The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

The problem is, it still doesn't help us defensively. If anything, it makes us even worse defensively. However, Corvo has over double the amount of points Commodore does, so it'll hopefully be a great improvement offensively.

Perhaps we'll just score more goals than we'll give up now.

Exactly. Corvo is a decent player. Eaves has the tag of " young talent" he has been scratched multiple times by the Sens this year. If he can start playing up to his potential great. If not. I think the Canes may have lost a couple decent players for 1 decent player. I know Com and Cory were UFA's at the end of the year. I just hope this pans out for the Canes. As much as I hate Ottawa.

You are comparing getting Corvo and Eaves to getting Recchi and Weight in 2006? You can't be serious??

In fact, I wrote a message to Barry Melrose in 2006 on how I thought that the Weight and Rechhi trades showed that the 'Canes were serious about winning the Cup, and he agreed. I'm sure that his opinion would not be the same about this trade.

Of course we're not trying to win the Cup... any aspirations of doing so this year are a pipe dream, nothing more, nothing less...

That being said, keeping Stillman and Commodore around this year was going to do nothing to help get us a Cup in the future, especially if they left at the end of the year via free agency, so we upgraded and traded them away. Funny thing is, if it works and we start clicking again, oh, whaddya know, we're only a point out of the playoffs right now... And if we don't, so what, we weren't headed there anyway with our play as of late...

This was a no-lose trade, but there is way too much doom and gloom about how horrible everyone thinks this is because we traded away 2 aging players for young talent. Yes, Corvo is 30, but he'll be good for us over the next few years as we get better, and it'll allow for us to kindly ask Hedican to step away at season's end.

Corvo is terrible? Mmmhmm...the fact that he can score on the PP on a regular basis is a HUGE plus for us.

Maybe with the pressure off of him a bit Joe can focus on being awesome :D

What I like is how they bash Corvo for being terrible this year, then welcome Commodore with open arms...

boy are they in for a surprise

What I like is how they bash Corvo for being terrible this year, then welcome Commodore with open arms...

boy are they in for a surprise

I was trying to explain this on the Sens board I am a part of. They are not big fans of Redden's terrible play as of late, and think pairing him with Commie will fix him. I doubled over in laughter at that. Like I said, I really hope it works out for them, but Commie really needs to step it up.

If you're looking for comments, Model, then go to tsn.ca and see the story there. About 200 comments I think, ~70% on how great the deal is for the Sens...about how great it is to get a "shutdown" Dman like Commodore...about how great it is to get a scorer like Stillman...etc. I swear none of them have watched a single 'Canes game since we beat them back in October...pathetic.

If you're looking for comments, Model, then go to tsn.ca and see the story there. About 200 comments I think, ~70% on how great the deal is for the Sens...about how great it is to get a "shutdown" Dman like Commodore...about how great it is to get a scorer like Stillman...etc. I swear none of them have watched a single 'Canes game since we beat them back in October...pathetic.

What I want to know is if he's such a great shut down dman, why havent we shut anyone down? Seriously.

What I want to know is if he's such a great shut down dman, why havent we shut anyone down? Seriously.

I bet you also thought we were going to be the worst team in the league heading into the 2005-2006 season because of all the minor 'tweaking' to the roster that didn't net us any big name players, only the soft, weak rejects of other team

You are comparing getting Corvo and Eaves to getting Recchi and Weight in 2006? You can't be serious??

Not quite sure that's a fair assessment as Model stated 'heading INTO the 05-06 season'. We didn't get Recchi and Weight until much, much later. But I think I understand your premise.

And you almost shoot yourself in the foot with your counter argument. If you feel JR did such a great job on those acquisitions, which Barry "the Mullet" Melrose agreed with, why do you think JR failed with this one? Also, how did you feel about the Samsonov pick up?

Well I guess I will be in the wait and see boat, I understand what both sides were trying to get out of it and I think both fans appreciate the effort of trying to get things going. I was a bit surprised that we got a deal with Ottawa, I was thinking we would be looking for a d-man in the west coast, not a team looking deep in the playoffs in our own conference where it could (assuming we do make the playoffs :rolleyes: ) come back and haunt us. Guessing this is about mid-way of the iceburg of trades( the tip being sammy / adams its not a trade but its in the same imo), depending on what happens next couple weeks, we could get to see the whole deal.

