The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Anyone else starting to fear the future?

You can't always worry about other teams. If you start worrying about what Washington or Atlanta is doing, then you set yourself up for disaster. You need to concentrate on yourself. Take care of your business then it won't matter what other teams are doing.

It'll be nice to have competition in the division.

Besides whose to say they sign Huet in the off season. What if Huet decides to test the market and gets a better offer somewhere else. There's no guarantee he stays in Washington. Also, how do you know that crazy Kevin Lowe doesn't throw an offer sheet Greene's way, an offer so off the way that Leonis can't afford.

Quite worrying about stuff you have no control of. I'm glad JR, Lavi, and the team don't worry about what other teams are doing.

Frog, you could make winning the Powerball sound depressing. There is enough parity in the leage that none of this should matter.

:lol: I've long thought the same about his posts, always pretty pessimistic

Again, this isn't about this year. If you noticed, I said we were pretty set on this year. This isn't even about next year, since I believe we're pretty set then. If not, then oh well.

This is about a couple years from now. Wesley retires, Brindamour retires, Ovechkin hits 100 points consistently. Backstrom develops into the center who sets him up.

This isn't a panic thread, it's more of a "hypothetical situation" thread.

Will our players be able to progress at the same level as the Caps players might to keep in contention?

:lol: I've long thought the same about his posts, always pretty pessimistic

Some, maybe. But apparently since I've gotten a reputation around here, everyone takes everything I post as negative without actually reading them. <_<

This isn't? Have you read your own title?

"Anyone else starting to fear the future?"

With the way the league works, who even knows what the rules will be in three years, let alone if Backstom will become...I dont know...Sidney Crosby?

BTW: Huet left the game after the second period with back spasms. *runs to the Caps baord to see if panic and mayhem has broken out*

With the way the league works, who even knows what the rules will be in three years, let alone if Backstom will become...I dont know...Sidney Crosby?

BTW: Huet left the game after the second period with back spasms. *runs to the Caps baord to see if panic and mayhem has broken out*

Catchy thread title gets people to read it, no?

Yeah, I could have worded it better, but like I said, no one reads it anyways. They see my name, believe they get the general idea of the thread, then write it off as a pessimist thread (because apparently those aren't allowed here).

The topic is valid, but I have too much faith in the franchise to worry about what other teams are doing and/or what their future holds. If anything, JR makes me feel safe about the direction of this franchise.

Yeah, I could have worded it better, but like I said, no one reads it anyways. They see my name, believe they get the general idea of the thread, then write it off as a pessimist thread (because apparently those aren't allowed here).

Nice try, if they werent allowed, half of this board would be empty this season....and last for that matter.

Nice try, if they werent allowed, half of this board would be empty this season....and last for that matter.

Oh, you can create them just fine. But they always end up with the optimists getting offended, because they take criticism of the team as a personal insult, then both sides exchange insults, ultimately ending up with the topic getting locked and the TC's point being lost.

Oh, you can create them just fine. But they always end up with the optimists getting offended, because they take criticism of the team as a personal insult, then both sides exchange insults, ultimately ending up with the topic getting locked and the TC's point being lost.

We can take this to pm.

We can take this to pm.

But closer than they appear? :P

True, and to address the issue you bring up in the original post: yes, I am a little worried about the future. They do have some real good young players, but realistically how many of them will they be able to keep? How many UFAs/RFAs are due raises at the end of the season regardless of if/how they play in the playoffs? Are they also going to be handcuffed by budget restraints (and if so what will it be)? And in the end we are, as of right now, still 3 points ahead while giving up only one game. I'm still nervous about what could happen this year as I am just a pessimist by nature. I've told friends that the Hurricanes need to make some noise now while they're in a good position to because the Capitals might finally have something going for them. But I try not to think about how other teams might end up playing in a couple of years. I am thinking about this year and only this year as of right now because they're in a pretty good position to get to the playoffs once again.

anyways guys, this thread isn't about icefrogg, I didn't even noticed who posted what. I just read the opening thread and jotted down my opinions. So if you want to share your thought son the Canes future in the southeast, feel free to,lol.

I heated rivalry between two good teams is a good thing. Witness the rivalry between the Yankees and Red Sox.

Mostly, I'm worried about Staal. I love that he's improved his 2-way game and his faceoffs (right? I think that's up), but the points don't lie.

