The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Yes, Cam is much worse than the score sheet indicates. As I mentioned in a previous post, no 3rd year starting goaltender should be working on the basic fundamentals of his position. If Cam Ward is as good as many think he is, he should be explaining fundamentals to Tom Barasso, not begging for his assistance.

Cam has some great games for this team, but stats over the long term do not lie. He's a bottom tier starting goalie in the NHL, and while that can change as he matures, watching him limp along game to game has become painful for hurricanes fans. Cam reminds me of the shortstop who makes sensational diving plays, but leads the league in errors. This tells me that he is lacking in either concentration or key fundamentals. In either case, we need another goaltender who can both help him and push him toward improvement.

You have too realize at the same time, our Defense just plain sucks most games. As its been said before, our D just leaves him hanging dry.

And you can mark my words on this... JR is not done... not by a long shot

He may not finish everything by this deadline, but there will be much more of a shakeup before the beginning of next season. I see at least one more major trade in our future, and if I had to guess it involves a package deal of Cole and Wallin/Kaberle...

OH MY GOSH.

are you kidding meeee!

howww could they do this to me!

this seriously made my day so much worse.

first soccer tryouts now THIS.

:angry:

im thinking that ottawa is my second favorite team now..

Simply because of Mike Commodore? :lol: Well now I think someone doesn't just like Mike... ;)

You seem to know so little about hockey, I'm not surprised that you stop reading whenever someone who has a lot of experience watching the NHL posts.

Your ignorance must be blissful.

No, I stop reading posts when someone says something as completely stupid and insane as "Cam plays much worse than the scoresheet says"

When I read opinions like that, I know I'm not dealing with the most knowledgeable of people, so its not worth my time and effort to continue to read those thoughts, especially when it comes from someone with only 5 posts who is coming on here to whine and complain that their favorite player was traded and is going to lash out at everyone else on the team because of said sour grapes...

You have too realize at the same time, our Defense just plain sucks most games. As its been said before, our D just leaves him hanging dry.

unfortunatly its easy to criticize a goalie especially if you have never played goal before. I play goal in several leagues but I also play out occasionaly and trust me when I say this you can take the best goalie there is ( Broduer ) put him on a team with absolutly no defense whatso ever and he will also average 5 goals per game. Remember that puck has to get by 5 players before it gets to the goalie and the goalie cant do much if he cant see the puck or he has guys turning it over all the time or not covering the back door and clearing rebounds. Cam Ward is a great goalie and will only get better, but if he doesnt have defense in front of him or if he doesnt have confidence in his defense there is only so much he can do. If he doesnt have confidence in his defense then that means he has to completely change his style of play to offset the lack of defense, which means he will tend to anticipate plays more which in turn will lead to more mistakes. ITS A TEAM SPORT!!! Until he can have confidense in his D and concentrate on playing his game and not the Defenses game hes going to continue to have bad stats

And you can mark my words on this... JR is not done... not by a long shot

He may not finish everything by this deadline, but there will be much more of a shakeup before the beginning of next season. I see at least one more major trade in our future, and if I had to guess it involves a package deal of Cole and Wallin/Kaberle...

Yea I think we should trade Cole too...Wallin and Kaberle seem like ok side options to go along with. Go out there and get someone big...and maybe a pick...or prospect.

Yes, Cam is much worse than the score sheet indicates. As I mentioned in a previous post, no 3rd year starting goaltender should be working on the basic fundamentals of his position. If Cam Ward is as good as many think he is, he should be explaining fundamentals to Tom Barasso, not begging for his assistance.

Cam has some great games for this team, but stats over the long term do not lie. He's a bottom tier starting goalie in the NHL, and while that can change as he matures, watching him limp along game to game has become painful for hurricanes fans. Cam reminds me of the shortstop who makes sensational diving plays, but leads the league in errors. This tells me that he is lacking in either concentration or key fundamentals. In either case, we need another goaltender who can both help him and push him toward improvement.

Have to agree with you. Watching Cam leaning his entire body outside the post and then blaming the goal on a deflection is absurd. Maybe if he was square to the puck and not already in his own goal, it wouldn't be so tough to stop something. The shortstop analogy is a great one. Anyone can run around and let a shot hit them every now and then but once he actually has to be decent in a game, he is horrible.

Maybe we should trade for a goaltender who can actually play fundamentally sound hockey.

This is big news and we have folks from the Sens board here to offer their opinions too. If this turns into an argument between teams, fan knowlege or tatoos (you're kidding me about this one :rolleyes: ), warnings will be handed out and accounts suspended.

Carry on...

