The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Senators acquire Stillman, Commodore

Meh. I'm not excited at the moment. Time well tell how this deal is.

Also, as it might of already been posted, Stillman will prolly wanna resign with the 'Canes during the offseason. After all, he said he wants to retire here.

Again, time will tell.

So in the end we probably might get Stilly back here during the offseason, hmm.... We would be getting more out of this, and also id like to see Cory retire here.

After all i was in shock when i went on NHL.COM and then i see sens and canes major swap!? First i thought it'd be Cole, or Samsy, But wow im still in shock, I like this trade so im excited to see them playing their first game at home against the Penguins. So yeh Time will tell)

EDIT: 181 users on this Topic wow :o

Wednsday FEBRUARY 13th HEADLINES!!!

Joe Corvo scored 4 goals & 2 assists and Patrick Eaves scored 5 goals and 3 assists in their debut game for the newly revived Hurricanes as they pound the Boston Bruins 11-0 Looks like the Hurricanes are back. GOOOOOO CANES!!!! That would be SWEET!! LOL Dont Laugh it could happen. LOL

For all the crap people place on him, it should be noted that Commodore and Stillman were the only two Hurricanes on Eklund's rumor chart for the longest time.

Well, not for nothing, but it was rumored here on the boards as well. They are logical choices and while folks are shocked here, it seems that it isn't the "who" that is the shock but the "for what" (although a bit sad for people, I'm sure).

We got the better deal here. They get instant gratification, but more than likely it won't last like our side will. Eaves is a young winger, and Corvo is a fairly young puckmoving blueliner. We needed someone like Corvo for the season, and I like the fact JR went for the future AND the present here. Sens just got the present. I can see Commie resigning in Ottawa or elsewhere, and Corvo's contract lasting to 2010 will rule out Commie returning, but I can see Stiller coming back to Carolina, but I'm not sure.

Glad to see JR did SOMETHING, and thanking God Cole wasn't dealt away. THANK YOU GOD! :D

But yeah, I haven't really seen Eaves play, and I've seen Corvo. Hopefully here he will use his frame defensively, without losing his offensive flair.

Wednsday FEBRUARY 13th HEADLINES!!!

Joe Corvo scored 4 goals & 2 assists and Patrick Eaves scored 5 goals and 3 assists in their debut game for the newly revived Hurricanes as they pound the Boston Bruins 11-0 Looks like the Hurricanes are back. GOOOOOO CANES!!!! That would be SWEET!! LOL Dont Laugh it could happen. LOL

Lol! Too late! I already laughed. ;)

For all the crap people place on him, it should be noted that Commodore and Stillman were the only two Hurricanes on Eklund's rumor chart for the longest time.

Well, not for nothing, but it was rumored here on the boards as well. They are logical choices and while folks are shocked here, it seems that it isn't the "who" that is the shock but the "for what" (although a bit sad for people who knew it could happen but still were emotionally invested in the guys).

stillman did say he wanted to end his career here. he is a UFA in the summer. i like the trade. resign cory and sign j-m liles, assuming wes/hedican retire, and i like our team next year. dont forget we're missing an allstar from last year in williams, the man who makes our third line go in cullen, and the canes MVP, chad larose. this trade has me seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh God no...

Seriously... this is it for the puck moving d-men. No more. We already have Hedican, Kaberle, Tanabe, and now Corvo. We need to now get a dman who, and I know this might be a stretch for some to realize, who can actually play defense.

:o

I know, such an audacious concept, a d-man that plays d.

Also Cory had to waive his NTC for this to happen, this gives him a very good shot at 3 cups in 4 yrs,minus the lockout.He also likes it here and his family is here so he could very well resign with us next year.Who knows it might be part of the deal.Heck we sent Ron Francis to the leafs a few years ago.Just to get him back the next year.. So before anyone goes to crazy wait and see how this all turns out,Commie can choose to come back as well!!!

If Ward's "A" game is allowing 4 goals in the 1st period, or letting a goal in the last 11 seconds of the 3rd period (all within the last week) i don't want this "A" player on team.

not sure what game you were watching - maybe highlights from the last stanley run - or listening to that idiot Trip Tracey!

did you see the rematch - Gerber vs Ward - a few weeks ago??? check the stats - they don't lie

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i hate this

i hate this a lot

stillman is an awesome player

commoder has been good

why did this have to happen?

this is awful

and to the xplayer post, are you serious?

we dont need a goalie right now

ward is starting to play his serious A game

Well, not for nothing, but it was rumored here on the boards as well. They are logical choices and while folks are shocked here, it seems that it isn't the "who" that is the shock but the "for what" (although a bit sad for people, I'm sure).

