The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

I think that Corvo is soft of D and will not help this team. I do not see a bright future for this team.

Defense: Corvo, Wallin, Kaberle, Gleason, Seidenberg, Tanabe- Soft, no shut down defensivemen

Offense: Aging veterans- Brind 'Amour, Whitney, Walker

Goaltending- Very spotty

And one prima donna who is supposed to be the star of the team but only shows up for about half the games

Maybe we will get Tavares in the 2009 Draft.

The "prima donna" has been playing great the last couple of months. He may not always show it in the stats, but if you watch his total game, he has improved a lot.

I'm with you as far as no shut down defenseman, but I'm not convinced that JR is through dealing. This trade addresses a couple of needs for us now, including getting younger. We do need help on D, but Commodore hasn't been getting it done, between pinching at the wrong time and taking stupid penalties.

This team needed a shakeup. Everyone is now on notice.

unfortunatly its easy to criticize a goalie especially if you have never played goal before. I play goal in several leagues but I also play out occasionaly and trust me when I say this you can take the best goalie there is ( Broduer ) put him on a team with absolutly no defense whatso ever and he will also average 5 goals per game. Remember that puck has to get by 5 players before it gets to the goalie and the goalie cant do much if he cant see the puck or he has guys turning it over all the time or not covering the back door and clearing rebounds. Cam Ward is a great goalie and will only get better, but if he doesnt have defense in front of him or if he doesnt have confidence in his defense there is only so much he can do. If he doesnt have confidence in his defense then that means he has to completely change his style of play to offset the lack of defense, which means he will tend to anticipate plays more which in turn will lead to more mistakes. ITS A TEAM SPORT!!! Until he can have confidense in his D and concentrate on playing his game and not the Defenses game hes going to continue to have bad stats

"Cam Ward is a great goalie"

I disagree, he is an average goalie. He and Ryan Miller are the two most overrated goalies in the NHL, IMO.

You want Eaves to bulk up? Have him train with Brindamour. I can guarentee that would boost at least 10 lbs onto him.

Aging?? Brindamour (37), Walker (34), and Whitney (35) are sometimes the highlight of this team. Whitney leads the team with 50 points, followed by Brindamour with 49 and Walker provides the spark and isn't afraid to drop the gloves to protect his team.

Look at flippin' Chris Chelios! 46 years old, and he's still taking it toe to toe with guys HALF his age. AND Nic Lidstrom (37)... you can be "Aging" if you know how to train and take care of your body.

I like this trade because of Corvo, which can't destroy our PP anymore than anyone else at this point, and he takes less PIM than Commie, which should mean less PK time. Less "media" on him here, he'll be more at ease to walk around the city and feel fine. Let's at least give them the benefit of the doubt. Samsonov has been a good pick up for us. Brings us speed and he's made some points so far.

When Dougie Weight came here, how long was he pointless for? People were saying he was "Dead Weight" blah blah, so again, let's see how these two do before we throw them under, infront, and ontop of the bus.

My $.02

I didn't want to see Commie & Stiller traded but I'm for anything that will improve the team. As JR said a few weeks ago every one was a potential target for trade except Staal. I'm taking a wait & see attitude on the trades.

I see. You feel you had a valid reason not to attend but have no qualms about ripping others for not attending? Had you paid closer attention you might know there were two parades and one was around the perimeter of the RBC. Not exactly the convenience of downtown of the luxury of the walk-to crowd. They had wanted to have it downtown but the Fayetteville St. construction was still underway so they had to look elsewhere.

Its not that I didn't want to, I had a midterm exam the day of the parade during the parade that I couldn't get out of...

Hell, even if I did show up, its still an embarrassing crowd of only 30k

I have to agree. Cam is very inconsistent. One game he looks so good and nothing is getting by him. The next game, he is horrible. God I miss Gerb. If we still had Gerb and Cam again, we would be near the top of the East.

Back to topic....I don

Don't hold your breathe on that....apparently Bettman really wants to implement the "Doug Weight" rule - stating that a playing cannot sign back with the team he was trade from at the deadline for an entire year.

