The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

I mean seriously, for as many people as there are in Raleigh, the Cup Parade turnout was embarrassing.

I'm not sure I'd use that as a comparitive for a city that never really had a professional sport team. We've managed to be around 15th in NHL attendance out of 30 since moving to the RBC center.

Since we've been leading the Devils in attendance the last few years and they won 3 cups in 10 years does that mean they werent a hockey market? We aren't an original six team, but we arent exactly slouches either.

Well no way I am reading 19 pages of this thread tonight so if this has been said I'm sorry...

The way I see it Stiller left on a good note with plenty of notice and talking to from JR... We got Patrick Eaves for him AND the distinct possibility that we could sign Stiller back here in July and Still have Eaves for the future. A definite win for us....

Corvo and Commo are a little different as we have just moved some of our liability around. Mike took some bad penalties and would get out of position, Corvo needs to be on a line with a "responsible" stay at home guy. The thing he will give us is the point on the Power play... The bad part is I have had Corvo on my fantasy team so do I keep him now??????

And JR thinks his job is hard....

Boy, it seems like forever ago that we had a thread about the value of our guys in a trade, but it was only Jan 18. In it I said that Commie was a good one to trade because I didn't think he would be back next year anyway. It seemed like he got along with everyone and he was certainly a fan favorite but I never got the impression that he was strongly interested in remaining a Cane after his contract.

On the other hand, I definitely had the impression that Stillman really likes (hopefully not past tense) it here. He is the kind of player that make his line-mates better and I, for one, hope that he and JR intend for this to just be a rental to give Stillman another shot at the Cup (and get us an additional player that we might be able to put to good use for next year :rolleyes: ). I haven't given up all hope for this year, but I have to admit that things are not going as well as I had hoped.

No offense, but I am okay with Commie being traded but I hope Stillman is back next year. If they are gone for good, then "Fair winds and following seas" to them. And THANKS.

I'm not sure I'd use that as a comparitive for a city that never really had a professional sport team. We've managed to be around 15th in NHL attendance out of 30 since moving to the RBC center.

Since we've been leading the Devils in attendance the last few years and they won 3 cups in 10 years does that mean they werent a hockey market? We aren't an original six team, but we arent exactly slouches either.

First major professional sports title in the state of North Carolina (and South Carolina if you want to count the Carolinas) and we only get a few thousand people? Thats embarrassing...

If the Panthers or the Bobcats were to ever win it all, you'd see at least a few hundred thousand crowding the streets of Charlotte for the parade... What we saw for the Canes was pathetic

No, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind being in a city where the media and fans don't focus on the team until they get to the playoffs, and even when they do, its only a relatively small minority of the city...

I mean seriously, for as many people as there are in Raleigh, the Cup Parade turnout was embarrassing.

Which parade, the first one or the second one? I went to first one, but couldn't get off work twice in a week in order to go to the second one. I thought the first one was a hit. Tailgating, partying, high fiving the players as they drove by. Try doing that in NY or Boston along the well policed parade route.

I don't know how any of us would be able to manage in a top market. Look at all the (allegedly) great players that go to New York and then suck it big time.....Jagr, Robitaille. Cullen appears not to have enjoyed his time there. There is something to be said about being in a community that allows you to breathe and live a NORMAL life.

I'll say it both players, like I did to Sergei at the Skate with the Canes event, (in my typical midwest accent):

Welcome to Raleigh!

A bad trade. We give up two veterans for two soft players. Like we weren't soft enough, already. With Stillman being traded and Eaves still hurting, it appears that Rutherford and the rest of management have given up on this season. In a way, I can't blame them, given the way that this team has been playing. However, giving up our fourth leading point producer will not help our anemic recent goal production. We are already shorthanded offensively. Who is going take Stillman's place on our top line, Wade Brookbank? I predict that this team will end up second to last in the Eastern Conference.

The real change that this team needs is in coaching.

I upgraded to a 24 game plan this year with premium seats. Anyone want to buy my tickets to the remaining 8 games in my package? I certainly will not be renewing my package for next year.

A bad trade. We give up two veterans for two soft players. Like we weren't soft enough, already. With Stillman being traded and Eaves still hurting, it appears that Rutherford and the rest of management have given up on this season. In a way, I can't blame them, given the way that this team has been playing. However, giving up our fourth leading point producer will not help our anemic recent goal production. We are already shorthanded offensively. Who is going take Stillman's place on our top line, Wade Brookbank? I predict that this team will end up second to last in the Eastern Conference.

I upgraded to a 24 game plan this year with premium seats. Anyone want to buy my tickets to the remaining 8 games in my package? I certainly will not be renewing my package for next year.

Stillman had not been playing like a top forward on any team lately. Stillman wasn't really on the top line but we were using him as a top 6 forward. Ladd is going to get his time to shine, and we will see how that goes. Watch out for Eaves to get a few shots on the top lines once he is completely healthy.

