The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CardiacCane

Post Game Analysis 2/23-Caps

Awesome game tonight for the power play. Our penalty kill is still horrid though, Cam made some good saves, but if the offense wasn't jumping, the two weak goals he let in could have been big. Corvo and Cullen look great at the point on the powerplay. Great game.

Awesome game tonight for the power play. Our penalty kill is still horrid though, Cam made some good saves, but if the offense wasn't jumping, the two weak goals he let in could have been big. Corvo and Cullen look great at the point on the powerplay. Great game.

All I have to say is... YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT WIN tonight!!!!!! 'nuff said.

Great win. The PK was not very good, although one of the goal the Caps scored on their PP was on Cam. Like the old hokey saying says, "Your best penalty killer has to be your goalie." The Canes took Ovechkin out of his game and Olie the goalie also. Facing 40 + shots, he probably thought he was the only Cap on the ice. On Staal's goal, Olie looked completely lost, not knowing where the puck was. The Canes won this one wiht overwhelming offensive firepower and attacking the net. The one or two softies, depending on your perspective, Cam allowed, could have been devastating if the the Canes offense had not produced as much as it did. If the Canes want to make a run deep into the playoffs, better goal tending is vital by whoever is in thenet is vital.

Congrats to Joe Corvo -- he was selected as the NHL.com Number 3 Star of the Three Stars of the Night...quite a feat since there were 11 games to choose from!

Love the way the Tropical Storms (with all the injuries, surely the Hurricanes are downgraded...but still powerful!! ;) ) are playing. For this stretch of games, they are FINALLY doing what they've been saying they wanted to do for months....keep the game simple, shoot, get pucks to the net, and finish. Several were critical of the effort against Boston...'why all those shots?' 'it's quality not quantity' etc., etc. Here, the same approach paid dividends all game. Only Cullin's first goal was initially shot in...all the other Canes goals were started by fairly routine shots (a Conboy weak wrister, a Staal shot into Kolzig's chest, etc.) but it was that quantity in conjunction with getting players to the net that was huge. Can't remember the last time I saw the Canes score 5 goals basically from just outside the crease area. Takes a hard-working team to do that.

Congrats to Joe Corvo on his first goal as a Cane, his three points and "Star" selection for Saturday. When Corvo scored it was mentioned that Kaberle at one time, maybe the 2005 -2006 season, pinched and would get a goal in the same fashion. So I have to ask, how much has is shoulder injury affected him given his play this year?

Cam Ward made some huge saves but his confidence still doesn't seem to be what it was. Nonetheless some of those saves were huge.

My turning point of the game was when the Canes scored on two of their power plays with Washington having 3 1/2 men out on the ice. On two power plays there was a Washington player without a stick...........I think I saw that right.

Having Matt Cullen back is just huge IMO. He does so many different things very well. Welcome back, Matt.

Nice effort by EVERYONE!

Excellent game last night. Definite playoff atmosphere on the ice.

Cullen looked good, playing almost 18 minutes.

Five rebound(dirty) goals last night. Showed the team willing to play the trenches.

(Staal, Cullen, Cole, Ladd, Corvo) We were missing those during our slump.

Ward made some stellar saves when he had to.

1st goal given up Ward should have had.

2nd goal given up I put on Staal. Though it was good to see him play physical on Oveckin,

it put him out of position and left up out numbered down low (4 on 3)

3rd goal surprised Ward.

Now if the Devils can beat the Caps today, that would make a great end to the weekend.

Great game, and it broke my 'curse' of whenever I go to a Canes game the Canes dont win in regulation! We got lots of shots on net and a lot of 'dirty' goals but hey I will take 6 goals any way we can get them. Hopefully we can play like this the rest of the season, because if we can i can maybe see us getting past the first round if we make the playoffs.

The word of the day: CONFIDENCE. The Canes have it, and it is wonderful.

