The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Ew, no. I've been trying to deal with coming home everyday and checking if he's been traded. I really hope we don't trade him, but I am getting ready to see it. :( Trade Kabs or Wally, but forward-wise, trade Ladd over Cole. Even though we'd get less for Ladd, I don't want to see Cole go. :o

Whatever we could get for Ladd, would not make any type of positive impact on this team. That's why Cole is the guy I expect to be traded. He still has enough value around the NHL that we would be able to get a player who can make an instant impact in return, whether that be Liles, Pitkanen, or someone else.

Its interesting you say that because by coming on here and questioning the trade like you did you're not challenging us, you're questioning the decision making abilities of a GM that took us from worst in the league to Cup champs in two seasons. I mean you must have some serious bling on your fingers to have such a bold thought process like that, no?

look im not saying its a bad choice, im not saying our gm sucks

im saying i wouldnt do it

i just hate trades

Ew, no. I've been trying to deal with coming home everyday and checking if he's been traded. I really hope we don't trade him, but I am getting ready to see it. :( Trade Kabs or Wally, but forward-wise, trade Ladd over Cole. Even though we'd get less for Ladd, I don't want to see Cole go. :o

Before his injury, Cole was on his way to being a 70-80 pt. guy who we could build around. However, since his injury, he's just been less effective over time. Just like you, I would love for Cole to find his stride again and consistently show that 30 goal scorer talent that we all know he has...but I just don't think that's ever gonna happen. I think if would could trade him now and get great things in return, then I'd go for it. I just don't think he's a long-term solution anymore.

I knew this day would come... but now? I hoped that, if it must happen, it would during the offseason. This is a shock and a true bummer to me. Commie hasn't helped us a ton lately, but not saying he hasn't. Stillers on the other hand... well heck, that's like getting rid of Whitney or Staal... something that'll kill our chance of scoring at the "last second". Eaves is "'aight", but Corvo makes me wanna puke-o. This is a shock to me, but I hope that Commie and Stillers will be happy throughout the rest of their career.

Just say no? No...

"Just say Cole, don't go!"

No disagreement here, but I watch about 300 NHL games a year and I see goalies being hung out to dry in every game. One of the litmus test on great Goalies is how they compete in shootouts....no defensemen allowed....mano y mano. And in that category, Cam is also a bottom tier goalie. Like I said, he has promise but lacks in some key fundamentals.

It's pretty simple, you can either judge Cam by how he played for about a month during the Stanley Cup playoffs or by how he's played the other 2 years of his career. It's like the guy who hits 6 HRS in the MLB playoffs, but only averages 15 a season. Somehow I think Cam is somewhere in between that Conn Smythe goalie and the goalie with a GAA nearing 3.0.

In any case, I'd like to see Cam succeed for the benefit of the Canes. Afterall, I'm spending about 8K a year watching him from center ice at the RBC.

Yeah, I haven't seen Cam consistently playing great goaltending like the playoffs since the playoffs. He started strong this season, then one 7-2 loss to the Canadiens made him lose confidence and then began to drop. He was top in Goalie Wins, S%, and GAA for the first month, and well into November. But then again, our Defense dropped greatly in December, and then offense, and now we're a mess. Well, we were a mess before the All-Star game, although we started to get our act together. Now we need to be consistently good. Winning a giant game against WSH then losing 6-1 the next day is horrible. Cam should've had a rest. When a Goalies hot, but starting alot of games consistently they will get tired and it will affect their game. IMO anyways.

Just say no? No...

"Just say Cole, don't go!"

OMG, best post EVAR.

Lol, the Cole part anyways. We got Corvo, and he is a good return, whether you like the guy or not he has some talent. Eaves, ehh, no one knows if he will do great, and no one knows if he will do bad. It's a wait and see deal with him.

haha :)

but serioiusly i hope he likes it up there..

OH MAN..

WHAT IS CHAD LAROSE GOING TO DO NOW?!

Heal his leg without someone poking fun at him! LOL

Maybe someone else can pick up the slack.

Tough

Ladd has more upside to us right now than Cole does. Ladd brings a physical game that we need and he's showing signs that he can become the type of player that we need... If anything, Cole has shown that it might be too much to ask him to be the player we need to just because of his injury...

aww poor chad.. i feel bad for him.

haha but no one can replace mike..

and i mean no one.

If by no one, you mean another big, goofy, slow, only physical at dumb times who constantly gets caught out of position trying to do too much only to get burned while actually playing defense...

I'm pretty sure those guys come dime a dozen in the league nowadays...

Before this turns into another Cam Ward thread, I'll get a comment in about the trade. Well rats, there goes my favorite Cane in Cory Stillman. But I'm not surprised. I sensed this was going to happen a couple of games ago when he put in time on the third line. Of course Stillman has had more linemates in the last couple of months than there are stars in the solar system.

I hope this a "win, win" trade for both teams. I'm anxious to see how many problems an offensive minded defenseman can solve for the Canes. Eaves.......don't know anything about him except that he's injured? :blink:

Maybe Commodore will get a second life and wake up call. The possibility of winning a Stanley Cup I'm guessing can be a great motivator.

Reading the press releases has answered some questions for me about a NTC. I kinda took it to mean a player has at least some say in where'd he'd be traded to as opposed to rejecting every trade. I'm not at all surprised where Stillman is headed given who is in-laws are and where he is from, not to mention the potential of a third Stanley Cup ring. Kudos to Stillman for helping to work this deal for the Canes. LOL Judging by some comments here lately, you had worn out your welcome despite your measily 1.75 million a year salary, team leading 6 game winning goals and being the leading scorer for the Canes at the halfway point.

