The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Yeah, but Commie also missed about 1/3 of the season due to injury, so it's not really a fair mathmatical comparison, not to mention Ottawa in general hasn't struggled like the Canes have...

There is no need to crunch numbers in this case or look at the standings. Corvo is obviously much better offensively than Commodore and he is a great skater. This is clearly evident if you have watched Corvo play.

Eaves has shown signs of being a productive player. His main problem has been injuries that have hampered him to getting into anykind of rythem. Corvo is a puck carrying offensive minded d-man with the occasional defensive lapse.

I look at this deal from a few points.

One, Canes aquire a defensman with a couple years left on his deal.

Two, Eaves may turn out to be an asset, maybe not.

Three, Stillman has looked old and been injury prone. It is a step in the right direction to get younger. I think it would be a mistake to re-sign him at the end of the year. This team needs to get younger.

Four, Commodore is average at best and he is an URFA.

Eaves has shown signs of being a productive player. His main problem has been injuries that have hampered him to getting into anykind of rythem. Corvo is a puck carrying offensive minded d-man with the occasional defensive lapse.

I look at this deal from a few points.

One, Canes aquire a defensman with a couple years left on his deal.

Two, Eaves may turn out to be an asset, maybe not.

Three, Stillman has looked old and been injury prone. It is a step in the right direction to get younger. I think it would be a mistake to re-sign him at the end of the year. This team needs to get younger.

Four, Commodore is average at best and he is an URFA.

Excellent synopsis. Our veteran player roster experiment is hopefully over.

hey guy sens fan here. Just thought i would let you know a little about Eaves and Corvo.

ive always considered Patty Eaves a hungry player, Works well down low, he grinds, he can pass, he has under rated hands and he can finish his consistancy. He is a 2nd line player but can fill in on the top line and not look out of place. Im sad to see him go, hes a real pleasure to watch.

Joe Corvo is a great offensive defenceman. He makes any power play better. He has an amazingly accurate shot and hes got amazing hands for a defenceman. Get ready to be amazed when he desides to skate with the puck down low. But im not going to lie...He is not very good in his own zone, Give aways are a serious issue with Joe. He often skates with his head down and gives the puck away or gets nailed. I hope you have a GOOD defensive defenceman that he can play with.

Good luck with Patty and Joe guys!

hey guy sens fan here. Just thought i would let you know a little about Eaves and Corvo.

ive always considered Patty Eaves a hungry player, Works well down low, he grinds, he can pass, he has under rated hands and he can finish his consistancy. He is a 2nd line player but can fill in on the top line and not look out of place. Im sad to see him go, hes a real pleasure to watch.

Joe Corvo is a great offensive defenceman. He makes any power play better. He has an amazingly accurate shot and hes got amazing hands for a defenceman. Get ready to be amazed when he desides to skate with the puck down low. But im not going to lie...He is not very good in his own zone, Give aways are a serious issue with Joe. He often skates with his head down and gives the puck away or gets nailed. I hope you have a GOOD defensive defenceman that he can play with.

Thanks for the inside scoop, sensrebel. Regarding Eaves, he's still been scratched recently with a shoulder injury, correct? Any idea how close he was to returning to the line-up?

I am happy in a sense that we made this deal, as we probably needed to do something. However, on a few points it disappoints me. I would have rather have acquired Vermette over Eaves, and if it meant trading Cole, I probably would have done it at this point. Losing Commodore is not such a big deal to me because his play has really taken a step back this year with his stupid penalties, dumb step ups, and even what looks like his lack of 100% effort skating back to make up for his bonehead plays. Also, in the offseason Commodore would have been seeking about the same contract that Corvo makes now, and Commodore is definitely not worth that. The last thing that worries me is that I hope that Corvo does not just turn into the next in the line of perceived PP quarterback savior's that we have been brought in who have been overpaid and not produced and not played defense. (Ozolinsh, Tverdovsky) Stillman's loss is not that big of a deal because his play has also taken a drop and if he wants to be back and the Canes want him back, then he will probably be back. Finally, I wonder if this trade signifies JR giving up on this season.

Hmm, I wonder if JR will still go after getting John Michael Liles after this trade...

Why would he? Corvo does the same thing as Liles does.

It's not that clear cut. Eaves is ridiculously injury prone and could very well not ever pan out and become what people once thought he could. He has only played in 26 games this year.

