The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Have to look past the INK,which is very nice i may add,not freakish at all,how about the shape he is in,thats whats impressive.Alot of muscle to throw around!!

GOT INK????IF NOT GET SOME!!! B)

Oh man, I'm sorry I brought it up. :rolleyes: I wasn't even specifically referencing his tattoos - they guy looks like a cyborg.

He does have plenty of muscle but you will be disappointed b/c he doesn't use it.

Oh man, I'm sorry I brought it up. :rolleyes: I wasn't even specifically referencing his tattoos - they guy looks like a cyborg.

He does have plenty of muscle but you will be disappointed b/c he doesn't use it.

very true lol

And how many of those goals and assists came early in the season?

And pillige, Stillman may return, but I think we've seen the last of Commodore in a Hurricanes jersey.

If we got rid of a player every time they have a scoring drought than Staal,Brindamour,Cole, would be gone. Stillman will finish with 35 goals this season no matter when they come, I hope its true bout getting him back, unless we bring in another 35 goal scorerer to replace him than I'll get over it.

The problem is, it still doesn't help us defensively. If anything, it makes us even worse defensively. However, Corvo has over double the amount of points Commodore does, so it'll hopefully be a great improvement offensively.

Perhaps we'll just score more goals than we'll give up now.

Just depends on if he can get the puck up the ice. If he can, that is a good thing. I do hear the terms leaky but that is what we have now. If he get the puck up the ice, then it is am improvement.

Stillman will finish with 35 goals this season no matter when they come, I hope its true bout getting him back, unless we bring in another 35 goal scorerer to replace him than I'll get over it.

35 goals at the end of this season? With the rate he has been playing lately that would be shocking. About Staal and Brindy, Staal is the face of this team. Brindy is our Captain who has respect from most (if not all) of his teammates. Trading Brindy would destroy this team in more ways than one.

So, its not like were gonna trade Staal or Brindamour anytime soon anyway. ;)

And how many of those goals and assists came early in the season?

And pillige, Stillman may return, but I think we've seen the last of Commodore in a Hurricanes jersey.

don't forget that we picked up samsonov, he's basically picked up where stillman stopped. as of late i havent noticed stillman at all. Commodore was almost overused and too relied on here, in Ottawa he probly won't get nearly as much playing time.

i also heard that eaves was injured.. is this injury healed or is it still effecting him and will he be out for some time?

tattoos make one a freakshow? sweet. way to be judgemental. *claps*

so eaves is injury-prone...so is stillman. missed a lot last season, missed the beginning of this season (not to mention he is older, as some of you probably know that doesn't help ;) ). i don't see a problem with this aspect.

sorta sad to see commie leave. he had excellent character and was a pretty good way to draw new fans (there aren't enough canes fans imo). was one of the few people on our team who wasn't afraid to be physical (not even talking about fighting-i'm talking checking and pressure). however...not too sad about stillman leaving. nice guy, has his amazing moments, but he just wasn't doing anything for us this season. if he would've kept up what he was doing his first few weeks of the season, that'd be a totally different story.

Headslap! Last time I'm going mention it, the comment was not about his tattoos. Feel free to re-read. Way to assume though *clap, clap*. ;)

Agree with you about Stillman but Commodore has been playing like he has a perpetual brain cramp or something. He wasn't coming back anyway so why not try and get something for him. His rep far exceeds his play and he would have been too expensive for Carolina anyway.

Well, we needed to do something, and this may end up being step 2 of a 5 step plan. Step 1 was the acquisition of Samsonov and anyone who's watched him in a Hurricane uniform has got to be thrilled thus far.

I agree that Corvo/Eaves for Stillman/Commodore looks a bit in favor of Ottawa, but then step back and think about it what we needed in the near term and going forward. No way we were going to resign Commie next year, so he was on his way out anyway. His play as been inconistent at best, and bordering on lazy during much of this season. Commie hasn't been the same since we won the cup....and that's one long hangover. I like Stillman a lot, but his first half was much better than his second have thus far. Wouldn't mind at all seeing Stiller come back to Carolina, and if he does, we could be a notch better with the additions of Corvo and Eaves. We needed a defenseman for our power play, and one that can help us offensively in general, and we got a good one. Corvo may not be the best defenseman around, but Commie was no bargain either....so view this as an upgrade.

Expect another deal or 2 before the trade deadline ends. There are too many players on this team with No Trade clauses and the inconistent and sometimes slack effort we get suggests a team that can be complacent on any given nite. Net is, we were heading nowhere with the team we had, so it's time to regroup and get some fresh blood in here, while sending a message that the current level of play is unacceptable.

Since we one the Stanley Cup playoffs, the Canes have the 21st best record in the NHL. With only 16 NHL teams making the playoffs, our record positions us exactly where we are heading...the odd man out. Of the 9 teams that have worst records than us over the past 2 years, at least 2 of them, possibly 3 will make the playoffs this year. That suggest we are getting worse, not better than even teams below us, and our record bares that out.

How Laviolette is still coaching this team is a miracle in itself. After becoming only the 3rd team in NHL history not to make the playoffs after winning the Stanley Cup, we have actually have gotten worse this season. We have given up over 6 goals in 12% of our games this year to lead the NHL. That suggest to me that this team no longer either wants to play under Laviolette or is playing a style that no longer works in the NHL. In either case, Laviolette needs to go. It is likely that we will finish behind both Washington and Atlanta this season....two teams that fired their coaches long ago. I'm sure Rutherford has taken note of this.