And because Buttman wants to do it means it will happen in the middle of a season? After a GM has made a move(s)? Thats not the way it works Hoyle and you should know that... The earliest we could see that would be 08-09 and then only with the approval and blessing of the NHLPA and CBA, which given the limitation on the Players to sign where they want, I don't think they will agree with. I firmly believe that Cory will be back here in July to finish his career but I could be wrong. He (gary) needs to spend some time using whiteout on the Instigator rule rather than worry about rental players IMO.

I didn't want to see Commie & Stiller traded but I'm for anything that will improve the team. As JR said a few weeks ago every one was a potential target for trade except Staal. I'm taking a wait & see attitude on the trades.

Agreed. For me, this is a lot simpler than all the analysis. This team needed to make this move and may need to make others if on-ice performance is going to improve this year. This is just a step in that direction, and frankly my only problem with it is that it didn't happen about a month ago.

Without diminishing his offense, from all the times I have seen him play in LA and Ottawa he is just not good defensively (similar to Hutch) and makes tons of t/o's. So it's a pick your poison proposition. At even strength, he doesn't warrant more than 3rd pair mins. but you are playing with fire if he is paired with Kaberle. That would be reminiscent of the terrible pairing of Corvo-Preissing last year in Ottawa. So you either play Corvo and Kaberle in the last pair and hope the top 4 can carry the load - good luck with that. Or one of those two plays in the top 4.

Corvo will add value but the point is that with its current D roster, they still need another Dman. Gleason can probably cover for Corvo but then who is good enough defensively to cover for Kaberle. That's where it gets interesting. The trade was worthwhile in my view but the roster changes need to continue.

How bout we actually wait to see them play a few games in a Canes uniform before we start ripping into our new players for bad play?

Seriously, you're probably one of those people who were furious heading into the 2005-2006 season that we didn't pick up any big name help and only picked up a bunch of forwards that wouldn't crack the top 2 lines on any other team, and then ripped JR for getting Samsonov because he only had 4 points on the year before we signed him...

In the end it comes down to this... I trust JR's eyesight for talent and the fit for this team much more than I trust anyone's opinion on here

Its not that I didn't want to, I had a midterm exam the day of the parade during the parade that I couldn't get out of...

Hell, even if I did show up, its still an embarrassing crowd of only 30k

And people have jobs and classes and Drs appts and children to take care of and need parents to take them and broken legs and hangnails and, and, and....

Its kindof like voting Model... If you didnt bother to show up don't complain about the results ;) . I will give you this, at least you admitted not attending either event because if everyone that I have seen "claim" they were there, had actually been there, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now just to keep this on topic... I hope Model and I can celebrate at the 08 SC championship at the Parade with Joe and Patrick.

I agree something big had to be done on defense, but why not start with Kaberle,Wallin,Seidenberg. Commodore is better than all of them. I hope he has something bigger planned with this and suprises us with Stillmans real replacement. I like JR and he hasn't really let us down much, I hope he knows what he's doing.

You don't understand the value aspect of a trade do you? I'm sorry, but theres post like this that annoy me. Besides, why would you trade Seidenberg? Have you seen his +/- rating? Where the heck have you been? The guy has been great for us. Its a shame he's had such a long injury.

My only problem with this trade is a minor one. I really enjoyed the RBC Center's announcer when he was yelling "COORRRYYY STILLLLLMANNNN!" over the PA. :lol:

Somehow, "PATRICK EAVES!" or "JOE CORVO!" don't have the same ring to it.

My only problem with this trade is a minor one. I really enjoyed the RBC Center's announcer when he was yelling "COORRRYYY STILLLLLMANNNN!" over the PA. :lol:

Well...as long as we hear them both lots and lots....I do not care how they announce it.

I think Corvo has some announcer potential:

"JOOOOOOOOOOOOOE COORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I think Corvo has some announcer potential:

"JOOOOOOOOOOOOOE COORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

His last name might work, but I think "Joe" is just too short. It might work out like Commodore did. The first name would just be a short burst, and then "COR-VOOOOOO!"

