The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
acaniac

Vote for the "C"

Give it to Wesley for the rest of the year for two reasons:

1) If he plays like he did yesterday he deserves it.

2) Its obviously temporary unlike giving it to a younger player.

I agree to have Wesley fill in as Captain temporarily if this is warranted. He has leadership and more experience than the others. Last I checked, the role of captain is that of a respected leader... usually a proven leader...

Give it to Wesley for the rest of the year for two reasons:

1) If he plays like he did yesterday he deserves it.

2) Its obviously temporary unlike giving it to a younger player.

Glen Wesley should wear the "C"

he has been around the longest (left for a small time but came back )and can instill veteran leadership.

count me among the "nobody" crowd, but if someone absolutely has to, it should be Wesley. He fit's the role of "elder statesman" and should get it for that reason... He's one of the most respected players in the league (by other players and the refs - remember, having the refs listen to your captain is very important!) Remember, wearing the C is (or should be) earned by experience and class on and off the ice... not youthfull talent alone..Staal's time is in the future... or maybe we could convince the AGM to "unretire" for a while...we are short a center now too...

I think Wesley would fill the bill

I agree to have Wesley fill in as Captain temporarily if this is warranted. He has leadership and more experience than the others. Last I checked, the role of captain is that of a respected leader... usually a proven leader...

Wesley: Captain. Oldest, knows how to lead. When he's gone and Brindy's gone for good, then Whit or Wills.

But that's just if I had to pick one, I'd say Wes. Now I'm just saying, we should stick to our 3 alternates until Brindy returns from the dead, er, I mean, um... gets better! ;)

Like what was said on 99.9 "The Fan" last night, this is Staal's team now. The guys in the locker room know it as well as all the fans.

No... Staal just... isn't the best thing happening to this team right now. I think that presently the saving grace is for our team is Whitney. But he's... injured or sick, which was he now? But Brindy and Walker were our saving graces... but Brindy's gone and Walker... idk. Walker just hasn't been the same since his bad injury...

We should leave it with Brindamour at the moment. If one has to be decided, it should go to Wesley, because while this is Staal's team right now, night's like last night show why Wesley should be the captain if push comes to shove. Just quietly doing his thing.

No one should. It's just a letter. Brind'Amour's the captain until the day he leaves this team, and that's how it should stay (unless he starts sucking and deserves to have it stripped).

Although this is somewhat different in terms of player status, but Sakic went down for basically the whole season sometime in November or December. No one has worn the C for Colorado, and that's how it will stay until Sakic retires. Even when Crosby went down no one has worn the C for Pittsburgh. Brind'Amour definitely deserves more respect for his position than Crosby does. He should be honored and respected the way Super Joe is.

No... Staal just... isn't the best thing happening to this team right now. I think that presently the saving grace is for our team is Whitney. But he's... injured or sick, which was he now? But Brindy and Walker were our saving graces... but Brindy's gone and Walker... idk. Walker just hasn't been the same since his bad injury...

Come on, Staal has night in and night out been the best player on the team. And whitney has only missed 3 games this year, so idk why your saying hes injured or sick, he was definitely noticeable on the ice last night. And this was his best game in a long time, so why are you saying he has been our "saving grace", and until last night, he hadn't had a point in the past 6 games, and and a goal in the last 11.

My first initial thought was Staal just because we all know he'll be the captain when Roddy retire's and now its pretty much his team, but after thinking about it...

I agree with alot of people and think Wesley would be the best Captain because it is about leadership and experience and who better than Glen. I'd just like to see Cole with an A on his chest now that Cory is gone.

My vote is for Staal.

Being the captain is not about being oldest or haveing the most experience, its about being a leader on and off the ice. Its also about who is going to carry the team to the playoffs. With Brindy out, Staal is going to be a key penalty killer, face-off taker, and will be out against the opponents main line every night. As much as Wes deserves a C because of his Verteranship, he simply doesn't have the legs any more to lead a team. Suggestions have been made to let the alternates (Wes, Staal, and Whitney) run the show and some think that only Brindy should wear the C, but in a crisis mode like this the Canes need a clear leader (also meaning one who can play right now) to take the reins. We all know Staal will eventually become the captain in the future and this could be a perfect test of his abilities. He's already shown to be able to wear the A, now let's see if he can wear the C.

No one. Brind'Amour is still on the team, yeah he is injured but he is still part of the team.

The rules are that you can have 1 captain and 2 alternates or 3 alternates. I say we roll with the 3 alternates: Wesley, Staal and Whitney.

Either Wesley, Whitney, or Staal should get it. Originally I felt like Whitney should get it, but yall have a point about leadership and experience. Whitney has that too, but Wesley is 39 freaking years old and is a true franchise player.

If Brind'amour would come back this season, then I'd say hold off on giving the C to anyone. But, even though Brindy will always be the captain of this team until the day he retires, someone needs to man the helm in his absence. Once Brindy comes back during TC this summer, then give the C back to Brindy, but someone needs to take charge of this team until then. We still have a lot of hockey left this season.

I want to see Wesley with a C. He's an unmistakable leader.

But you don't need to have the C to take charge.

Staal stepped it up last night and took charge, he did it without the C. He doesn't need the C now to do it. Nor does Wesley or Whitney or Walker. These guys know what needs to be done and they can do it without taking the C away from Brindy. And I doubt any of these guys want the C as long as Brindy is still on the team.

EDIT: Just heard that Kaiton was on 850 this afternoon and he said that will be no change in the C. Guess that ends this discussion.

I'm sorry and I apologize if I offend some of you in advance, but.........HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MINDS????? :angry: You act like Brind'Amour is dead and buried already. I find that extremely offensive. He is STILL the Captain of the team. It seemed to me that last night Staal stepped up and took the leadership role. As an Assistant, he did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do, fill in when the Captain can't. I'm sure that the Assistant Captains will continue to do that until Rod can do it himself, whether he is on the ice or off.

Off my soap box now.

I vote for nobody. It's not like Brindy is not around. I'm sure he'll hit the gym as soon as he's outta the hospital!!

Leadership is much more than on-ice performance, that's why I don't think Staal should get it. A leader commands respect from the entire team and when he speaks, everyone listens. If someone has to be named, it should be Wesley.

I'm sorry and I apologize if I offend some of you in advance, but.........HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MINDS????? :angry: You act like Brind'Amour is dead and buried already. I find that extremely offensive. He is STILL the Captain of the team. It seemed to me that last night Staal stepped up and took the leadership role. As an Assistant, he did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do, fill in when the Captain can't. I'm sure that the Assistant Captains will continue to do that until Rod can do it himself, whether he is on the ice or off.

Off my soap box now.

The reason we're discussing it is because he's done for the season, and possibly a little bit of next season if rehab doesn't go well.

And A doesn't stand for assistant, it stands for Alternate

Francis got traded and we didnt have another C that season why in the world would we give the C to someone else for 22 games?

They keep suggesting/hinting Staal is the new leader of the team, and that makes me think he'll be wearing the 'C' if anyone does. I thought it would be nice to have Wesley, since he has been with us since Hartford. But then again, it's who stands up in the locker room and sets the game.

C - Staal

A - Wesley

A -Cole (;))

I think you should have the players vote on whether to hand out the C to someone else this year. If so then I think that Wesley should get it, if he keeps playing like is lately then it is a definite. Then go with Staal, Whitney and Walker as the A's.

Rod is still the captain, but I think it would be good to see the big red head get it.