Guy has every cliche tattoo in the books...ridiculous haha

Eaves is a pure penalty killing type of guy? Get your facts straight before you give an analysis of a player. In 26 games this season Eaves has played a total of 6:25 on the pk. That's roughly 15 seconds a game. The stats don't lie.

I thought last year playoff run with ottawa he was on the kill no!

I agree with some others - there has to be something we're missing here. Sure, everyone has the chance of injuries, but Eaves sounds injury-prone this year. Corvo sounds like most of the team we have already and Commie seemed to be picking up his game lately.

Thanks for the inside scoop, sensrebel. Regarding Eaves, he's still been scratched recently with a shoulder injury, correct? Any idea how close he was to returning to the line-up?

Im not sure, he played a few weeks ago after returning from a previous shoulder injury and re-agrovated it a few games later. If i were your guys coaching staff i wouldn't take any risks attempting to bring him back soon. You will regret it. Make sure its 100%. If he returns completely healthy then you wont hae anything to worry about. I think we rushed him back because it was in the middle of our loosing streak. You will enjoy Patty's blue collor work ethic, he never takes a shift off. im going to miss him lol.

I have no problems with tats, I have seven myself. :P

I know, I am not going to call him a freak for tattoos. Shows he is tough :lol: jk jk

A lot of the guys have tattoos people, no need to find something to pick apart with Corvo. :lol:

Yanked off of TSN's report of the trade:

"In 51 games with the Senators this season the 30-year old Corvo has six goals and 21 assists while sporting a +13 +/- rating. He has also been playing on the Senators top power play unit and will likely be asked to quarterback the Hurricanes struggling PP unit which is 17th in the league. In 330 career games he has 41 goals and 100 assists."

I like that +/- rating......

Thanks for the information! I hope you guys have a good season.

Stillman: Good playmaker and has speed.

Lately though he hasn't been doing well.

Commodore: Big defenseman and isn't scared of getting in players faces.

Sadly though, he is too slow. Also, he takes WAY too many dumb penalties.

Well, thats my two cents on Stillman and Commie.

Hey, Commodore has wanted out since they won the cup. I'm glad to see him go. I'll miss Stillman, but if trading him is what's best for the TEAM, so be it. As far as Eaves and Corvo.... I'll reserve judgement until they've played a few with the Canes.

I am happy in a sense that we made this deal, as we probably needed to do something. However, on a few points it disappoints me. I would have rather have acquired Vermette over Eaves, and if it meant trading Cole, I probably would have done it at this point. Losing Commodore is not such a big deal to me because his play has really taken a step back this year with his stupid penalties, dumb step ups, and even what looks like his lack of 100% effort skating back to make up for his bonehead plays. Also, in the offseason Commodore would have been seeking about the same contract that Corvo makes now, and Commodore is definitely not worth that. The last thing that worries me is that I hope that Corvo does not just turn into the next in the line of perceived PP quarterback savior's that we have been brought in who have been overpaid and not produced and not played defense. (Ozolinsh, Tverdovsky) Stillman's loss is not that big of a deal because his play has also taken a drop and if he wants to be back and the Canes want him back, then he will probably be back. Finally, I wonder if this trade signifies JR giving up on this season.

i don't think he has given up but this is definitely a big shakeup. had he given up he would have taken picks in return.

"In 51 games with the Senators this season the 30-year old Corvo has six goals and 21 assists while sporting a +13 +/- rating. He has also been playing on the Senators top power play unit and will likely be asked to quarterback the Hurricanes struggling PP unit which is 17th in the league. In 330 career games he has 41 goals and 100 assists."

Could just be because Ottawa's scoring so much though.

Its most likely a side effect to playing with Heatley, Spezza, and Alfredsson, we'll see how he does without them

Another Sens fan here

Corvo is lightning fast and likes to make rushes. He also is a great powerplay qb. His defensive play has improved a lot from last year but is still not very good. Great hands too.

Eaves is a great player. Needs to bulk up a bit and he has a bum shoulder but other than that he has everything. He never got a lot of PK time because we have exceptional PKers already but when he is out there he knows that he's doing. he works hard, he'll hit, shoot, pass, backcheck, rough it up...anything you want from him. perfect worker, should be back in a week or so. You'll like him, we just couldnt afford to keep him after this season.

Can you guys give me more of a scoop on commodore?