The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Thoughts on Buffalo

^I really don't even know what went on there. After that was reported, I saw something about how that was the wrong info and it was Drury who changed his mind. But I really have no clue. All I know is that the Sabres DID fight for Drury and offer him the same thing as the Rangers, but he wanted to live his childhood dream of playing for them instead. And I guess I can't really blame him for that. And the Flyers offered Briere a RIDICULOUS contract. There's no way in hell the Sabres could or would compete with that and I wouldn't want them too. No one would take the "hometown discount" over that monster of a contract.

But I really don't want to know all the details to be honest. Thinking about these things just gives me a headache, I'd rather just move on and focus on the guys we have now.

And seriously, maybe I am overly optimistic, but I think we can be fine. Will we win the presidents trophy? I certainly don't think so, but I definitely think the Sabres can still be "good." As much as people like to think it was, our team was never the Drury or Briere show. Yes, Drury is clutch and it's a tremendous loss, and Briere wracked up the points last year, but they weren't the only ones. We still have Vanek (yeah yeah he doesn't have a contract yet)) and hopefully Tim Connolly will return to form. We have some great young guys like Gaustad and Campbell who have started to take more of a leadership role. We have Pominville, and Drew Stafford, and all of the other great young guys in Rochester just waiting to come back up. We have Tallinder and Lydman (both locked up for three more years), and then we have Miller in goal, who proved to everyone in the playoffs that he is the real deal. And they always seem to play better when the odds are against them anyways.

And TSA asked what Ryan Miller is thinking:

Ryan Miller was one of many Sabres disappointed they failed to retain one of their co-captains. But the All-Star goalie took a defiant tone in looking ahead.

And second, because I've got the feeling we'll be in their shoes in a few years whenever Cole and Staal become UFAs.

Not quite exactly in their shoes. Staal becomes an RFA the same time that Cole becomes a UFA, so any team wanting to offer him a whopper would have to compensate us. Also, it's unlikely we would wait as long as the Slugs' management did to give them fair offers.

I've got the feeling we'll be in their shoes in a few years whenever Cole and Staal become UFAs.

The Sabres are a great case study as to how not to run an NHL team. In the end, you can't keep everyone, but at least the fans should expect the business end is run in a competent manner. Buffalo has proven they know how to build a team, but with the disgrunted fans, it's time for GM to go...or face an abominable Flyers-like season, and permanently impaired cap structure.

I've got the feeling we'll be in their shoes in a few years whenever Cole and Staal become UFAs.

The Sabres are a great case study as to how not to run an NHL team. In the end, you can't keep everyone, but at least the fans should expect the business end is run in a competent manner. Buffalo has proven they know how to build a team, but with the disgrunted fans, it's time for GM to go...or face an abominable Flyers-like season, and permanently impaired cap structure.

Exactly. And we might not beable to keep both, but you better bet, JR will ensure Staal is locked up as he's the franchise player. JR won't loose both.

Exactly. And we might not beable to keep both, but you better bet, JR will ensure Staal is locked up as he's the franchise player. JR won't loose both.

I agree, you hate to lose both but if you can only lock up one then it would have to be Staal unless Cole does some amazing things the next three seasons.

I have been one that has openly shown my disdain for Buffalo and their fans but now feel a bit sad (ok not as much as i should but still a bit). Losing both of their Captians has to really suck. It is equivalent of us losing both Staal and Brindy. so what is everyone elses take on this.

I was sitting beside 2 Buffalo fans at a Canes game this past year when we were playing the NY Rangers, they were nice and respectful to me but they dissed our fans. They said the Canes should be ashamed that we were the Stanley Cup Champs and could not even sell out our games, it made me feel bad, I was with my family and did not want to start something especially with my son-in-law's temper. They said this would never happen in Buffalo. They kept making references to Staal as a P---y little girl. Their lucky they did not make any negative references to Brindy, you would have seen 2 Buffalos hitting the ice from the 300 Section. I have had no use for Buffalo or their fans since. I really don't care how they feel, mad, glad, sad-they deserve it!!!!!!