His rumor chart is made up of UFA's and guys with playoff experience. By definition both Stillman and Commodore were listed. :blink:

So in the end we probably might get Stilly back here during the offseason, hmm.... We would be getting more out of this, and also id like to see Cory retire here.

After all i was in shock when i went on NHL.COM and then i see sens and canes major swap!? First i thought it'd be Cole, or Samsy, But wow im still in shock, I like this trade so im excited to see them playing their first game at home against the Penguins. So yeh Time will tell)

Yea, I guess this trade destroyed rumors of Cole being traded. I gotta admit, after seeing a few videos of both Senator players, I am a little excited to see them play. I don't think their gonna be are saving grace but lets just see how they do the next few games.

If Ward's "A" game is allowing 4 goals in the 1st period, or letting a goal in the last 11 seconds of the 3rd period (all within the last week) i don't want this "A" player on team.

not sure what game you were watching - maybe highlights from the last stanley run - or listening to that idiot Trip Tracey!

did you see the rematch - Gerber vs Ward - a few weeks ago??? check the stats - they don't lie

Don't you just love people who think they can look at the scoresheet and deduce everything that happened in a game...

Yea, I guess this trade destroyed rumors of Cole being traded.

No it doesn't

we still have a few weeks before the deadline... plenty of time for JR to get some more trades in the mix, and IMHO, Cole is going to be some serious trade bait come the deadline

Murray just came on our Sports Radio show here in ottawa. I stole this quote off our Forums:

"Just heard Brian Murray on 1200 and he said Ottawa wanted Stillman for leadership, experience and to possibly open up a 2nd scoring line threat. Commodore was soley for grit on the back end. The were willing to give up some defensive points (Corvo) because they know in July that the grit will be more needed. They didnt want to give up Eaves but that's what finally made the deal in the end. Corvo was also a salary dump for more to come. Eaves is young and his upside is big. Corvo is a great shot on the point and can QB the PP. He lost play time in the finals last season cause him and his pairing, Preissing were getting run over by the Ducks size and grit. Both Commodore and Stillman not only have lots of playoff experience, but know how to win."

Thats funny cause thats what I wrote back on page 5, complete with my mistake of July vs June for the SCF's :lol:

Just heard Brian Murray on XM and he said Ottawa wanted Stillman for leadership, experience and to possibly open up a 2nd scoring line threat. Commodore was soley for grit on the back end. The were willing to give up some defensive points (Corvo) because they know in July that the grit will be more needed. They didnt want to give up Eaves but that's what finally made the deal in the end. Corvo was also a salary dump for more to come. Eaves is young and his upside is big. Corvo is a great shot on the point and can QB the PP. He lost play time in the finals last season cause him and his pairing, Preissing were getting run over by the Ducks size and grit. Both Commodore and Stillman not only have lots of playoff experience, but know how to win.

I like this trade and it seems fairly even. Ottawa is not fooling around this year and is building their team for July.

Murray just came on our Sports Radio show here in ottawa. I stole this quote off our Forums:

"Just heard Brian Murray on 1200 and he said Ottawa wanted Stillman for leadership, experience and to possibly open up a 2nd scoring line threat. Commodore was soley for grit on the back end. The were willing to give up some defensive points (Corvo) because they know in July that the grit will be more needed. They didnt want to give up Eaves but that's what finally made the deal in the end. Corvo was also a salary dump for more to come. Eaves is young and his upside is big. Corvo is a great shot on the point and can QB the PP. He lost play time in the finals last season cause him and his pairing, Preissing were getting run over by the Ducks size and grit. Both Commodore and Stillman not only have lots of playoff experience, but know how to win."

Thats funny cause thats what I wrote back on page 5, complete with my mistake of July vs June for the SCF's :lol:

Just heard Brian Murray on XM and he said Ottawa wanted Stillman for leadership, experience and to possibly open up a 2nd scoring line threat. Commodore was soley for grit on the back end. The were willing to give up some defensive points (Corvo) because they know in July that the grit will be more needed. They didnt want to give up Eaves but that's what finally made the deal in the end. Corvo was also a salary dump for more to come. Eaves is young and his upside is big. Corvo is a great shot on the point and can QB the PP. He lost play time in the finals last season cause him and his pairing, Preissing were getting run over by the Ducks size and grit. Both Commodore and Stillman not only have lots of playoff experience, but know how to win.