Oh TSA it's mind-boggling reading the comments...everyone thinks SO HIGHLY of Mike Commodore...even the people who have analyzed the trade on tsn, espn, si, etc. I mean dear God it's like he's the second coming of Scott Stevens...at least one would think that after reading all the comments. My personal fav...

"Ottawa wins this one easily. Commodore is one of the most underrated shut down defencemen out there. Adding him to the back end will only help their defensive game. Sens still have a plethora of offensive minded guys on the blueline which made this deal esay to pull off. Add to that, Stillman is an Eaves type player but with much better offensive skill. He will look great along side Fishcer. Great move by the Sens."

"Ottawa wins this one easily. Commodore is one of the most underrated shut down defencemen out there. Adding him to the back end will only help their defensive game. Great move by the Sens."

Only IF Commodore WANTS to be there. He was SO ready to leave Carolina. I think he just purposely screwed around to get traded.

Oh TSA it's mind-boggling reading the comments...everyone thinks SO HIGHLY of Mike Commodore...even the people who have analyzed the trade on tsn, espn, si, etc. I mean dear God it's like he's the second coming of Scott Stevens...at least one would think that after reading all the comments. My personal fav...

"Ottawa wins this one easily. Commodore is one of the most underrated shut down defencemen out there. Adding him to the back end will only help their defensive game. Sens still have a plethora of offensive minded guys on the blueline which made this deal esay to pull off. Add to that, Stillman is an Eaves type player but with much better offensive skill. He will look great along side Fishcer. Great move by the Sens."

Dear Ottawa

Just a friendly warning that I'm about to slap you in the face

Signed,

Reality

I think this is an awsome trade and here is why...

Age: Stillman is 35 nearing the end, and we get a 23 year old winger who despite some injury concern has alot of upside. Commodore (28) we swaped for Corvo (31) but we have alot of youth on Defense waiting in the wings with a great prospect in Casey Borer.

Production: Corvo is a +13 opposed to Commodores +2...granted you cant buy into +/- to much it does speak volumes for production and Commodore has a knack for taking costly penalties (74 min as opposed to Corvos 18min) We have a pretty sound group of inforcers on our team with Brookbank and Walker not shy dropping the gloves and Gleason is starting to get into it alittle bit. Plus I dont know about most of you but seeing Commodore slide as of late when our maturing Goal tender is realy stepping it up is unsettling. He was -3 vs the Devils and has been -1 or even in the last 5. On top of that he was lacksidasical in the Nashville game and ruined what I thought was one of Cams best performances of the season allowing a 3 on 1 odd man rush.

Eaves has alot of upside and this trade reminds me alot of aquiring a "injury prone" Justin Williams from the Flyers. Eaves is 23, he just needs to bulk up alittle bit and he will do a much better job of staying healthy. Hes a Grinder who can skate and has pretty good hands...did I mention hes only 23. Stillman was a smart player that had a knack for the big play, oh game of of the buffalo series that OT goal was sick. But Stiller is starting to lose a step and his savvy isent enough to overcome the passage of time. At the age of 35 the body heals slower so injurys seem to linger, I think we have seen alot of that this season. Stillman started out the season Hot and as the grind of Hockey wore on him his production lopped off. I love Corey and what he did for our team but seeing some youth on this roster is very refreshing. Losing one vetern scorer is not that big of a deal for a team that boasts so many veteren forwards.

Overall: The Sens are making a cup run and just the like the canes in 06 are aquiring the veteran peices they need to be legitimate contenders. The Canes however are in a position where they can afford to sacrafice alittle experience because they are desperate for youth. Both Stillman and Commodore will do great in Ottowa and I think both Eaves and Corvo will fit nicely in Carolina. Corvos skill matchs our offense alot better than Ottowas and I think Commodore is the hard nose defender the Sens have been longing for. All the while Eaves provides youth to one of the oldest rosters in the league while Stillman ads some Savvy to a team with very few rings.

Only IF Commodore WANTS to be there. He was SO ready to leave Carolina. I think he just purposely screwed around to get traded.

You sure about that, I had some drinks with him a few months ago and he said he loved it here and was happy to have a secure job here for now. He said the fans during the cup run were unbelivable and he loved it and felt like this was home. where did you get your info about him wanting to leave so bad?

