The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Proud2BCaniac

Post-Game Analysis 3/12 - Blackhawks

Cullen was back on the bench and out on the ice congratulating Ward for the win. He probably just didn't play again as a precautionary measure with us up 3-0 with a few minutes to go.

Cullen was back on the bench and out on the ice congratulating Ward for the win. He probably just didn't play again as a precautionary measure with us up 3-0 with a few minutes to go.

Was thinking the same thing. If it were actually serious, he wouldn't have left the locker room to come back the bench. Plus (and I only saw it twice) it looked like his shoulder(s) took 90% of his weight from the fall. Even though his face/shield/neck hit the ice first, his body didn't slow down any until his shoulders hit. He's probably fine.

1st Star: It's Staal for me, simply because he gave the team the win early on. Cam did a great job of keeping it.

2nd Star: Cam Ward. So glad he got the shut-out; great saves throughout the game and looked comfortable with the lead.

3rd Star: Team Defense. We blocked shots, broke up passes, and just generally were there to meet the challenge every time Chicago had a good scoring chance. You take the team's effort tonight combined with Cam's play and it's no surprise we got the shut-out victory. Yes Chicago was a tired team, but they came on in the 2nd and 3rd periods to make it a game...yet the 'Canes stayed steady and won it comfortably.

Great game overall, and now on to Buffalo!

So just got back from the game at the United Center...

Had a great time here in Chicago and heading back in the morning....

The fans in Chi-Town were great.

Loudest I even heard the fans were during the national anthem...I felt like I was at a movie threatre from time to time!!

It was great to see a good crowd there, as the blackhawks are gaining more wins that use to be a empty stadium through the years they werent winning.

Their jumbotron was awesome!! Hd all the good stuff...

Funniest thing is all the fans I spoke to think we are in Charlotte....

The concessions and parking were much higher than back in Raleigh of course.

Hot dogs 5.00, parking 18.00, front row seats 250.00 and the beer was actually reasonable at 16 ounces for 6.00.

Cam was stellar ,power play was clicking as well.

The Hawks were tired just from what I seen during the pre-game skate

It was really wierd seeing the "Adams family" and Ladd on the opposing team.

Kevyn Adams came by the seat as I was popping my Hurricanes jersey on the glass ,he smiled and winked to me.

Heres to a great a win!!

the in house PA guy called us the carolina panthers.

what the hell? otherwise, great game, great first away canes game for me :)

also, apparently my friend and i were on tv for the raleigh broadcast...so anyone that saw a redheaded 18 yearold with a curly haired brunette, it was me.

Yeah, our every day PA announcer Gene Honda has been on vacation for the past few games. I caught that mistake too.

Anyway, it was a tough game to watch as a Hawk fan, but I was certainly impressed with what I saw with this Canes team. Staal is a great young player and Cam Ward played a very solid game.

The play through the neutral zone was great, terrific transitions and great team speed. Great offensive zone presence from setting up behind the net to point shots through traffic. You guys caught a break on the first power play goal with Keith being knocked stickless and blowing coverage in the slot as a result, but no excuses for the next two. Little mistakes by the Hawks and the Canes just capitalized and that is where it counts.

All in all it was good to see Ruutu back in the United Center, guy is a hockey player and I have a ton of respect for him. Not the outcome I was hoping for but whats better than live hockey right?

You guys have a great team there, good luck through the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

First of all, Cam Ward was nothing short of outstanding. He was clear and crisp, very sharp and played very smart. No dumb mistakes like in the Buffalo game

>_<. Since Roddy has been out, we all looked to Staal for the leadership role. All I can say to that is he has filled the shoes he was meant to be in here at Carolina. Something seems to be clicking, don't know what it is but i wont complain. Everyone is playing like the playoffs are on the line, which of course they are. Everything we needed the team to do after losing j will, roddy, and rosey has happened. Gotta keep the intensity up on the road. Buffalo will be extremely tough as they are in the midst of the playoff race themselves. Sergei, who has quickly become my favorite player, has been a huge pickup, as everyone knows. Keep it up boys, the team that enters the playoffs hot has a good chance of takin it home. : )

Was thinking the same thing. If it were actually serious, he wouldn't have left the locker room to come back the bench. Plus (and I only saw it twice) it looked like his shoulder(s) took 90% of his weight from the fall. Even though his face/shield/neck hit the ice first, his body didn't slow down any until his shoulders hit. He's probably fine.

I really did not think it looked very serious...though when he's already had one serious concussion this season you never know how easily another can be caused.

I missed almost the whole 2nd, I'm glad I did not miss much scoring wise.

