The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
one-timer

Post Game Analysis 2/27-NJ

Brind'Amour, Justin Williams, Dennis Seidenburg, Cory Stillman, Mike Commodore, Andrew Ladd, David Tannabe, Jeff Hamilton, Craig Adams are not on the ice as we beat the current number 1 team in the East.

Thing is why do you still have stillman and commie, ladd, and craig adams?

I also left out Joe Corvo and I think it was my rain-soaked brain that caused that.

Corvo is playing very very solid for us. I knew he could QB the power play and put a hard shot on the net, but he has been positionally quite solid for us since he arrived. What did concern me is we had 2-3 sloppy line changes that will cost us VS a faster team. We've got to get that worked out.

Props to the crowd, for a Tuesday night game it sounded like a game 5 in a 2-2 series.

I feel like in the trades we've gained way more motivation then talent to be honest. This is one heck of a motivated team right and you can tell by the guys who are trying to keep thier spots (Aucoin, Bayda , Conboy) and the new additions trying to prove thier worth Samsonov, Corvo, Ruutu. Despite losing 2 of our best guys for the season we look far more like a team then we did before.

Cam's looking like hes starting to understand its a one goalie team at this point. He's playing like he knows if he stinks up the joint he's not gonna be able to hide on the bench. Which is great he just outdueled the best goalie in the game.

Conboy is making a real statement to stay in the form of leaving his shoulderprint on people.

I am not sure Stillman, Commie, Ladd and Adams being gone hurt us though. We did get players back so it's not like this team is playing shorthanded 9 players. BUT! It is still a rather astonishing 5 players. Honestly....I am very shocked to see how much better this team is playing without Brindy.... almost scary. It makes me ponder what might have been going on in the locker room.

Ruutu is going to be an absolute fan favorite. The crowd went bananas when he got high sticked and left a pint of blood on the ice and no call was made. That was infuriating. And it's clear that he absolutely loves to hit people, and hitting people is allowed in hockey despite what one might have thought watching Carolina play in December and January. Between Ruutu and Brookbank and Walker, we've got some sandpaper that was missing earlier this year. We're not going to allow teams to kick sand in our faces and take our lunch money. We're still a skating team, but we no longer look allergic to contact.

And Corvo - wow. Watching him move the puck really makes it clear how poor we were at doing that without him. Maybe it will wear off on Kaberle and return to something approaching what he was in the playoffs two years ago.

Wallin had a dog of a game. He bailed on a couple of plays too soon, and was out of position more than once. Team did well covering for him.

Big props to the crowd. It was clearly a playoff game in everyone's minds, and we've become a knowledgeable crowd. Huge ovation after we kept them in our end for what felt like 5 straight minutes in the 3rd without a clear. TV TO saved them - they were gassed.

Good writeup Onetimer. I think Cam and our D looked very confident tonight and would have deserved the shutout if not for Hedican's little mishap. For the large part it looked like we beat the Devils playing their own game and even had better chances to pull ahead in regulation. An anomaly or something to look forward to in the remaining 18 games? Brooky's fights, well, I wouldn't say he dominated them but he did send a message. I was also impressed with Ruutu, Staal, Sammy and Walker and his Rats. Hope Ruutu can make it for the Rags game. I would love nothing more than seeing him zeroing in on Avery or Orr.

I'm starting to like these playoff atmospheres...the team realizing it's time to cash the check in on making the sweet 16...just love the energy and effort from everybody...for the first time in a long while I feel completely comfortable watching the Carolina Hurricanes play as a team every night. Coupled alongside with the new additions and total team effort, it's so refreshing to see some of our "veterans" (Staal, Cole, Walker, Ward, Kaberle...YES even Kaberle) and others step up to the plate and bring IT all game long. We wanted this win, and for the most part the team showed it...finished so strong too...with no lapses in-between! Just remarkable...season seemed lost not too long ago...the injuries and everything else...but now look at us...we're headed towards making the playoffs...with confidence!

-Ruutu is awesome...if he brings THAT every night then holy Lord we're gonna have one helluva of a hitter and player. Also I think he has a BIG shot...damn I see SO MUCH potential with this guy...so dynamic...things that I never saw with Ladd.

-Eaves looked slow...cautious maybe. He'll get healthier, and better.