I just think it sucks for Stillman because he said plenty of time's that we wanted to retire in Carolina and he's just gona be missed, but we all understand the business side of it, I just hope this works.

And what stops him from retiring and moving back to the Old North State? My dad retired from the Marine Corps and move back here. We need a change and it was not going to come cheap. Sure there were lots of other guys to trade but none worth cut bait to get a very good player. IMHO :P

I just think it sucks for Stillman because he said plenty of time's that we wanted to retire in Carolina and he's just gona be missed, but we all understand the business side of it, I just hope this works.

We might get him back after this season so... dont worry... but i hope he retires here to.

We'll see how much Sens fans love Commodore when he take stupid penalty after stupid penalty. Plus for some reason he'll be commanding a hefty raise this year and the return will definitely not be worth the investment.

In the long run we definitely got the better deal. Corvo and Eaves are both young and definitely have a bigger upside at this point in their careers. Plus who says we can't pick Stillman up as a free agent? I just hope Eaves can get healthy, even if it means shutting him down for the rest of the season at some point.

If I lived in Raleigh, sure. :)

Seriously though, even if the Canes lost, I'd still be a STH. You know they'll be cheap since they have losing seasons. j/k

But again, I would still be a STH. It's hockey, it's enjoyable. You watch the Canes get good, then crap, then rebuild in 2 years, then win, then crap, etc.. You don't just throw em away cause they suck again.

Amen to that. For all of us who struggled through the 02/03 and 03/04 seasons. The very definiiton of fairweather fans always burns me up.

Time to get off the band wagon. They will be back when we shine again as we will.

By the way... I love ESPN's continual underhanded jabs at the Canes and their franchise.

Case in point, you know how at the bottom of every story there is now a section where fans can voice their opinions over any story. Well for this one, there are about 50 or so comments, both for the Sens and how great it is for them, and also for the Canes and how this was a logical trade for us as well...

Here are the 3 ESPN decides to use as part of the main story:

47 comments on "Stillman, Commodore headed to Ottawa after trade from Car..."

SjsharksSFgiantsNinersFan

SjsharksSFgiantsNinersFan (7 hours ago)

WOW! Stillman to the Senators. What a steal for the Senators. Are the canes tring to dig themselves a bigger hole? AWESOME deal for the Senators... BAD for the Canes.

Buttertartfart

Buttertartfart (8 hours ago)

The strong get stronger !!!

JaysSensRapsLions

JaysSensRapsLions (8 hours ago)

I absolutely love this trade. Corvo has been terrible this year, and with Alfie playing the point on the PP he surely won't be missed. Commodore is exactly the kind of player you want for the playoffs. Along with Phillips, Redden, Volchenkov, and Meszaros, the added depth on the blue line makes Ottawa the clear cut favourite in the East going into April, so long as either Emery or Gerber show up. Also, if Stillman and Fisher can connect, the top two lines are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

It's laughable that someone would even mention the word ESPN and Hockey in the same breath. They were probably too busy airing a Poker Tournament to even comment on this trade.

It's laughable that someone would even mention the word ESPN and Hockey in the same breath. They were probably too busy airing a Poker Tournament to even comment on this trade.

True, but Burnside's article paints the trade as a win-win for both teams. It's actually pretty much on target, which coming from ESPN, doesn't happen often! http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3241578' target="_blank">Burnside[/post]

We'll see how much Sens fans love Commodore when he take stupid penalty after stupid penalty. Plus for some reason he'll be commanding a hefty raise this year and the return will definitely not be worth the investment.

In the long run we definitely got the better deal. Corvo and Eaves are both young and definitely have a bigger upside at this point in their careers. Plus who says we can't pick Stillman up as a free agent? I just hope Eaves can get healthy, even if it means shutting him down for the rest of the season at some point.

