The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Cane0777

Time for a change of pace and personel

I think Grahmne got called back up because he sucked in Albany and they wanted Leighten back.

And stop saying Lavi has made bad coaching decisions, cause lets face it, he hasn't had a lot to work with in the effort department.

Funny thing is, none of us know what these decisions are based on. Whether we agree with them or not, and as much as people think they know exactly what goes on with the coaching staff and the players, we have no idea why or how decisions are made.

I think Grahmne got called back up because he sucked in Albany and they wanted Leighten back.

And stop saying Lavi has made bad coaching decisions, cause lets face it, he hasn't had a lot to work with in the effort department.

Funny thing is, none of us know what these decisions are based on. Whether we agree with them or not, and as much as people think they know exactly what goes on with the coaching staff and the players, we have no idea why or how decisions are made.

Well, there's also the decision of when to use a timeout. Admittedly, I didn't watch the entire thing of the Devils game, but did Lavi ever call a timeout to try and set the team straight?

I agree TS that we don't have no idea how or why these decisions are made. But my point is JR and Lavi have to answer for those decisons at some point to Karmonas, the team and last the fans. All we can do is speculate, but lets face it they havn't exactly given us anything to go with as to why they make some of their decisions, so we are left here on the message boards doing what we know best---speculate. :P

At this point, the older players need to either retire or be kindly asked to leave. Build the team around Staal, Ladd, Ward, Gleason, and LaRose (heart and soul of this team, IMHO). Everyone else is fair game for a trade and just go from there.

Don't everyone be shocked, but I actually agree with MC on this part. We need to build our team around these players, but as long as we are in playoff position at the deadline, we should remain buyers, not sellers. I would also keep Brookbank. We need him here for the protection factor for our young skill players.

K~

The effort department had nothing to do with him playing Cam back to back and then not pulling him after the 1st period---that my dear was a poor coaching decision. John Forslund could not understand it last night, along with the rest of the hockey world.

Don't everyone be shocked, but I actually agree with MC on this part. We need to build our team around these players, but as long as we are in playoff position at the deadline, we should remain buyers, not sellers. I would also keep Brookbank. We need him here for the protection factor for our young skill players.

K~

I'm interested in why you would want to remain a buyer, when it's obvious that even if we make the playoffs, we wouldn't go far.

The effort department had nothing to do with him playing Cam back to back and then not pulling him after the 1st period---that my dear was a poor coaching decision. John Forslund could not understand it last night, along with the rest of the hockey world.

Eventhough I don't think coaching decision are the root of the problem, he shold not have even started Ward back to back in Jersey. Lavi was just asking for it!

Because once the playoffs come it's a whole new season.

That's debatable. Other than Edmonton a couple years ago, those that have dominted the regular season have dominated the playoffs.

That's debatable. Other than Edmonton a couple years ago, those that have dominted the regular season have dominated the playoffs.

Except for Ottowa, Buffalo, Detroit and San Jose.

Except for Ottowa, Buffalo, Detroit and San Jose.

? Ottawa was 4th in the conference in the regular season, and made it to the Finals. Buffalo was 1st in the conference in the regular season and made it to the ECF.

Sounds like a correlation there.

The best we could hope for would be sneaking into the 8th spot, or by some pure luck, win the division and still essentially end up in the 8th spot.

Last season, the 8th spot and the division leader were eliminated in the first round.

I've given it much thought and here is what I've got to say:

1) We need to trade Erik Cole. He is one dimensional (offense only) and in that one area he is not producing goals that warrant his $4 million dollar salary. He is the 3rd highest paid player on the team for the last 2 years and he hardly shows it. The league overestimates his value as he is a mediocre passer and despite the stage in his carrer nearly useless on the PK. His PP is only a little bit better. Trade him ASAP for a top 4 D-Man for our future!

2) Walin needs to be moved if he will allow the NTC to be lifted. He has played uninspired hockey now for 2 years. Maybe it is time for him to go play in his homeland as he considered 2 years ago. He should be our top "Defensive" defenseman - instead he would be a 5th or 6th Dman on more than half the NHL teams in the league this year if he were on their team. AGain get us some new blood and use him to get a new 4-6th Dman who is hungry.

3) Kabrele needs to go. No need to even say why. Him being our 2nd highest paid Dman still makes me want to vomitt everytime I think about it.

4) Hedican needs to retire next year. He has been a warrior but cant get in a full season anymore.

5) Resign Wesley. He is positionally by far our best Dman yet again this year at less than $1mill.

6) Commie has stopped developing here it would seem. If he stays it needs to be as our 5th or 6th Dman at best.

7) Keep Sieds. He has shown potential.

8) Trade Stiller now while he has value. I bet we can resign him here again this year after the summer if need be. Bring in a Dman.

9) Move Rod to 3rd line and drop his minutes to 17 nightly. Let him anchor the PK's and the needed faceoffs but our team is way more dynamic when a healthy Matt Cullen is centering that line.

10) Walker, Whitney, Williams, Staal, LaRose, Gleason, Cullen all need to remain Canes. The rest we can move on imo.

Other Thoughts:

Send Kab and Stiller or Kab and Cole to a team for 1 player. Move up Casey Borer for Kab's spot as he can pass very well, and move the lines up and bring in Nolan to the 3rd-4th line. See how Casey does this year so we will know next.

