The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
one-timer

Jim Rutherford Love

Commodore and Stillman trade saved our season, for whatever reason the team seems rejuvenated!

IMO the reason the Hurricanes have turned things around is change, simple change; fresh faces in new places always does wonder for a team trying to find it's identity!

Carolina Hurricanes have found their I.D.!

A good home team!

Who knows if the schedule may have played a part in the rejuvination, but I certainly feel that Jim Rutherford is to blame!

What is our record since the trade?

Sign Stillman to a home town discount for sure, so we can get more out of everything else!

If he won't take a haircut in pay, then I say farwell!

I think the trade and having certain injured older players out for the season is what has saved our team. These young players want to win a cup! I say we shed some payroll this off season by getting rid of the older expensive players so we can keep a guy like Sammie! The cost of one past hero with a no trade clause is equal to 2 or 3 young talented players.

We do have other players on the team that are RFA/UFAs

Believe me, with what he's shown here, I'd hate to give him up, but if he makes some outrageous offer, I'd let him go.

Rutherford will make the right decision. But seeing as Sergei has matched Staal for points lately that is extrememly impressive. He makes all the others around him bteer and may be the smartest postional player on the team.

We will see after our season ends in June.

Does anyone think Ladd maybe back in a canes uniform next season? he has carried on his scoring form in Chicago. I Love watching Ruttu play and hope he can be resigned, I'm a big Stillman fan as well but it might be better to look at some younger guys.

Does anyone think Ladd maybe back in a canes uniform next season? he has carried on his scoring form in Chicago. I Love watching Ruttu play and hope he can be resigned, I'm a big Stillman fan as well but it might be better to look at some younger guys.

No. He's an RFA an unless another team puts out an offer sheet on him and Chicago lets him go, he's the Blackhawk's property.

No. He's an RFA an unless another team puts out an offer sheet on him and Chicago lets him go, he's the Blackhawk's property.

Interesting topic because on the day of any trades 75% of the board is ready to set JR's office on fire.

Funny... but have any of them eaten crow yet? I said I'd "wait and see" regarding the Ladd - Ruutu trade, took all of 5 or so minutes of his first game to have me thinkin' JR was sly as a fox on this one, and stole a gem from the Hawks that they didn't even know they had.

Funny... but have any of them eaten crow yet? I said I'd "wait and see" regarding the Ladd - Ruutu trade, took all of 5 or so minutes of his first game to have me thinkin' JR was sly as a fox on this one, and stole a gem from the Hawks that they didn't even know they had.

Well, if Ruutu can turn into a 20 goal scorer again, then I'd say the trade was a wash. Ladd should be a 20 goal scorer...given top 2 line billing, which he didn't get very regularly here. When Ladd did play up with the top 2 lines, the guy lit the lamp for us in Feb.

Moreover, Hawk boards are stating we won't be able to resign Ruutu as he has a killer agent, some guy named Zita or Zito, or something like that. I don't know anything about him.

IMO, Ruutu is expendable and JR will be using the big bucks to keep Sammy.

However, I'd love to be wrong on this. I like what I see thus far from Ruutu. Plus, the crowd goes wild when he scores!!

My understanding is that JR does not to rent players for half a season. If so, JR must think he can re-sign Ruutu and Samsonov. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. In my view, Samsonov's role on the team has been a critical component of the improved play. Similarly, I think Ruutu provides a combination of speed, bone-crushing hitting, and passion that helps lift the play of the team in general. I can't envision a situation in which Ladd returns to the Hurricanes as long as Ruutu and/or Samsonov remain on the team. Assuming the return of Brindy and Williams, as well as LaRose, it's going to be a challenge for Lavi to figure out his lineup as it is. It's a great problem to have; however, the better the team plays, the more expensive it becomes to retain the team. On the other hand, it would seem from the player's perspective that playing on a team that fits with the player's skills is a critical element. The more a player travels from team to team, the greater the odds are that the player be less rather than more in demand. Additionally, as long as pay is relatively comparable, having a successful career on the ice should be at least as important as commanding absolute top dollar during negotiations. The off-season and the budget given to JR will speak volumes about the commitment of the owners to winning.

I would hope it won't take many bucks to keep Samsonov on the roster. If it's more than $2 million a year, Rutherford should just let him walk. This team can't afford to invest that much money into the offense when the #1 weakness has been and continues to be the defense.

I still wouldn't put it past Rutherford to be active this offseason. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cole moved in a deal that sends a top-two defenseman back to the Hurricanes.

Any move to re-acquire Ladd or Stillman would be a mistake.

Interesting topic because on the day of any trades 75% of the board is ready to set JR's office on fire.

