotten over the last few games may have been wasted last night.

Starting Johnny would have given him a chance to get some action and also may have sparked the team to play a little harder in the middle of a long road swing. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I said this same thing to my daughter last night when I saw Cam in goal at the beginning of the game. I know Graham is despised by many around here, but the losses he was in goal for earlier in the season weren't all his fault. The team knows that and may have been inspired to try to get him a win. Cam can't carry the whole load the rest of the season, the backup has to play on back to backs. Graham or Leighton, someone has to help.

Ward was off last night, but it was truly a team effort. Not just the D, but forwards not coming back. There was one great camera shot from behind where the Devils scored during a 2 on 1. You see the forwards just strolling back, where the puck was held awhile and some busting it back checking would have helped. Too many breakdowns to call out names on just that one.

Who were on defense when Johnny O skated down the middle,,i think Wallin was one,was Kabs the other d man at that time? I guess it whomever it was we need to run a wire between the 2 of them so we can hang a RED LIGHT there,maybe that will stop them from walking in on Cam.

Who were on defense when Johnny O skated down the middle,,i think Wallin was one,was Kabs the other d man at that time? I guess it whomever it was we need to run a wire between the 2 of them so we can hang a RED LIGHT there,maybe that will stop them from walking in on Cam.

Commie! Not you, the answer to your question :)

If it was Kaberle and Wallin, Im not suprised. That's a pairing of two of the weakest links on our d and I cant see why they're paired together. Wallin's play has been more costly than tough lately, and although Frank has become a little more proactive, his play is still suspect in most games. But that's only two players and from what everyone's said, Oduya went through four.

Edit: Looked it up. Letowski, Walker, Aucoin, Wallin and Commodore, Yikes.

If it was Kaberle and Wallin, Im not suprised. That's a pairing of two of the weakest links on our d and I cant see why they're paired together. Wallin's play has been more costly than tough lately, and although Frank has become a little more proactive, his play is still suspect in most games. But that's only two players and from what everyone's said, Oduya went through four.

IMHO...........

This loss sits on the coaching alone. Yeah, the guys didn't play well. 'Nuf said.

BUT....why in blazes are we not starting John on the back to back after Cam had a very draining game the night before. AT LEAST pull him after the first!!!.....and this is the second time since John was sent down that it has happened. Why have a second keeper if you don't use him in some rotation that makes sense.

During the first we needed a TO......if for no other reason than to reorganize some thinking. Why does St Peter keep his TO until AFTER we are deep in the hole. It was plain the guys were not on focus and that was the time to jerk a knot in some tails.

As a side note......last year we embarrassed Marty like 7-1(maybe worse) and chased him in the second period. Ever since, the Devs have played us tough and I think won most of the games. It's like the NJ coaching shows that game's highlights every time before they play the Canes.

If there was a stat, I'm willing to bet Carolina leads the NHL in allowing end-to-end goals scored by an opponent by skating through the D and score (e.g., Oduya, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Zerdev, etc.). I can't say for sure but it seem like Commodore is typically the one in the middle of it.

It is not about Crackers, it is about showing Cam you have confidence in him to shut the door. It is about showing Cam that it is not his fault for the most part.

Just about any coach in the NHL would pull his star goalie (or any goalie) after falling behind by four goals. You could tell Cam was frustrated, shellshocked, messed up and needed to come up - but he can't tell the coach "get me out of here". The coach has to be wise enough to do it without furthering the embarrasment.

To see so many people blaming Cam for this loss... I'm completely speechless... wow

Out of all the goals that were scored, I can blame him for 1... thats it, and thats the 5th or 6th goal that trickled between his legs, but by that point he should have been pulled from the game because it was over. Last night was all on the defense. They couldn't clear the zone, they screened Ward better than the Devils did, they took the stupid penalties that led to PP goals, and they did not help out at all in any phase of the game. As of now, there should be NO defender on this team who is untouchable come the deadline, and if you want my opinion, they all deserve to be either playing in Albany or kicked off the team completely after their performances the past season and a half. Its been pitiful.