It is clear that the Canes are making an attempt to ride Cam Ward the rest of the season. That in itself is a drastic mistake. Cam has continued to be as inconsistent as any goalie in the NHL. A 2.90 GAA is unacceptable at the NHL level no matter what the defense is doing. Cam has had some great games, but he needs many more of those if he wants to be a starting goaltender is this league much longer. I understand that he is young, but then we need another quality goaltender on this team to push him, help train him, and get him ready for the rigors of an 80+ game schedule. The other nite, Cam eluded to the fact that he's working on many things with Barasso to improve his game, one of those things being puck handling. EXCUSE ME, but one would think that a 3rd year player in the NHL wouldn't be engaged in the learning of fundamentals at his position....this says it all in my opinion. I would be shocked if the Canes aren't looking for another goaltender at this point as Graham is on his way out soon or on the last day of this season.

In the meantime, let's welcome Corvo and Eaves to North Carolina. They have gone from a Stanley Cup contender to a team searching for a jump start, and perhaps this deal will be a catalyst. Go Canes.

According to Bryan Murray Corvo asked to be traded back to the US because he couldnt handle the pressure of being in the spot light in Canada.

That's good. Raleigh's pretty chill with regards to media attention and stuff, especially in comparison with Ontario.

Enjoy Stillman and Commodore. Stiller's money in the playoffs, and Commie is good when he's not pinching.

should have traded Wallen and Hedican, a pair of turnover captains - at least Commodore has scored a couple of goals - and trading Stillman (a producer) for some injured guy that has been out most of the season?? what the hey is Rutherford thinking??

we need a goaltender more than anything - Gerber, Irbe carried us to the cup and then we get rid of both for rookies Weeks and Ward? why does Jimmy think we can skimp on one of the most key spots on the team! you cannot win games when you have to score 5 goals to tally a win, and when your goalie is like Swiss cheese and setting records, like most (3) shorthanded goals, and letting 3 out 5 shots go in the cage, etc - come on! wake up and PULL THE GOALIE! maybe Rutherford has given up young girls for young boys? sorry - i'm lost for reasoning in some of these deals!

anyway - glad Commodore and Stillman will get to enter in the cup run!

should have traded Wallen and Hedican, a pair of turnover captains - at least Commodore has scored a couple of goals - and trading Stillman (a producer) for some injured guy that has been out most of the season?? what the hey is Rutherford thinking??

we need a goaltender more than anything - Gerber, Irbe carried us to the cup and then we get rid of both for rookies Weeks and Ward? why does Jimmy think we can skimp on one of the most key spots on the team! you cannot win games when you have to score 5 goals to tally a win, and when your goalie is like Swiss cheese and setting records, like most (3) shorthanded goals, and letting 3 out 5 shots go in the cage, etc - come on! wake up and PULL THE GOALIE! maybe Rutherford has given up young girls for young boys? sorry - i'm lost for reasoning in some of these deals!

Hedican has arguably been our best defenseman many times, and btw good luck getting by their no trade clauses.

and you're also pointing out 2 GAMES out of 82

anddd this is basically the first deal we've done this season.

It seems there are too many 'Canes fan that think we can give up nothing to get something. :rolleyes:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i hate this

i hate this a lot

stillman is an awesome player

commoder has been good

why did this have to happen?

this is awful

and to the xplayer post, are you serious?

we dont need a goalie right now

ward is starting to play his serious A game

Obviously Ottawa will not be able to sign both Stillman and Commodore after the season ends with all the money they already have tied up in their top players. But what are the chances that Carolina will be able to keep Corvo & Eaves as well as re sign Stillman in the offseason? Will we have the cap space? I am new to this message board but been a Canes fan since they were here in Greensboro. I do not like trading Stillman for Eaves considering Eaves hasnt done anything this year due to being injured. If JR is able to keep these 2 guys and re sign Stillman in the offseason I would say this is a great deal but as it is now I think we are getting screwed.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i hate this

i hate this a lot

stillman is an awesome player

commoder has been good

why did this have to happen?

this is awful

Umm, not to be a jerk or anything but if your on this chat board often you would know this is the kind of trade we needed. Both Commie and Stillman haven't done well lately (just look through this topic and see some comments).

Murray says that he had looked at a different Canes' d-man but decided he wanted the grit Commie can bring.

I also read about Corvo asking to come to an American team. NC should be a perfect fit for him.

I am not sure how to react to this trade. I hate to see Commodore go, would have preferred Kaberle or Wallin leave. I do wonder why Ottawa wold make this trade. When a conference-leading team makes a trade, it is usually an effort to fill specific needs that will help make the team better. Case in point the Canes' trades for Weight and Recchi in 06. I just do not see how this trade makes Ottawa better. I cannot help but wonder if there is some other ulterior motive for the Sen's to be willing to part with these two players. As to whether this trade will make the Canes better, I hope so. I hope it is designed to do more than just get the Canes in the playoffs, but to make a run deep in the playoffs. Only time will tell. Who knows, new players bring new chemistry, and maybe yhat is what was lacking.

I just love how so many are quick to discount and hate on this trade just because they liked commodore and stillman while they were here. Well this trade was made because those two couldn't get it done on the ice and JR decided to bring in two players who he thought would. I mean its not like he has been horrible at finding the right fit for this team in the past. Hell, if anything he's shown he has a great eye for those players in the past so I more than trust him now even if we can't re-sign either stiller or commy in the offseason

This trade makes us a better team now and it makes us a much better team for the future. For us to get anything for 2 underperforming future UFAs is amazing.