The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Commie looks like he fits in that uni....Stiller not so much. It's weird.

Corvo looks great with the Eye of the storm on his sweater.

I think we'll all be happy in the end,(hopefully) as we saw tonight Joe had a rediculously hard shot and he SHOOTS THE PUCK which alot of our

defender's wont do and now games at the RBC Center all of us won't have to start yelling "shoot the puck" on wide open looks because now we have

someone who finally will and is not afraid to.

The bonus is how hard it is, so give him time to learn the system and he's gona fit in great and already a point in his first game.

I can't wait to see Patty play I really think he's gona add to our speed game. I just think these two trade's are gona help us out alot in the future. I would love to see Stiller and Commy come back though, but if not we'll be fine.

I am not sure if it was Corvo...but our game looked a lot quicker tonight when he was on the ice. Maybe it was the absence of slower players? :unsure:

You can determine the quality of a trade after one game? Hopefully everyone will be a winner in this trade. And it's kind of interesting to hear how it came down from Stillman's perspective. Good luck to all of the teams and players involved. And kudos to Cory Stillman for allowing it to happen.

The Canes definitely got something they needed desperately a pucking moving defenseman with a wicked shot.

great trade for the canes, they got what they needed to stay in the race now and built for the future. For those questioning Corvos defensive abilities, what do you expect out of an offensive minded defenseman? it comes with the territory. The senators without question got the short end of this trade unless they win the cup, they took on two "rentals".

great trade for the canes, they got what they needed to stay in the race now and built for the future. For those questioning Corvos defensive abilities, what do you expect out of an offensive minded defenseman? it comes with the territory.

It comes with the territory to an extent but it becomes a problem when bad decision-making and loose positional play enter the equation.

You don't expect most O-Dmen to be lockdown players without the puck but you hope their overall game on D is responsible. Corvo has gotten a well-deserved reputation based on his career to-date for not being as responsible as he should be. It's not too much to ask that he be average on D but with the Kings and Sens he hasn't been on a consistent basis so that's why it can be a concern. He was pretty solid last night though so maybe the Wesley effect will pay dividends.

It comes with the territory to an extent but it becomes a problem when bad decision-making and loose positional play enter the equation.

You don't expect most O-Dmen to be lockdown players without the puck but you hope their overall game on D is responsible. Corvo has gotten a well-deserved reputation based on his career to-date for not being as responsible as he should be. It's not too much to ask that he be average on D but with the Kings and Sens he hasn't been on a consistent basis so that's why it can be a concern. He was pretty solid last night though so maybe the Wesley effect will pay dividends.

+13 on the year with the sens, I agree with your thoughts and the pairing without a doubt needs to compensate for his offensive risktaking/defensive liabilities. Liles was labeled with these same liabilities.

+13 on the year with the sens, I agree with your thoughts and the pairing without a doubt needs to compensate for his offensive risktaking/defensive liabilities. Liles was labeled with these same liabilities.

Be wary of last pair +/- stats especially when they play somewhat limited ES strength minutes as was the case with Corvo in Ottawa. When you aren't being asked to play against top lines an O-Dman typically helps his own +/- stats with his own scoring and typically playing against bottom 6 lines.

Liles' offensive skills are good but not at Corvo's level while his D, although he'll never be considered a stalwart, is better than Corvo's. Liles is the perfect #2 unit PP point.

I can't wait to see Patty play I really think he's gona add to our speed game. I just think these two trade's are gona help us out alot in the future. I would love to see Stiller and Commy come back though, but if not we'll be fine.

Yea, our 3rd line should be pretty good:

-Eaves (brings speed)

-Cullen (also has speed)

-Walker (brings grit)

Looks like a line with flow.

Be wary of last pair +/- stats especially when they play somewhat limited ES strength minutes as was the case with Corvo in Ottawa. When you aren't being asked to play against top lines an O-Dman typically helps his own +/- stats with his own scoring and typically playing against bottom 6 lines.

Liles' offensive skills are good but not at Corvo's level while his D, although he'll never be considered a stalwart, is better than Corvo's. Liles is the perfect #2 unit PP point.

Agree with the +/- somewhat, as I am not a big +/- minus believer... but if you look at his career stats, he's been a plus in every season he's played in the NHL, including a +16 for the Kings in 05-06 - at team that didn't reach the playoffs. That's hard to ignore. A string like that - 9-10+ seasons with a + finish isn't too shabby.

Senators acquire stillman, commodore

you asked for it

This thread title sounds like the fans wanting a trade are going to be punished because they felt a move needed to be made.

For me it doesn't matter who got the better deal in this trade but simply if it was a "good" trade for us. The bottom line is that both GMs tried to address shortcomings in their lineups and only time will tell if, or how much, that move will help their team in the future. Stiller can be a solid addition for any team but, for the Canes, he was not a positive factor in any of his last 22 games - or a month and a half - or for about the same time frame since JR supposedly asked him if he would be willing to waive his NTC. In hindsight it even seems like he was just coasting since then and just tried to stay healthy for his new employer. Commie is a likeable, blue-colar type D-man whose occasional grit and goals can excite you as much as his silly and untimely penalties can frustrate you. On a team that can really thrive on momentum and a good transition game though, more often than not he was just another stick in the spokes. Now I'm not blaming Stiller and Commie on all the things that seem to be wrong with the Canes, but neither of them were part of the answer either. With that said, only time will tell if Corvo or Eaves will figure in better then what JR gave up.

Agree with the +/- somewhat, as I am not a big +/- minus believer... but if you look at his career stats, he's been a plus in every season he's played in the NHL, including a +16 for the Kings in 05-06 - at team that didn't reach the playoffs. That's hard to ignore. A string like that - 9-10+ seasons with a + finish isn't too shabby.

Your point about +/- being misleading in some cases is very true. To make sense of it you have to drill deeper and see who the playing partner was and which pairing they were in. In LA he played a lot with Visnovsky who is an elite O-Dman.

They weren't utilized in a shut-down role and essentially used their offensive numbers to offset the goals they gave up, much like Corvo did in Ottawa with Preissing. Perhaps playing Corvo consistently with someone like Wesley will be a good change for him and help smooth out his rough edges positionally and an in decision-making.

Think about it this way. As bad as Commodore has been this year, he was still a + due in part b/c of being paired with Wesley who often was left to clean up his messes and they regularly were out there against top scoring lines.

Commie looks at home

In DVRing the game last night, it looked that way on camera too. He definitely indicated that the last 36 hours were a whirlwind but he seemed pleased when the interviewer told him there was already someone in the stands with a Commodore shirt and red wig ;)

Edit: The quote was removed, but I still agree with my argument against it, so I'll leave it up ;) .

On these boards, we've all agreed that a player's personal life is not to be brought into his hockey life which is freely discussed here. Let's watch Joe Corvo play hockey, and not worry about the mistakes he made a few years ago.

Canezfan, for starters the matter has already been disscussed within this topic. Secondly, its not right judging people.

I don't think you should bring it up when the story has been talked about already (which people got over). The man hasn't done anything wrong since then (that we know of). We as fans should welcome his service for the Hurricane franchise. Give the man a second chance will ya? Nobody is perfect.