The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
one-timer

Post Game Analysis 2/27-NJ

WOW!!!! just goes to show us that a couple of changes can make a HUGH differance!!! we needed that puckmoving defencmen(although most people on here thought corvo was a joke as well as the coching staff needed to be axed ) we needed to get younger with eaves, and ruutu really infused last nights game with some awsome hits!! maybe ruutu can jump start cole into hitting again!! everybody knew something had to change and the team has done a complete turnaround. just some fresh blood looks like what the doctor ordered!! and we are still without williams and brindy. unfortanatly i dont think brindy will ever get back to where he was with such a injury and his age. now we just need to see if the team continues to play well, then we can address some younger defencmen during the offseason, and a good backup for cammer.

My 3 stars of the game:

(1) Jim Rutherford

(2) Coach Lav

(3) Cam Ward's "Shutout" of the NJ Devils

Excellent analysis. I get your point here, but in this game I say Ward, Sampsonov, Rutherford, although I could go Ward, Sampsonov, Rutherford. Just gotta give credit to the guy who scores two of our three goals, especially if one of our three goals went into our own net.

Definitely a solid defensive game against a very solid team, but in the end when Cam Ward plays this well, we are not only good, but we are one of the best. We are still 5th in the league in goals for. If we get any defense and any goaltending we will be good, but if we get great goaltending....

Rutherford is looking pretty good, as are those of us who called for a shake up. I would definitely call trading Ladd, Stillman, and Commodore a decent shake. Sampsonov...simply a brilliant move. Maybe just a gamble that paid off, maybe Rutherford saw something, but this guy needs to stay here.

As far as going on a hot streak, don't look now, but we're on a hot streak, 13 out of the last possible 16 points. 7-2-1 over the past 10G. The only eastern team with a hotter ten games: New Jersey. The Capitals must be getting a little nervous right about now.

Atlanta laid down, but Washington brought it and it wasn't enough. Tonight we hold NJ to no goals (other than Hedican's), those two games were the test for me. We passed with flying colors!

-Lastly, the officiating in the game was horrible. Non-calls, cheap shots allowed, etc. Only thing to praise them about is that they didn't at the very end decide who was gonna win the game...which I guess is what counts the most.

I agree.....except they did miss a high stick that gave Ruutuu 40 in the face, which would have given us a power play for the remainder of the game and potentially into OT. It's a moot point because we won, but if we had lost....oh boy!

Walker & the Rats continue to put on a show. They held a cycle for what seemed like two minutes. Canes made a partial line change with out the puck coming out past the face off circle. These guys are dangerous...

The newest blood on the ice is sparking the team. (No pun intended) Corvo let one rip that I did not see until it hit the dasher. Sammie showed that he is not washed up. Ruutu played one heck of a game and showed no sign of jet lag.

I feel very good about the team, better that I have felt in the past few months.

MAn I want to see this hit by Ruutu that everyone is talking about. Is there a link to see it on the internet anywhere? I have been searching youtube for highlights, but I can't find anything.

MAn I want to see this hit by Ruutu that everyone is talking about. Is there a link to see it on the internet anywhere? I have been searching youtube for highlights, but I can't find anything.

go to the canes main site and look for "flavor of the game" in the game results section.

Link to the highlights here: NJ / Canes Hightlights[/post]

About 9 seconds in.

And BTW - nice shot of the aftermath of the high stick to Ruutu: Ruutu bleeds across the ice

Edited to add: didn't realize the whole slideshow would load. The picture of Ruutu is #16. There is a pretty good shot of the Ruutu hit on White too (1st picture).

You won't find anything on Youtube. Go to carolinahurricanes.com and look at the game profile on the screen. It should say the matchup, time, network or broadcast, etc. If the game vs. the Devils is not profiled, click on "last game" to see the score and highlights. Click on the yellow camera logo that has 700K next to it. These are the video highlights. Ruutu's crushing hit is the first highlight on the video. If you want to review previous games, scroll down the screen and click on a desired game on the calender. As for the game, I listened to it on the radio but saw the highlights afterwards and I must say Ward was awesome and Ruutu was in the mix quite a bit. I wish I was there as I heard it was a great performance by the Canes (and Caniacs!).

And Corvo - wow. Watching him move the puck really makes it clear how poor we were at doing that without him. Maybe it will wear off on Kaberle and return to something approaching what he was in the playoffs two years ago.

...Yeah...right.

Actually, the team is really starting to come together in spite of Hedican, Kaberle, and Wallin. Our new guys seem to be getting a new lease on their "hockey lives" and are really picking up the team's overall performance. With the excepthion of the above mention three, everyone seems to be getting rejuevenated.