The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Is it possible that Commodore alyways jumped up because you didnt have any other defenceman that really could? or is it just part of his game that can't be changed.

We won the STC on coach Lavs system of using your offense to be your defensee, so he coached the Pinch. Unfortunately over the last year and a half Commie seemed to put it in place at all the wrong times and other teams burned us often on it. (we lost a game vs the Preds a week ago over Commie pinching and hanging Glenn Wesley out to dry creating a 3 v 1). Still Commie can be a force and a good Pker. He also just may need a change of scenery and should be more helpful then Corvo when you all play the Western Conference teams and need to win games 2 to 1, rather than 4 to 3.

My two cents,

You guys are tweaking for the SCF. Hope it pays off if we arent there!

You'd think by looking at him that he'd be tossing guys over the glass. The irony though is that he doesn't use his size much at all and plays pretty much a finesse game.

LOL!!!! I bet I could throw guys over the glass being 6'1 myself! :lol:

NO! MY FAVORITE HURRICANE IS GONE!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm not sure about anyone else but getting a sound D took too long! I hate to see stiller go as he has provided energy often where there has been NONE!

Not sure the playoff money deposits are a sound investment! :blink:B)

Just heard Brian Murray on XM and he said Ottawa wanted Stillman for leadership, experience and to possibly open up a 2nd scoring line threat. Commodore was soley for grit on the back end. The were willing to give up some defensive points (Corvo) because they know in July that the grit will be more needed. They didnt want to give up Eaves but that's what finally made the deal in the end. Corvo was also a salary dump for more to come. Eaves is young and his upside is big. Corvo is a great shot on the point and can QB the PP. He lost play time in the finals last season cause him and his pairing, Preissing were getting run over by the Ducks size and grit. Both Commodore and Stillman not only have lots of playoff experience, but know how to win.

I like this trade and it seems fairly even. Ottawa is not fooling around this year and is building their team for July.

Just heard Brian Murray on XM and he said Ottawa wanted Stillman for leadership, experience and to possibly open up a 2nd scoring line threat. Commodore was soley for grit on the back end. The were willing to give up some defensive points (Corvo) because they know in July that the grit will be more needed. They didnt want to give up Eaves but that's what finally made the deal in the end. Corvo was also a salary dump for more to come. Eaves is young and his upside is big. Corvo is a great shot on the point and can QB the PP. He lost play time in the finals last season cause him and his pairing, Preissing were getting run over by the Ducks size and grit. Both Commodore and Stillman not only have lots of playoff experience, but know how to win.

I like this trade and it seems fairly even. Ottawa is not fooling around this year and is building their team for July.

I guess Rutherford wasn't giving up on us after all. I hope Eaves and Corvo will enjoy their stay here with us. We'll have them both for a couple of years. I hope Stillman will come back and retire in Carolina like he wants to. This is a big trade for us.

Well I like this trade...

Get a good, young forward in Eaves that we can keep around for a while, get the puckmoving defenseman that many have been demanding for a while, and loan Stillman to a contender so he can try to get his name on the Cup one more time before coming back here this offseason.

Also, I think this firmly sends a message to the whole team that nobody is untradeable at this point, as it should. Now I may be the only one thinking this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the tip of the iceberg. Then again, I don't think anyone will mind if we keep trading our older players for other teams young talent.

By the way, I love how everyone on tsn is claiming that Ottawa won this trade. No they didn't. They got a gritty d-man that will end up out of position half the time he is out there and a forward that won't last the rest of the season because of injury for 2 talented players they'll regret giving up this time next year. In terms of short term, this trade is a wash... In terms of long term, this is a big win for Carolina

This could turnout to be huge,everyone hates to see fan favorites leave but i believe this could make a big difference,on the ice as well as off.I like Cory&Commie but these guys can make a impact from the get go!!Welcome to the Caniac nation Guys!!

"Eaves is a pure penalty killing type of guy? Get your facts straight before you give an analysis of a player. In 26 games this season Eaves has played a total of 6:25 on the pk. That's roughly 15 seconds a game. The stats don't lie."

Does his lack of time on the PK mean he is not a penalty killing kind of guy? Someone compared him to a LaRose who can finish.

I will forever remember both Commie and Stillie for their contribution to the cup. That doesn't mean I think they are going to help us into the playoffs that way they are playing. From what I read, we have a lot to gain and not a whole lot to lose.