This is big news and we have folks from the Sens board here to offer their opinions too. If this turns into an argument between teams, fan knowlege or tatoos (you're kidding me about this one :rolleyes: ), warnings will be handed out and accounts suspended.

Carry on...

Since winning the cup....Cam has sucked, Staal has sucked. Theres our answer to why we are in 10th place today, these two guys led us to the cup and have not come close to that form since. I'll give Cam till the end of the year to show if he's ever gonna be any good again, Same goes for Staal. If it's the D's fault Cam sucks than..........lets make some moves already on the D. Staal just needs somebody to set him up nice passes and give him juicy rebounds to shove in, this is the only way he scores anymore. He's gonna miss Stillman.

All goalies work on the fundementals. Its really all they can work on. Broduer, Luongo, Miller, and all the top goalies in the league work on fundementals.

Also, its usually Grahmne who makes the diving for the puck plays. Cam tries to stay square and in good position.

Yea I think we should trade Cole too...Wallin and Kaberle seem like ok side options to go along with. Go out there and get someone big...and maybe a pick...or prospect.

I still think trading Cole right now would be a mistake...unless we got a hell of a lot for him.

Since winning the cup....Cam has sucked, Staal has sucked. Theres our answer to why we are in 10th place today, these two guys led us to the cup and have not come close to that form since. I'll give Cam till the end of the year to show if he's ever gonna be any good again, Same goes for Staal. If it's the D's fault Cam sucks than..........lets make some moves already on the D. Staal just needs somebody to set him up nice passes and give him juicy rebounds to shove in, this is the only way he scores anymore. He's gonna miss Stillman.

Funny that same player Staal won the AllStar MVP this year. Oh thats right he sucks and hasnt done crap since the cup. HMMM looks like its not the player that has problems its the team. Also the Canes were doing just fine earlier in the season until Williams got hurt. Seems to me its not the players ITS CALLED A DROUGHT!!!! every team goes through this. They just need to readjust and find their game again. We have all seen that they can play great this year they just need to find that chemistry again.

I have to point out, its Staal. ;)

Staal still has skilled players around him even without Stillman.

From a TSN blog:

Numbers Game: Winds of Change

Two Eastern Conference teams looking for change hooked up for a significant trade, with the Senators getting size and scoring while the Hurricanes landed mobility and youth.

Numbers Game breaks down the Senators-Hurricanes deal.

The Senators Get: LW Cory Stillman and D Mike Commodore.

Stillman, 34, is a proven point producer who has 583 points in 815 career games. While a shoulder injury hindered Stillman a great deal last season, he's still

Second-line scoring has long been a crying need for the Senators and Stillman's presence will alleviate that need. Furthermore, he's earned two Stanley Cup rings -- in 2004 with Tampa Bay and in 2006 with Carolina -- and that kind of experience will prove valuable for a Senators squad that is trying to get over the hump.

Stillman figures to find time alongside Mike Fisher, who is already improving as an offensive contributor, and Stillman should only enhance that development.

Stillman earns a modest $1.75-million this season and will be an unrestricted free agent in the summer.

The Senators' long-term interest in Stillman will depend a great deal on how much he produces for them down the stretch and that is an issue. While Stillman has a solid 46 points in 55 games this season, he has 31 points in the first 23 games before putting up just 15 points in the last 32 games. A fresh start may help jumpstart his offence.

Commodore is a 28 year-old physical defenceman who will add a new dimension to the Senators' blueline. While Commodore doesn't handle the puck with the aplomb of Joe Corvo, Commodore is a safer, more physical option who can handle significant minutes -- he was leading Hurricanes blueliners with more than 19 minutes of ice time per game.

Additionally, the 6-foot-5, 229-pound defenceman adds a physical dimension for the Sens as he's willing to drop the gloves when necessary. While not an enforcer, Commodore ranked third on the Hurricanes in hits (93) and was tied for the Hurricanes' lead in fighting majors (six), so he'll give Ottawa a nastier edge on the blueline.

Commodore, who's earning $1.3-million this season, will also be an unrestricted free agent at season's end.

While Ottawa will miss Corvo's puckhandling skills, Andrej Meszaros could take on more power play responsibility and that should mitigate the loss.

The Hurricanes Get: D Joe Corvo and RW Patrick Eaves.

Corvo, 30, is a highly-skilled defenceman who goes through serious defensive lapses, making him a risky player at times and his miserable January (three assists, minus-9 in 12 games) made him more expendable.

However, since the Hurricanes are utterly desperate for someone to quarterback the power play, Corvo is a fine option for the role. With 15 power play points this season, Corvo ranked tops among Ottawa's blueliners.

