The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Problem with Eaves is that he's been out since 1-24 with a shoulder/neck injury so we traded Stillman and Commie for guy who's missed much of the season with injuries, played a bit and is currently hurt again and Corvo who will help the PP but its gonna be a heck of an adventure in the D-Zone.

*goes off to hug my door of Commie posters and sulk* Why would they trade Cory and Mike?! They were having great seasons with us! I could say something else about this but I think I'll hold my tongue this once....

Can you guys give me more of a scoop on commodore?

Commodore is a fantastic defenseman and will no doubt thrive in Ottawa. However, he's not a first pairing guy. He is a GREAT 3rd defenseman but he's nothing more than that. What Ottawa wants from him is his playoff experience and his physical play and shot blocking ability. Volchenkov and Commodore will make a pretty imposing PK pair if they're used together. I wouldn't fall in love with him too much ...but it's true he's great at what he does. Useless to Carolina this year because he plays better in the bigger games. He'll really step it up for Ottawa in the extra frames.

The downside is he's slow, and will take penalties when he gets beat by a speedier forward.

Commodore is a fantastic defenseman and will no doubt thrive in Ottawa. However, he's not a first pairing guy. He is a GREAT 3rd defenseman but he's nothing more than that. What Ottawa wants from him is his playoff experience and his physical play and shot blocking ability. Volchenkov and Commodore will make a pretty imposing PK pair if they're used together. I wouldn't fall in love with him too much ...but it's true he's great at what he does. Useless to Carolina this year because he plays better in the bigger games. He'll really step it up for Ottawa in the extra frames.

The downside is he's slow, and will take penalties when he gets beat by a speedier forward.

We are more then likely going to pair him with Redden. Redden needs to play with a Defensive defenceman. HE played with Corvo and it was scary. Litterally. I called them the Give away twins. Im hopin Commadore can help redden.

thanks :) He'll probably be slotted into our 3-4 pairing with Wade Redden. Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov are a great shut down pairing for us with very good chemistry between them. We've been looking for a gritty, experienced playoff performing to play with Redden all season.

Why would he? Corvo does the same thing as Liles does.

Well, it depends on how well Corvo does for one thing. Plus, JR really wants to get JML (as we all know).

...And we wanna improve our defenseman right? Why not go after Liles when he won't be too expensive (after all he WAS good and he's young and we need youth.

I really like the trade. We are getting a puck moving defenseman and another young speedster. Corvo may not be the best in his own zone, but he has a great +/- rating, can QB the PK and provide better D than Hamilton and Cullen. Also Kaberle in '06 wasn't a good defenseman in his own zone, but was good in the transition game. I think Corvo is gonna end up taking Kaberle's role.

Eaves sounds like a guy who reminds me of Williams from Philly. He can skate fast, provides good energy, lays it all on the line, and can finish. I think JR is hoping that Eaves can thrive in our system and end up going from a solid player to a star like Williams did.

I hate to see Commodore and Stillman go, but Commodore likely wouldn't be back anyway, Stillman was getting hurt a lot and wasn't producing, and could reign after this season with us. Him waiving is NTC makes me think he isn't bitter at all about the trade and could very well return in the offseason. Commodore had hit a wall here as well. He wasn't getting any better and took A LOT of stupid penalties.

I'd say initially the Sens may have gotten the bigger assets to win a Cup, but this trade needed to happen to fix the Canes and could be a sign of things to come in the future.

I love this trade.

Net result:

We get our puck moving Dman for this year and next year. Get ready to say bye to Kabrele now. AT LAST AT LAST!!!!

Eaves is the help our PK needs but I feel sure he will be a Sen player again next year probably. Also if Stiller waved the NTC you can bet he got a handshake agreement with JR he will be back.

Net result:

We were going to lose Commie next year anywayz. Now we get something instead and that something is a puck moving offensive defenseman who will be MORE needed when Hedican retires this summer. This clears the way for us to dump Kabrele as well. Stiller will be back and Eaves will go somewhere else most likely.

