The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

JM Liles should still be brought here. We have Hedican and Wesley thinking about retirement (hopefully).. Why not? Perhaps that would make Corvo expendable later on in the offseason if he doesn't work out here. Might be a good trading chip, IF he doesn't work out. I'm hoping he does, for our PP's sake, ya know? :)

I'm not so sure about Liles. If Corvo doesn't work out, then by all accounts we should seek to unload him and bring in Liles. If Corvo does play well here, we should focus on getting a physical shut-down guy.

Free agent wise, I'd go with someone like Doug Janik or Kurt Sauer. Both are impending UFA's, and both are good shut-down players who know how to play the body. They'll come cheap too, and then if we can trade Ladd for Ehrhoff and maybe Cole for a guy like Hamhuis, I think we're well off.

JM Liles should still be brought here. We have Hedican and Wesley thinking about retirement (hopefully)..
Yea, I agree. He shouldn't cost that much. At the same time he's good and has so much time too get better since he's young (and youth is something this team needs). I would really like to see JR get Liles in the offseason. As its been stated dozens of times: JR wants Liles on this team.

Fingers crossed.

JM Liles should still be brought here. We have Hedican and Wesley thinking about retirement (hopefully).. Why not? Perhaps that would make Corvo expendable later on in the offseason if he doesn't work out here. Might be a good trading chip, IF he doesn't work out. I'm hoping he does, for our PP's sake, ya know? :)

No

for the love of all things holy, no

if you want to see more turnovers, more defensive lapses, more sloppy defensive play leading to odd man rushes and breakaways for the opposition, sure, lets go ahead and bring in another puck moving defenseman.

But if you want to actually see some defense being played that can possibly help Ward become the player we know he can be, then lets go get a stay at home d-man who's skill can still be utilized in the NHL today (because its obvious the crackdown on clutching and grabbing was for one season only). We don't need Liles. Sure he would be nice to have if we could get rid of a Kaberle, but in the end, what we really need is that shut down d-man who can come in and lock down the opposition's best player(s) on a nightly basis. Until we get that, Cam is gonna keep gettin lit up like a menorah

Sure he would be nice to have if we could get rid of a Kaberle, but in the end, what we really need is that shut down d-man who can come in and lock down the opposition's best player(s) on a nightly basis.

Yea, if only we could get rid of Kaberle :unsure:

At the same time your right, we need a shutdown defenseman.

If we can get rid of Kabs and get Liles as a replacement AND get a decent shutdown defense man, than IMO the D would be all set. If Wesley doesn't retire that will be great cause he can teach the young D.

Obviously Ottawa will not be able to sign both Stillman and Commodore after the season ends with all the money they already have tied up in their top players. But what are the chances that Carolina will be able to keep Corvo & Eaves as well as re sign Stillman in the offseason? Will we have the cap space? I am new to this message board but been a Canes fan since they were here in Greensboro. I do not like trading Stillman for Eaves considering Eaves hasnt done anything this year due to being injured. If JR is able to keep these 2 guys and re sign Stillman in the offseason I would say this is a great deal but as it is now I think we are getting screwed.

Eaves is a restricted free agent, meaning we can sign him first or match offers for him (which won't be high, given he's been injured much of this year). Let's face it, we got him on potential.

Corvo is signed through 2009, so we have him to ourselves for an extra year.

Can we re-sign Stillman? Yes, he wants to retire as a Hurricane, and it's likely that us knowing that, we can get him a bit cheaper on a 2 or 3 year deal after he's done running at the Cup with Ottawa this summer.

All in all, not a bad trade. We got 2 guys who will likely be with the Canes for a lot longer than Stillman and Commodore will be with the Sens. But the Sens don't mind; they grabbed these guys to bring a Cup to Ottawa THIS YEAR. Next year isn't in their plans right now.

Yea, if only we could get rid of Kaberle :unsure:

At the same time your right, we need a shutdown defenseman.