Commodore really had nobody else but himself to blame for getting traded. He has plenty of talent, but the mindless and self-indulgent penalties he took at critical times made him expendable. Even if he had those brain freezes but were providing bone-crushing hits on defense, he would never have been traded. His skill sets may well be more fit for the Senators; and I truly wish him well. Two years ago he was an essential part of the Hurricanes success. I thought last year he had a less than stellar performance overall. This year to me he was like two different players -- some games he was intense and saved games; while in other games he made poor decisions with the puck, had unfortunate penalties, and used poor positioning that cost the team games. To be fair, playing defense in the NHL is like being a corner back in the NFL. Mistakes are inevitable and at that position mistakes can and will cost a team games. One hopes that the player will avoid making the same mistake over and over without self-correcting it. Still I hope it is a good trade for both the Hurricanes and for Commodore. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him sign next year with the Hurricanes. Maybe the time with the Senators will give the Hurricanes management and Commodore each a chance to reassess. I suspect that the Hurricanes wish they had signed Aaron Ward, for example, and I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron Ward wished he had made enough concessions to stay.

Of course we're not trying to win the Cup... any aspirations of doing so this year are a pipe dream, nothing more, nothing less...

That being said, keeping Stillman and Commodore around this year was going to do nothing to help get us a Cup in the future, especially if they left at the end of the year via free agency, so we upgraded and traded them away. Funny thing is, if it works and we start clicking again, oh, whaddya know, we're only a point out of the playoffs right now... And if we don't, so what, we weren't headed there anyway with our play as of late...

This was a no-lose trade, but there is way too much doom and gloom about how horrible everyone thinks this is because we traded away 2 aging players for young talent. Yes, Corvo is 30, but he'll be good for us over the next few years as we get better, and it'll allow for us to kindly ask Hedican to step away at season's end.

I think that Corvo is soft of D and will not help this team. I do not see a bright future for this team.

Defense: Corvo, Wallin, Kaberle, Gleason, Seidenberg, Tanabe- Soft, no shut down defensivemen

Offense: Aging veterans- Brind 'Amour, Whitney, Walker

Goaltending- Very spotty

And one prima donna who is supposed to be the star of the team but only shows up for about half the games

Maybe we will get Tavares in the 2009 Draft.

No, I was not there, I was in summer classes at VT at the time...

but that being said, I find it hard to fathom that we could only get 30k to show up for a Championship Parade. Heck, you have twice that many people show up to Carter-Finley every week to watch NC State play the likes of Western Carolina, yet you can't get that many to show up to the exact same area to celebrate the first major professional sports title in North Carolina history?

I'm sorry, but thats just not right... it should be better than that, and I was more than slightly embarrassed that it wasn't. I mean there were parts of the parade where the line was only 2 or 3 people deep, if that...

I see. You feel you had a valid reason not to attend but have no qualms about ripping others for not attending? Had you paid closer attention you might know there were two parades and one was around the perimeter of the RBC. Not exactly the convenience of downtown of the luxury of the walk-to crowd. They had wanted to have it downtown but the Fayetteville St. construction was still underway so they had to look elsewhere.

They hold parades downtown b/c you are guaranteed to draw bigger crowds as many people working there spill out on the streets. I was in Denver one year the Avs won and we went to the parade just to be a part of it and the route was lined with business people out on their lunch break. I'm not trying to pick a fight but when you from afar try to tell those of us who buy tickets that we should pay more and then chastise fans for staying away while you did too, it undermines your own point. For the record, I would skipped classes in a heartbeat to travel to see the parade. But then again it didn't take much for me to skip college classes. ;)

Back to the trade though. It's important to keep in mind that although Corvo clearly adds the much needed dimensions of a puck-mover, a fluid skater with great stickhandling and a booming right-handed shot from the point, his defensive liabilities can't be hidden here as they were in Ottawa.

Without diminishing his offense, from all the times I have seen him play in LA and Ottawa he is just not good defensively (similar to Hutch) and makes tons of t/o's. So it's a pick your poison proposition. At even strength, he doesn't warrant more than 3rd pair mins. but you are playing with fire if he is paired with Kaberle. That would be reminiscent of the terrible pairing of Corvo-Preissing last year in Ottawa. So you either play Corvo and Kaberle in the last pair and hope the top 4 can carry the load - good luck with that. Or one of those two plays in the top 4.

Corvo will add value but the point is that with its current D roster, they still need another Dman. Gleason can probably cover for Corvo but then who is good enough defensively to cover for Kaberle. That's where it gets interesting. The trade was worthwhile in my view but the roster changes need to continue.