I was going to post something along those same lines. It's funny how quickly the tide turns as the vocal critics wailed, often not even knowing who Ruutu was, to now pledging eternal loyalty. It's understandable that guys in the WC may not be that well known but how do you weigh in on a trade and call JR crazy if you haven't ever seen the guy? I don't think a Canes player has ever been so quickly embraced as Ruutu.

Not to take the thread in a totally different direction but these moves do beg the question about next year. To keep these new fan favorites and some of the existing ones, the payroll will have to go up quite a bit again. With bottom tier ticket prices still who is willing to pay more or go to more games next year to help keep these guys?

Right now the top 6 is overcrowded and a quality Dman is still needed. Cole's $4 million for next year and his market value could be reason enough for the Canes to move him. Much depends on how Williams and Brindy return to form and when but payroll will be going higher again. JR did his part so far and is within his right to ask the fans to step up next year. A favorite will have to go even if they raise ticket prices and I'm sure the love for JR will fade away again. ;)

I would hope it won't take many bucks to keep Samsonov on the roster. If it's more than $2 million a year, Rutherford should just let him walk. This team can't afford to invest that much money into the offense when the #1 weakness has been and continues to be the defense.

I still wouldn't put it past Rutherford to be active this offseason. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cole moved in a deal that sends a top-two defenseman back to the Hurricanes.

Any move to re-acquire Ladd or Stillman would be a mistake.

I'd think Sammy should command more than 2MIL, and will probably walk if that is all that JR offers. We let Cullen walk with a low offer, and ended up getting him back at a higher dollar amount. Maybe lesson learned.

I'd sure hate to see Cole go...he can singlehandedly take over games. With Ladd gone, I'm thinking Cole stays.

I'd think Sammy should command more than 2MIL, and will probably walk if that is all that JR offers. We let Cullen walk with a low offer, and ended up getting him back at a higher dollar amount. Maybe lesson learned.

I'd sure hate to see Cole go...he can singlehandedly take over games. With Ladd gone, I'm thinking Cole stays.

I agree, JR shouldn't lowball a guy who has kept up with Staal in points since coming here. Yeah, he wasn't doing well at all but it appears that is because he just wasn't working in Chicago. The guys stick handling skills are amazing and we've seen he can finish as well so no doubt that JR sees that and will do his best to keep him around.

I don't think it would be very smart to trade Cole at this pont, not with Ladd gone.

I agree, JR shouldn't lowball a guy who has kept up with Staal in points since coming here. Yeah, he wasn't doing well at all but it appears that is because he just wasn't working in Chicago. The guys stick handling skills are amazing and we've seen he can finish as well so no doubt that JR sees that and will do his best to keep him around.

I don't think it would be very smart to trade Cole at this pont, not with Ladd gone.

The problem is that some teams won't blink at throwing upwards $4 million for Samsonov and the Canes won't be able to go that high unless someone like Cole is moved. Even then it will a tight fit given the current contract status of roster players.

The Canes have only about a dozen guys under contract for next year with a commitment already of around $35 million. The others are either RFA's or UFA's and a guy like Gleason is line for a pretty good increase. Let's say they stick to the $45 million budget, very doubtful but let's use it for comparison sake, for next year too. That leaves only $10 million to sign 10 or 11 roster players. An existing big number is going to have to go almost certainly.

Actually, as I am sure your impeccable research of my previous posts has already told you, I've been a JR supporter the entire way through this years trades. :P

As my original post said, the value of his work this year is in not mortaging our future to make moves.

IMO, Andrew Ladd is a nice young man with offensive upside, little demonstrated ability to play defense, or special team play, oft injured, and not much of a passer. He may turn into a power forward who can generate 20 goals a year.

Ruutu seems like a nice young man with offensive upside, demonstrated ability to play defense and special teams, oft injured, and some ability to pass. He has also already had a 20 goal season and was on track for a 2nd one last year if he would have put in the entire season. That's a net gain in anyone's book and imo merely spells the end of the Trevor Letwoski center experiment with the Canes as he is the odd man out now when the lines adjust.

Well, if Ruutu can turn into a 20 goal scorer again, then I'd say the trade was a wash. Ladd should be a 20 goal scorer...given top 2 line billing, which he didn't get very regularly here. When Ladd did play up with the top 2 lines, the guy lit the lamp for us in Feb.

Moreover, Hawk boards are stating we won't be able to resign Ruutu as he has a killer agent, some guy named Zita or Zito, or something like that. I don't know anything about him.

IMO, Ruutu is expendable and JR will be using the big bucks to keep Sammy.

However, I'd love to be wrong on this. I like what I see thus far from Ruutu. Plus, the crowd goes wild when he scores!!