-I like how players seem to fit in so well here in Carolina...makes me feel all nice inside. Samsonov is nothing short of incredible...just loved how Emrick stated "well here comes Samsonov moving like his old Boston days..." I mean this guy looks like an all-star...not just the stick-handling but the constant battling for the puck...not giving up...I really can't comprehend how lucky we are to have picked him up off of WAIVERS...I mean my God what a joke. He's done so much for us...so little time too. One of my fav. players now. He looks happy...which makes me happy...seeing him and others on the team smiling consistently...or at least having something to smile about. It's refreshing.

-Lastly, the officiating in the game was horrible. Non-calls, cheap shots allowed, etc. Only thing to praise them about is that they didn't at the very end decide who was gonna win the game...which I guess is what counts the most. We beat the NJD tonight with the best lineup we'll have for the remainder of the season...idk why but I really think that the team could get on a hot-streak now...just feels right...at least as right as it has felt all season long.

Canes dominated the Devils for 40 minutes, possibly 50. Cam went save for save with him. Devils were lucky to get a point, but I guess Brodeur has stolen points for them before.

But of course, like the last victory, the win cost us another possible injury, with Gleason going down unfortunately.

I think its official...the RBC is a tough place to play in once again, the fans are great getting into it , and the team gets better as the game goes on. This win proved that, cause no team is better than the devils in the conference right now.

Great analysis, Onetimer - even if you did leave out Corvo. I'm glad your revision credited him, 'cause I couldn't be happier with his play since coming on board. Wasn't surprised to hear Ruutu got 40. Even up in the 300 section we could see blood spurting. Eaves did appear tentative. I had to keep searching out his number since he wasn't doing much to get our attention. But I'm willing to give him a while before leveling any serious criticism. This was one of the best games I've attended in a while, although I said that about last Thursday. But that was a relatively relaxing game. This one was tense in the first, breathtaking in the second - they get that goal that shouldn't have happened and then we get one back. My STH buddy noted that had anyone but Brodeur been in goal the score would've been 5-1 at the end of regulation. The third period was the fun period. As Onetimer said it was cycle, cycle, cycle. I too haven't seen that much cycling out of the 'Canes in a long, long, time. Hockey is fun to watch when your team's playing on tilted ice like ours was. And having Sammy score the game winner in OT, well, what can I say? Seems like every time I post something about Samsonov I use the phrase "what can I say", but what can I say. I predicted when we got him that he would be desperate to salvage his career - that his move here was "make it or break it", but I never thought the chemistry would be what it is. He fits like a well worn hockey glove. We're lucky to have him and I think he feels he's lucky to have us. Ruutu had my heart pumping from the minute his blades touched the ice. I hope he's okay. We need him since we got him by trading a guy who I thought was playing very well of late. As for the crowd, Legend hit the nail on the head. The family in front of us was from Harnett County. They had won tickets in a radio giveaway. It was their first hockey game and I'm glad they came on a good crowd night (I tutored them and implored them to come to more games). Despite being less than full, the RBC crowd was very LOUD. The fans showed their knowledge of the game and their passion for it. I was proud to be a 'Cane. I didn't mention a lot of guys, including Staalsy (whom I haven't called Erica in more than two months now) who have been playing hard trying to make the loss of Brindy sting less. There were a lot of them playing hard and I'll just agree again with Onetimer's analysis. Seeing Gleason being helped off the ice hurt me down deep. I hope he'll be okay. He's the one player who I think plays his heart out every game!

My best to the Caniac Nation,

Reformed Redwing

BTW, I tried my best to heed all those responses to my controversial first post about "Local Homers", but my southern hospitality evaded me some tonight. My NC native Momma, who taught me (in Detroit) to say "sir" and "m'am" and who found something good to say about everyone she ever met, is turning over in her grave tonight. I let every Devils sweater-wearing NJ fan I saw tonight know that they were in the RBC Center - not on home ice (the RBC after all isn't in Cary). C'mon folks, I was at the ESA opening night - the christening of hockey in Raleigh - when NJ beat us and their fans ragged me unmercifully. As old time southerners say - "Forgit, Hell!"

Canes dominated the Devils for 40 minutes, possibly 50. Cam went save for save with him. Devils were lucky to get a point, but I guess Brodeur has stolen points for them before.

But of course, like the last victory, the win cost us another possible injury, with Gleason going down unfortunately.

I think its official...the RBC is a tough place to play in once again, the fans are great getting into it , and the team gets better as the game goes on. This win proved that, cause no team is better than the devils in the conference right now.

Yea that's another thing I like our renewed interest in being a good home club...so glad most of our games are at home to end the season...perfect timing.