I like this trade and it seems fairly even. Ottawa is not fooling around this year and is building their team for July.

do you guys think that the initial trade was for wade redden? there has been recent news that he said he wouldnt waive his no trade clause. what a deal that would've been if it were us.

No, JR said on the radio he's been trying to get Corvo for a while

If Redden declined to drop his NTC thats fine... it wasn't a trade JR was proposing, though

do you guys think that the initial trade was for wade redden? there has been recent news that he said he wouldnt waive his no trade clause. what a deal that would've been if it were us.

No the trade that Redden refused was to San Jose.

And where exactly is that?

3rd in the worst division in what might amount to the history of the NHL?

Pardon me if I'm not devastated by that

Lol, that was funny, but we're second in the SE. With all the forwards we have, I wouldn't be sad to see even Brindy go. This team needs youth, players to build on. Hopefully the Hurricanes will make a great run for the rest of the season with Corvo which IMO is a great player to get in return for Commie. However, Eaves for Stillman is in the shade. No one can know until Eaves heals and plays with the team. I was hoping we would've got a young third line center so Cullen can take his time recovering, but at least we got a young winger with promise/potential.

we still have a few weeks before the deadline... plenty of time for JR to get some more trades in the mix, and IMHO, Cole is going to be some serious trade bait come the deadline.

Man - that would make two jerseys in one family. It just isn't fair! ;) But I agree with you - I don't think the trades are over and Cole is definitely a commodity.

I like to think of this as Samsonov/Corov/Eaves for Stillman/Commie and I like looking at it that way. That's what we've changed in the past month to start trying to make some kind of move.

It's a "safe" move IMO - it doesn't sell-us out so much that we're giving up on the season; it's a wait-and-see type move to see if the new faces/new teams works out, and it provides some longer term potential if we re-sign Eaves and Corvo to longer deals, BUT we can walk away from both of them in another year, or Eaves after the season.

The wildcard? Is Eaves still hurt or were the Sens just keeping him out while they shopped him or didn't need him on the ice?

Will we see him play tomorrow? This week?

Seems to me a middle-of-the road, safe, possibly very good, possibly kind of bad deal.

No it doesn't

we still have a few weeks before the deadline... plenty of time for JR to get some more trades in the mix, and IMHO, Cole is going to be some serious trade bait come the deadline

Maybe. Who knows. I would be really shocked if he made a big trade after today's.

JR did say on 99.9 he's still looking for another trade. Again, I would be shocked a big trade would happen after today.

I think the Hurricanes desperately needed to make a trade like this one -- not just for the sake of the remainder of this year, but for next year and into the future. Commodore and Stillman were excellent players for the Hurricanes; but in the end the Hurricanes needed to full some defensive gaps. If this trade doesn't wake up some of the other players who are not showing consistent work ethic every shift, then nothing will.

Also Cory had to waive his NTC for this to happen, this gives him a very good shot at 3 cups in 4 yrs,minus the lockout.He also likes it here and his family is here so he could very well resign with us next year.Who knows it might be part of the deal.Heck we sent Ron Francis to the leafs a few years ago.Just to get him back the next year.. So before anyone goes to crazy wait and see how this all turns out,Commie can choose to come back as well!!!

And Wesley.

EDIT: Like dabrams was saying, we need work ethic, and with LaRose out, possibly one of our hardest working players, Eaves could possibly fill his gap for now. POSSIBLY :o

Don't you just love people who think they can look at the scoresheet and deduce everything that happened in a game...

Yes, Cam is much worse than the score sheet indicates. As I mentioned in a previous post, no 3rd year starting goaltender should be working on the basic fundamentals of his position. If Cam Ward is as good as many think he is, he should be explaining fundamentals to Tom Barasso, not begging for his assistance.

Cam has some great games for this team, but stats over the long term do not lie. He's a bottom tier starting goalie in the NHL, and while that can change as he matures, watching him limp along game to game has become painful for hurricanes fans. Cam reminds me of the shortstop who makes sensational diving plays, but leads the league in errors. This tells me that he is lacking in either concentration or key fundamentals. In either case, we need another goaltender who can both help him and push him toward improvement.