Trade Joe Corvo. He is obviously worthless and useless on our power play. Our PP hasn't improved at all with him quarterbacking it. Worst trade ever. Can we get Anson Carter back for him? [/sarcasm]

Cullen was fantastic. He, Corvo, and Whitney made quite the combo on the PP today. Cole and Staal busted their butts today, and Scotty Walker and the Rat Pack came with the A effort as usual. And CONBOY was awesome. That is all.

I disagree about Corvo. They were 4 for 7, Joe was all over the ice in the offensive zone on the power play and mobility can be a key to good chances because it either gets the penalty killers out of position or tires them out. He has a good wrist and slap shot too. Plus over 40 shots in each of the last 3 games means a great effort and the assists Joe has shows he's contributing to the offense. It's common knowledge he's a little loose defensively, but I've still seen him make some great defensive plays too since his arrival.

The Canes seemed to learn something in that game when Kolzig was making some great saves early and that was that he doesn't control rebounds. It seemed like that dawned on all of the team at once, then they would bomb shots on goal and 2 or 3 guys would rush in looking for the loose puck. It was great to see!

They do seem like a confident bunch right now, so it's time to beat up on New Jersey and really prove it.

I disagree about Corvo. They were 4 for 7, Joe was all over the ice in the offensive zone on the power play and mobility can be a key to good chances because it either gets the penalty killers out of position or tires them out. He has a good wrist and slap shot too. Plus over 40 shots in each of the last 3 games means a great effort and the assists Joe has shows he's contributing to the offense. It's common knowledge he's a little loose defensively, but I've still seen him make some great defensive plays too since his arrival.

Did you miss the sarcasm tag at the end of the Corvo statement? ;)

Still loved last night's game. Now, our powerplay clicked last night, but it also clicked in Pittsburgh which was followed by a long stretch of a whole lotta nothing. Let's hope we can keep this up.

This was a great win and a telling win. While it was fun and important to beat up on Atlanta, Atlanta was having a major bad game, and basically threw in the towel at the first puck drop. Washington, on the other hand, they came to play. That was clear by the way they came out and controlled the first 10 minutes. But the Canes held their ground, and despite a softish first goal and a 1-2 deficit, they just kept the foot on the gas. Washington is a much better defensive team than Atlanta also. This one was a great sign.

Ward. Ward played well enough to win. He made some big saves, and let a couple of stoppable pucks in. I think we are good with Ward playing like an average NHL starter, which he has been. Can't afford a slip back to below average, and if he tightens up on the softies a little, we will be great.

The huge blemish on this win was the consistantly horrid PK. Obviously the stats prove that we are the absolute worst PK in the NHL, but we look even worse than that. Teams just toy with us and get great shot after great shot, often pinging the post a couple of times before scoring. Just like with Ward, we can go far with an average PK, but it's pretty hard to go very far if you are dead last in any category.

Still, overall, the team is playing with confidence in the system and getting contributions from everyone. Very encouraging.

If we can compete strongly and even win vs. NJ, then we are back.

Great game!

Great game to be at. Section I sat in was filled with.... them guys from the north(bus load)... I loved waving teh storm flags and watching Kolzig get POed... Thought the guys showed some grit and lots of determination. Was a little worried in the first by Cams play. He scares me and I how B works on him with the one on one and shoot outs...

Have to say have not heard alot about Wesley... Hope he was OK for Amanda's birthday...

Did you miss the sarcasm tag at the end of the Corvo statement? ;)

Still loved last night's game. Now, our powerplay clicked last night, but it also clicked in Pittsburgh which was followed by a long stretch of a whole lotta nothing. Let's hope we can keep this up.

Oppps, sorry! I saw the sarcasm tag but I thought that was directed only at the Carter reference!

Capitals Lose Crucial Ground

Capitals Report (Wasington Post)

Ladd slipped loose of Capitals defenseman John Erskine in front of the net and flipped a rebound over Kolzig at 3 minutes 50 seconds of the third to put the Hurricanes ahead 5-3. Corvo clinched the victory with a power-play goal at 7:44, putting away yet another second-opportunity shot.

