The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

I like the return in Eaves...but I just can't stand Corvo. Sad to see Commodore go and with the addition of Corvo's salary I guess that counts out his returning in the offseason unless it's for a big discount.

I like the return in Eaves...but I just can't stand Corvo. Sad to see Commodore go and with the addition of Corvo's salary I guess that counts out his returning in the offseason unless it's for a big discount.

Not a bad move at all though. Eaves is only 23 (and I am guessing they plan on re-signing Eaves) for Stillman who is 34.

Corvo/Commie is a wash since Commodore is a UFA in the spring, he be asking the same if not more than what Corvo is signed for.

And Corvo has some offensive skills as well.

But its sad to see these Commie and Stiller go, and wish them luck in Ottawa.

Looking forward to seeing Corvo and Eaves skate with the Hurricanes!

I agree with you about Eaves and I'm not a big Corvo fan. He is a great puck-mover but a huge defensive liability who doesn't use his size to his advantage. The guy is like a freakshow though. I'm not sad to see Commodore go and am a bit surprised but not heartbroken about Stillman leaving. Stillman could well be back but I never thought Commodore would.

Eaves isn't a PK'er though and is an RFA so that one will be interesting. I think JR was probably angling for Vermette but Ottawa wanted Cole then.

Corvo will immediately be on the point on the first unit PP. He is very dynamic there but just leaky at even strength unfortunately.

Corvo played with Lowell for a bit and most of his career in LA...so we have had a good chance to see him play and maybe he'll pair well with Gleason. With Eaves coming on board, the amount of young talent on this team is getting rediculously good.

Well it begins, the REBUILD I like the fact that this trade should add instant respect to our PENALTY KILL and TRANSITION GAME!

Do not forget that we won the cup one forward short (Cole), and Stilly has not doubt lost a step since then!

Cole only played in one or two playoff games at the end, so I feel he is hungry to contribute to another!

Stillman has lived his hockey life as a free agent and it has worked in Tampa and Carolina. Probably will in Ottawa!

Eaves is a very fast skater and a pure penalty killing type of guy. I don't know where they will play him maybee with Staal and Cole!

Not a bad move at all though. Eaves is only 23 (and I am guessing they plan on re-signing Eaves) for Stillman who is 34.

Corvo/Commie is a wash since Commodore is a UFA in the spring, he be asking the same if not more than what Corvo is signed for.

I agree...and Stillman has been hurt or injury hampered for sometime now (as he let slip in a post-game interview awhile back) and his play has just been awful lately (TSN lists both him and Commie as "cold" while Corvo is "hot"). At least, this gets the Canes younger. As for Stillman, JR likely told him (as he did with Wesley and Francis on end of year trades with their NTCs) go do your thing in Ottawa and, at the end of the season, an offer will be waiting for you here (as Stillman made it known he wanted to stay in Carolina).

All in all, this deal may help today, but is looking to the future too.

The general consensus is that we were gypped on this deal, and I'm not one to disagree. Eaves is an enigma right now, but it could just be because Ottawa relies mainly on their first line to do things. Commodore for Corvo is terrible.

I like the move. I said that Commie would be going anyway if not now, but at the end of the season.

I like Corvo and Eaves is good too. :)

The problem is, it still doesn't help us defensively. If anything, it makes us even worse defensively. However, Corvo has over double the amount of points Commodore does, so it'll hopefully be a great improvement offensively.

Perhaps we'll just score more goals than we'll give up now.

I'm actually surprised that Stillman waived the NTC. I honestly didn't think he ever would.

I like getting Eaves, but Corvo. He just isn't really an upgrade over what we already have. Although he doesn't seem to take stupid penalties like Commodore, so maybe it'll work.

But I believe Ottawa won this trade, just my 2 cents.

Well I dont like Corvo's salary but I am excited to see how he and Eaves fit in here. and for the most part I agree with what tangledheart said Commie probly would've left anyway and Sillman will probably return here for next season, maybe even at a smaller price?

Could anyone do us a favor and describe a bit more how these two Senator players... play?

Eaves:

Assets - Is an excellent skater and fore-checker. Anticipates plays well at both ends of the ice, and displays all-around ability. Owns intriguing scoring upside.

Flaws - Still needs more bulk in order to thrive at the NHL level. Could use more fine-tuning in all aspects of the game.

Career potential - Top six winger.

Corvo:

Assets - Has intriguing scoring potential from the back end and also owns enough size to play an effective defensive game.

Flaws - May need to play a less risky game in order to see regular ice time in the NHL. Must tighten up his defensive-zone coverage.

Career potential - No. 6 or 7 defenseman

Ottawa fans are estatic that they were able to get rid of Corvo. <_<

It's not that clear cut. Eaves is ridiculously injury prone and could very well not ever pan out and become what people once thought he could. He has only played in 26 games this year.

In case anyone wondered why I referred to Corvo as a freakshow...

120648-45626.jpg

I'm thinking he won't be getting his own figurine anytime soon. ;)

Guy has every cliche tattoo in the books...ridiculous haha

Eaves is a very fast skater and a pure penalty killing type of guy. I don't know where they will play him maybee with Staal and Cole!

Eaves is a pure penalty killing type of guy? Get your facts straight before you give an analysis of a player. In 26 games this season Eaves has played a total of 6:25 on the pk. That's roughly 15 seconds a game. The stats don't lie.

The problem is, it still doesn't help us defensively. If anything, it makes us even worse defensively. However, Corvo has over double the amount of points Commodore does, so it'll hopefully be a great improvement offensively.

Perhaps we'll just score more goals than we'll give up now.

Isn't that what we did several years ago?

As long as this trade gets us younger, quicker, and improves our PP, I'm one happy camper. Stillman has been down on the 3rd line lately. By moving to Ottawa, he may get back to a 2nd line. Good for him.

However, Corvo has over double the amount of points Commodore does, so it'll hopefully be a great improvement offensively.

Yeah, but Commie also missed about 1/3 of the season due to injury, so it's not really a fair mathmatical comparison, not to mention Ottawa in general hasn't struggled like the Canes have...

Thanks Stiller and Commy for all you've done!

Welcome to the new guys.

I like this trade although sorry to see them go. We were hoping for some changes and we are starting to see them. I am excited to see their immediate contributions tommorow night.

Well I dont like Corvo's salary but I am excited to see how he and Eaves fit in here. and for the most part I agree with what tangledheart said Commie probly would've left anyway and Sillman will probably return here for next season, maybe even at a smaller price?

Stillers obviously was willing to leave to go get himself another Cup. He had to waive his NTC to go, so I can't really be sad.

Corvo is what we need folks, why the complaining? You all wanted a trade...you got it.