Heres the sad but true of this,

if Corvo doesnt score tonight he's going to have at least 20 posters instantly hate him

if he does score people are going to expect him to score every night and when he doesnt their going to be ticked

if he gets an assist everyone will think we need more help

and if he brutally makes a mistake people will suggest pairing him with kaberle in the luxury box.

edit: I have no idea why I originally quoted Icefrog999 in this post.

unfortunately I agree here. It seems like JR gave up on this season by doing this. In 06 he got two big names and reached into his pocket for them(weight,Recchi) because he knew we had a chance at the cup. I think he knows we're a bust this year so he gives up 2 key Carolina players. I can't beleive anyone can be down on stillman cause he's had a scoring slump for the last month. The bottom line is we lost a top 4 scorer and gained a guy who might be good one day. I agree something big had to be done on defense, but why not start with Kaberle,Wallin,Seidenberg. Commodore is better than all of them. I hope he has something bigger planned with this and suprises us with Stillmans real replacement. I like JR and he hasn't really let us down much, I hope he knows what he's doing.

No way you can compare this year to the 05-06 year. Two years ago, we had already strung together two 9 game win streaks, we led the division by alot all year, we even clinched the division pretty early. This year we have what strung together a 3 game win streak like twice. We win one, lose two. We aren't even in the playoffs right now. Acquiring Weight and Recchi gave the team the extra push to be cup winners.

Stillman/Commodore are not going to win you a cup. Corvo/Eaves are not going to win you a cup. Sending off two Free Agents who may or may not re-sign for 2 players that will not only help now, but in the future, its not waving the white flag. Waving the right flag would be trading these guys for picks/prospects. JR went and got us the puck moving defenseman we desperatly need and have needed for the past 2 years. Not only that we got a Top 6 forward who is only 23.

Yes it sucks to lose 2 good guys who were a part of that cup run, but we needed change. We needed change not just for now, but for the future.

Actually, who takes the "A" now? Would Staal get a permanent "A" or would we give Cole a chance?

I was wondering the same thing. Excuse me for a moment while I show my stupidity..but "permanent" A? I didnt realize it was a temp thing..or am i just missing something?? :blink:

btw...Welcome aboard Corvo and Eaves!

\

First major professional sports title in the state of North Carolina (and South Carolina if you want to count the Carolinas) and we only get a few thousand people? Thats embarrassing...

If the Panthers or the Bobcats were to ever win it all, you'd see at least a few hundred thousand crowding the streets of Charlotte for the parade... What we saw for the Canes was pathetic

Once again you are wrong! the crowd at the RBC Center was pretty close to 50k, I was there and I have a good handle on head count. Can't speak about the parade downtown. you are delusional if you think a few hundred thousand would turn out in Charlotte, the only time that happens there is on race day and 90 per cent of those folks are from out of town and out of state!! IF Charlotte ever wins anything they won't turn out a crowd any larger than the one that was at the RBC Center.

I was wondering the same thing. Excuse me for a moment while I show my stupidity..but "permanent" A? I didnt realize it was a temp thing..or am i just missing something?? :blink:

\

I mean Staal gets the "A" for home and away games. If I remember correctly, he's only wearing it for the away games at the moment.

\

Staal only wears it for road games right now. I guess they meant they wonder if he will wear it all the time now.

No, I was not there, I was in summer classes at VT at the time...

but that being said, I find it hard to fathom that we could only get 30k to show up for a Championship Parade. Heck, you have twice that many people show up to Carter-Finley every week to watch NC State play the likes of Western Carolina, yet you can't get that many to show up to the exact same area to celebrate the first major professional sports title in North Carolina history?

I'm sorry, but thats just not right... it should be better than that, and I was more than slightly embarrassed that it wasn't. I mean there were parts of the parade where the line was only 2 or 3 people deep, if that...

You may not understand this but some people do work, it was the middle of the week so just bolting from work for 2-3 hours of tailgating and parade just isn't possible for most working folks. that being said why couldn't you have just cut class and drove down for both parades!! what is your excuse.