Commie this year and no Commie next year FOR Corvo this year and Corvo next year.

Ottawa gets the big defensive dman for the Western Conference team if they make it to the SCF and they get the "silent" assasian in Stiller.

I've always liked the Sens so I am happy for us both, thank god we didnt get Emery!

Another Sens fan here

Corvo is lightning fast and likes to make rushes. He also is a great powerplay qb. His defensive play has improved a lot from last year but is still not very good. Great hands too.

Eaves is a great player. Needs to bulk up a bit and he has a bum shoulder but other than that he has everything. He never got a lot of PK time because we have exceptional PKers already but when he is out there he knows that he's doing. he works hard, he'll hit, shoot, pass, backcheck, rough it up...anything you want from him. perfect worker, should be back in a week or so. You'll like him, we just couldnt afford to keep him after this season.

Can you guys give me more of a scoop on commodore?

Commodore has regressed in a big way since his overachieving Cup year play. He makes at times incredibly bad decisions with pinches at the wrong time, getting himself out of position and taking ill-timed penalties. He is slow, doesn't posses a one-timer but will provide a physical presence. He is also a PK'er.

Commodore and Redden probably won't work out. Commodore's got a tendency to jump into the rush, only to be caught pinching. Is Redden defensively sound taking on 2-on-1s?

nope lol. He needs a stay at home defenceman to play with

Commodore and Stillman both UFA's at the end of this year. I like them both but they are both slow. While we did not appear to get better on defense we got faster. i thought Commodore was having an awful year - we get a power play quarterback and a potential (young) top 6 forward. i can't see a lot of down side, except that commodore was a media darling but that does not win games... JR does not wind up on the loosing end of many trades I trust his judgement.

He's a defenseman, he SHOULD look scary..... <_<

You'd think by looking at him that he'd be tossing guys over the glass. The irony though is that he doesn't use his size much at all and plays pretty much a finesse game.

Commodore and Redden probably won't work out. Commodore's got a tendency to jump into the rush, only to be caught pinching. Is Redden defensively sound taking on 2-on-1s?

*shudders* plz dont mention redden and a 2 on 1 again :P

i don't think he has given up but this is definitely a big shakeup. had he given up he would have taken picks in return.

Well, yeah I don't think it's a complete giveup because we got some guys back, but any picks we would have gotten would have been lower, depth picks anyway. Corvo is a pickup for the future too, because we would have had to sign someone like him at his salary in the offseason to QB the PP anyway. The only thing that is a bit disappointing again, is not getting vermette, but maybe Eaves can prove me wrong. I don't know much about him, but the last thing we need is more injuries, and is he even ready to play tomorrow? Why would we trade for a currently injured player? Maybe JR and Ottawa agreed not to question eaves injury or stillman's possible injuries.

*shudders* plz dont mention redden and a 2 on 1 again :P

:lol:

Take a look at the recent 1-0 loss to Nashville. Game was going great, defensively we were sound, and frankly, we were outplaying them. Commodore gets caught pinching, it's a 3-on-1 for Nashville, ends up losing the game for Carolina. Not exactly a great defenseman.

Oh come on, I can't believe JR continued with his man-crush on Corvo.

I like the Eaves part even though I'm gonna miss Stiller. Way to trade him right after I sent my jersey off, JR. :rolleyes:

Hopefully Corvo turns out to not suck. If he can get the job done offensively, and we get a decent shut-down guy during the offseason, I think we're good to go.

:lol:

Take a look at the recent 1-0 loss to Nashville. Game was going great, defensively we were sound, and frankly, we were outplaying them. Commodore gets caught pinching, it's a 3-on-1 for Nashville, ends up losing the game for Carolina. Not exactly a great defenseman.

Not only did he pinch at the wrong time he was doing figure 8's around one of the circles before he decided to skate back at half-speed.