Consider paying a 1 or 2 year $3million dollar salary for an older Goalie to give Cam time to grow. Cam is our future, but he needs time. Maybe a dynosaur like the Dominator?

Under no circumstances do I see any bright side in the following for our future:

Erik Cole 3rd highest paid on team at $4mill. Offense only and at that he is limited.

Kabrele 2nd Highest paid Dman on our team. UGH

Hedican Highest paid Dman on our team that cant play full seasons anymore.

Personal changes are definately needed. However, there are no quick fixes and probably the best route for the Canes is to go the "rebuilding" route. That route can be painful and is fraught with losses. Are the Canes fans patient enough to let the rebuilding process work? I hope so, otherwise the future of NHL hockey in North Carolina is in jeopardy. I for one, would hate to see the Canes leave, playoff contender or not.

And how do you know that Cam didn't ask to stay in? Were you in the locker room? Fact is, no one knows. Lavi could have asked Cam if he wanted to sit since the team was hanging him out to dry and Cam said no. Point is no one knows what went on in that locker room. You can't sit here and say Lavi made a bad coaching decision when you have no clue what went on in that room.

It was pretty evident after the all star break that they were going to ride Cam. JR mentioned how they are going to rely on Cam to find his consistancy and be the #1 in multiple interviews on 99.1 and 850 the buzz.

Eventhough I don't think coaching decision are the root of the problem, he shold not have even started Ward back to back in Jersey. Lavi was just asking for it!

And as far as him playing back to back, why not? He has been outstanding since the all star break. Most coaches will ride the hot goalie. Brodeaur played Friday night and oh wait he was back in net Saturday night. Miller plays back to backs, Vokoun plays back to back etc. The next game isn't until Tuesday, plenty time for him to rest and get ready for the next game. If Lavi sat Cam Saturday night and played Grahame this place would have blown up with OMG why is Crackers playing Lavi has lost his mind. Fact is Cam has been great, you ride the hot goalie. And if you think Grahame would have fared any better in the first your mistaken. Its hard for a goalie to do his job when the 5 players in front of him are spectators instead of players.

And how do you know that Cam didn't ask to stay in? Were you in the locker room? Fact is, no one knows. Lavi could have asked Cam if he wanted to sit since the team was hanging him out to dry and Cam said no. Point is no one knows what went on in that locker room. You can't sit here and say Lavi made a bad coaching decision when you have no clue what went on in that room.

Wow I didn't know that a player could tell the coach "NO, I'm not leaving the game" in the locker room, sorry I guess I wasn't there---but I just thought that was the coach's decision-hmm, maybe thats just in Lavi's locker room, of course that wouldn't surprise me now about him anyway. Thanks for enlighting us on how Lavi probably asks the players if he can take them out of the game, maybe Letowski should try this too.

Well, it typically depends on how much confidence the coach has in the goaltender. Last year, when we played the Devils and put 4 past Brodeur, you could clearly see the Devils coach asking him if he wanted to stay out there during the timeout.

Of course, Brodeur smartly left the game and gave his team a chance.

Comparing Brodeur to Ward is like comparing apples to oranges. He deserves the respect from his coach with his history.

Never said Lavi made the right move keeping Ward out there, especially if he was just going to pull him a couple goals later, but I provided an example of when it's happened before. Like I said, depending on how much confidence the coach has in the goaltender, the goaltender can ask not to be pulled.

? Ottawa was 4th in the conference in the regular season, and made it to the Finals. Buffalo was 1st in the conference in the regular season and made it to the ECF.

Sounds like a correlation there.

The best we could hope for would be sneaking into the 8th spot, or by some pure luck, win the division and still essentially end up in the 8th spot.

Last season, the 8th spot and the division leader were eliminated in the first round.

I was just pointing out that these teams usually choke in the playoffs.

I agree with Onetimer above............go for a defenseman NOW. At least management and coaching can determine how much of an impact that single change makes. A puck moving defenseman just may jump start this team and give them all some confidence. Right now I think the offense spends more time than they should worrying about how they can help the defense.

Wow I didn't know that a player could tell the coach "NO, I'm not leaving the game" in the locker room, sorry I guess I wasn't there---but I just thought that was the coach's decision-hmm, maybe thats just in Lavi's locker room, of course that wouldn't surprise me now about him anyway. Thanks for enlighting us on how Lavi probably asks the players if he can take them out of the game, maybe Letowski should try this too.

Since you failed to read the rest I wrote, I will write it again: It is evidant that they are going to ride Cam till the very end. JR has eluded to this in his interviews with 99.9 and 850 the buzz. So yes, its possible Cam wanted to stay in and Lavi allowed him to regain his composure.

My point is that you have no idea what went on so you can't sit here and say Lavi is a bad coach for starting Ward in the 2nd.

You know, I said to my honey, "If Lavi's smart, he'll leave Wardo in and read the rest of the team the riot act."

Of course there's no way of knowing if that's what happened, but it's what NEEDED to. How we go from finishing EVERY hit 24 hours earlier to not even PRETENDING to in that game is two things: inexplicable and downright shameful. And if this group is not going to respond better than that, it's time to get some value for them while the getting's relatively good.

My only untouchables: Williams, Seidenberg, Walker, Wesley, Gleason, LaRose, Staal, and MAYBE Whitney. Not sure if his heart will stay in it without the likes of Stillman and Cole. Also I think Samsonov is a find and has earned another year here, but his history shows any long-term deal must be strongly tied to performance.