The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Asylum44

Post Game Analysis 2/18-Devils

I really think a loss in this one was inevitable. Grahame wasn't awful, but he was FAR from good. I think Grahame got the start simply because it looked like the 11 straight starts might have been wearing on Cam. He'd played great for a long time, but you could tell he wasn't on his game against FL. With Cole and Whitney out the offense was going to be hurt and with Conboy filling a 4th line role with Jensen and Brookbank you knew that the 4th line wasn't going to be a factor and that the defense was going to have make 0 mistakes to have a shot to win.

Cole had been ailing from assorted bumps and bruises for a while it seemed. I hope that the flu excuse was just that, an excuse to get him a much needed day off before the game tomorrow. Same goes for Whitney missing. If he and Whitney are back tomorrow and Wardo is back in the crease then I am looking for a big win against the B's.

The one thing this game proved though is that Kaberle at the very least needs to be taken off the PP. He was amazing in '06, but Lavi needs to realize that he's been awful defensively and offensively since then. He can't play the passing lanes, doesn't play physical, doesn't play the puck, and on the PP never even considers shooting it. When is forced to shoot the puck, instead of slapping it from the point he gets in a weak wrister. I would love to see a defense tomorrow of Wesley, Gleason, Corvo, Borer, Wallin and Hedican/Conboy. If Lavi wants to win then he needs to put his man love for Kaberle aside. The guy has done nothing since that goal in Game 7.

On a side note, does anyone know when Eaves and Siedenburg may be back? I would LOVE to see those guys come off of the walking wounded list.

On a side note, does anyone know when Eaves and Siedenburg may be back? I would LOVE to see those guys come off of the walking wounded list.

Not sure. Seids wasn't practicing the other day but Eaves was out there and looked great. I bet we see him either tomorrow or Thursday.

Since this technically is part of the game, I'm going to sum this up real simple:

There are so many factors that show why starting Grahame and keeping him in the game was a good idea

1. Ward played terrible against Florida. Please, try and argue this.

2. Ward has a terrible record against the Devils this year. Again, argue this.

3. This was a first game of the back-to-back

3a. Ward has a terrible record playing both games in a back-to-back

3b. We play Boston tomorrow. Ward has played stellar against the B's this year.

3c. If we win tomorrow, we get the tie-breaker against Boston if it comes down to them or us getting the 8th spot.

3d. In order to make sure we win, we need Ward rested, which is why we kept Grahame in.

Any questions?

You are making to much sense to be on this board. How dare you call it the right way! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

No offense to Grahame, it wasnt all his fault, on account of pretty much everybody is sick or injured, but I was more impressed with Michael Leighton than Grahame as backup goalie. He had pretty good numbers in the few games hes played and I think we need to call him back up for backup. The Canes are now 2-1 on this crucial stretch of 10 out of 12 games being at home, and they are 4-0 at home after the all star break so hopefully starting against the Bruins we can continue the success.

Why exactly did Leighton get sent back down? He played at least as well as Graham. Just wondering if there was ever a reason given.

Why exactly did Leighton get sent back down? He played at least as well as Graham. Just wondering if there was ever a reason given.

Don't think a reason was given, but JR made it pretty clear that Grahame was sent down for a conditioning stint. Just because everyone made a big deal out of Leighton getting called up doesn't mean that Grahame's trip down was anything less than that.

I can't remember an official clarification for it. IMO his short stint with the Canes was little more than a statement from Lavi to Grahame who found himself shipped down to the Rats. I guess there could have been (or still is) a lot more going on in the locker room or the front office than we'll ever know.

I was told they didn't want to pay both NHL salaries and they didn't want Leights sitting on the bench since we were going to ride Cam basically. They wanted Leights to get to play lots of games.

they were hoping someone would pick grahme up off waivers to get rid of the salary seeing that he wouldnt be playing much behind Cam. The conditioning stint was more of an excuse.

Aucoin, Bayda, Conboy, Borer, Jensen, and Brookbank are all Rats

Half the line up are AHL players...

I don't think we are allowed to use this as an excuse. Reading a lot of the threads and posts all over here, I have been seeing a lot of opinions that we should scrap the vets and let the young/hungry guys play.

Personally, I think this is ludicrous, but that has been what is being said. This game is an example of what happens when you take that logic too far down the road.

I love the infusion of energy the Rats have brought to the team, but it just isn't enough. Skills are needed too. The Rats pushing the veterans to play better, and we still need enough skill/talent to be able to matchup. It's going to be tough without Brindy and Williams down the stretch.

Nice how we sandwiched the 3 game win streak in between two New Jersey losses.

Guess Lavi put Grahame in goal today based on his performance during the Panthers game.

Hopefully tomorrow Whitney and Cole will be back in the line up and Ward in between the pipes.

He probably put cracker in based on his 2.08 goals against average against the Devils throughout his career...

You would think the Canes would be embarrassed for their play against the Devils this season and would want to actually bring it one of these days to make up for it...

15-3 total in 3 games against NJ this season... If we total our score against them against their average per game, we still lose by 2...

At this point, I no longer want to see this team make the playoffs, cause if we do, its a quick 1 and done and we get left with a bad draft spot and another year of mediocre at best hockey. As of now, just make the trade that guts this team for this year and build for the future. As of now, its either be mediocre for a series of years or make the trade and become horrible for the rest of this year with potential to be great in 2.

Are you sure your not a Leafs fan???