The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 3/8-Sabres

3. Ruutu just brings it! He's creating so much space for Staal, and getting the hard work done. He is a great winger for Staal.

I totally agree here. His physicality and gritty play really open up some lanes for Samsonov and Staal.

4. Not sure what others saw in Kaberle because he coughed the puck up several times that nearly cost the Canes.

I saw +1 with very very solid play on the backend with Corvo. No giveaways tonight on his part, so I'm not sure where he was "coughing it up".

6. Cam Ward was "average" (but boy the extremes in that estimate!).

I definitely agree here. He had some great saves, but he also let in some goals that I think he should stop, and had that Conklin-esque play off the boards.

Our PP wasnt completely effective but Id blame it more on a team who was prepared and did their homework rather than all of a sudden we forgot how to set up the PP. Like others noticed, the Sabres covered Corvo well, blocked shots and clogged lanes very well. Adjustments were made from both teams all game. Good, now the coaching staff can work on adjustments for the next team we run into that does their homework.

i agree, two previous games we had two cross ice passes that resulted in pp goals (the passes were to corvo).

buffalo certainly did do their homework.

Our PP wasnt completely effective but Id blame it more on a team who was prepared and did their homework rather than all of a sudden we forgot how to set up the PP. Like others noticed, the Sabres covered Corvo well, blocked shots and clogged lanes very well. Adjustments were made from both teams all game. Good, now the coaching staff can work on adjustments for the next team we run into that does their homework.

Yeah, the Sabres were ready for our PP, but to be honest, the adjustments we would need to make to counter their PK if we happen to meet up with them in the playoffs (or even for the upcoming game this week) are minor and only would constitute a couple look overs of the game film and we'd be ok. I mean they did suffocate our players when they needed to, but at the same time, our guys just held onto the puck too much sometimes and we stifled our own PP more than their PK did. We just weren't prepared for what they brought to the table.

I will say this... Our PP is MUCH better when we are skating the puck into the zone rather than the dump and chase we have so frustratingly gotten used to. The dump and chase results in an immediate clear of the zone 50% of the time. When we skate it in, we guarantee that we have the puck in their zone. With the puckhandlers we have, we should never have to dump and chase. I mean it frustrates me to watch guys like Samsonov, Cullen, Staal, Cole, Corvo, etc dumping the puck into the zone when they could just as easily skate it in, throw a couple dekes, and drop it back to the blueline to allow for the PP to set up. It was no surprise our only PPG came last night on the only PP sequence where we actually skated the puck in rather than the dump and chase.

Yeah, the Sabres were ready for our PP, but to be honest, the adjustments we would need to make to counter their PK if we happen to meet up with them in the playoffs (or even for the upcoming game this week) are minor and only would constitute a couple look overs of the game film and we'd be ok. I mean they did suffocate our players when they needed to, but at the same time, our guys just held onto the puck too much sometimes and we stifled our own PP more than their PK did. We just weren't prepared for what they brought to the table.

I will say this... Our PP is MUCH better when we are skating the puck into the zone rather than the dump and chase we have so frustratingly gotten used to. The dump and chase results in an immediate clear of the zone 50% of the time. When we skate it in, we guarantee that we have the puck in their zone. With the puckhandlers we have, we should never have to dump and chase. I mean it frustrates me to watch guys like Samsonov, Cullen, Staal, Cole, Corvo, etc dumping the puck into the zone when they could just as easily skate it in, throw a couple dekes, and drop it back to the blueline to allow for the PP to set up. It was no surprise our only PPG came last night on the only PP sequence where we actually skated the puck in rather than the dump and chase.

From what I saw, the only time the dump didnt result in our possession was when Miller got a stick on it somehow and got it out or or at least to someone who could. Most times our players will win the board battles and come up with the puck so when the neutral zone is clogged or the Pker's are set up ready to thwart the attack, I have no problem with the dump and chase. In most cases, we are much faster than opposing teams too, Buffalo just happens to be as speedy as we are on those races to the pucks.

From what I saw, the only time the dump didnt result in our possession was when Miller got a stick on it somehow and got it out or or at least to someone who could. Most times our players will win the board battles and come up with the puck so when the neutral zone is clogged or the Pker's are set up ready to thwart the attack, I have no problem with the dump and chase. In most cases, we are much faster than opposing teams too, Buffalo just happens to be as speedy as we are on those races to the pucks.