100 points to 70 to barely making 70 this year.

You can blame injuries if you'd like, but it's not just that. He does have a knack of just shutting down midway through the season. And I'm sure if Rod hadn't gone down, he'd still be in his little slump.

Mostly, I'm worried about Staal. I love that he's improved his 2-way game and his faceoffs (right? I think that's up), but the points don't lie.

100 points to 70 to barely making 70 this year.

You can blame injuries if you'd like, but it's not just that. He does have a knack of just shutting down midway through the season. And I'm sure if Rod hadn't gone down, he'd still be in his little slump.

I'm really starting to worry that you've bumped your head. If your worried about Staal right now you haven't watched the games very closely. Staal has played the best hockey of his career. He has become the leader of this team and he is playing both ends of the ice. I'll give you that Washington is a up and coming team but Staal has nothing to do with your argument.

Let's be thankful he's even making more than 50 points in a season. Some 1st round picks don't accumulate to anything. Granted, I wish Staalsy would step up his game, and score 50 plus goals.... but maybe he's turning more into Brindy than anything else. Getting the faceoffs, 2 way playing, being more defensive minded...

Also, 3 years from now is still a little bit aways. We could draft someone and they could totally take off in progress and be the equivalent of Crosby and AO. That probability is a little low... but hypothetically, it could happen, eh? ;)

Another point... will the nucleus stay together?? Will they be tempted elsewhere, traded for experience during a playoff run, things of that nature? Who's to say they leave for free agency and don't sign here with us? Anythings possible. But yes... I doubted Washington at the beginning of the season, and someone with a AO avatar who was a regular went back and forth with me about how good they're going to be, etc etc... boy, did he hit the nail on the head...

Anyway... right now, I'm worried about this season. In the off season, if I was JR, I would take a long look at my rosters in the NHL and AHL, and see how things are going. Where's the youth, the development, how long would it take if we drafted so and so today to progress... But for now, it's 07-08 and we're in the middle of a playoff race. First things first.. bring home another cup.

The only thing I worry about is our defense. If that doesn't improve, it doesn't matter how good the Caps are, we won't matter

But as far as the Caps? Please

We have Staal, Ward, Samsonov, Cole, Williams, Eaves, Sutter, Ruutu, and now Corvo. We have the pieces to be dominant, we just need to be healthy and put it all together. We also need to shrug off some of our dead weight and as soon as we shore things up, we're gonna be a very good team.

Am I worried about Washington? No, they have a superstar player (Ovechkin), a talented right hand man (Semin), a decent goalie (Huet), and an aging soon to be retired forward (Fedorov)... 2 years from now (if not next year) they'll be searching for answers because they can't cut it in an improved Southeast. They have too much salary wrapped up in too few players. Yes, they're fun to watch now, but they're going to hit that wall that the Lightning hit where they have to improve but they have no financial means to do so and they'll suffer.

The only thing I worry about is our defense. If that doesn't improve, it doesn't matter how good the Caps are, we won't matter

But as far as the Caps? Please

We have Staal, Ward, Samsonov, Cole, Williams, Eaves, Sutter, Ruutu, and now Corvo. We have the pieces to be dominant, we just need to be healthy and put it all together. We also need to shrug off some of our dead weight and as soon as we shore things up, we're gonna be a very good team.

Am I worried about Washington? No, they have a superstar player (Ovechkin), a talented right hand man (Semin), a decent goalie (Huet), and an aging soon to be retired forward (Fedorov)... 2 years from now (if not next year) they'll be searching for answers because they can't cut it in an improved Southeast. They have too much salary wrapped up in too few players. Yes, they're fun to watch now, but they're going to hit that wall that the Lightning hit where they have to improve but they have no financial means to do so and they'll suffer.

I think the defense will start to look better, we have Corvo joining us this last bit of the season, Gleason is emerging into a great defender, Borer is a force in Albany and a few other unsung prospects are down in Albany doing well too, heck, even Conboy is looking okay. We have a lot of depth at forward, which Washington does not, and this is correct, just like Tampa Bay they have put all their money into a top line, thats it.

Our depth at forward should open up some moves and help us land some good dmen. I'll admit, I bash Cam a lot, but I realize he is young, and I think he'll be a very VERY good goaltender in the near future.