If Corvo has the skills to get the puck out of our zone, he will definitely be an asset.

Seems like we added fire power and mobility while taking a hit defensively.

We in ottawa Realize that they are more then likely rentals but it is an important deal for us. We Needed another top 6 forward to play With Fisher and We needed to add grit on the blue line for what i hope is another lengthy playoff run and thats what Murray did. We have been wanting Corvo traded for a while now and now we got our wish. I am sad to see Eaves go though. I just hope you guys have better luck then we did with his injury problems. Lately it has seemed as if he was made of glass. A rough gust of wind comes through town and hes gone for a few weeks.

OK, I know I am new here so be gentle, but this is my thought, growing up in hartford and being a Whaler/Cane fan since 1980......

Commodore was not that geat. Very personable guy in the locker room, did some good out on the ice, but time after time I watched him miss an assignment or not use his size to his advantage, or at least in the correct mannor. I did like the point that Stillman may be back in the off season, I was a little shocked at his departure, but it may be because he is a UFA at seaons end, or maybe it is because he will be back. I think Corvo needed a change of atmosphere,and hopefully he will fit in. Eaves is a young guy who will hopefully blossom into something better than he is now, but I'm still waiting for Ladd to do the same. All in all, I hope it works out for us and we can push to win the division.

Now we just gotta get rid of Kaberle.............................

Good luck finding a taker

We need to rid ourselves of Kaberle, Wallin, and Hedican before next season starts. I don't care how we do it, but those three need to go. Only way I see Wallin or Kaberle is in a trade where we just throw them into the mix without asking for anything else in return. Like a trade that includes Erik Cole, but you have to take one of those two to get him...

Now you wanna know a team that might be ripe for the Erik Cole taking? Philadelphia. They just lost Gagne to his third concussion of the season. This has got Eric Lindros Jr written all over it. Plus, they've already shown they're interested in taking Wallin off our hands. Plus, if they end up getting Forsberg, they're saying they are most likely going to have to part ways with Jeff Carter........

Now I'm not sayin... I'm just sayin...

Mmmm...I'm not sure what to think here. Corvo and Eaves eh? Corvo is a defensive liability, and only has a good +/- because he played on the Sens...imo of course. But, if he can get the job done scoring wise, and at least be solid in his own zone, well then I think we've won by getting rid of Commodore. Eaves excites me a bit, but I here he's always injured. However, if we can get that taken care of then maybe we just got a young, fast 20+ goal scorer who can help build our future a bit. I am very sorry to see Stillman go; was an important part of this team's Cup run. He started this season so well too...but def. has lacked something in the last few months. Good luck in Ottawa Cory! As far as Mike goes...chow baby! Don't get your hands caught in the door on the way out... :P

I like the Corvoe part for this reason: he's a puck moving D-man and we really needed one.. The Canes have a lot of gritty D-men in the system and on the team. Also, in the offseason, Commie could come back and A. Ward might be returning as well.

Mmmm...I'm not sure what to think here. Corvo and Eaves eh? Corvo is a defensive liability, and only has a good +/- because he played on the Sens...imo of course. But, if he can get the job done scoring wise, and at least be solid in his own zone, well then I think we've won by getting rid of Commodore. Eaves excites me a bit, but I here he's always injured. However, if we can get that taken care of then maybe we just got a young, fast 20+ goal scorer who can help build our future a bit. I am very sorry to see Stillman go; was an important part of this team's Cup run. He started this season so well too...but def. has lacked something in the last few months. Good luck in Ottawa Cory! As far as Mike goes...chow baby! Don't get your hands caught in the door on the way out... :P

To me it looks like we're giving up on this season already. Hopefully there will be better news coming....

i agree with your assesment. Corvo is Absolutely Terribad in our zone. Turn over after turn over. But on the PP he is lights out. He has a disgustingly accurate shot and its fast too.

Eaves is injured ALOT. He is made of glass it seems. But the skillz are their for sure. Murray did a good job coaching him.

To me it looks like we're giving up on this season already. Hopefully there will be better news coming....

If anything, it shows me that we're actually trying this season. Carolina's main concern has been a puck-moving defensemen and a special team fix. We got both of those in 2 players. And all we gave up were two struggling rentals.