I counted multiple times where it would result in a scrum that would waste 5-10 seconds, where it would eventually be kicked out to a Sabres defender and immediately cleared...

I counted multiple times where it would result in a scrum that would waste 5-10 seconds, where it would eventually be kicked out to a Sabres defender and immediately cleared...

I probably wasnt watching it as closely as you so maybe they just need to adjust that against speedy teams like the Sabres.

I probably wasnt watching it as closely as you so maybe they just need to adjust that against speedy teams like the Sabres.

I thought Carolina came out with a lot of energy, Corvo is exactly what you guys needed, a puck moving D-man to get the puck to the wingers especially in the 1st period. He really helps establish play in the offensive zone, something Commodre wasn't as good at.

I said in the game day thread the Sabres couldn't have any mental lapses and had to have a conservative game 7 mentality. To many stupid penalites, and I don't know what some of the Sabres D-men were doing. I counted at least 4 times they tried to skate up the middle right in front of Miller and it resulted in a turnover. Go up the boards, not the middle... I dunno how many times I yelled that at the tv last night haha.

I thought the Sabres did a good job on the pk, not letting the Canes to cycle it around by pressuring Corvo/whoever was on the point. Miller was outstanding and Ward was solid, not giving up many second chances besides the Sabres third goal. Hecht back in the lineup was huge, he is are best pk'r when healthy and it showed helping killing the first 7 power plays. Defiently our best two way player.

Samsonov is wow, talk about a comeback from out of nowhere. Can't say enough about his play.

Also, I was thinking that it's not such a bad thing Rod Brindamour is out. Obviously you want him to play, but this team is getting leadership from others players that are stepping up in his time off.

The first goal against Ward was horrible. That should not have happened. We still need to work on that puck handling behind the net Mr. Barasso.

I'm thinking that he should have covered the puck up and held it as he had a few Sabres skaters right close on that play.

I know many have said Kaberle played well, but if you looked closely he is too slow and mechanical at the point. A couple of times the puck cleared the zone, or he took a poor angle where the puck hit the boards and then bounced out. That doesn't happen to Corvo, who even gets on a knee and then moves it VERY quickly.

Frank Kaberle is no Joe Corvo. Hell, even Cullen let a few puck out of the zone last night! Give Frank a break, he's FINALLY playing well and still it's not enough.

Yep...multiple times on the same power play, even!

I love hearing all of these wonderful things from opposing fans about Ryan Miller, seriously guys, thanks. lol :)

Now if only the Sabres could get a good strong defense in front of him! They were already having trouble WITH Brian Campbell. Campbell wasn't even the best in his own end, but he was a skater, and could be relied upon to skate the puck out of the zone. The annoying part is that we have defensemen who seem to have the ability to each have strong games in their right, but they have been so incredibly inconsistant, and if one guy is going good, the rest of them are floundering and making mistake after mistake. For example, last night, Andrej Sekera was once again the Sabres best defensemen - and he's an AHL call up. The loss of Tallinder in Philly on Tuesday didn't help either, causing the pairs to change once again.

What an exciting game though. The way the Sabres were playing in the first had me incredibly worried, and once the Canes tallied their first two goals, I was certain it'd be another 6-2 game.

My seat is directly on the goal line where the Canes shoot twice. If Miller had not been All-World last night the results wouldn't have been pretty.

What an exciting game though. The way the Sabres were playing in the first had me incredibly worried, and once the Canes tallied their first two goals, I was certain it'd be another 6-2 game.

See my previous quote about Miller... If he had not been in net it would have been 6-2 or worse...

All I'd really like to add was our complete lack of cycling the puck even strength. I can't remember a game in a few months where we cycled it even strength so little. It seemed we were determined to shoot as soon as we brought the puck into the zone OR we couldnt get teh cycle going. Exact opposite of the last NJ DEvils game.

If it's a one game blip or it was strategy great. Otherwise, we've got to do a better job wearing down the other teams defense and cycling.

All I'd really like to add was our complete lack of cycling the puck even strength. I can't remember a game in a few months where we cycled it even strength so little. It seemed we were determined to shoot as soon as we brought the puck into the zone OR we couldnt get teh cycle going. Exact opposite of the last NJ DEvils game.

If it's a one game blip or it was strategy great. Otherwise, we've got to do a better job wearing down the other teams defense and cycling.

I agree for the most part. Some where along the 3rd period it picked up but not as intense as the wild game.