The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac6

What does JR do now?

Chuck Kaiton said this AM to pick this guy up

mats_sundin.jpg

No Way! First off he is older and slower than dirt. Second you would have to mortgage the future to get him. And third he wouldn't waive his no trade clause to come to Raleigh.

Someone must have slipped Chuck one of those funny cigars to say something like this... :blink:

I think his point is that this is THE guy that we need to fill the void. Is it worth it considering the future and what is would cost?

Not in my opinion but that is a completly different question.

Moot point as he will likley go to a team with better standings to go to the playoffs.

I would trade Cole and Kaberle to Edmonton for Stoll and Pitkanen.

Eaves can fill in on the wing but we do need a centerman now in a bad way.

Ladd/Staal/Samsonov

Whitney/Stoll/Eaves

Walker/Letowski/Bayda

Aucoin/Hamilton/Brookbank

Gleason/Pitkanen

Wesley/Corvo

Borer/Wallin

Ward/Grahame

? Cullen, Seidenberg, Hedican

OUT Long Term - Brind'Amour, Williams, LaRose, Tanabe

Stoll would be nice, but it will take more than a pick or deep prospect to get him.

Peca would actually be the best option at this point if Columbus is willing to trade him. I haven't looked but is Columbus in the playoff picture at this point? We could probably get Peca for a 2nd rd pick or prospect. He will be a FA come July so he would likely be a rental, but he'll beable to get the job done for the couple months that we need him.

As for Sundin, he would be great, but unrealistic. We don't have the assets Toronto will be wanting in return and let's face it, as wonderful as the State of NC is, Sundin will not waive his NTC to come here.

Stoll would be nice, but it will take more than a pick or deep prospect to get him.

Peca would actually be the best option at this point if Columbus is willing to trade him. I haven't looked but is Columbus in the playoff picture at this point? We could probably get Peca for a 2nd rd pick or prospect. He will be a FA come July so he would likely be a rental, but he'll beable to get the job done for the couple months that we need him.

As for Sundin, he would be great, but unrealistic. We don't have the assets Toronto will be wanting in return and let's face it, as wonderful as the State of NC is, Sundin will not waive his NTC to come here.

As per Stoll, EDM has a looming cap crunch and coughed up a ton of picks to the Ducks to sign Penner. They won't want a player back in return especially with a ton of young guys they want to feature next year. If they want to re-sign Pitkanen, Stoll is gone as they have soured on him a bit now. They have actively shopped him earlier this year and the asking price was a high pick and a prospect. Nobody will give up a #1 pick for him b/c he is a complementary player, which is why I speculated a 2nd or 3rd and a prospect.

I'd pass on Peca, as his best days are gone and he does little at even strength other than offer decent checking.

Sundin is a non-issue as there is almost zero chance he would come here and even less the Canes would mortgage the farm for the chance just to make it to the playoffs.

I'm afraid JR has to do something. The other teams in the SE will not stand pat. If anything, i think this injury makes them more inclined to make a deal. They now see us as weaker and maybe out of contention, meaning their odds just got better to take the division. Maybe adding a player will be just what they need to separate themselves. So depending on Albany won't be a winning strategy for us. We have to make a move, without hurting ourselves long term.

That is a heck of a task for JR. I hope he is getting creative.

I think the biggest problem now is that we are officially out of guys to give up to fill voids. Basically all we have is the Albany guys (which now has a good number of ECHLers) and picks and prospects.

I would trade Cole and Kaberle to Edmonton for Stoll and Pitkanen.

If Edmonton agreed to that deal I would strongly question Lowe's sanity and figure the only time he's watched Kaberle play was the cup finals and last night.

I think the biggest problem now is that we are officially out of guys to give up to fill voids. Basically all we have is the Albany guys (which now has a good number of ECHLers) and picks and prospects.

Right, which means the Canes will need to trade picks or true prospects (guys who are still a year + away) to land players.

It'll be interesting to see how JR AND Lavi end up handling things. Seeing guys like Stiller and Commie get shipped off and losing players like Brindy, Willie and Rosie for the season due to injuries really tough, not to mention not knowing when Cullen, Seids end Eaves will be ready to return. Eventhough I really liked the enthusiasm and chemistry in last night's Rat-Squad, most of them are only temporary fixes while a few must have huge question marks behind their names, if they will be good enough to finish the season or have what it takes IF the Canes make the playoffs.