I bet you also thought we were going to be the worst team in the league heading into the 2005-2006 season because of all the minor 'tweaking' to the roster that didn't net us any big name players, only the soft, weak rejects of other teams...

As I said in the other thread, I have faith in what JR is doing. 9 times out of 10 he comes out on the good side of any trade he makes. I'm thinking this will be another...

If I lived in Raleigh, sure. :)

Seriously though, even if the Canes lost, I'd still be a STH. You know they'll be cheap since they have losing seasons. j/k

But again, I would still be a STH. It's hockey, it's enjoyable. You watch the Canes get good, then crap, then rebuild in 2 years, then win, then crap, etc.. You don't just throw em away cause they suck again.

Aside from all the positives and negatives already posted, I like the fact that the trade finally adds new Indians to all the Chiefs we already have in the lineup.

If I lived in Raleigh, sure. :)

Seriously though, even if the Canes lost, I'd still be a STH. You know they'll be cheap since they have losing seasons. j/k

But again, I would still be a STH. It's hockey, it's enjoyable. You watch the Canes get good, then crap, then rebuild in 2 years, then win, then crap, etc.. You don't just throw em away cause they suck again.

A True Fan sticks by their Team in good times and bad times!

Well no way I am reading 19 pages of this thread tonight so if this has been said I'm sorry...

The way I see it Stiller left on a good note with plenty of notice and talking to from JR... We got Patrick Eaves for him AND the distinct possibility that we could sign Stiller back here in July and Still have Eaves for the future. A definite win for us....

Corvo and Commo are a little different as we have just moved some of our liability around. Mike took some bad penalties and would get out of position, Corvo needs to be on a line with a "responsible" stay at home guy. The thing he will give us is the point on the Power play... The bad part is I have had Corvo on my fantasy team so do I keep him now??????

And JR thinks his job is hard....

Don't hold your breathe on that....apparently Bettman really wants to implement the "Doug Weight" rule - stating that a playing cannot sign back with the team he was trade from at the deadline for an entire year.

Tell me about it. I was a Yankees fan BEFORE 96 and a Knicks fan. Need I say more on the latter???

First major professional sports title in the state of North Carolina (and South Carolina if you want to count the Carolinas) and we only get a few thousand people? Thats embarrassing...

Firt of all, were you at this parade? I was, as were about 30,000 other Canes fans. Thats hardly a few thousand. The place was jammed packed and one heck of a good time. Sorry you missed it.

Back on topic....

Cant wait to see Corvo in action tomorrow night and I wonder who he'll be paired with. Hope the "break in period" doesnt last too long, it'd be great to see him follow the same route as Samsanov and come out of the gates flying.

Firt of all, were you at this parade? I was, as were about 30,000 other Canes fans. Thats hardly a few thousand. The place was jammed packed and one heck of a good time. Sorry you missed it.

Back on topic....

Cant wait to see Corvo in action tomorrow night and I wonder who he'll be paired with. Hope the "break in period" doesnt last too long, it'd be great to see him follow the same route as Samsanov and come out of the gates flying.

Aside from all the positives and negatives already posted, I like the fact that the trade finally adds new Indians to all the Chiefs we already have in the lineup.

I've always wondered if Natives/First nations people find that metaphor offensive?

Don't hold your breathe on that....apparently Bettman really wants to implement the "Doug Weight" rule - stating that a playing cannot sign back with the team he was trade from at the deadline for an entire year.

and if he did, the NHLPA would never allow it to apply for the current offseason... He'd have to make the rule start in the 2008-2009 season, thus making it ok that Stiller could come back here this offseason...

But I agree... The whole rental thing needs to be done away with... but then again, when you can pillage the youth and prospects of other teams by renting out your players when you're out of it, why not?

unfortunately I agree here. It seems like JR gave up on this season by doing this. In 06 he got two big names and reached into his pocket for them(weight,Recchi) because he knew we had a chance at the cup. I think he knows we're a bust this year so he gives up 2 key Carolina players. I can't beleive anyone can be down on stillman cause he's had a scoring slump for the last month. The bottom line is we lost a top 4 scorer and gained a guy who might be good one day. I agree something big had to be done on defense, but why not start with Kaberle,Wallin,Seidenberg. Commodore is better than all of them. I hope he has something bigger planned with this and suprises us with Stillmans real replacement. I like JR and he hasn't really let us down much, I hope he knows what he's doing.

No, I was not there, I was in summer classes at VT at the time...

but that being said, I find it hard to fathom that we could only get 30k to show up for a Championship Parade. Heck, you have twice that many people show up to Carter-Finley every week to watch NC State play the likes of Western Carolina, yet you can't get that many to show up to the exact same area to celebrate the first major professional sports title in North Carolina history?

I'm sorry, but thats just not right... it should be better than that, and I was more than slightly embarrassed that it wasn't. I mean there were parts of the parade where the line was only 2 or 3 people deep, if that...

By the way... I love ESPN's continual underhanded jabs at the Canes and their franchise.