Corvo's also under contract for two more seasons, at $2.75-million per season, so he gives the Hurricanes a quality long-term asset as part of a deal for two players with expiring contracts.

Eaves, who has been out for a couple of weeks with neck and shoulder injuries is a 23 year-old winger with some offensive ability, though it hasn't been working out for him in Ottawa.

After notching 20 goals in 58 games as a rookie in 2005-2006, Eaves followed with 14 goals and 32 points in 73 games during his second season and has just four goals and ten points in 26 games this season. Perhaps he'll get a chance to play on a scoring line in Carolina though, as the roster sits currently, Eaves may still be a third-liner when everyone is healthy.

A restricted free agent at season's end, Eaves is earning $942,000 this season and as a young player who still has 20-goal potential, he's a solid second piece for the Hurricanes to add as part of this deal.

While this deal would figure to hurt the Hurricanes in the short-term, it's possible that Corvo's presence on the power play will be enough to keep Carolina pushing for a playoff spot.

In the end, each team is making moves that relate directly to their current situation. The Senators, atop the Eastern Conference standings, are adding veteran pieces for an anticipated prolonged Stanley Cup playoff run, while the Hurricanes made a smart move getting two assets for multiple seasons in exchange for two pending free agents.

Scott Cullen can be reached at scullen@tsn.ca

I still think trading Cole right now would be a mistake...unless we got a hell of a lot for him.

I wouldn't expect a "hell of a lot," it may be a one-for-one deal for someone like Pitkanen from Edmonton. If Rutherford still thinks this team is in the playoff hunt, he won't trade Cole for multiple players that can't match his value to this team (which is what you'll usually find in package deals).

And his stock is really high right now and I think we could get a lot for him

I dunno... I just don't like his regress that I've seen over the past 2 years. The way he's been playing, it has me convinced he just might not have it anymore. He is a great player every once in a while, but thats all it is, every once in a while. I'm not sure he has it in him to bring that kind of consistent game on a daily basis like we saw in 2006 prior to his injury. In fact, I think that injury is what will inevitably be the downward turning point in his career.

Now I hope I am wrong, but I am not willing to take that chance here in Carolina. Right now, I'd rather us get a good player with a package deal like I was talking about instead of having to wonder 'what if' on a nightly basis with him. Just seems like we should sell high on this one, and I don't think he'll ever be higher than he is right now.

No disagreement here, but I watch about 300 NHL games a year and I see goalies being hung out to dry in every game. One of the litmus test on great Goalies is how they compete in shootouts....no defensemen allowed....mano y mano. And in that category, Cam is also a bottom tier goalie. Like I said, he has promise but lacks in some key fundamentals.

It's pretty simple, you can either judge Cam by how he played for about a month during the Stanley Cup playoffs or by how he's played the other 2 years of his career. It's like the guy who hits 6 HRS in the MLB playoffs, but only averages 15 a season. Somehow I think Cam is somewhere in between that Conn Smythe goalie and the goalie with a GAA nearing 3.0.

In any case, I'd like to see Cam succeed for the benefit of the Canes. Afterall, I'm spending about 8K a year watching him from center ice at the RBC.

Ew, no. I've been trying to deal with coming home everyday and checking if he's been traded. I really hope we don't trade him, but I am getting ready to see it. :( Trade Kabs or Wally, but forward-wise, trade Ladd over Cole. Even though we'd get less for Ladd, I don't want to see Cole go. :o

You can criticize all the players you want but the bottom line is Hockey is a team sport and alot of that is based on confidense and momentum. You lose or lack in just one of those areas and everyones game goes to crap. What seperates the good teams from the great teams are the ones who are able to fix the problem and bounce back from it. The Canes need to regroup and get that confidense they had earlier in the season. Until then no trade is going to work. Anyone who has played hockey or any sport for that matter knows when you lack confidense and start doubting yourself or your teamates then nobody playes well. Carolina is in that situation now and they need to fix it. Its not from a lack of talent. The talent is their they just need to regain their confidense and chemistry back

Again, this isnt a topic about goalies, its about the trade that happened today.

Getting back to the topic, I am still on the fence about the trade. People are saying that Eaves is a good trade for Stillman. If he is quick and handles the puck well, I can see him with Roddy and Sammy. The combination seems like chemistry with two puck handling wingers and a center that is as cleaver as Roddy.

As far as Corvo for Commie, I really liked having Commie here. He did have some stupid penalties but all-in-all, he was aggressive. Corvo may find a different atmosphere here. He will be required to step up his play and produce since his numbers are better than Commie's.

We shall see what the future brings but until then, I will remain on the fence.

My .02!