I don't expect anything major....I mean getting a guy like Sundin (who I love and admire), will cost picks and prospects that we are thin on. Unfortunately J.R. is in a tough spot, and truth is, if we can't make the playoffs, or know we can't go that deep in the playoffs, why risk so much?

I'm not saying were out of it, but Canes have to wait an see over the next week to see if they can continue to win hockey games, cause no one can be blamed really for the vast amount of injuries and concussions, flu, etc. Getting a Rental player isn't as cheap as it used to be. I'm fine with J.R. staying away for a rental player for now, only trade I'd like to see him make is one that'll help us next season as well, or one that allows us to possibly get rid of Kaberle, thats about it.

He brought in samsonov, who's answered the bell, he has now recently traded for Corvo and a young Patrick Eaves, you can't ask him to make all these trades to fill the void for all these injuries in one season.

I'm torn... While I think going with what we got now is a sensible thing (note we did play 58 minutes without BrindAmour last night and looked more solid then I've seen us in a while), the clock is ticking up to the trade deadline. I'm fearful of making a move out of desparation or knee-jerk reacting. I dont think JR will do that. I do however think he already had another trade in the works and now it might mean modifying some of what he was trying to get out of that.

Sundin -> NO way, we'd be out of our minds

Peca -> I just dont see him bringing hte right chemistry to the team not to mention, not to impressed with him

hmmm, lets get Jordan Staal and Stoll and we'll call it the JEJ line

Peca -> I just dont see him bringing hte right chemistry to the team not to mention, not to impressed with him

Hmmmmm, one of the top penalty killing forwards over the last 10 years and the Canes happen to have the, oh yeah 30th ranked PK in the league. Not to mention your best face off/PK forward just went down. I tend to think it would be a good fit if, and it is a big if, he could stay healthy.

Hmmmmm, one of the top penalty killing forwards over the last 10 years and the Canes happen to have the, oh yeah 30th ranked PK in the league. Not to mention your best face off/PK forward just went down. I tend to think it would be a good fit if, and it is a big if, he could stay healthy.

Isn't this team trading for a forward with a history of injury problems like a bar hiring an alcoholic to be the bar tender?

I mean it could work out but in the end seems like signing up for problems.

Isn't this team trading for a forward with a history of injury problems like a bar hiring an alcoholic to be the bar tender?

I mean it could work out but in the end seems like signing up for problems.

In Peca's case, he has 25 games to stay healthy, you can probably get him for next to nothing, and if it doesn't work out he is no longer the Canes problem after April 4. It is a low risk situation.

JR sounds like he's looking around hard:

"Well, we are certainly going to see what's available that can get us through this period of time," Rutherford said. "You know, we get Matt Cullen back, we get [Patrick] Eaves back, we get our defense back, we still have a good team. We know that we're going to miss Rod Brind'Amour, just like we miss Justin Williams and we missed a lot of other players with injuries.

"But these is the times, these are the real times where different players step up and often contribute more. That's what we're going to do now and we have to see what's available from other teams."

"Well, we are certainly going to see what's available that can get us through this period of time," Rutherford said. "You know, we get Matt Cullen back, we get [Patrick] Eaves back, we get our defense back, we still have a good team. We know that we're going to miss Rod Brind'Amour, just like we miss Justin Williams and we missed a lot of other players with injuries.

"But these is the times, these are the real times where different players step up and often contribute more. That's what we're going to do now and we have to see what's available from other teams."

TSA do you have a status update on these players?

thank you, med is appreciative :)

Both Eaves and Cullen were put on the IR yesterday so they could make room for the callups on the roster. Im not sure what the minimum is if they've been put on the IR (6 days?) but neither has been a given target date that Ive heard. Only thing I did hear was Laviolette quoted as saying Eaves could be 5days or 2 weeks, and Cullen wasnt even on the radar yet, pretty vague.

Gleason and Corvo should be fine Tuesday at the latest depending how bad the flu was.

Looking ahead at next weeks schedule.....oy.

Both Eaves and Cullen were put on the IR yesterday so they could make room for the callups on the roster. Im not sure what the minimum is if they've been put on the IR (6 days?) but neither has been a given target date that Ive heard. Only thing I did hear was Laviolette quoted as saying Eaves could be 5days or 2 weeks, and Cullen wasnt even on the radar yet, pretty vague.

Gleason and Corvo should be fine Tuesday at the latest depending how bad the flu was.

Looking ahead at next weeks schedule.....oy.