The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

We arent talking about private matters off the ice here. Can we possibly give this guy a chance before we tar and feather him and send him to the glue factory with all the other whipping boys on this team?

Honestly folks...if the guy can clear the puck out of the zone and get it to the forwards so they can do their jobs, we've already won in this deal.

I am not suggesting that he is not a good guy and will not help!

Ottawa is a very classy organization and nobody was complaining?

Just stating the facts!

Wonder if Francis had a doing in getting Eaves:

From Luke's latest:

Eaves has one tenuous connection to Carolina. Hurricanes assistant general manager Ron Francis played in Pittsburgh for Eaves' father Mike, then a Penguins assistant coach and now the head coach at Wisconsin.

"I have met him, when my dad was coaching him in Pittsburgh," Patrick Eaves said. "I was just a teenager. I wouldn't say I know him that well."

Lol I guess you don't really like hanging around this board after all, do you? Stillman doesn't want to leave. It has been said many times in this topic that Stillman wants too retire here. JR said after the trade that Stillman is welcomed to come back. Its just, he's what Ottawa wanted in the trade along with Commodore since they wanted that kind of Defenseman.

So he waived his NTC because:

-1 He's taking one for his team

-2 He realizes at the same time Ottawa has a good chance of going far in the playoffs (so the third time could be a charm for a Stanley Cup).

thank you

i remember hearing that he didnt want to leave so i was confused abt this

thanks for clearing it up

And the topic is?

Sounds like this thread is about done

The topic is talking about the two players we got today to try and help the Canes' many problems. :lol:

And the topic is?

Sounds like this thread is about done

don't let these classless posts end the good talk and debate that is making this thread a good one

You guys drop the curtain on these threads too quickly when this happens. Just clean up the **** and things will be ok

Ok, thread is re-opening but only for discussion of the trade today. If the personal lives of the players get dragged into this thread again, it will get closed for good. There's been some great discussion and lot of good information shared about all the players involved, lets keep it to just that.

Ok, thread is re-opening but only for discussion of the trade today. If the personal lives of the players get dragged into this thread again, it will get closed for good. There's been some great discussion and lot of good information shared about all the players involved, lets keep it to just that.

Can we discuss Murray's comment on Corvo and Raleigh's atmosphere?

If it isnt about anyones private life...sure. ;)

Can we discuss Murray's comment on Corvo and Raleigh's atmosphere?

Stillman is getting close to retirement, and see that the Canes aren't a serious contender this year it was a smart move to find some return for him. I would have pushed for someone other then Corvo, maybe a draft pick or a young defensman in the minors, but oh well.

I didn't really like that Murray basically said he only likes guys who perform under the pressure of the Canadian attention. He is basically calling out not liking Corvo for that reason. If Corvo wants the typical American market where he won't be hounded (too much) while he is out Raleigh is perfect for him. As long as he is nice to the fans for the most part it shall be okay.

I think he means that Raleigh isn't consumed in hockey like they are in Canada. Us Caniacs may be passionate, but that's about it...as much as I hate to say it.

The guys on 99.9 had a great point about the way in which JR handled this whole situation. Yes, we may lose Stillman and Commodore for the rest of the season and possibly permanently, but this whole thing may pay off in dividends later on in ways we can't imagine right now.

JR is getting the kind of reputation around the league as the kind of GM you want to play for. He always keeps you in the loop, he always lets you know when your name is being floated around in trades, and he makes sure you are completely OK with what is happening. Prime example, he had been meeting with Stillman regularly for about a month discussing with him the possibilities of what could happen with him this season. Long before this was finalized, JR knew the teams that Stillman wanted to go to if he had to be traded, and he worked with him to make sure it would be a good fit for Stillman. And now he has the chance to head to Ottawa to compete for the Cup and then possibly come back here next year afterwards.

Whats the most important part about that is that now Stillman is leaving Raleigh with a good feeling. He is not feeling at all slighted about what we've done, he still has the utmost respect for JR and the Canes and he still loves Raleigh as a city to live. You better believe he's sharing those thoughts and feelings with his new teammates over the last bit of this season. And you better believe people like Ron Francis and Glen Wesley did too when we rented them out for a Cup run a few years back. Now it might not be immediate, but you have to bet that someday it'll come to the point where players will start leaning toward signing here in Carolina just because they have the chance to play in an environment like this, for a guy like JR and to live in a city like Raleigh. As I said, it might not happen this year, but it will happen, and when it does, we'll reap the reward.

It wasn't a knock to Raleigh or the popularity in Carolina, nor was it even a praise of Ottawa and the hockey atmosphere up here.

When a team is performing well, fans in nontraditional markets more then likely talk about hockey close to as much as they do in traditional markets. The main difference is when the team is not performing. When nontraditional teams aren't performing its (most) fans slowly divert their attention to something else and away from hockey. I don't live in Raleigh, or any other nontraditional market, so I don't know how accurate this claim is, but if it is anything like the lack of traffic we see in this forum when the Canes are struggling there might be some truth to it.

It's the total opposite in traditional markets. Sometimes, hockey talk explodes when a team starts to struggling, because fans become irate and want answer. Murray was basically saying that Corvo doesn't seem to like that pressure and cannot handle it. This isn't really a praise of traditional fans either. Many hockey players will tell you that if you play in a Canadian city, and aren't performing well, DO NOT TURN ON THE RADIO OR TELEVISION because the things you hear about yourself won't make you feel any better.

I believe Joe Corvo is going to be a HUGE ASSET to this Canes Team!

Patrick Eaves, I have not heard or seen anything on him. Have to wait and see.?

As much I loved Commodore (have his jersey) he hadn't been playing up to his potential this season! But he is a UFA at the end of this season, and could come back to Carolina next season!

Stillman put up some great numbers for Carolina! He is a UFA at the end of this season too, I think he has a better chance of coming back to Carolina next season, being he gave up his "no trade clause" and really loved the Raleigh area! I think he and JR worked out a deal on the side :P