QUOTE(Heyhey whatta ya say @ Feb 26 2008, 11:53 PM)

Yea that's another thing I like our renewed interest in being a good home club...so glad most of our games are at home to end the season...perfect timing.

Don't you love reading the paper recently on the morning after big wins and hearing the players quoted as saying they could feel the crowd getting into it? It's great to know we really can inspire our team. Someone mentioned it earlier and I alluded to it in my other post - the crowd really showed their knowledge tonight. That standing 'O' after the long cycle in the third period made me recall the old days in Olympia. Gotta love those Caniacs!

"They played a lot better game -- that's the bottom line," New Jersey captain Jamie Langenbrunner said. "That's a different team than we've seen in the first three games. They played like the Carolina team we know. They were playing hard, they put a lot of good things out there, they were aggressive, and we didn't come with the same desperation they did. And it showed."

thats what i like to hear :)

Just got to see the last two periods on Center Ice... More than very impressed. I was flipping between other NHL games going on during our commercial breaks and they looked so slow and unmotivated! Caniac Nation is once again up and running full steam ahead... Go Canes!!!

"They played a lot better game -- that's the bottom line," New Jersey captain Jamie Langenbrunner said. "That's a different team than we've seen in the first three games. They played like the Carolina team we know. They were playing hard, they put a lot of good things out there, they were aggressive, and we didn't come with the same desperation they did. And it showed."

thats what i like to hear :)

That is quite a compliment, and Jamie isn't one to just throw out compliments and be nice, he's a competitor and strong leader.

-Ruutu is awesome...if he brings THAT every night then holy Lord we're gonna have one helluva of a hitter and player. Also I think he has a BIG shot...damn I see SO MUCH potential with this guy...so dynamic...things that I never saw with Ladd.

-I like how players seem to fit in so well here in Carolina...makes me feel all nice inside. Samsonov is nothing short of incredible...just loved how Emrick stated "well here comes Samsonov moving like his old Boston days..." I mean this guy looks like an all-star...not just the stick-handling but the constant battling for the puck...not giving up...I really can't comprehend how lucky we are to have picked him up off of WAIVERS...I mean my God what a joke. He's done so much for us...so little time too. One of my fav. players now. He looks happy...which makes me happy...seeing him and others on the team smiling consistently...or at least having something to smile about. It's refreshing.

Watching Ruutu from day one here in Chicago, I can tell you that he WILL bring that physical play every night. The boards are going to start to rattle in Carolina, something Im going to miss here at the United Center. You guys got a great player in Ruuty, I hope you can rebuild his confidence and make him a star. Much the same way the Canes did for Samsonov. He didnt work out here, but Im glad to see him succeeding with you guys.

Congrats to you Canes fans. Ruutie is one of a kind and will be missed dearly by hawk fans like me. I will follow his career cuz he is my fav player and thus will now become a Hurricanes fan. I was able to watch the game on tv and he didn't let me down. He plays with so much heart and that was evident tonight. Good luck Ruutie on your new endeavor in NC!!! I can't wait for you to come to Chicago Mar 12 as I will be there rooting you on.

Well welcome to Caniac nation! My wife by the way is a Blackhawks fan being from Chicago so you are not the only Hawks/Canes fan out there. :) I myself am a Wings fan converted to the Canes(i'm sure being in NC and going to games had a lot to do with it for both of us.)

As far as game analysis goes, I think everyone is in agreement that we look like a playoff team now. I can remember around the end of the year when there were nothing but negative posts on these boards.

ROOOTOOOOOOO......rocks! ....people against the boards. hehe

oh and JR? He didn't dissappoint. Thats all I gotta say.

After 3 lopsided games vs. NJ, the most impressive element I saw last night was the overall effort from the team D, including timely backchecking, especially after Gleason went out. Guys like Zajac and Parise were nearly invisible last night and Gionta didn't do much either other than benefit from Hedican's deflection.

He wasn't on the scoresheet but Corvo played a great overall game. He probably played more ES mins than he has in Canes uniform and he really was solid. A couple of times he had a borderline chance to pinch and he played it correctly and held his position. He made a lot of smart plays all night and really hasn't shown the positional lapses he did in Ottawa and LA so far.

Ruutu did what Ruutu does so there isn't much of a need to chronicle his efforts any further although his last-minute entrance was just classic. The Ruutu-Cullen-Samsonov line was flying all over the place and poses a dangerous blend of speed, puck-handling and physical edge. Eaves did very little in his debut but he was being eased in after a long absence so he can be excused.

