The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
natnat919

Hedican??

Does anyone know exactly what has happened to Hedican? One report said "Lower body issues", but he was expected to play Thurs 2/14 night, and didn't. And he's MIA since..... any info?

i've seen it alot lately and need to know what the heck does MIA mean??

Very confusing indeed. One report on 99.9 was that Hedican tweeked his knee during the Boston game and was okay for practice the next day, but took a turn for the worse overnight. I've not heard anything else. Where did you hear it was his hip?

^ I heard the exact same thing, knee, from John Forslund on the pre-game show with Mike Maniscalco on 2/14. He said the day after it happened Hedican seemed fine but two days later he started having problems.

I hate to say this but the defense seems to be better with him out of the lineup. When he comes back JR might possibly take a look at a deal to ship him out, we have some good young new guys coming up who are playing very well.

I hate to say this but the defense seems to be better with him out of the lineup. When he comes back JR might possibly take a look at a deal to ship him out, we have some good young new guys coming up who are playing very well.

Don't look for that to happen. Bret will probably finish out here for a couple of reasons. He has been a bit injury prone over the last few years and I don't think any other team would look to pick him up in a trade knowing that this is probabaly his last year. Also, while I have, and others have thought that Bret has slowed down (and taken penalties that showed that he has slowed down) he's still a "smart" player that can perhaps show these new guy a few things and if we make the playoffs, then we may need his savy...

BTW, he was a pratice today. I really didin't notice him skating though.

Dwight

BTW, he was a pratice today. I really didin't notice him skating though.

Just for clarification was he on the ice and you didn't notice anything about him skating? or did you just see him leaving practice but don't remember whether or not you saw him on the ice?

Thanks for the update.

Man, some of you guys are hyper-critical. When Hedican chased down Ovechkin from behind to break up a scoring chance the other week, that showed me he can still play. He's the teams leading D-man scorer this season and has a +/- of +13, no one else on the Canes is even close. Get well, Heddy, you'll be needed down the stretch...

Just for clarification was he on the ice and you didn't notice anything about him skating? or did you just see him leaving practice but don't remember whether or not you saw him on the ice?

Thanks for the update.

Leaving practice. His walk looked fine. No "hitch" noticed.

I was not particularly looking for Hedican out on the ice.

There were several players missing today that I noticed. Namely, Cole, Corvo, Gleason & Walker. They may have been there but not out on the ice.

Man, some of you guys are hyper-critical. When Hedican chased down Ovechkin from behind to break up a scoring chance the other week, that showed me he can still play. He's the teams leading D-man scorer this season and has a +/- of +13, no one else on the Canes is even close. Get well, Heddy, you'll be needed down the stretch...

I for one am not too critical of Hedican, Yes I did say he has slowed the last few years, but he is still dangerous. Part of it I'm sure is is health. That play on Ovechkin was a highlight. Sometimes, you will notice that he will take a holding or hooking penality, which usually means the player got beat. There was one game back a couple of weeks ago, it seemed he stayed in the box quite a bit for those type infractions. Hey... It happens to all of them...

Dwight

I hate to say this but the 1. defense seems to be better with him out of the lineup. When he comes back 2. JR might possibly take a look at a deal to ship him out, 3. we have some good young new guys coming up who are playing very well.

1. Couldn't agree more!

2. I sure hope so!

3. Exactly, and the young guns have played a lot better than veterans (on the defensive side)

I strongly believe Borer should be up full time! He has shown that he can play with the Big boys and play well too!

I heard it was his knee acting up again.

i'm not sure though.

The defense seems to have been doing well without him though [not to say we don't need him]

All the new younger defensemen have really stepped up with all the older guys injured.

Hedican's getting old...we need him to retire, because at his age not that many teams would take him.

Hedican has Bursitis in the hip joint when leads to a buildup of fluid. ( he told me this when leaving the game Saturday.)

It could take some time to abate.

Best to get him well for the playoffs which are still a distinct possibility. As well as Borer is playing that takes the heat off him coming back too early.

It's comical to me to hear people mention Wesley/Hedican's age, that they should retire because they're getting too old for hockey. Hedican and Brind'amour were born 1 day apart in 1970, and no one ever says Brindy should retire because he's too old? And Whitney and Walker are right behind them, better get the nursing home ready for these old guys!! LOL

It's comical to me to hear people mention Wesley/Hedican's age, that they should retire because they're getting too old for hockey. Hedican and Brind'amour were born 1 day apart in 1970, and no one ever says Brindy should retire because he's too old? And Whitney and Walker are right behind them, better get the nursing home ready for these old guys!! LOL

It's about how old a player plays. Not really about their age.

Plus EVERYONE jokes about Wes being old. I think one night Tripp said that Wes was around when ice was created :lol: :lol:

Plus EVERYONE jokes about Wes being old. I think one night Tripp said that Wes was around when ice was created :lol: :lol:

fully agree about the age thing.

its not that hedican is old in age, its that he's old in his play. Brind'amour is a perfect example of that. He plays like he's still young, which is what we need a lot of the older guys to do.

I think in Hedican's case its not his age, or his play; it is his injuries. When a player can't stay healthy and is an older player people will call for his retirement because they are frustrated seeing roster space and salary go to a player who isn't always there. If Wesley and Brind'Amour had the nagging problems Hedican has had you'd see the same things about them.

Sadly, I agree. Hedican made an amazing defensive play against Ovechkin and caught him during a breakaway; but all in all, the team seems to be playing much more cohesively without Hedican. I do think Hedican's play was improving this year when he was hurt. I think the defense needs the more physical play of the younger players rather than the experience and wiles that Hedican brings.

I saw that play and it was the best defensive play by the Hurricanes that I've seen all year. Nobody catches Ovechkin when he gets a head of steam. Still, I think the criticism of Hedican for being out of position at times and taking penalties of the kind that a veteran ought not to take is legitimate.

Sorry about this being off topic, but has anyone noticed that Kristi is going to be on Dancing With The Stars? I wonder if this is going to put a kink in his play when he returns if he's able to play. Just a thought.