If we can get rid of Kabs and get Liles as a replacement AND get a decent shutdown defense man, than IMO the D would be all set. If Wesley doesn't retire that will be great cause he can teach the young D.

I agree with your post 100%. My family and hockey friends are tired of hearing me say "if we could just get rid of Kabs and dump his 2.2 million dollar salary"---of course this is a fantasy right now, not a reality.

I pray that Wesley does not retire this year and will be around one last year for our young D men to learn from.

I think that is exactly right. This system needs at least two puck-movers to be at optimal efficiency and at least one has to be fairly steady on D. Kaberle hasn't been and for those that haven't seen Corvo, he isn't either I'm sorry to say.

He always had sheltered minutes in Ottawa but will thrive on the PP here so there is a trade-off. He will remind you of a speedy forward with what he can do with the puck but, and I hate to say it but it's true will remind you of Ozolinsh on D. Corvo is a good talent to have on your 3rd pairing but if he gets top 4 mins. at even strength, you're begging for trouble.

Liles isn't as good offensively as Corvo and though not a stand-out defensively, he is better. They'd both be good but you still have to replace Commodore physical play. That means somebody will be cranking up the Aaron Ward return-to-Raleigh rumors soon. ;)

Can we re-sign Stillman? Yes, he wants to retire as a Hurricane, and it's likely that us knowing that, we can get him a bit cheaper on a 2 or 3 year deal after he's done running at the Cup with Ottawa this summer.

All in all, not a bad trade. We got 2 guys who will likely be with the Canes for a lot longer than Stillman and Commodore will be with the Sens. But the Sens don't mind; they grabbed these guys to bring a Cup to Ottawa THIS YEAR. Next year isn't in their plans right now.

Well said, Im glad that we are thinking for the future instead of just this year.

Corvo was arrested in November 2002 in Boston after he grabbed a 34-year-old woman's buttocks in a restaurant. Restaurant staff told him to leave, but Corvo returned, punched the woman and then kicked her when she fell to the ground, police said. Corvo was given a three-year suspended sentence after he pleaded guilty to assault. Corvo was also suspended for three games by the Kings.

Not quite the type of toughness this team needs, but it'll work.

Wonder which player (if anyone) will wear the "A" now that Cory's gone. I personally would like to see Scott Walker get the "A" if it's assigned.

Agree it ought to be Scott Walker.

However if they follow past history it will be Brett Hedican.

why do I want to see us trade cole? Well that's because he's an injury prone inconsistent player who is always one hit away from a career ending injury that would count against our cap till his contract is up who still has enough upside that a team is still willing to give up a lot to get him.

I'd much rather trade Cole for a player who might not be as talented but brings his A or B game every night who won't spend long periods of time on the IR every year than to have someone who will be a game changer once every ten or more games who is a liability every other game.

that applies to every single player in professional sports. it only takes one hit no matter what shape you're in.

that applies to every single player in professional sports. it only takes one hit no matter what shape you're in.

The odds for Cole are exponentially higher than anyone else in the game right now because of his previous history with neck injuries.

With Cole, you're taking a much greater risk of losing a top player for a very long time, if not permanently, by playing him. Its very much like Eric Lindros in Philadelphia. One injury started the snowball effect. We almost saw his time here in Carolina ended permanently earlier this year playing the Panthers. One more play like that and he might not be so lucky.

IMHO, better to trade him away now and actually get someone for him rather than keep him, have him injured and unable to ever play again and having to be forced to pay his salary and take the cap hit till the contract runs out with nobody playing in his place, especially if we have to live with this self-imposed Cap that JR has set in place.

Does it seem a little odd to anybody that we're giving 2 experienced Cup players to the number 1 team in our division? Hmmmm ... seems to me we've already accepted our fate for the season and we're helping out the Sens. Why else would the Sens bother trading with us? They certainly wouldn't want to be helping us out. :unsure:

Prediction: Ottawa(1) and Carolina(8) first round match up!

Canes in seven!

Don't forget we still have a great club!