I have been one that has openly shown my disdain for Buffalo and their fans but now feel a bit sad (ok not as much as i should but still a bit). Losing both of their Captians has to really suck. It is equivalent of us losing both Staal and Brindy. so what is everyone elses take on this.

I was sitting beside 2 Buffalo fans at a Canes game this past year when we were playing the NY Rangers, they were nice and respectful to me but they dissed our fans. They said the Canes should be ashamed that we were the Stanley Cup Champs and could not even sell out our games, it made me feel bad, I was with my family and did not want to start something especially with my son-in-law's temper. They said this would never happen in Buffalo. They kept making references to Staal as a P---y little girl. Their lucky they did not make any negative references to Brindy, you would have seen 2 Buffalos hitting the ice from the 300 Section. I have had no use for Buffalo or their fans since. I really don't care how they feel, mad, glad, sad-they deserve it!!!!!!

It was tons worse than that at the ECF that year, I didn't realize that people would act that way in public. Thought they had more common sense, shows how much I know!! LOL Though I have a couple of friends from that area, I lost all respect for the team and their fans (with the exception of a few posters on here).

I realize that this thread IS about Buffalo but PLEASE DO NOT turn this into another "all that is bad about fans from Buffalo" thread. Comment all you want about the situation they're in but no more threads about their ill behaving fans. We all know how awful it was and have at least 1000 threads covering this subject. Nuff said.

Thank you.

I realize that this thread IS about Buffalo but PLEASE DO NOT turn this into another "all that is bad about fans from Buffalo" thread. Comment all you want about the situation they're in but no more threads about their ill behaving fans. We all know how awful it was and have at least 1000 threads covering this subject. Nuff said.

Thank you.

Buffalo still has alot of talent. I wouldn't start jumping for joy so quickly.

>jinx mode on< :lol:

The same thing was said on the Sabres board and another Sabres fan response was "Are you somking crack?"

Without the two capt, the Sabres have nothing. You take Brindy and Staal away from the Canes, you think we could honstley win more than 20 games? I don't. Yea, we have some other goog players but Brindy and Staal are the core of this team just like Drury and Briere were to the Sabres.

Well you had Brindy & Staal last year and you didn't even make the playoffs.

One of the reasons you went from Stanley Cup Champs to not even making the playoffs is because you were destroyed by free agency. You lost Matt Cullen, Martin Gerber, Mark Recchi, Aaron Ward and Doug Weight.

The loss of Briere and Drury will hurt my team but we still have the core of my team intact.

The Sabres won't be as good as they were the last 2 years but they'll still be pretty good. I'm guessing 6th in the conference.

GO SABRES!!

One of the reasons you went from Stanley Cup Champs to not even making the playoffs is because you were destroyed by free agency. You lost Matt Cullen, Martin Gerber, Mark Recchi, Aaron Ward and Doug Weight.

The loss of Briere and Drury will hurt my team but we still have the core of my team intact.

The Sabres won't be as good as they were the last 2 years but they'll still be pretty good. I'm guessing 6th in the conference.

GO SABRES!!

That may have been one of the reasons but only a small one. We also had the core locked up but tbhere were other factors as to why we didn't make the playoffs.

I don't think the Sabres will be a huge force but they have plenty of talent along with a great development program. Some young Amerks are going to get a decent shot at the playing consistently for the NHL this year. The biggest piece the Sabre's are lacking is leadership. I know Teppo re-signed but Drury left a much bigger hole than he can fill not to mention, the kind of leadership Drury supplied will be hard to replace. It would be better to have a completely different type of leader take over that team rather than to try and re-create what was previously there (and didn't exctly bring home a championship).

GO SABRES!!

That may have been one of the reasons but only a small one. We also had the core locked up but tbhere were other factors as to why we didn't make the playoffs.