Also, along with that. Brind'Amour has to get his head out of his rear end one of these days. Its like he's not even mentally in the games anymore. I can't count on one hand the amount of times he was caught and pokechecked from behind last night when he had open wingers while trying to gain the zone. He's slow, he's mentally not there, and he takes way too many dumb penalties because he just doesn't have it enough anymore to keep up with the game. Not exactly the best scenario for the leader of your team to have.

Aucoin's penalty had just expired. He couldn't get out and skate down there in 2 seconds. No way should Oduya be able to just skate down the middle of the ice and score. SOMEONE GET HIM. Jeesh.

I can't say for sure but it seem like Commodore is typically the one in the middle of it.

I didnt really get to see the game at all, but Commie was the missing Dman when we gave up the late 3 v 1 breakaway to the Preds. leaving Wesley all by himself.

You'd think after 3 years that Commie would be learning when to pinch and when not to.

And the understatement of the month award -- even though it's still early -- goes to the Canes Web writer, anonymous though he or she may be, who wrote today's headline:

Canes Struggle to Deal with Devils

YA THINK!!!????

The major problem is the D.

But: Where is Staal, Rod, Whitney, Stillman? The only guy, I'm serious, who really gives game to game is Samsonav and probably Cole.

Does Samsonov have 12 points in 14 games? Has Staal scored a point since the all-star game?

4 goals in 4 games. No goalie can take that pressure.

I wonder about their commentment to give all every night. Sure Canes can't play 3 solid periods every game (who in hockey really can?) but at least give a good effort.

And on the PP> Shoot the puck!! Pretty passes get picked off and cleared. OK I'm done.

But: Where is Staal, Rod, Whitney, Stillman? The only guy, I'm serious, who really gives game to game is Samsonav and probably Cole.

Does Samsonov have 12 points in 14 games? Has Staal scored a point since the all-star game?

4 goals in 4 games. No goalie can take that pressure.

I wonder about their commentment to give all every night. Sure Canes can't play 3 solid periods every game (who in hockey really can?) but at least give a good effort.

And on the PP> Shoot the puck!! Pretty passes get picked off and cleared. OK I'm done.

Thank you! I agree completly.

Here's the main reason for the bad game: 12 hits and 5 blocked shots

This team has to play with a physical edge. This is when they play good and dominate other teams. Cullen said it himself a couple weeks before, actually before the Rangers game: "we play better when we are physical". Look at the stats, when this team is physical and blocking shots 9 times out of 10 they get the win. Last night's play was horrible from all players except the 3rd and 4th lines.

Kudos to Hedican and Gleason for being a +1 last night. The ONLY defenseman to be a + while all others were in the minus. Personally I'm getting sick of Commodore's comments after every loss. Maybe if he actually played defense like he was supposed to the score woulnd't have been 5-1 just like that.

Cole decided he didn't need to play since he scored last night, so guess he'll go another 9 games w/o a goal. Brind'Amour was awful, turning the puck over twice on the same shift. Oy. Whitney, Stillman were invisible. Samsonov had spurts but when his 2 linemates sucked, not sure what else he could have done. Kudos to the 3rd and 4th lines for actually trying. Staal tried, but even he didn't have that good of a game.

As far as people complaining that Lavi should have started with Cam, Wrong. Cam has been great since the All Star break. He played awesome Friday night. No need to sit him out. Gotta ride the hot hand right. I was surprised to see Cam start the 2nd, but if he wanted to get back out there and try to regain his composure why not let him? He needs to learn to fight through these type of things. Babying him is not going to help. If he wants to work through it, you let him. The game was lost then anyway, the guys in front of him clearly didn't want to play tonight, so let the kid work through his problems.

Back on the defensive side of the puck trying to make up for all the defensive lapses that we have night in and night out.

And as for Cole giving it night in and night out... couldn't be further from the truth

Interesting situation with the goalies. On the one hand it is the obvious game to play the back up. On the other hand, Cam had been hot, with two stellar games in a row. Add a third and he could be on a serious run. Both teams were back to back, so it wasn't an clear loss. Obviously in retrospect a mistake. You wonder if the coach could say to Cam, "Normally we would rest you here, but you've been playing so well we're going to start you. If you get in trouble early though we'll bring Johnny in." Then do that.