Case in point, you know how at the bottom of every story there is now a section where fans can voice their opinions over any story. Well for this one, there are about 50 or so comments, both for the Sens and how great it is for them, and also for the Canes and how this was a logical trade for us as well...

Here are the 3 ESPN decides to use as part of the main story:

47 comments on "Stillman, Commodore headed to Ottawa after trade from Car..."

SjsharksSFgiantsNinersFan

SjsharksSFgiantsNinersFan (7 hours ago)

WOW! Stillman to the Senators. What a steal for the Senators. Are the canes tring to dig themselves a bigger hole? AWESOME deal for the Senators... BAD for the Canes.

Buttertartfart

Buttertartfart (8 hours ago)

The strong get stronger !!!

JaysSensRapsLions

JaysSensRapsLions (8 hours ago)

I absolutely love this trade. Corvo has been terrible this year, and with Alfie playing the point on the PP he surely won't be missed. Commodore is exactly the kind of player you want for the playoffs. Along with Phillips, Redden, Volchenkov, and Meszaros, the added depth on the blue line makes Ottawa the clear cut favourite in the East going into April, so long as either Emery or Gerber show up. Also, if Stillman and Fisher can connect, the top two lines are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

No, I was not there, I was in summer classes at VT at the time...

but that being said, I find it hard to fathom that we could only get 30k to show up for a Championship Parade. Heck, you have twice that many people show up to Carter-Finley every week to watch NC State play the likes of Western Carolina, yet you can't get that many to show up to the exact same area to celebrate the first major professional sports title in North Carolina history?

I'm sorry, but thats just not right... it should be better than that, and I was more than slightly embarrassed that it wasn't. I mean there were parts of the parade where the line was only 2 or 3 people deep, if that...

I think the parades and stuff were a great turn out. What does grind my gears about this town is walking into a bar and having crap college basketball on or football from 20 states away on instead of our only Major league professional team.

Thats embarassing. You can gurantee if they make the playoffs and start winning it will be on in the bars though.

Man I hate basketball, bunch of little girls.

I've always wondered if Natives/First nations people find that metaphor offensive?

I am sure there are a few AIM members who could find a reason to.

I bet you also thought we were going to be the worst team in the league heading into the 2005-2006 season because of all the minor 'tweaking' to the roster that didn't net us any big name players, only the soft, weak rejects of other teams...

As I said in the other thread, I have faith in what JR is doing. 9 times out of 10 he comes out on the good side of any trade he makes. I'm thinking this will be another...

You are comparing getting Corvo and Eaves to getting Recchi and Weight in 2006? You can't be serious??

In fact, I wrote a message to Barry Melrose in 2006 on how I thought that the Weight and Rechhi trades showed that the 'Canes were serious about winning the Cup, and he agreed. I'm sure that his opinion would not be the same about this trade.

No worry, Eaves was born in Canada ! So he is kinda Canadian ah :)

I'm thinking he must have dual citizenship then, because he played on the 2004 Juniors for Team USA, which won the World Jrs title. He'd be too young to have gone through the whole citizenship process.

A bad trade. We give up two veterans for two soft players. Like we weren't soft enough, already. I upgraded to a 24 game plan this year with premium seats. Anyone want to buy my tickets to the remaining 8 games in my package? I certainly will not be renewing my package for next year.

My mini violin is playing. Here's to those of us who bought season tickets in 2002-2003, and 2003-2004 when we really and truly stunk up the joint. I'll take those tickets anyday. How much?

Go Cubbies!!!!!!!! Please, in my lifetime!!!!

By the way... I love ESPN's continual underhanded jabs at the Canes and their franchise.

Case in point, you know how at the bottom of every story there is now a section where fans can voice their opinions over any story. Well for this one, there are about 50 or so comments, both for the Sens and how great it is for them, and also for the Canes and how this was a logical trade for us as well...

Here are the 3 ESPN decides to use as part of the main story:

47 comments on "Stillman, Commodore headed to Ottawa after trade from Car..."

SjsharksSFgiantsNinersFan

SjsharksSFgiantsNinersFan (7 hours ago)

WOW! Stillman to the Senators. What a steal for the Senators. Are the canes tring to dig themselves a bigger hole? AWESOME deal for the Senators... BAD for the Canes.

Buttertartfart

Buttertartfart (8 hours ago)

The strong get stronger !!!

JaysSensRapsLions

JaysSensRapsLions (8 hours ago)

I absolutely love this trade. Corvo has been terrible this year, and with Alfie playing the point on the PP he surely won't be missed. Commodore is exactly the kind of player you want for the playoffs. Along with Phillips, Redden, Volchenkov, and Meszaros, the added depth on the blue line makes Ottawa the clear cut favourite in the East going into April, so long as either Emery or Gerber show up. Also, if Stillman and Fisher can connect, the top two lines are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Corvo is terrible? Mmmhmm...the fact that he can score on the PP on a regular basis is a HUGE plus for us.

Maybe with the pressure off of him a bit Joe can focus on being awesome :D