The puck possession game and cycling at times was superb. On a couple of occasions the Canes controlled the puck at ES like they were on a 5-on-3 and if it weren't for Brodeur they could have easily scored a couple more goals with the chances they got.

Cam Ward was on his game from start to finish and his glove work was as sharp as it's been all season. He looked comfortable and confident all night.

The PK wasn't really tested but with Letowski out the burden fell to Staal and he did another nice job along with the patchwork collection of PK forwards. Even Bayda got into the act and was solid.

What was interesting was that Ruutu was started on the Walker line but Lavi quickly made the adjustent and moved him up to Cullen's line and put the Rats line back together. Lavi has taken some big hits on the board this season but this just shows you what a coach is able to do with the right players. The system stays in tact and the players all know their roles. This is perhaps the first time since October that the players all have pretty defined roles and know exactly what they need to do and with whom.

This team has the ability now with the combination of speed, skill and grit, to be able to pin opposing teams in their own zone and gas them out for loooong stretches. We are officially a 3rd period team again who is very tough to beat at home.

Im glad Eaves wasnt pushed into too much and it was a good game to get his feet wet. He just needs a little more time.

Ruutu came exactly as billed and is a an upgrade to Ladd. I hope Ladd sees his full potential in Chicago but this team couldnt afford to wait anymore. Would anyone be totally suprised to see him back in red someday though?

Corvo, my unsung hero of the game. This guy is everywhere, and in every situation and doing it very well. Our defense is playing a completely different game right now because it has the right piece to it.

Samsonov-SIGN HIM NOW!!!! Nuff said.

Still a couple a of weaker links on defense but their mistakes arent nearly as gleering when they're playing as a whole team.

Staal- We are watching a future Selke winner develop before our very eyes. Brindy's influnce....Im sure. If Staal was put on any other team, he could have developed into a great scorer no doubt, but because he had Brind'Amour as his mentor, he's learned both sides of the game so well. Lucky us.

Cam Ward- stellar perfomance and no softies. He looks so much more confident right now and his glove was crazy last night.

This team is ready for the playoffs now and I used last nights game against a surging top conference team as a measuring stick. Take a look at our remaining schedule....if they can keep up the consistent play and even if Huet/Federov perform miracles for Washington, I think we're in for a fun ride.

What was interesting was that Ruutu was started on the Walker line but Lavi quickly made the adjustent and moved him up to Cullen's line and put the Rats line back together. Lavi has taken some big hits on the board this season but this just shows you what a coach is able to do with the right players. The system stays in tact and the players all know their roles. This is perhaps the first time since October that the players all have pretty defined roles and know exactly what they need to do and with whom.

This team has the ability now with the combination of speed, skill and grit, to be able to pin opposing teams in their own zone and gas them out for loooong stretches. We are officially a 3rd period team again who is very tough to beat at home.

Im glad Eaves wasnt pushed into too much and it was a good game to get his feet wet. He just needs a little more time.

Ruutu came exactly as billed and is a an upgrade to Ladd. I hope Ladd sees his full potential in Chicago but this team couldnt afford to wait anymore. Would anyone be totally suprised to see him back in red someday though?

Corvo, my unsung hero of the game. This guy is everywhere, and in every situation and doing it very well. Our defense is playing a completely different game right now because it has the right piece to it.

Samsonov-SIGN HIM NOW!!!! Nuff said.

Still a couple a of weaker links on defense but their mistakes arent nearly as gleering when they're playing as a whole team.

Staal- We are watching a future Selke winner develop before our very eyes. Brindy's influnce....Im sure. If Staal was put on any other team, he could have developed into a great scorer no doubt, but because he had Brind'Amour as his mentor, he's learned both sides of the game so well. Lucky us.

Cam Ward- stellar perfomance and no softies. He looks so much more confident right now and his glove was crazy last night.

This team is ready for the playoffs now and I used last nights game against a surging top conference team as a measuring stick. Take a look at our remaining schedule....if they can keep up the consistent play and even if Huet/Federov perform miracles for Washington, I think we're in for a fun ride.

Great playoff atmosphere at the game. Ruutu became a fan favorite in one game. Cam pitches a shutout, but will not get credit due to Hedican. It was great to see Bret go to Cam and apparently say "my bad" after it happened. I am really glad that "oops" didn't end up costing us a point, and I don't think the point we let NJ get will really hurt. Props to Hedican on dropping the gloves to defend Gleason. The refs stepped in and didn't let it happen, but he stepped up.

Great energy the whole game. As good defensively as I've seen them play in a while.