I don't think the Sabres will be a huge force but they have plenty of talent along with a great development program. Some young Amerks are going to get a decent shot at the playing consistently for the NHL this year. The biggest piece the Sabre's are lacking is leadership. I know Teppo re-signed but Drury left a much bigger hole than he can fill not to mention, the kind of leadership Drury supplied will be hard to replace. It would be better to have a completely different type of leader take over that team rather than to try and re-create what was previously there (and didn't exctly bring home a championship).

I don't understand all this bickering....

What happened to Buffalo should scare Carolina just as much. Canes fans shouldn't be laughing, they should be worried.

A good buddy of mine was explaining to me the significance of "front-end loading" a contract and the long term effects it will have on the NHL and especially on small market teams. Before the lockout small market teams complained (and many people on here complained) that large market teams were able to take advantage of their demographics to drive salaries up. Both small and non-traditional markets like Carolina, Buffalo, Edmonton, New Jersey, Florida, Nashville complained that they just didn't have the revenue to compete with teams like Toronto, Detroit, and New York, who would gobble up all the free agents with insanely high contracts.

The lockout and the new CBA was supposed to fix all this. It was supposed to make things more fair for both big and small markets, but what happened to the Sabres almost proves that nothing has changed. Bettman made a huge mistake by allowing "front-end loading" on contract, because it creates a distinction between cap space and a teams actual annual costs.

For example.....

Briere got 6.5 million for 8 years in Phillie, but he's not actually getting paid 6.5 million a year.

Instead his contract works like this....

Year 1: 10.000, Year 2: 8.000, Year 3: 8.000, Year 4: 7.000, Year 5: 7.000, Year 6: 7.000, Year 7: 3.000, Year 8: 2.000

Drury's contract makes a little more sense, it's not really front loaded. He'll make 7.1 million dollars for the next two seasons but his cap hit will only be 7.05. However is he worth 7.05 million a season? It's debatable.

Vanek's contract is just like Briere's, despite being a restricted free, Buffalo not only had to match Edmonton's offer, but also match the yearly give out as well. Vanek is already getting over payed with a cap hit of 7.1 per year, but he gets 10 million in his first year.

Year 1: 10.000, Year 2: 8.000, Year 3: 6.400, Year 4: 6.400, Year 5: 6.400, Year 6: 6.400, Year 7: 6.400

This is a HUGE problem. If Buffalo had tried to give both Briere and Drury the money they were going for, the team would be in big financial troubles. Despite the fact that all three players combined would only reach a cap hit of 20.693 million, their actual cost for next year would have been 27 million. That extra 7 million could make or break a small markets chances of staying out of the red once the season is over. In other words Buffalo management had to make a choice....either sign these front loaded contracts and lose money this season, or let two of them go. The same thing could be said about Gomez in New Jersey, who got a front loaded contract from New York.

Think of it this way.....Carolina has always had trouble making a profit as well. In 2 years, both Erik Cole and Eric Staal's contracts end. Now imagine Canes management says "Staal and Cole, we're going to offer you both 6.5 million per year for 7 years to stay in Carolina". However, then New York/Detroit/Toronto/Phillie/etc come along and say "Staal/Cole we're going to offer you the same amount of money but we'll give you 11 million your first year, 10 million your second, 8 million your third, 6.5 your fourth, 5 million your fifth year, 3 million your sixth year, and 2 million your last year".

The conclusion is both Staal and Cole could leave (despite Staal being a RFA) simply because the Canes organisation can't afford to pay 22 million dollars to two players in a single year without driving the team's revenue into the red, or letting other players go and become a cellar team with two star players. In other words, the lockout and the new CBA haven't fixed jack squat, and what happened to Buffalo can very easily happen to Carolina.

Buffalo still has alot of talent. I wouldn't start jumping for joy so quickly.

>jinx mode on< :lol:

The same thing was said on the Sabres board and another Sabres fan response was "Are you somking crack?"

Without the two capt, the Sabres have nothing. You take Brindy and Staal away from the Canes, you think we could honstley win more than 20 games? I don't. Yea, we have some other goog players but Brindy and Staal are the core of this team just like Drury and Briere were to the Sabres.