I thought Scott Walker really played well in the 3rd...too bad he didn't score on his (semi)breakaway.

A good 20 minute effort. Then we just played to hold on instead of attacking. That will not turn out well against Buffalo.

You can play to hold on against Chicago. Chicago is young and fighting for a playoff spot. If you take their will away early, they'll die down. Exactly what they did. Lavi's system takes alot out of you and if you can get a break here and there, you take it. I think that was their mind set. Get a good lead, then just hold on. They know they will need Lavi's aggressive attack system for 60 minutes on Friday, I have no problem with them conserving that energy last night.

Congrats to Cam on the shutout, and kudos to Staal from giving Cam the puck.

Staal was freakin awesome last night. That kid just amazes me. He's got the fire in his eyes and he is determined to get this team to the playoffs. I thought his line (Cole/Ruutu) were the best of the night.

Glad that Sammy and Ruutu were both able to rack up a point against their old team. And as much as I liked Kevyn, Craig, and Ladd, good to see them held off the scoresheet.

I thought the Canes had a pretty awesome showing in first period. Chicago's "youngn's" didn't look like they were physically or mentally ready to deal with the Canes. Our PP and PK was effective, our defensive effort was there as well and the few real chances the Hawks had, either Cam or the goal post stepped up to shut them down. One negative that could very well haunt us in the playoffs is our below average face-off percentage. Winning only 35% of them can be a huge momentum killer against better teams or when the chips are down next month.

The Canes are "only" six points out of 1st place in the EC. :ph34r:

One negative that could very well haunt us in the playoffs is our below average face-off percentage. Winning only 35% of them can be a huge momentum killer against better teams or when the chips are down next month.

Great game and sweet justice for Samsonov and Ruutu to get their points against a coach who publicly called them out. Staal continues to impress and it was great that Cole and Cullen got on the board early too. The PP just keeps on chugging and the PK has been solid giving me some optimism that whatever was ailing it has now been corrected. They're gonna give one up now and then but it seems they've plugged the leak that was killing us. Good to see Ladd doing well and the Adam's boys too. CAds almost had a goal if it was't for the post.

PP-fixed

PK-fixed

Defense-much improved

Scoring-from all lines

TeamToughness- absolutely

Injuries-no problem

One last adjustment needed for the final push....faceoffs. They NEED to get better at winning faceoffs for the playoffs.

Sunday will be a good test to see how they match up to a good faceoff team.

One negative that could very well haunt us in the playoffs is our below average face-off percentage. Winning only 35% of them can be a huge momentum killer against better teams or when the chips are down next month.

Great game and sweet justice for Samsonov and Ruutu to get their points against a coach who publicly called them out. Staal continues to impress and it was great that Cole and Cullen got on the board early too. The PP just keeps on chugging and the PK has been solid giving me some optimism that whatever was ailing it has now been corrected. They're gonna give one up now and then but it seems they've plugged the leak that was killing us. Good to see Ladd doing well and the Adam's boys too. CAds almost had a goal if it was't for the post.

PP-fixed

PK-fixed

Defense-much improved

Scoring-from all lines

Injuries-no problem

One last adjustment needed for the final push....faceoffs. They NEED to get better at winning faceoffs for the playoffs.

CAds almost had a goal if it was't for the post.

Based on his past performance as Cane, we started a bet early in the game on how many times he'd hit the post during the game.

There were absolutely no doubts he would hit the post, argument was how many times it would happen. :rolleyes:

Based on his past performance as Cane, we started a bet early in the game on how many times he'd hit the post during the game.

There were absolutely no doubts he would hit the post, argument was how many times it would happen. :rolleyes:

he only got one right?

PP-fixed

PK-fixed

Defense-much improved

Scoring-from all lines

Injuries-no problem

I would add Goaltending: significantly improved.

Yes, very good point. Fixed.

PP-fixed

PK-fixed

Defense-much improved

Scoring-from all lines

Injuries-no problem

Goaltending-significantly improved

Yes, very good point. Fixed.

PP-fixed

PK-fixed

Defense-much improved

Scoring-from all lines

Injuries-no problem

Goaltending-significantly improved

I only got a chance to watch the third period, and the guys looked great. Cam was looking like it was 2006 all over again.

What I really noticed was the physicality. The whole team was finishing checks and throwing their body around. I was really glad to see that, especially from the defense.

Got that right TSA! That stat hurt my eyes. Hockey good were smiling on us with heavy metal ringing around Cam.

Good game in several aspects. Moved the puck well and PP look very good. I want to thank that Black Hawk farm team for working with our most recent player acquisitions this season. If you have any more to send our way please see JR.