The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Tough

Ladd has more upside to us right now than Cole does. Ladd brings a physical game that we need and he's showing signs that he can become the type of player that we need... If anything, Cole has shown that it might be too much to ask him to be the player we need to just because of his injury...

LOL, you're full of it today :D Cole also brings a physical presence. Who leads the Hurricanes in hit? Erik Cole with over 110 hits. And Cole is alot more talented than Ladd. The only thing IMO that Ladd has more than Cole is potential. Ladd has been struggling all season. Cole has been struggling too, but he has been there for those needed goals.

ANYWAYS on topic here, the difference in money is Corvo + Eaves = 3.6m, Stiller + Commie = 3m. Both Stillman and Commodore are UFA at the end of the season, Corvo is signed until 2010, and Eaves will be a RFA at the end of the year. We got more from the trade long term, and with the difference in age, we got the younger players, which we need.

why is everybody on here going nuts about this trade. we gave up two players who are both going to be free agents at seasons end. so you can look at it two ways. by summer we gave up two player who we no longer would have anyway for two players we will deffinetly have next season, or we can try to resign the two players traded(dont think it will happen) and in effect end up with two players whom we loaned out to get two players who are sighned. we needed a quarterback for the powerplay, coravo wanted out of canada. we needed to get younger, eaves is younger and when healthy again, get more icetimethan he would in ottawa. stillmans production was going down and he wasnt getting any younger, he has another chanse for a cup which he accepted the trade. commadore was erratic at best and was probebly not going to resighn here.

A trade has been long awaited. It's not necessarily the facts of the trade, it's the fact that there was a trade finally, and trades will always call for criticism and support.

And to add to my Cole post, his stickhandling isn't the greatest either :P lol

If by no one, you mean another big, goofy, slow, only physical at dumb times who constantly gets caught out of position trying to do too much only to get burned while actually playing defense...

I'm pretty sure those guys come dime a dozen in the league nowadays...

Holy crud Model that was mean!! :angry: :angry:

Holy crud Model that was mean!! :angry: :angry:

The truth can be painful sometimes.

Commodore's done nothing but hurt us of late. This is only my opinion, but his ineffective pinching will not be missed. How many goals of late have been scored off of odd-man rushes that have been his fault? His physicality and mean streak can be replaced by someone like say... Doug Janik for less money than Commodore will probably ask.

Finally. While I'm upset that those two are gone, it was needed. Stillman didn't have his game and really started struggling as soon as he hit the 40-point mark. I'll always remember his 1st period hat trick. One thing though. Who's going to come onto the ice wearing a bath robe now?

why is everybody on here going nuts about this trade.

We needed a trade for two reasons:

-1 Get a puck moving defense-man

-2 Get are team younger

So, why wouldn't we go "nuts"? Is this the teams saving grace? No. Is this a start to making the team better overall? Well defense wise yes. At the same time we will have a chance to resign Stillman (if you have read a few pages in this topic you would know why).

They were just talking about the trade on Versus, basically said that this trade is only better for Ottawa THIS YEAR. We are planning to have a solid base to build off of..

Corvo is what we need folks, why the complaining? You all wanted a trade...you got it.

Ditto TH. This is all you Canes have talked about wanting---a shake-up, now you got it, lets see what happens. As sad as I am to see Commodore (I'm having a hard time trying to muster up the nerve to call my son-in-law about Commodore--he's going to blow) and Stillman go, they were not doing anything for this team in the past couple of months. I feel good about this trade. I think it's just what the Hockey Doctors ordered. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I'm seeing young kids and teenagers in the near future with Corvo's hair-do.

Come on and lets give them both a chance and not with just one game.

Finally. While I'm upset that those two are gone, it was needed. Stillman didn't have his game and really started struggling as soon as he hit the 40-point mark. I'll always remember his 1st period hat trick. One thing though. Who's going to come onto the ice wearing a bath robe now?

That was an amazing game. Amazing moment....I will always remember that game. I was so sad too because the RBCC was pretty empty that night and it was not televised.

Darn work getting in the way of life!

Well, out from under that rock I just read about this trade. Welcome new Canes, and sad to see two good guys leave.