Well you had Brindy & Staal last year and you didn't even make the playoffs.

GO SABRES!!

What a pant load, Recchi and Weight were rentals pure and simple. The organization wanted to hand the starting job to Cam and Gerbs didn't want to play backup so the only real loss was Cullen and Ward with Ward being the one really missed. Not a bad price to pay for the Stanley Cup, it is better than almost getting there twice!! We will always have that banner to look at that says "2006 Stanley Cup Champions". I don't know of any team that wins the cup and keeps the entire team intact!!

What happened to Buffalo should scare Carolina just as much. Canes fans shouldn't be laughing, they should be worried.

A good buddy of mine was explaining to me the significance of "front-end loading" a contract and the long term effects it will have on the NHL and especially on small market teams. Before the lockout small market teams complained (and many people on here complained) that large market teams were able to take advantage of their demographics to drive salaries up. Both small and non-traditional markets like Carolina, Buffalo, Edmonton, New Jersey, Florida, Nashville complained that they just didn't have the revenue to compete with teams like Toronto, Detroit, and New York, who would gobble up all the free agents with insanely high contracts.

The lockout and the new CBA was supposed to fix all this. It was supposed to make things more fair for both big and small markets, but what happened to the Sabres almost proves that nothing has changed. Bettman made a huge mistake by allowing "front-end loading" on contract, because it creates a distinction between cap space and a teams actual annual costs.

For example.....

Briere got 6.5 million for 8 years in Phillie, but he's not actually getting paid 6.5 million a year.

Year 1: 10.000, Year 2: 8.000, Year 3: 8.000, Year 4: 7.000, Year 5: 7.000, Year 6: 7.000, Year 7: 3.000, Year 8: 2.000

Drury's contract makes a little more sense, it's not really front loaded. He'll make 7.1 million dollars for the next two seasons but his cap hit will only be 7.05. However is he worth 7.05 million a season? It's debatable.

Vanek's contract is just like Briere's, despite being a restricted free, Buffalo not only had to match Edmonton's offer, but also match the yearly give out as well. Vanek is already getting over payed with a cap hit of 7.1 per year, but he gets 10 million in his first year.

Year 1: 10.000, Year 2: 8.000, Year 3: 6.400, Year 4: 6.400, Year 5: 6.400, Year 6: 6.400, Year 7: 6.400

This is a HUGE problem. If Buffalo had tried to give both Briere and Drury the money they were going for, the team would be in big financial troubles. Despite the fact that all three players combined would only reach a cap hit of 20.693 million, their actual cost for next year would have been 27 million. That extra 7 million could make or break a small markets chances of staying out of the red once the season is over. In other words Buffalo management had to make a choice....either sign these front loaded contracts and lose money this season, or let two of them go. The same thing could be said about Gomez in New Jersey, who got a front loaded contract from New York.

Think of it this way.....Carolina has always had trouble making a profit as well. In 2 years, both Erik Cole and Eric Staal's contracts end. Now imagine Canes management says "Staal and Cole, we're going to offer you both 6.5 million per year for 7 years to stay in Carolina". However, then New York/Detroit/Toronto/Phillie/etc come along and say "Staal/Cole we're going to offer you the same amount of money but we'll give you 11 million your first year, 10 million your second, 8 million your third, 6.5 your fourth, 5 million your fifth year, 3 million your sixth year, and 2 million your last year".

The conclusion is both Staal and Cole could leave (despite Staal being a RFA) simply because the Canes organisation can't afford to pay 22 million dollars to two players in a single year without driving the team's revenue into the red, or letting other players go and become a cellar team with two star players. In other words, the lockout and the new CBA haven't fixed jack squat, and what happened to Buffalo can very easily happen to Carolina.

Who's bickering? I think people here get that the new CBA is trouble and will most definately effect smaller markets for the worse.

For example.....

Who's bickering? I think people here get that the new CBA is trouble and will most definately effect smaller markets for the worse.