I will have to disagree Ivy and I tell you why, Ruutu is a RFA so the only way he goes is an offer sheet that we refuse to match so any team that signs him will have to be willing to give up pics in addition to offering a salary we won't match (Edmonton might be the only one crazy enough). I think that Ruutu and Sammy will like it enough here that they won't be motivated by the $$$. and as for a previous poster, Ladd is the property of the Blackhawks and is only gone under similar circumstances.

No matter how tough his agent is, everyone (other GM's included) knows he isn't putting up killer numbers and just because he fits here doesn't mean he will fit elsewhere (just look at Sammy's travels). The only way this gets to be a bidding war is if we win the cup and Ruutu is the MVP. In that case it will be a good problem to have.

I think it is likely that Karmanos will face the choice of increasing the budget or losing the trust of his fan base (which leads to less revenue for the team) if he fails to show a commitment to signing the quality players he has. I suspect that there are additional revenues from corporate sponsorships that could and would be available as long as the team continues to play passionately. Any professional sports team is also a business, obviously, but it is a poor business decision to fail to hear a team's fans when they support the team. In other words, management has to show a will to field a team that can win, and the fan base has to have the commitment to reasonably fund the maintenance of the team.

That or Karmanos has to move up the budget.

Clearly, which is why I stated it was "very doubtful" they keep the budget the same.

But it does bring up the point again about the P&L side of things. Something will have to give soon. Attendance is good but not great and he will lose money again this year without a Cup finals appearance. It's a business and if you increase payroll, you have to increase revenue streams and that means ticket increases.

But it does bring up the point again about the P&L side of things. Something will have to give soon. Attendance is good but not great and he will lose money again this year without a Cup finals appearance. It's a business and if you increase payroll, you have to increase revenue streams and that means ticket increases.

Moot point, as long as PK continues to be "ok" with losing money on the Canes. He and JR admitted to only making money on paper during the cup run. So while I agree with the basic economic principles of your post, it's not just about the money to PK.

I suspect that there are additional revenues from corporate sponsorships that could and would be available as long as the team continues to play passionately.

Sadly,

It is the corporate sponsers that have been disappointing in the last 2 years. Maybe someone has the link but I can remember a quote by JR stating the Corporate box and sponser money was an area they needed to improve.

Moot point, as long as PK continues to be "ok" with losing money on the Canes. He and JR admitted to only making money on paper during the cup run. So while I agree with the basic economic principles of your post, it's not just about the money to PK.

It's not a moot point though because he said not long that long ago and I'm paraphrasing that he could live with the losses for now. The last part is pretty telling and though he's been successful with Compuware he isn't exactly the richest owner especially as Compuware has struggled the last few years.

I'm not sure what your "on paper" comment is to imply but making a profit in only 1 year out of 10 makes you run out of patience pretty quickly. There definitely is an ego side to owning a team but money is important to Karmanos.

The team can be faulted for not doing a better job of widening the fanbase through marketing and not selling corporate sponsorships but by the same token average prices are incredibly low on a relative basis. Who knows what the new cap will be next year but if you tried to re-sign all the UFA's and RFA's, making certain assumptions about raises and salaries, they could easy exceed the cap. That's the point that is getting lost I think.

It's not a moot point though because he said not long that long ago and I'm paraphrasing that he could live with the losses for now. The last part is pretty telling and though he's been successful with Compuware he isn't exactly the richest owner especially as Compuware has struggled the last few years.

I'm not sure what your "on paper" comment is to imply but making a profit in only 1 year out of 10 makes you run out of patience pretty quickly. There definitely is an ego side to owning a team but money is important to Karmanos.

The team can be faulted for not doing a better job of widening the fanbase through marketing and not selling corporate sponsorships but by the same token average prices are incredibly low on a relative basis. Who knows what the new cap will be next year but if you tried to re-sign all the UFA's and RFA's, making certain assumptions about raises and salaries, they could easy exceed the cap. That's the point that is getting lost I think.

A loss "on paper" is not always a loss, though the "carolina hurricanes" may be showing a loss I am willing to bet a dollar to a doughnut that "gale force entertainment" (which owns the hurricanes, rights to the arena, all parking, concessions, etc) has not lost the first dime!!

I think it is likely that Karmanos will face the choice of increasing the budget or losing the trust of his fan base (which leads to less revenue for the team) if he fails to show a commitment to signing the quality players he has. I suspect that there are additional revenues from corporate sponsorships that could and would be available as long as the team continues to play passionately. Any professional sports team is also a business, obviously, but it is a poor business decision to fail to hear a team's fans when they support the team. In other words, management has to show a will to field a team that can win, and the fan base has to have the commitment to reasonably fund the maintenance of the team.

It's a fine line you walk but the reality is that attendance this year is off by about 1,000/game while the payroll again has gone up. With average ticket prices still in the bottom 3-4, you can't keep relatively flat revenues going against rapidly rising payroll costs forever.