The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

A new role for the Captain?

You know you're thnking too much about hockey when, sleeping soundly, you suddenly sit bolt upright in bed, wide awake, thinking, "Eureka!!!" So here's the thought that woke me the other night:

Why the heck isn't our Selke award-winning Captain playing the point and QBing the PP??

Last year when seemingly everyone got a turn on the point, Brindy had his look there and it didn't work.

He makes the grade as a passer but doesn't have a good one-timer, isn't good enough keeping the puck in the zone (his hands haven't been good this year) and doesn't have the recovery speed to get back on a rush the other way.

What I did like about the PP last night though was that they finally - finally - rotated and at times played the umbrella formation that was so good in the Cup year playoffs. It's a bit risky but it allows Staal to creep down low and they compress the killer's box.

Last year when seemingly everyone got a turn on the point, Brindy had his look there and it didn't work.

He makes the grade as a passer but doesn't have a good one-timer, isn't good enough keeping the puck in the zone (his hands haven't been good this year) and doesn't have the recovery speed to get back on a rush the other way.

What I did like about the PP last night though was that they finally - finally - rotated and at times played the umbrella formation that was so good in the Cup year playoffs. It's a bit risky but it allows Staal to creep down low and they compress the killer's box.

I noticed that too. They also "flexed" the box from side to side to create shooting lanes. Also nice.

I don't remember Brindy on point last year (which at my age is not surprising!). Just seems like he'd be a natural. Even without the big slapper, his ability to see the whole zone might settle us down. We would need a speedster on the other point, though.

I noticed that too. They also "flexed" the box from side to side to create shooting lanes. Also nice.

I don't remember Brindy on point last year (which at my age is not surprising!). Just seems like he'd be a natural. Even without the big slapper, his ability to see the whole zone might settle us down. We would need a speedster on the other point, though.

Good observation on the flex.

I agree that Brindy's ice vision would be a plus but the other areas made him ineffective there. He is also very valuable down low on redirects. It was almost like an open audition for points last year and even Wesley got a look for a couple of games. ;)

I like Brind'Amour's current role with the PP.

I could be wrong........but on the power play too it appeared the Canes had someone parked firmly in front of the net......more than they usually do. Nothing became of it but I liked the look a lot better than just a bunch of perimeter passing.

On another note, I was hoping those couple of goals Gleason got would give him more PP time. He's a decent puck carrying defenseman. I guess I'd just be more comfortable with Gleason at the point than Hamilton.

Staal at point is a good move. I thought the team tried to pass through the box too often last night vs Caps. They mostly turned it over when trying.

They're fine with "flexing" but need to pick up the pace. Teams seem to reset, or provide easy viewing lanes for the goalie when the Canes are slow in moving the puck.

The main reason is he's too slow to chase the opposing player (and we give up a lot of shorthanded chances).

But besides that, he is the type of player that should be in the front of the net cause of his awesome hand-eye coordination, and our PP seems to be better when players are in front deflecting shots from the point.

Eric is a good shooter from the point, but in terms of playmaking, he's gotta work on that probably, but it is a hard role to pick up if you haven't played in a while.

Until Matt comes back though, I feel much better though with 4 forwards and 1 defenseman on the PP.

I loved getting Staal to the point on the powerplay. You could see that we gained the zone a lot better last night against Washington. Granted it did not show up in any goals, but I think our powerplay looked much improved last night. Stick with this and we WILL see the payoff soon.

Andy

Yanno......TS .....I normally respect your opinion about most anything hockey. But IMHO, the only new role for Brindy is to sit a while. He shows a flash on occasion, but over the past year he has lost his mental focus(even strength or power play), slowed down a good bit this year and his puck handling skills have lost the edge. Other than face offs, I don't see him as all that valuable on the PP.

And the only problem I have with sitting Brindy......we ain't got a soul to take his place.

Here's a good role for Brind'Amour...

3rd line center until he gets his head back in the game...

he's been our worst forward on a consistent basis this year. We can't afford to have him on the bench, but we can't afford to have him playing top-2 line duties right now. He turns the puck over way too often and he's horrible with taking the dumb penalty. Oh, and his faceoff numbers have taken a decline to the point where even Staal is doing better than him. No, we can't afford him to be getting the minutes he does anymore.

Here's a good role for Brind'Amour...

3rd line center until he gets his head back in the game...

he's been our worst forward on a consistent basis this year. We can't afford to have him on the bench, but we can't afford to have him playing top-2 line duties right now. He turns the puck over way too often and he's horrible with taking the dumb penalty. Oh, and his faceoff numbers have taken a decline to the point where even Staal is doing better than him. No, we can't afford him to be getting the minutes he does anymore.

And if he goes to the 3rd line who do you expect to take his spot right now that would do better (especially with Cullen being out), Letowski? Hamilton? Aucoin?

And if he goes to the 3rd line who do you expect to take his spot right now that would do better (especially with Cullen being out), Letowski? Hamilton? Aucoin?

Please, don't scare us any further....

I wouldn't mind giving Ladd a chance at center. He's big and physical and he likes to park himself in front of the net.

IMHO, i think he would be a great fit at 2nd line Center...

I wouldn't mind giving Ladd a chance at center. He's big and physical and he likes to park himself in front of the net.

IMHO, i think he would be a great fit at 2nd line Center...

Can he win a faceoff?

Then let's go with LaRose as a center. He's actually played a game as a center, and he's got better vision.

If he could put on some more weight, I'd love him as center... but as of now, he's just a gritty winger who is effective at disrupting whatever the other team is trying to do...

Yanno......TS .....I normally respect your opinion about most anything hockey. But IMHO, the only new role for Brindy is to sit a while. He shows a flash on occasion, but over the past year he has lost his mental focus(even strength or power play), slowed down a good bit this year and his puck handling skills have lost the edge. Other than face offs, I don't see him as all that valuable on the PP.

And the only problem I have with sitting Brindy......we ain't got a soul to take his place.

Thanks NGHB, and I hear ya. I'm as disgusted with his play as I'm sure he is. When I put this thread up I perhaps didn't make myself clear: I'm talking about using him ONLY on the PP, and maybe as a second-line PKer. The parallel converstion here about whom to put at center on his line is a valid one, because I think Roddy needs to watch the game mostly from the bench for a while. This will allow him to see things only visible to a true vet, and to bring focused energy when he is used.

I believe Brindy got a chance on the point last year. It really didn't make a difference. We need him taking faceoffs anyway. He's been off his game this year, for some reason. What I would absolutely love to see on the point is a combination of one of these three guys: Cullen/Samsonov/Corvo. Any one of those combinations would be deadly. Anyone agree?

I believe Brindy got a chance on the point last year. It really didn't make a difference. We need him taking faceoffs anyway. He's been off his game this year, for some reason. What I would absolutely love to see on the point is a combination of one of these three guys: Cullen/Samsonov/Corvo. Any one of those combinations would be deadly. Anyone agree?

Corvo and Cullen will be the firs tunit when Matt is healthy, and it'll be much better with Corvo's one-timer.

Samsonov I don't like at the point, only cause everyone knows he won't shoot from there, kinda makes it easier to cover him. he looks fine where he is,

Actually I agree with you. Samsanov might do much better down low. He's a slick puck handler who can keep the puck down low near the boards or by the net. I think we should put Staal back on the point every now and then. Not all the time, but during the Stanley Cup season, he scored many of his PP goals from the point. However, he is getting better at faceoffs and is good at tipping the puck in front. Could put Staal anywhere. Would Patrick Eaves be on the PP? I haven't seen him play much before. I heard he was a Larose type of player with more skill.