Sounds like good move by JR, given the UFA status. Maybe Commie will be back :)

Holy crap. I was at my parents house with my wife, we just finished dinner and I turned on ESPNews, and at the bottom is said Ottawa traded Eaves and Corvo for... (waiting for the other team, I jokingly said to my wife "For so and so from the Canes." for Cory Stillman and Commie! I was like "WHOA! NO WAY!" My wife was pretty ticked they traded Commie. (She enjoys hockey, but doesn't understand the business side of it. ;) .. )

I called Stillman being traded sometime at the beginning of the year. He was a good asset. He's experienced, he's won 2 cups back to back, and he was semi cheap for a top 6 winger. I'm really excited about Eaves. 23, top 6 winger... sheesh. Injury prone or not, he'll make some kind of impact here.

Corvo... I dunno. He looks awesome. Kinda like Seidenburg (when I say awesome, I mean, wow, I wouldn't wanna mess with him.) I hope, I HOPE Corvo helps out the PP. If we could get into the top 10 PP, I'd be happy. It would show us we can score on the man advantage, even if it doesn't mean we score ALOT ALOT.

Stiller, I loved seeing you in Tampa, and I enjoyed seeing you with Carolina. Good luck in Ottawa hoisting another Cup.

Commie, you were great when my wife and I came up there. Guy really treated us well in the autograph line. I hope both parties click well with their new respective teams.

its one of those things where you hate to see them go but, they have to try something. its good for both parties involved. stiller and commie will always have a place here (2006). the sad thing is its like we are losing that silent sibling that always helps out with your homework(stillman) and that beer drinking buddy that always does crazy stuff at parties (commodore). take care guys and good luck!

Tough

Ladd has more upside to us right now than Cole does. Ladd brings a physical game that we need and he's showing signs that he can become the type of player that we need... If anything, Cole has shown that it might be too much to ask him to be the player we need to just because of his injury...

I'de have to disagree with ya here Model, IMO Ladd doesn't play the body very well,he never really finishes his checks.He is built for it but he just seems to let up before he hits someone,usually Cole at least finishes his checks. Both of them are injury prone but Cole brings more to the team with his speed.Now as much as i like Cole maybe these 2 guys would make a nice package to some other team. Now that we have Eaves and maybe get Matt Back we could get a standup d-man for these guys.PLus Aucoin is playing pretty good.

Well that kind of blows that Commodore got traded, guess my jersey is now defunct but the 06 Stanley Cup patch I have on it still keeps it semi relivant. At least Cole didn't get traded, Patrick Eaves sounds like a solid pick up.

I would have no problem trading Cole and/or Ladd to get the defenseman we NEED. I love em, both for different reasons, but some people forget that this is a business, and you're here to win. And that means by trading some people out. Gotta give talent to get talent.

Does it seem a little odd to anybody that we're giving 2 experienced Cup players to the number 1 team in our division? Hmmmm ... seems to me we've already accepted our fate for the season and we're helping out the Sens. Why else would the Sens bother trading with us? They certainly wouldn't want to be helping us out. :unsure:

I'm not really upset about this trade, considering JR just traded 2 players he probably wouldn't re-sign in the offseason.

Eaves hopefully will get healthy and contribute. You'll see what you get with Corvo right away.

I see a lot of people down on Corvo here. But this trade adds two demensions to the defense, Speed, and puck-moving ability. With that yes, he will get caught pinching from time to time, that's what you get, and this is the kind of player JR wanted. In most cases you can't get both steady defense and offensive ability, most defensemen lean one way or the other.

For what they wanted, JR made a good deal. Maybe Stillman re-signs in the offseason, but I think it's a given that Commodore won't be back.

Good deal in my opinion, and JR might not be done yet.

Does it seem a little odd to anybody that we're giving 2 experienced Cup players to the number 1 team in our division? Hmmmm ... seems to me we've already accepted our fate for the season and we're helping out the Sens. Why else would the Sens bother trading with us? They certainly wouldn't want to be helping us out. :unsure:

Uhhh, Ottawa's not in our division. Dur. Same Conference, yes. But not Division.

The Sens aren't in our division. They're in our conference.

I don't think it sounds too strange, seeing as how we acquired the puck-moving defenseman we've been searching for and a good young forward with potential up the wazoo. He scored 20 goals in his 59-game rookie season, which is pretty good.

JM Liles should still be brought here. We have Hedican and Wesley thinking about retirement (hopefully).. Why not? Perhaps that would make Corvo expendable later on in the offseason if he doesn't work out here. Might be a good trading chip, IF he doesn't work out. I'm hoping he does, for our PP's sake, ya know? :)