The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

I am not sure how to react to this trade. I hate to see Commodore go, would have preferred Kaberle or Wallin leave. I do wonder why Ottawa wold make this trade. When a conference-leading team makes a trade, it is usually an effort to fill specific needs that will help make the team better. Case in point the Canes' trades for Weight and Recchi in 06. I just do not see how this trade makes Ottawa better. I cannot help but wonder if there is some other ulterior motive for the Sen's to be willing to part with these two players. As to whether this trade will make the Canes better, I hope so. I hope it is designed to do more than just get the Canes in the playoffs, but to make a run deep in the playoffs. Only time will tell. Who knows, new players bring new chemistry, and maybe yhat is what was lacking.

Lol. Here I was just saying how some 'Canes fans think we can give up nothing for something :rolleyes:

Also, I agree with you Model Citizen.

*Edit* Besides, as its been said before and I will see it for the last time:

Stillman wants to retire here! I have faith we can resign him.

Umm, not to be a jerk or anything but if your on this chat board often you would know this is the kind of trade we needed. Both Commie and Stillman haven't done well lately (just look through this topic and see some comments).

yeah because, this chat board definitely has the right opinion on everything right?

no seriously, most of the comments that people make on here are ridiculous

im not going to trust the opinion of an average joe on the forums

I am not saying this trade wont help us. But in my opinion Corvo for Commi is ok. But Stillman for Eaves is what I question. Atleast Stillman has produced this year. Eaves has been hurt. I know Eaves has some upside but its not going to help us now. I just think if you are going to give up a good D-man and a current 20+ goal scorer you should at the very least get something equal to that. I personaly feel like we could have gotten better

I am not sure how to react to this trade. I hate to see Commodore go, would have preferred Kaberle or Wallin leave. I do wonder why Ottawa wold make this trade. When a conference-leading team makes a trade, it is usually an effort to fill specific needs that will help make the team better. Case in point the Canes' trades for Weight and Recchi in 06. I just do not see how this trade makes Ottawa better. I cannot help but wonder if there is some other ulterior motive for the Sen's to be willing to part with these two players. As to whether this trade will make the Canes better, I hope so. I hope it is designed to do more than just get the Canes in the playoffs, but to make a run deep in the playoffs. Only time will tell. Who knows, new players bring new chemistry, and maybe yhat is what was lacking.

This does add a specific need. Two actually. Secondary Scoring and Grit on the blue line.

yeah because, this chat board definitely has the right opinion on everything right?

I didn't mean it in the kind of way. In other words, you would have kind of a sense of the teams needs.

Let me repharse what I said: if you have heard JR, we need a puck moving defenseman. I hope that clears up some confusion ;)

Its interesting you say that because by coming on here and questioning the trade like you did you're not challenging us, you're questioning the decision making abilities of a GM that took us from worst in the league to Cup champs in two seasons. I mean you must have some serious bling on your fingers to have such a bold thought process like that, no?

Murray says that he had looked at a different Canes' d-man but decided he wanted the grit Commie can bring.

I also read about Corvo asking to come to an American team. NC should be a perfect fit for him.

It is a different market that's for sure but I always get worried when someone states feeling pressure. The playoffs last year didn't seem to unnerve him but it makes you wonder a bit.

I'm not going to slander the guy but he had some well documented off-ice problems a few years back when he was with the Kings that led to a suspension.

wow....I left the house at 1pm thinking i'm up to date..only to come back and see this.

I like the deal, looking at it objectively. I have no beef with corvo, and I think he'll help our PP, his defense is suspect, but I recall it was quite good when he played in Los Angeles, so is defensive play has been ba since signing with the sens. He's got an awesome point shot, and I think he's looking for a fresh start like Samsonov. I also think corvo is a much better skater than Commodore, which is a plus. I also see some sens fans are upset that Corvo is gone, and don't understand the hate, and think he's underrated.

So we traded away some players we were gonna lose in the summer anyways, for a more offensive defensemen (which means we have no need to rely on kaberle on the PP now), and added a good young player to a veteran laced team.

Good trade for both teams....but much more risky for the Sens.

I am not saying this trade wont help us. But in my opinion Corvo for Commi is ok. But Stillman for Eaves is what I question. Atleast Stillman has produced this year. Eaves has been hurt. I know Eaves has some upside but its not going to help us now. I just think if you are going to give up a good D-man and a current 20+ goal scorer you should at the very least get something equal to that. I personaly feel like we could have gotten better

stiller was great early on but he's been all but nonexistent for over a month now.

As I said earlier... With how injured he gets and his play of late, I was surprised anyone would give up anything for him... Especially considering he's a UFA this offseason

yes we need a puck moving defensman but do we need one at the expense of getting one who tends to turn the puck over and make a lot of mistakes in his own zone. It seems we are robbing peter to pay paul. We already have had problems with turnovers. I am no NHL coach and by no means an expert on running a team. But I just dont think this trade will help us as much as some think it will. Will it help? Absolutly!! but to the extent some think I dont think so. I hope I am wrong. We have a good team with some great players. And a great coaching staff and GM. I know any time you make a trade its a gamble. I hope the managment & coaching staff see something we dont.

I think you are wrong, I have been a Whaler/Cane fan for 21 years and I truly beleive the people on this site really know their team. Most post where very very realistic opinions of the canes needs wich were a puck moving D-man and youth!

Stillman was an older free agent signing, it's not often you can pick up youth via free agency!

If we need to fill the gap wait until the summer and pick up a 20 or 30 goal guy for 5 mill the cap is going up like 3 or 4 mill anyway!