Washington's penalty kill came into the game having snuffed out 22 straight short-handed situations. The unit ended up surrendering a season-worst four goals on the power play to a Carolina team that had not scored on its previous 17 opportunities with the man advantage.

Defenseman Tom Poti said uneven officiating contributed to his team's problems.

"It's tough enough to beat the Hurricanes but we had to beat the refs tonight, too," said Poti, who was in the box when Erik Cole scored in the second period. "And we couldn't do that."

Boudreau said he thought his players allowed themselves to become distracted by what they perceived as unfair officiating.

"You can't do it for 20 minutes, then face a little adversity and get down on yourself and looking for excuses," he said. "Whether it's yelling at the refs, right or wrong. But that's what we did. Instead of pushing back, we felt bad for ourselves, like we were getting shortchanged."

Brooks Laich's second goal in two games tied the score, 3-3, at 8:47 of the second period, but that's as close as the Capitals would get. Eric Staal crashed the net and scored the go-ahead goal on a rebound in front at 16:39 of the second period. It was all Hurricanes after that.

Capitals Lose Crucial Ground

Capitals Report (Wasington Post)

Ladd slipped loose of Capitals defenseman John Erskine in front of the net and flipped a rebound over Kolzig at 3 minutes 50 seconds of the third to put the Hurricanes ahead 5-3. Corvo clinched the victory with a power-play goal at 7:44, putting away yet another second-opportunity shot.

Washington's penalty kill came into the game having snuffed out 22 straight short-handed situations. The unit ended up surrendering a season-worst four goals on the power play to a Carolina team that had not scored on its previous 17 opportunities with the man advantage.

"It's tough enough to beat the Hurricanes but we had to beat the refs tonight, too," said Poti, who was in the box when Erik Cole scored in the second period. "And we couldn't do that."

Boudreau said he thought his players allowed themselves to become distracted by what they perceived as unfair officiating.

"You can't do it for 20 minutes, then face a little adversity and get down on yourself and looking for excuses," he said. "Whether it's yelling at the refs, right or wrong. But that's what we did. Instead of pushing back, we felt bad for ourselves, like we were getting shortchanged."

Brooks Laich's second goal in two games tied the score, 3-3, at 8:47 of the second period, but that's as close as the Capitals would get. Eric Staal crashed the net and scored the go-ahead goal on a rebound in front at 16:39 of the second period. It was all Hurricanes after that.

I don't see what was so unfair about the officiating, but at least they're not accusing us of diving or anything like that.

I dunno about the players, but the Caps fans felt that officials who were in no position to make the calls were making them. Such as, to use a Canes example, the tripping call on Ladd. Ladd and Semin (I believe) were behind the net, and Semin goes down. The ref that was behind the net, and had a good view of the play didn't make a call, but the referee that was on the blue line and had his view obstructed by Ward felt that there was a trip involved.

[/i]

What? They got away with the biggest penalty of the game, Brashear dangerously hitting Letowski from behind and cutting him open, that could've easily been a a double minor, or a major penalty.

"Defenseman Tom Poti said uneven officiating contributed to his team's problems. "It's tough enough to beat the Hurricanes but we had to beat the refs tonight, too," said Poti, who was in the box when Erik Cole scored in the second period. "And we couldn't do that."

The Caniac I sleep with was really on the ref when Letowski was hit. The replay showed the referee looking away from the hit in the direction of the play. I told her not to worry, officiating would tighten up for the Caps after that hit. And it did. I watch a lot of other sports and hockey officials seem to be the best of the best.

With some exceptions (the 2 diving calls last year come to mind) the replay shows the officials to be right on with their calls. How they miss seeing some is hard to understand (Roddy taking a high stick after a puck drop e.g.) but that happens. Nobody wants to see someone injured, the referees included, and certainly not injured on a low-life hit like Letowski took.

"Boudreau said he thought his players allowed themselves to become distracted by what they perceived as unfair officiating. " Good for Bruce. Put the loss squarely where it belonged.