Only time will tell who is the winner(s) or loser(s) in this trade. But one thing Ottawa has won..........is getting a very classy individual with the inherent ability to score a goal when the game is on the line. Does class translate into Stanley Cups? Well it has for Cory Stillman........twice and maybe Ottawa is thinking the third will be the charm. Good luck to you Cory Stillman.

Carolina will lead the league in tattoos and hopefully that will translate into more offense on the PP and opening up the ice for some of the other talented forwards.

JR does it again. Considering we gave up two UFA's at years end I believe JR got good value in return. If he had waited until the deadline maybe we could have gotten a little more but I believe this means he still believes that we have a shot at the post season. If this does not turn things around we still have several veterans that will garner much interest at the deadline.

After getting over the initial shock of this trade, its a good deal for both teams.

Sens get the gritty defenseman and an experienced vet to help them with the playoff push.

Canes get that much needed puck moving defenseman, and a young forward who is NHL ready. Grant it he is injured now, but once he and Cullen are healthy, I see good things on that third line.

The other thing with this move, is we can now move Ladd up and give him a chance to prove himself. He can't do it getting 6 minutes a night. Time to see what he's got. Put him on the top lines and on the PP. This way you can see if he is going to work out or if he need to be traded in the off season.

I heard JR and he said that he and Stillman have a 'special relationship' and have been in discussions for the past month. He layed everything out on the table and what his plans were to Stillman. To me it sounded like the door is open and if Stillman wants to come back, there's a place for him here. JR also said that doing the trade now gives him a chance to see if there are any other glaring issues that need to be dealt with at the deadline.

I also caught Cole on 99.9 and man he sounded like he just lost his best friend. He said he was very surprised when he heard, but they all knew something was going to be done. He said that Stillman has taught him alot and he will be missed. He also said Commodore is a great team guy and will be missed as well. Cole said that Corvo is the type of player that they have been looking for all year and will immediatly give their PP a boost and has a great shot. Said he doesn't know much about Eaves but he has a great skill set, young and has alot of upside. He says they are having a team dinner tonight where he's sure this will be discussed. Said they will show up to the rink tomorrow and everyone will be focused and ready for tomorrow night.

Oh and for the ones who think JR is throwing in the towel. Um we are taking on additional salary. If JR was throwing in the towel he would have traded these guys for picks/prospects not take on additional salary.

On the trade...

In general I find Ruthorford's moves to be very good and well thought out, and this one is no exception. With this move, he has managed to:

1) Get younger

2) Address the direct need for a quality point man on the power play

3) Do all this while getting value for guys who are free agents at the end of the season, meaning we will either get them back, or would have lost them anyway. Getting something for nothing is good

Managing 1 and 2 while working in the framework of 3 is impressive. Some have already pointed out, it is a miracle we got anything for these guys. Not because they are not skilled, but because they are not much of a commodity beyond this season. We managed to find a team that needed them badly.

On Cole:

And his stock is really high right now and I think we could get a lot for him

I dunno... I just don't like his regress that I've seen over the past 2 years. The way he's been playing, it has me convinced he just might not have it anymore. He is a great player every once in a while, but thats all it is, every once in a while. I'm not sure he has it in him to bring that kind of consistent game on a daily basis like we saw in 2006 prior to his injury. In fact, I think that injury is what will inevitably be the downward turning point in his career.

Now I hope I am wrong, but I am not willing to take that chance here in Carolina. Right now, I'd rather us get a good player with a package deal like I was talking about instead of having to wonder 'what if' on a nightly basis with him. Just seems like we should sell high on this one, and I don't think he'll ever be higher than he is right now.

Model, I disagree here, but time will tell who is right on this one. I believe he is a 70-80 point man and will be in the future. I think it is worth the chance to keep him. The only way I see this as different is if the "insider view" of team management know that he is likely gone when he becomes unrestricted. That might be the kicker when they are deciding to make a move with him or not.

I think the other reason he hasn't moved yet is that the value hasn't been there. Hard to know when we're not privy to the trade talks.

why is everybody on here going nuts about this trade. we gave up two players who are both going to be free agents at seasons end. so you can look at it two ways. by summer we gave up two player who we no longer would have anyway for two players we will deffinetly have next season, or we can try to resign the two players traded(dont think it will happen) and in effect end up with two players whom we loaned out to get two players who are sighned. we needed a quarterback for the powerplay, coravo wanted out of canada. we needed to get younger, eaves is younger and when healthy again, get more icetimethan he would in ottawa. stillmans production was going down and he wasnt getting any younger, he has another chanse for a cup which he accepted the trade. commadore was erratic at best and was probebly not going to resighn here.

Fair trade IMO, Ottawa just added some more veteran depth and their trying like all hell to win the cup more than ever, while you guys got Eaves, but I don't know about Corvo yet, he's got potenntial.

Would've appreciated if you guys could've waited till after we played Ottawa on Tuesday geeshhhh <_<

Oh and for the ones who think JR is throwing in the towel. Um we are taking on additional salary. If JR was throwing in the towel he would have traded these guys for picks/prospects not take on additional salary.

The monetary difference between Corvo/Eaves and Stillman/Commodore's contracts for this season is like 300k, so barely any difference at all. Especially when we cleared some salary by moving Gove, Adams and Forrest. Next year we'll be paying that duo less than Commodore and Stillman will make combined, I bet. Eaves isn't up for much of a raise considering he can't stay healthy and someone will throw big money at Commodore.