The cap going up is going to give teams a little flex next year!

yes we need a puck moving defensman but do we need one at the expense of getting one who tends to turn the puck over and make a lot of mistakes in his own zone. It seems we are robbing peter to pay paul. We already have had problems with turnovers. I am no NHL coach and by no means an expert on running a team. But I just dont think this trade will help us as much as some think it will. Will it help? Absolutly!! but to the extent some think I dont think so. I hope I am wrong. We have a good team with some great players. And a great coaching staff and GM. I know any time you make a trade its a gamble. I hope the managment & coaching staff see something we dont.

We finally get a D guy who can keep up with our forwards and he is all ready turning the puck over before he has even played a game :angry:

Before you guys shoot this down just remember that players can flourish in some systems and flounder in others. Everyone was freaking out about Samsonov getting picked up until you all saw how well he is doing here. Instead of shooting it down how about we just wait to see how they do tomorrow and Thursday?

Heres another aspect, were certainly one of the better teams in the league offense-wise.. so making an improvement in the defense department is smart. Is Corvo great defensive wise? No. Is he an improvement defense wise? Yes.

Commodore is like a two bladed sword. He's big, (which is great for good defense) but he's slow. Corvo is faster AND he can put up a whole lot more points than Commodore (or for that matter all of our defenseman). So Corvo is in more ways than one an improvement.

there is no way in hell we'd even be where we are at today if it wasn't for Stillman pick'n it up from the get go this year. He has ALWAYS been one of my favorite players. I've got an away jersey with his name on the back. This news was a punch in the stomach to loose him. Hope he does well whereever he ends up.

I will say this, I think the Canes staff for the most part have made smart and wise trades and decisions. I do have faith in them and am going to trust them and have faith that this move will work even if my gut tells me otherwise. Thats why they get paid the big bucks. LOL I think the Samsonov aquisition was good. I cant help but think there is more to this trade than just a 4 player swap. If Eaves gets healthy and proves a good replacement for Stillman then I think it will be an equal trade. But only time will tell. I would love to see this trade work out better than anyone expects and the team start clicking again and make a good playoff run and then re aquire Stillman. I am looking forward to seeing Corvo tomorrow night in Boston though. Should be interesting to see who he gets paired with.

It seems there are too many 'Canes fan that think we can give up nothing to get something. :rolleyes:

Let's trade our 6 forwards from our 3rd and 4th lines for Sidney Crosby...

(exaggeration to make a point)

Way too many of those type of suggestions...

I think you are wrong, I have been a Whaler/Cane fan for 21 years and I truly beleive the people on this site really know their team. Most post where very very realistic opinions of the canes needs wich were a puck moving D-man and youth!

Stillman was an older free agent signing, it's not often you can pick up youth via free agency!

If we need to fill the gap wait until the summer and pick up a 20 or 30 goal guy for 5 mill the cap is going up like 3 or 4 mill anyway!

The cap going up is going to give teams a little flex next year!

Calm down I am not saying that LOL I am just stating his history. I hope he fits in well here. GOD knows we cant do much worse than we have lately LOL

The key point to me is the long-term effects here. We traded away two UFA's for an RFA and a player locked up for another year. So I agree that in the long-term we win.

Short term, we won't know until after the season ends. It could go either way. Commie and Stiller could end up coming back to life in Ottawa and make it look like a horrible trade for the Canes, while Eaves and Corvo could do nothing. It could go the other way, too. Maybe Commie has hit his potential and is overvalued, or Stiller has nagging injuries that keeps him from being a factor the rest of the season. No matter what happens, though, the Canes end up getting more long-term. In fact, the only way this won't look as bad for Ottawa is if they re-sign both players after this season. Well, or if they win the Cup and at least one of them is a key part of that. But maybe they'd have won even without this trade, too.

Ottawa has no guarantee that either Commodore or Stillman will be back after this season. Both could end up being gone. For the Canes, though, we are guaranteed at least one more year with Corvo, and with Eaves being a RFA even if he leaves we'll be getting compensation back in return. Plus, like many have said, we might be seeing Stillman back in a Canes jersey next year. Or even Commodore. You never know.

For Commodore and Stillman, since both are UFA's, what do you expect us to get back? We could only get back maybe a prospect and/or a pick that wouldn't likely help anytime soon, or what we got. At least what we got might work out sooner. With that considered, this was definitely a good trade.

The main thing is that JR finally made a big trade. This team has needed that. And it wasn't selling the bank just to make a deal, or giving up a ton for what could be nothing. I'm hoping JR isn't done, too. We need more changes than this for the future. This is only another step in the right direction. But it is a step.

there is no way in hell we'd even be where we are at today if it wasn't for Stillman

And where exactly is that?

3rd in the worst division in what might amount to the history of the NHL?

Pardon me if I'm not devastated by that

i'm sure Kaberle is being considered but isn't that valuable to trade... would you take him in a trade?

Ottowa is on their way to the playoffs and I'm sure Mike and Cory can help them find the cup this time. Good luck guys!

Maybe we could trade him(Kabs) for one of the muppets,,,give Stormy a wingman!!!or wingmuppet whatever you want to call him!!

stillman did say he wanted to end his career here. he is a UFA in the summer. i like the trade. resign cory and sign j-m liles, assuming wes/hedican retire, and i like our team next year. dont forget we're missing an allstar from last year in williams, the man who makes our third line go in cullen, and the canes MVP, chad larose. this trade has me seeing light at the end of the tunnel.